SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

aerogt3 Oct 17, 2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6771670)
The OB Rag has written an anti-development article on Mission Valley. Please comment against their efforts to raise opposition to needed housing and mixed-use developments. PLEASE!

http://obrag.org/?p=88272#comments

"I already have a home, we don't need to build any more of them." God, what a horrible mind set. :hell:

Such hipocrisy. The reason MV was developed in the first place was because people in existing areas preferred expansion to density.

Leo the Dog Oct 17, 2014 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerogt3 (Post 6771946)
"I already have a home, we don't need to build any more of them." God, what a horrible mind set. :hell:

Haha geez. That comment is so bad it's comical.

spoonman Oct 17, 2014 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6771670)
The OB Rag has written an anti-development article on Mission Valley. Please comment against their efforts to raise opposition to needed housing and mixed-use developments. PLEASE!

http://obrag.org/?p=88272#comments

Wow! Wish the OB'ers were smart enough to realize that if they don't want density in their neighborhood, they shouldn't combat it in MV. Density will ultimately find the path of least resistance in this city.

SDfan Oct 17, 2014 9:23 PM

More apartments for College Area.

Quote:

Rize Eagles LLC to Build Apartments in College Area

Rize Eagles LLC has purchased a 1.8-acre parcel of land at 6244 El Cajon Blvd. in the College area to build an apartment complex with up to 130 units. The land was purchased from the Carpenter Family Trust for $3.5 million. The site is currently occupied by the Campus Medical-Dental Center. Colliers International and Berkshire Hathaway were the brokers in the transaction.

http://www.sandiegometro.com/2014/10...oct-17-2014-2/

embora Oct 18, 2014 4:15 AM

Regarding the Mid-Coast Trolley: I received the below email today mentioning that the project recently received its federal environmental approval:

Quote:

The Mid-Coast Trolley project reached a significant milestone this week when the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) signed the Record of Decision for the federal environmental document on October 15. Called the Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS), the approval of this environmental review is an important step forward in the effort to extend Trolley service to the northern part of San Diego. The Final SEIS will be available on the project website in early November.

“This is great news for our region,” said Supervisor Ron Roberts, a member of the SANDAG Board and champion of the Mid-Coast Trolley. “Obtaining the Record of Decision from the FTA brings us closer to providing fast, reliable transit service to dozens of communities and regional assets like the VA Hospital and UC San Diego.”

The next step will be for the SANDAG Board of Directors to certify the state environmental review, called the Final Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (SEIR). This is anticipated to happen in November.

The Mid-Coast Trolley is one of the region’s highest priority transit projects and is included in the TransNet Early Action Program. As an extension of the Trolley’s Blue Line, when complete, it will provide a one-seat (no transfer) ride from the international border and communities south of Downtown San Diego all the way to University City. It is projected to increase daily transit ridership by 21,000 people.

Construction on the Mid-Coast Trolley is anticipated to start in late 2015, with service beginning in 2019. In May, the SANDAG Board of Directors selected Mid Coast Transit Constructors, a joint venture firm of Stacy & Witbeck, Inc., Skanska USA, and Herzog Contracting Corporation, to serve as the construction manager/general contractor for the project.

Visit sandag.org/midcoast for more information about the project. For information about contracting opportunities within the project for small businesses, Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (DBEs), and Underutilized Disadvantaged Business Enterprises (UDBEs), please visit sandag.org/contracts.

http://www.sandag.org/uploads/projec..._250_16886.jpg

aerogt3 Oct 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embora (Post 6773124)
Regarding the Mid-Coast Trolley: I received the below email today mentioning that the project recently received its federal environmental approval:

Why do transit projects have such extensive enrivonmental reviews to begin with? Aren't they an obvious enough environmental benefit?

BART to San Jose up in the bay area sat in EIR stages for years.

Leo the Dog Oct 20, 2014 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerogt3 (Post 6774938)
Why do transit projects have such extensive enrivonmental reviews to begin with? Aren't they an obvious enough environmental benefit?

BART to San Jose up in the bay area sat in EIR stages for years.

Well unless it disrupts a colony of fairy shrimp.

It's pretty ridiculous how long it takes to build anything. If we had all these regulations back in the day, there's no way the U.S. would've became a super power. Imagine if NY had a coastal commission in the 1800s that set a 30 ft height limit on Manhattan.

nezbn22 Oct 20, 2014 6:49 PM

Another gaslamp/EV hotel coming:

http://www.sdbj.com/news/2014/oct/16...own-san-diego/

This is the first I've heard of a hotel on that spot. Article doesn't give a timetable, so I would temper expectations for now...

SDfan Oct 20, 2014 8:36 PM

Wow! Love this!

Quote:

Marco Gonzalez Calls ‘Bullshit’ on Dense Development Objectors

Marco Gonzalez is calling out his friends again.

