SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mountain West (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Salt Lake MSA Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150265)

delts145 Jan 9, 2014 3:47 PM

Fashion Place Mall Macy’s to close abruptly as part of restructuring

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...store.html.csp

I've always wondered about that Macy's and how small it is. I would venture to guess we'll be hearing about a full size Macy's development at Fashion Place in the near future. I can't imagine them not wanting a presence at one of the highest traffic most successful malls in the nation. Has there been an announcement for a replacement of Sears?

brankrom Jan 9, 2014 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 6399862)

I've always wondered about that Macy's and how small it is. I would venture to guess we'll be hearing about a full size Macy's development at Fashion Place in the near future. I can't imagine them not wanting a presence at one of the highest traffic most successful malls in the nation. Has there been an announcement for a replacement of Sears?

The old Sears space would be a nice place for Macy's to move into, but it seems to me with the space being vacant there would have been an announcement already.

What I can't figure out is why the former Cottonwood Macy's in Holladay is still open. I actually went there to do some Christmas shopping and tons of sales associates were just hanging out but I was about the only one in the whole store. After leaving the Holladay Macy's I went to Fashion Place and the place was full and teeming with activity. Closing the Fashion Place location seems odd. Strange to see such a successful mall contract from 4 anchors to just 2. Okay, from 5 to 3, I guess H&M can be considered an anchor.

Speaking of Cottonwood Mall isn't it about time to see something happening there? That property is it's owned by Howard Hughes Corporation.

http://www.howardhughes.com/properti...ottonwood.html

Future Mayor Jan 9, 2014 5:11 PM

There have been plans to build a Macy's at Fashion Place all the way back to the time before the acquisitions. ZCMI originally had plans to build a full size store west of Sears, taking a new hallway from the SW mall entrance, I have also heard for several years that Macy's had planned to build a full size store at Fashion Place. I don't ever recall an official announcement for a new Macy's store though.

I seem to recall that as part of the mall remodel and expansion that began in 2007, which included the new Nordstrom and H&M, a new Dillards was supposed to be built along with a parking structure, those were both slated to be built near the existing Dillards. I have heard that a new Dillards will be built on the Sears location, I anticipate that Macy's will then have a new location in place of the existing Dillards. I would also anticipate that the current Macy's location will either be converted to a couple of inline store fronts with a new mall entrance, or be leased to a store that requires a bit more square footage than a regular inline spot like a Forever 21.

I'm feeling old. I remember when Fashion Place had Auerbach's (old Nordstrom) Wienstocks (Dillards), Sears, and Castletons (Macy's).

delts145 Jan 9, 2014 6:15 PM

Oh, okay now I remember about Dillards moving to the Sears site. That's hilarious about the Macy's at Cottonwood being empty, yet it's still hanging around. I would have thought that we would have heard something substantial by now on the development of the Cottonwood Mall site, since Hugh's took over ownership. Also, someone give us a few update pics when the weather cooperates on the Holladay Village and the Fire Station. Last pics we had things looked like they were progressing nicely and in high quality fashion.

Canyon Crossing at Riverwalk

Coming to Midvale Fall 2014! Enjoy luxury living in an all new green, energy efficient apartment home. Canyon Crossing will feature 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartment homes with amenities to accommodate your lifestyle. Located near both I-15 and I-215 corridors as well as the TRAX Midvale Central Station and just 10 minutes to local ski resorts makes our central location ideal. Leasing will begin Spring 2014!

http://www.emg-apts.com/canyon_crossing.htm

http://www.emg-apts.com/images/prope...ssing_main.jpg
http://www.emg-apts.com

scottharding Jan 9, 2014 9:05 PM

Wow, four bedrooms? We don't see that too often around here for high density residential. Although I hope we see a bit more of the 3-4 bedrooms, particularly in the condo market.

jmonkey Jan 10, 2014 1:37 AM

The Macy's at Fashion Place was a ZCMI II location, a late-1980's expansion effort for ZCMI. These stores were smaller and focused on clothing and accessories. Most of those stores had already been closed when ZCMI was bought by the May Co. The only reason the Fashion Place location has survived for so long is the desire of of the corporate owners to open a full-size store there. I have heard that Dillard's has opposed this pretty adamantly. Maybe Macy's has given up. They only offer a small women's and cosmetic selection at Fashion Place, it is definitely not a draw now. The store at Cottonwood was still doing a respectable business the last I heard, even sans mall. Maybe you were just there at the wrong time, I always see other customers when I am there. If they were given the chance of a full-line store at Fashion Place though, I am sure they would close Cottonwood.

Future Mayor Jan 10, 2014 2:03 AM

I wouldn't necessarily expect them to close the Cottonwood location if they were to build a full line store at Fashion Place, if the new Cottonwood Mall development occurs that is. If it doesn't occur, I could see them closing it.

