SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

Doug Nov 2, 2013 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmt18325 (Post 6324506)
Air Canada is the best airline I've flown on in NA, for sure...

You must like bitchy employees, dirty aircraft and unnecessary delays caused by employees don't showing up for work. AC hasn't been owned by the government for a long time, but the Mapleflot culture still rules.

jmt18325 Nov 2, 2013 2:48 PM

I've never had any of those problems. The biggest problem I've had was a two hour delay. It was caused because there was a problem with the aircraft that was repaired, but needed to be inspected by the head mechanic. He was off sick that day (It was a Sunday) and it took time to find someone else with the authority to do it. Air Canada was far friendlier than Delta, as clean as Westjet, and far less annoying.

esquire Nov 2, 2013 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 6324433)
I love the wood in that Ft. Mac airport expansion. It's a welcome change from the generic sterility of most Canadian airports.

Agreed. It's a bit ironic that one of Canada's sleekest, most urbane looking air terminals will be in a small city that most people consider to be on the edge of the wild frontier. It's appointed like the lobby of a huge office building... it's a great look and very distinctive.

At first I thought it looked rather small given Fort Mac's explosive growth, but the interior spaces are deceptively cavernous. Very impressive.

SignalHillHiker Nov 2, 2013 3:17 PM

I've yet to have a truly positive experience with Air Canada. I've been bumped from flights, delayed, without my check-on bag for several days, etc.

Once, when they had to change my flight because they were delayed leaving Winnipeg and I missed my connection in Toronto, the ticket agent asked me if Halifax was close enough and someone could pick me up there. Umm... it's a 1,500 kilometre drive and a 6-hour ferry ride, honey.

Westjet, on the other hand, has been fantastic. I've still encountered some of the same problems - delays, whatever else - but they're helpful and kind instead of entitled and condescending. And they actually let you know what's going on. Once, I was delayed in Winnipeg - we were just sitting on the plane not going anywhere - and the flight attendant announced that the flight was waiting for passengers connecting from B.C. "There's a whole bunch of people on that flight going on to St. John's and if we don't wait, they won't make it home for Christmas Day."

So, instead of being treated like cattle and getting annoyed as has always been the case with Air Canada delays, people were in good spirits, clapped when the connecting passengers got on, etc.

I'd never fly Air Canada again if I can avoid doing so. It's like a caricature of the most negative stereotypes people have about central Canada. I've never seen such a large organization when everyone, consistently, seems to be absolutely miserable, unhappy with their jobs, and annoyed by having to interact with the public.

esquire Nov 2, 2013 4:03 PM

I'm surprised by the negative experiences people have had with Air Canada. Mine have generally been very positive, with various instances where staff have gone above and beyond for me. And I'm a regular joe blow flyer too, not super-elite or anything like that.

Sure there have been occasional bumps, but those were generally beyond AC's control, like weather delays resulting in tight connections, which then mean the checked bags didn't make the connection. I don't get the anti-AC mindset that people have... is it just because they're the biggest airline in the country, and therefore attract that kind of reaction?

kwoldtimer Nov 2, 2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 6324599)
I'm surprised by the negative experiences people have had with Air Canada. Mine have generally been very positive, with various instances where staff have gone above and beyond for me. And I'm a regular joe blow flyer too, not super-elite or anything like that.

Sure there have been occasional bumps, but those were generally beyond AC's control, like weather delays resulting in tight connections, which then mean the checked bags didn't make the connection. I don't get the anti-AC mindset that people have... is it just because they're the biggest airline in the country, and therefore attract that kind of reaction?

I've never had a bad experience with either Air Canada or WestJet. In Air Canada's case, I've lost track of the number of times they've upgraded me on international flights, bless their hearts. I see the complaints about Air Canada and always wonder is it me doing something right or others doing something wrong? :shrug:

jmt18325 Nov 2, 2013 10:48 PM

I don't really have any complaints about Westjet either, I just don't like how they try to be funny all of the time.

Airboy Nov 2, 2013 10:49 PM

The new YMM terminal will be a welcome change from the terminal that we fly through now. The old terminal will still be used for all of the camp flights. The only problem I see will be all the assholes that need to get drunk after coming out of the dry camps, and will be on the airside now.

As to the question about GP airport. The terminal was upgraded a couple of years ago. They added maybe 10-20% more space, and upgraded the hvac systems. But overall its pretty much the same size as the Current YMM terminal.

chris Nov 3, 2013 4:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 6324919)
As to the question about GP airport. The terminal was upgraded a couple of years ago. They added maybe 10-20% more space, and upgraded the hvac systems. But overall its pretty much the same size as the Current YMM terminal.

Given the strong growth were seeing out of YMM, are we seeing similar growth at Grande Prairie's Airport?? How fast has their airport been growing?

CanadianCentaur Nov 3, 2013 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris (Post 6325123)
Given the strong growth were seeing out of YMM, are we seeing similar growth at Grande Prairie's Airport?? How fast has their airport been growing?

Frankly, I don't think YQU's growing anywhere near as fast as YMM, simply because Fort Mac's population growth rate is a great deal higher. And of course, the oilsands industry, which is much more developed than in the Peace River area. I don't have any stats available at the moment, but I think YQU is probably serving about half the number of passengers as YMM, or more likely, less than that.