One of the most high-profile environmental attorneys and activists in town — whose name broke out of his field last year when he was one of three major figures to call for Mayor Bob Filner’s resignation — fired a salvo against community opposition to new development projects.

Neighborhoods that line up against dense development projects are motivated by selfishness and closet racism, he said, at a panel discussion I hosted last week on dense housing as part of the San Diego Housing Federation’s annual conference.

“It’s an interesting backdrop to practice law after 17 years being the community activist guy,” he said, “when I have to turn to my former clients and activists and call bullshit. And yeah, we use those terms because, frankly, when you get out of the public sphere, and you listen to what these people are saying, what they’re saying is, ‘I got mine, I have no responsibility to provide for them.’ And when the lights are really low, and the groups are really small, it’s, ‘Don’t bring the brown people here, don’t let the poor people in, let’s build a big gate around our little castle, because it’s really nice and pretty and we don’t want them to mess it up.’ And that’s what I’m fighting.”

http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/10/2...ent-objectors/

SDfan Oct 20, 2014 8:43 PM

Thanks for the find, nez.

Here is the rendering and article:

Quote:

Hilton Plans New Canopy Hotel in Downtown San Diego

Virginia-based Hilton Worldwide has a large new tower-style hotel planned for East Village, as part of a national rollout of a new upscale brand called Canopy by Hilton.

A Hilton Worldwide spokeswoman said the upscale hotel is planned for the northwest corner of 7th and Island avenues, adjacent to the Gaslamp Quarter. The company has not released details including development costs or the number of rooms, but a rendering provided by Hilton shows a multiple-story structure.

In a statement, Hilton Worldwide officials said the company has 11 signed letters of intent with various operators to open its new Canopy by Hilton format in the U.S. and London, with properties expected to begin opening in 2015 following new-construction and renovation projects.

The company described Canopy as an “accessible lifestyle” format geared to business and leisure travelers. The hotels will be designed to reflect the culture of their urban neighborhoods, with basic Wi-Fi and artisanal breakfasts included in the price of room stays, along with a local “welcome gift.” Some locations will have evening tastings of local beer, wine or spirits.

There are currently two other Hilton properties in the same downtown vicinity, under different ownership: the 1,190-room Hilton San Diego Bayfront off Harbor Drive, owned by Sunstone Hotel Investors and a unit of Hilton Worldwide; and the 283-room Hilton San Diego Gaslamp Quarter on K Street, owned by LaSalle Hotel Properties.

Also, operators of the Hilton Bayfront have previously announced plans for a 500-room expansion, but that is contingent on the stalled expansion of the next-door San Diego Convention Center moving forward.

The planned new Hilton project is not far from Pendry San Diego, a $100 million, 317-room luxury hotel now under construction by The Robert Green Co. and Montage Hotels & Resorts. That project recently broke ground on a Gaslamp Quarter site bounded by Fifth, Sixth and Island Avenues and J Street.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ltonCanopy.jpg

http://www.sdbj.com/news/2014/oct/16...own-san-diego/

bushman61988 Oct 20, 2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6775782)
Thanks for the find, nez.

Here is the rendering and article:

Wow, I really like this tower! It's also nice to see some architectural diversity in this area, which is kind of overwhelmed with balcony towers. Nice to see a glass facade.

bushman61988 Oct 21, 2014 7:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 6775770)
Wow! Love this!

I was there for that panel discussion at the 23rd Annual San Diego Housing Federation Affordable Housing/Community Development Conference. The title of the session was "Beyond Density Bonus - A Dialogue About Affordable Housing, Infill, & Community Character", and I was absolutely blown away by Marco Gonzalez's honesty, straight-forwardness, insight, passion, and love for our region and it's future.

Developers probably dismiss him for being a hippie, liberal, anti-growth activist attorney who wants to stifle all development and sue everybody but he's not. Progressives and environmentalists might call him a traitor that has sold out to developers and wants to crowd the coast with high rises, but again, he's not.

He said it himself, that after all these years of fighting to preserve the backcountry, fighting for environmental causes (he's helped my community National City to phase out industrial, polluting business in our Westside near the trolleys in favor of mixed use, denser development), he's realized that many of these progressives who claim to be forward-thinking and fighting to reduce greenhouse gases, preserving our natural resources, and addressing Climate Change in other communities turn into completely selfish and hypocritical NIMBYs when a project is proposed in their neighborhoods.

He cited the conversations at the Bay Park community hearings when SANDAG and the City of San Diego proposed increasing height limits to 60 feet.

We need more people like Marco Gonzalez and we should all go beyond the safety of this blog and reach out to our communities... join planning commissions, planning groups, attend meetings, reach out to family and friends and casually talk about local issues going on. And not just speak out against a project, but talk about what we're for.