Cottonwood Mall was always the largest volume store in the ZCMI and Meyer and Frank (UT locations) stores, and at one point ZCMI was planning to build an additional full line store at Fashion Place, so there was at least at that time, enough demand for both locations. I can see the Cottonwood (with the new lifestyle center) and Fashion Place co-existing nicely.

arkhitektor Jan 10, 2014 3:58 PM

I'm sure somebody at Fashion Place has a plan for what they're doing, but the place strikes me as a highly successful mall on its west side with the new Nordstrom, Crate & Barrel, H&M, Apple Store, etc... tethered akwardly to a dying mall on the east side with the abandoned Sears, now Macy's closing, old Dillards store, etc. On their website directory, they only list a total of four store in the east side areas 'A' and 'E':

http://i41.tinypic.com/10qwjno.jpg

delts145 Jan 10, 2014 6:30 PM

Correct me If I'm wrong, but it isn't so much a matter of the east side dying as it is being methodically prepared for an aggressive renovation, much like was completed over on the west side. The word and reports were that the owners pushed Sears out in order to better capitalize on the mall's huge success. The owner felt that there were far better tenants to land for such a successful property. They have also not renewed leases on many shops and most likely encouraged the closure of the undersized Macy's. Just like Dillard's is building a sparkling new store, we'll probably see a renovated east side too. Perhaps, if as predicted in that great Trib. article the other day, we'll see a number of new to the area additions with a new west side. Maybe also, the success of CCC and Traverse Point has prompted many new retailers to plead with Fashion Place for a chance to a second location.

I noticed that another major interior design/furniture store is opening at Trolley Square also. Good to see at least some movement over at Trolley. Now, if they'll just urbanize that area more along the major corridors.

jedikermit Jan 11, 2014 4:04 AM

I know this has been a verboten topic for some forumers, but word of mouth about The LEGO Store is that the Fashion Place location is performing way above expectations. If sales continue through 2014 at current levels, they'll be opening a second Wasatch Front location potentially as soon as 2015. I could see them doing that in the revamped University Mall...a lot of their business seems to come up from Utah County. That part is anecdotal, but the sales figures aren't.

I feared they'd open it, and it would close within 90 days. Looks like they're thriving. Yay.

StevenF Jan 11, 2014 6:45 AM

Everytime I go into the LEGO store it is always busy and it isn't the browsing kind of busy. Seems most that are there end up buying and as I travel through the mall I am sure I seem more LEGO store bags in peoples hands than any other store.

Future Mayor Jan 11, 2014 8:00 AM

To me, it seems like Gateway would be an ideal spot for a large Lego store. I think it fits perfectly with the Children's Museum and the Planetarium.

delts145 Jan 11, 2014 11:43 AM

I think LEGO being a verboten topic is held by maybe one forumer Jedi. The rest of us love hearing great expansion news relating to LEGO and the Wasatch Front. Yet another new to the area business that had underestimated what's happening along the booming Wasatch. I'd like to see a new LEGO Store at both Gateway and the University Mall.

StevenF Jan 11, 2014 5:21 PM

The letter that I sent to LEGO 2 years ago had mentioned that many companies do not see the Utah market potential. Once they move here they tend to expand to another location within a year or two. So hearing that they could be putting in another location sometime in 2015 does not surprise me in anyway.

Another City I would like to see a second location go in is Portland. When I was there in September the location at the Washington Square mall was just as busy or a little more than the Fashion Place store. I don't know if people shop more on Sundays there or not or if the Labor Day holiday had anything to do with how busy it was. Reason for that is my wife and I are looking to move there this year with our family. My wife has applied to go to school at PSU for a BS in Biology and in time switch over to OHSU for her MD. Depending on finances and a way to fund it she might even switch to Lewis and Clark College for her BS in Biology, but we will see how that works out.

jtrent77 Jan 14, 2014 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delts145 (Post 6399862)

In related news....

Utah’s first Container Store is coming to Fashion Place Mall
The Container Store will open its first Utah location this fall in the space formerly occupied by Macy’s at Fashion Place Mall in Murray.

The 26,000-square-foot space will have containers for 16 different lifestyle section ranging from food storage to closet organization to laundry.

StevenF Jan 14, 2014 12:21 AM

hmmm, wife will like it even more as I go to Fashion Place. Now there is an Apple Store, LEGO store and a container store so I can get containers to put my LEGO's. :D

Lilljemalm Jan 15, 2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedikermit (Post 6402561)
I know this has been a verboten topic for some forumers, but word of mouth about The LEGO Store is that the Fashion Place location is performing way above expectations. If sales continue through 2014 at current levels, they'll be opening a second Wasatch Front location potentially as soon as 2015. I could see them doing that in the revamped University Mall...a lot of their business seems to come up from Utah County. That part is anecdotal, but the sales figures aren't.

I feared they'd open it, and it would close within 90 days. Looks like they're thriving. Yay.

Now you need to push American Girl for a store in SLC.

SLC Projects Jan 15, 2014 12:54 AM

Two 5-story "towers" :haha: coming to the Vista Station.
http://www.coldwellutah.com/pmail/fugal/vista_station/

scottharding Jan 15, 2014 2:33 AM

UGH! Look at how much land they're taking up right there in front of a Front Runner station! That's just horrible. Vista Station sucks.

Stenar Jan 15, 2014 5:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottharding (Post 6406819)
UGH! Look at how much land they're taking up right there in front of a Front Runner station! That's just horrible. Vista Station sucks.

I dislike the development at the Vista Station because it's right in the Jordan River ecosystem. Draper ought to be protecting it instead of pillaging it.