YQU, however, has been extensively renovated back in the late 2000s before the last boom slowed down in 2008. They've installed a new baggage carousel and increased the departure lounge area, but really not a whole lot in terms of actual terminal expansion. Unlike YMM, YQU does not have any jetways. There has been massive growth in the industrial lands just to the east of the airport. One of YQU's runways was planned to be extended to 8500 feet from 6500 feet, but I don't know if that's still in the plans or not.

chris Nov 3, 2013 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur (Post 6325531)
Frankly, I don't think YQU's growing anywhere near as fast as YMM, simply because Fort Mac's population growth rate is a great deal higher. And of course, the oilsands industry, which is much more developed than in the Peace River area. I don't have any stats available at the moment, but I think YQU is probably serving about half the number of passengers as YMM, or more likely, less than that.

YQU, however, has been extensively renovated back in the late 2000s before the last boom slowed down in 2008. They've installed a new baggage carousel and increased the departure lounge area, but really not a whole lot in terms of actual terminal expansion. Unlike YMM, YQU does not have any jetways. There has been massive growth in the industrial lands just to the east of the airport. One of YQU's runways was planned to be extended to 8500 feet from 6500 feet, but I don't know if that's still in the plans or not.

Thanks for the insight...I knew little of what was going on at YQU. I suppose growth can continue at a higher pace if the region were to land non-stop flights to YVR but until them I guess they'll have to be content with a slower growth rate. What is their rate of growth anyway? 10% per year? 15% per year?

chris Nov 3, 2013 8:56 PM

Found this to be pretty interesting:

http://hqgrandeprairie.com/news/news...nt/fresh_feed/

2012 was another record-breaking year at the Grande Prairie Airport.

Last year 415,634 passengers moved through the facility, representing an 8.3-percent increase in traffic over 2011.

ScreamingViking Nov 3, 2013 8:58 PM

Those terminal pictures of Saskatoon and Fort McMurray really do look great. All the wood in the latter makes for a beautiful and inviting interior. And the higher centre ceiling in Saskatoon's adds a spacious feeling (along with all that daylight)

GlassCity Nov 4, 2013 7:29 AM

Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

For people living in Toronto, it is as popular to fly out of Buffalo as it is here to fly out of Seattle? I assume Buffalo doesn't have as many destinations, but I also assume it's a lot cheaper.

Chadillaccc Nov 4, 2013 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6324562)
I've yet to have a truly positive experience with Air Canada. I've been bumped from flights, delayed, without my check-on bag for several days, etc.

Once, when they had to change my flight because they were delayed leaving Winnipeg and I missed my connection in Toronto, the ticket agent asked me if Halifax was close enough and someone could pick me up there. Umm... it's a 1,500 kilometre drive and a 6-hour ferry ride, honey.

Westjet, on the other hand, has been fantastic. I've still encountered some of the same problems - delays, whatever else - but they're helpful and kind instead of entitled and condescending. And they actually let you know what's going on. Once, I was delayed in Winnipeg - we were just sitting on the plane not going anywhere - and the flight attendant announced that the flight was waiting for passengers connecting from B.C. "There's a whole bunch of people on that flight going on to St. John's and if we don't wait, they won't make it home for Christmas Day."

So, instead of being treated like cattle and getting annoyed as has always been the case with Air Canada delays, people were in good spirits, clapped when the connecting passengers got on, etc.

I'd never fly Air Canada again if I can avoid doing so. It's like a caricature of the most negative stereotypes people have about central Canada. I've never seen such a large organization when everyone, consistently, seems to be absolutely miserable, unhappy with their jobs, and annoyed by having to interact with the public.

Jesus! Good thing I have never flown AC just by coincidence.

ericlewis91 Nov 4, 2013 1:38 PM

I just don't get why flying TO to VAN is at least $600??? I would love to travel more in Canada but its so pricy.

The_Architect Nov 4, 2013 3:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlassCity (Post 6325977)
Not sure where to post this, so I'll post it here.

For people living in Toronto, it is as popular to fly out of Buffalo as it is here to fly out of Seattle? I assume Buffalo doesn't have as many destinations, but I also assume it's a lot cheaper.

A LOT cheaper. Hell, if I can find a flight out of Hamilton or Buffalo I take it over Pearson. Whenever I can get Porter I take that too out of Billy Bishop. I know people who have driven to Detroit to fly out of there.

Also late to the party but I've only ever flown Air Canada twice in my life. Once when I was very young (5 ish) and once a couple years ago to go up to Timmins. The biggest reason: they ALWAYS flag me for no reason at all. Then again, it's very hit and miss with me, a big part of why I hate flying.

eemy Nov 5, 2013 2:47 AM

Count me as another person who has had no problem flying with AC. I've had no problem flying with WS either, but I like AC's seats and IFE better. Best airline I've flown with by far is Canadian North - complimentary booze and hot meals ftw.

Airboy Nov 5, 2013 5:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy_haak (Post 6327156)
Count me as another person who has had no problem flying with AC. I've had no problem flying with WS either, but I like AC's seats and IFE better. Best airline I've flown with by far is Canadian North - complimentary booze and hot meals ftw.

I agree about Canadian north, + First Air.

Policy Wonk Nov 5, 2013 9:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 6324562)
Once, when they had to change my flight because they were delayed leaving Winnipeg and I missed my connection in Toronto, the ticket agent asked me if Halifax was close enough and someone could pick me up there. Umm... it's a 1,500 kilometre drive and a 6-hour ferry ride, honey.

Wow, and I was pissed when they insisted I eat a $200 taxi fare to get to another airport so they could switch me from a canceled non-stop flight to a 9.5 hour itinerary connecting in Denver when off the top of my head I could think of about half a dozen better alternatives departing from that airport.

My experiences with Air Canada are generally positive, but when they want to screw me over they pull out all the stops.

WestJet on the other hand has destroyed more luggage than any airline I have ever seen, absolutely astonishing. Apparently their bag smashers aren't "owners".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C-e96m4730


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.