Anyway, that was my rant, I'm done now.

aerogt3 Oct 21, 2014 7:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo the Dog (Post 6775188)
Well unless it disrupts a colony of fairy shrimp.

It's pretty ridiculous how long it takes to build anything. If we had all these regulations back in the day, there's no way the U.S. would've became a super power. Imagine if NY had a coastal commission in the 1800s that set a 30 ft height limit on Manhattan.

colony of fairy shrimp.... :haha:

Yes, environmental laws in the US (and CA) have gone beyond reason. $30 million to product 500 bird nests which are not even remotely threatened or endangered.... $30k per bird nest on an unendangered species, years of delays on transit project (meaning years of extra pollution from cars) - what exactly are all these environmental laws protecting?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ay-5786778.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushman61988 (Post 6776448)
Progressives and environmentalists might call him a traitor that has sold out to developers and wants to crowd the coast with high rises, but again, he's not.

High rises along 1 mile of coastline are a lot better for the environment than luxury homes, parking, and roads taking up 10 miles of coastline. Environmentalism is often just a cover for NIMBYism. It's amazing how the coastal commission's goal of "protecting the coastline" actually means "destroy more of it than necessary with sprawl."

tyleraf Oct 21, 2014 12:55 PM

I like the new Hilton project. It will look great when 7th and market finally goes up as well.

Leo the Dog Oct 21, 2014 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6776567)
I like the new Hilton project. It will look great when 7th and market finally goes up as well.

Yeah the Hilton looks good.

With the Pendry, I wonder if the DT hotels will be able to absorb all the extra hotel rooms in a healthy way. Seems like they're building now with the hope of the Convention Center expansion coming soon.

SDfan Oct 21, 2014 5:46 PM

Looks like Hillcrest will get some moderate vertical growth soon. Hillcrest Apartments got its construction loan approved, should be complete by 2016.

Quote:

Loan secured to build Hillcrest apartment
Monday, October 20, 2014

A loan for $7.46 million in construction-permanent financing to build Hillcrest Apartments, a 36-unit, five-story apartment in the Hillcrest neighborhood, has been secured.
The apartment will occupy a 15,200-square-foot lot at 4021 Eighth Ave. Due for completion in early 2016, the property will include one- and two-bedroom floor plans averaging 877 square feet above grade-level parking.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...-Hillcrest.jpg

SDCAL Oct 23, 2014 9:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerogt3 (Post 6776454)
colony of fairy shrimp.... :haha:

Yes, environmental laws in the US (and CA) have gone beyond reason. $30 million to product 500 bird nests which are not even remotely threatened or endangered.... $30k per bird nest on an unendangered species, years of delays on transit project (meaning years of extra pollution from cars) - what exactly are all these environmental laws protecting?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ay-5786778.php

High rises along 1 mile of coastline are a lot better for the environment than luxury homes, parking, and roads taking up 10 miles of coastline. Environmentalism is often just a cover for NIMBYism. It's amazing how the coastal commission's goal of "protecting the coastline" actually means "destroy more of it than necessary with sprawl."

I think there is a place for density and development as well as environmental concerns. Anyone who knows basic science knows that ecosystems are co-dependent and destruction of one seemingly irrelevant species can have impacts that can reverberate. You think development should just proceed without any environmental discussion at all?

spoonman Oct 23, 2014 5:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDCAL (Post 6779725)
I think there is a place for density and development as well as environmental concerns. Anyone who knows basic science knows that ecosystems are co-dependent and destruction of one seemingly irrelevant species can have impacts that can reverberate. You think development should just proceed without any environmental discussion at all?

Can't speak for him, but I'm pretty sure he just means that sometimes our environmental policies have unintended consequences and as such can be counterproductive.

It would make sense to me that certain areas (and projects) have more need for environmental review than others. For example, doing a biological study in DTSD or most of the urban neighborhoods is a waste of time. Other areas like near the lagoons of North County, they are more necessary. Also, what is the project? Is it track homes, or a train line that will take cars off the road?

Clearly there is a more sensible way to protect the environment than pushing every project through onerous review that stalls often needed progress. :tup:

mello Oct 24, 2014 3:44 AM

Going to be a nice cluster of towers with Sempra, new Hilton, and hopefully a 500 foot (or very close) building at 7th and Market. Walked by Ash street Corridor today and god is that area depressing... How many more floors does 15th and Island have to go?

Any news on Library Tower site or ground breaking at Ballpark Village?

Leo the Dog Oct 24, 2014 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6780947)
Going to be a nice cluster of towers with Sempra, new Hilton, and hopefully a 500 foot (or very close) building at 7th and Market. Walked by Ash street Corridor today and god is that area depressing... How many more floors does 15th and Island have to go?

Any news on Library Tower site or ground breaking at Ballpark Village?

It's amazing how fast Sempra has shot up!

15th and Island is so massive and alone (right now). its really transforming the EV before our eyes. :tup: