SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Visiting Paris 7/19-25... (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192218)

urbanactivist Jun 29, 2011 9:33 PM

Visiting Paris 7/19-25...

Hello everyone,

I will be taking my first ever trip to Paris in a few short weeks, and I'd love to get some recommendations of where to visit.

I'm on a very tight budget for this trip, so also any suggestions of cheap eats, or inexpensive activities would also be most appreciated. Thanks!!

Minato Ku Jun 29, 2011 10:02 PM

Paris in July and August is less busy than usual as many of the resident go in vacation. So if you hear that Paris is busier in summer it is wrong, only the tourist attraction are but the tourist attraction are not the city of Paris.

About the hotel fares, July and August are off season as the number of business travelers drops in summer.
As a resident of Paris, I cannot help you about the hotel.

The cheap eat, it depend where you want to eat because Central Paris is quite big and full of restaurant an other thing.

Look at the price (there are always indicated in the front of the restaurant) and avoid the touristy districts unless you want to eat in a fast food.
I cannot advise you about any restaurant unless you want to eat japanese food (good ramen restaurants Rue Saint Anne in the 1st/2nd arrondissements, metro station Pyramides, it is pretty much the only place where I eat outside my house or a sandwich)

Don't believe what guide siad the 7th arrondissement or Montmartre are not all representative of the real parisian life.
Avoid la Defense on sunday while it is more busier than before with the opening of the mall, it is still better to go here on weekday on the luch time.

The most inexpensive activity in Paris is walking, any place in the inner city is walkable with many shops and etc..
So the best way to visit Paris is to put your fingers randomly on the map and going to this place. ;)

big T Jun 30, 2011 4:04 AM

Minato gives good advice. I'll add a few random points:

- go to the top floor outside patio in Le Printemps (one of the "grands magasins" i.e. department stores on boulevard Haussman). It's free and the view is pretty nice, interesting to contrast it with the view from Montmartre or the Eiffel tower (if you do go up).
- cheap eats are not that hard to find overall even in the central districts, if you're willing to settle for kebab or fast food now and then. You could make it a bit more interesting by trying french fast food chains like La Brioche Dorée, not exactly haute cuisine but at least it's something you don't get at home. Most boulangeries have sandwiches and stuff, but quality varies widely. Your best bet may be to track down street markets and buy fresh bread, ham, cheese and fruit and fix your own meal in a park or near the Seine. There are street markets pretty much every day of the week in different areas I think, I'm sure you can find more info online (when I was there in 2009 there was a street market every Tuesday I think, on a section of rue Saint Charles in the 15th arrondissement, right next to where I was staying. Great stuff).
- I think some museums and other attractions may have reduced hours or closures in the summer, like Minato said it's the off season -- make sure to plan ahead

Can't really think of anything else right now, hope this helps. I wish I was going too! Paris is an awesome place to visit, you're going to love every minute of it!

urbanactivist Jul 5, 2011 1:58 PM

Wow thank you both so much!!! I really appreciate it, and can't wait to visit this amazing city. I leave for England on Friday (the 8th), and arrive in Paris on the 19th.

ocman Jul 5, 2011 6:13 PM

The cemetery Pere Lechaise is free with few tourists. You can see where famous people like Oscar Wilde, Chopin, and Jim Morrison are buried.

The catacombs of Paris is another interesting attraction.

I recommend Pierre Herme, Laduree, Pain de Sucre for dessert.

Minato Ku Jul 5, 2011 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocman (Post 5338035)
I recommend Pierre Herme, Laduree, Pain de Sucre for dessert.

:previous: None of these shops are cheap, it is not what I would recommend for somebody who have a very tight budget.

Tony Jul 7, 2011 1:53 AM

Wine is cheap, so drink it instead of pop / soda. ;)

Seriously, check out the catacombs - it's cool - make sure you check what time they're open so you don't arrive disappointed.

Minato Ku Jul 7, 2011 7:02 AM

Wine is maybe less expensive than in USA but it is still more expensive than soda.

mousquet Jul 7, 2011 5:29 PM

To urbanactivist, do yourself a favor and try one of those boats along the Seine river, it's relaxing :

Video Link

As far as I know, you've got 2 options :

First, Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches

Address : Pont de l'Alma Rive droite, 75008 Paris.
Pont de l'Alma is a bridge across the Seine river. It's in the Invalides' neighborhood in the 7th arrondissement on the left bank, and in the 8th arrondissement on the other bank that is the side you'd need to go to ("rive droite" means right bank). Not far from the Champs-Élysées which you'll certainly visit.

Nearest station : Alma-Marceau (subway line #9).

See the "Cruise trips/Hours" section of their site to get there right in time, and the section "Cruise trips/Tarifs" to see how much it would cost. They say € 11 (around US$ 15) for a basic adult ticket but you can also have lunch or dinner aboard those boats, which of course is far more expensive.

Second, Vedettes du Pont-Neuf

Address : Square du Vert Galant, 75001 Paris.
That's on the Ile de la Cité in the 1st arrondissement, nearby Châtelet that's a huge node in the subway system, you should find easily. Of course you won't forget to ask for a map of the public transportation system. Just ask a ticket office of any station.

Nearest station : Pont Neuf (subway line #7).

Hours in their "Departures" section.
€ 13 for an adult ticket according to their Price section.

Finally, you could see the Youtube channel of this guy who's an american professional of tourism, I guess he knows the city pretty well. Type Paris in the search field above his uploaded videos, some might light your way. Enjoy your trip.

urbanactivist Jul 23, 2011 7:19 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone!! I am here and loving it! I purchased the Paris Museum Pass which is a great value. It gives access to so many attractions... Le Louvre, Versailles, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Pantheon... All with one pass. Amazing value and it has saved me much money.

Thanks for the tip on food. I have stuck mostly to the Creperies or making my own food. It is best.

mousquet Jul 23, 2011 11:51 AM

^ Well you actually brought the nice trick yourself lol, the pass seems a good thing indeed. Hope the sun's back when you go to Versailles; we've lost it for now. :hell: