SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   CHICAGO | General Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum//showthread.php?t=105764)

KWillChicago Jan 17, 2020 10:26 AM

Can we get abWalgreens tower plesse?

west-town-brad Jan 17, 2020 3:10 PM

Looks like the 6-month residential demolition ban has passed for an area around the western-end of the 606 trail as a way to slow "gentrification".

Hard to prevent residential demolition in this area otherwise when properties are being marketed and sold by their owners for land value only, given decades of poor/no maintenance to the existing homes.

Regardless this will push up residential values further and cause more of the "gentrification" the alderman is saying he is against.

Handro Jan 17, 2020 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by west-town-brad (Post 8802750)
Looks like the 6-month residential demolition ban has passed for an area around the western-end of the 606 trail as a way to slow "gentrification".

Hard to prevent residential demolition in this area otherwise when properties are being marketed and sold by their owners for land value only, given decades of poor/no maintenance to the existing homes.

Regardless this will push up residential values further and cause more of the "gentrification" the alderman is saying he is against.

Short sighted and counter-productive, but only 6-months. My guess is Lightfoot backed this dumb plan to appease the more vocal progressives with no plans to back anything beyond this 6-month hiatus.

On another small but interesting note, a permit was issued to re-open an abandoned entrance to the Grand blue line station on the south side of hte intersection.

PKDickman Jan 17, 2020 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolarWind (Post 8802405)
January 16, 2020

Jeez, haven't they built that yet.
That was supposed to be that sexy looking 10 story condo building, then LG swooped in and it was gonna be a rather generic looking 12 story condo building.
Now a 5 story hotel?
The agreement for the development rights of the three flat next door must've expired.

Skyguy_7 Jan 17, 2020 6:47 PM

Would anyone happen to know what is being built due north of the Best Buy on Elston, just south of Webster? Case rigs can be seen from the outbound Kennedy. I am intrigued.

k1052 Jan 17, 2020 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8802829)

On another small but interesting note, a permit was issued to re-open an abandoned entrance to the Grand blue line station on the south side of hte intersection.

Finally. This is a major benefit for the many people trying to transfer to/from the EB Grand bus.

PKDickman Jan 17, 2020 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8803109)
Would anyone happen to know what is being built due north of the Best Buy on Elston, just south of Webster? Case rigs can be seen from the outbound Kennedy. I am intrigued.

Triangle Square

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/11/8...ch-development

r18tdi Jan 17, 2020 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKDickman (Post 8803052)
That was supposed to be that sexy looking 10 story condo building, then LG swooped in and it was gonna be a rather generic looking 12 story condo building.

I seem to remember an email from the alderman saying that the 5-story hotel didn't need a zoning change. I guess that's not the case now.

marothisu Jan 17, 2020 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8803245)
I seem to remember an email from the alderman saying that the 5-story hotel didn't need a zoning change. I guess that's not the case now.

There's a zoning app from Wednesday for it. Thought I posted about it but guess not.

harryc Jan 18, 2020 10:06 PM

Tribune Tower Rehab

Jan 9

Chicago | Tribune Tower Rehab by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Jan 15

Jan 16

SamInTheLoop Jan 18, 2020 10:55 PM

Triangle Square - Loan Closed

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKDickman (Post 8803162)

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2020...quare-project/

My guess is there is either substantial additional debt as part of this project, or this loan ($69 mil) is only covering a first phase, as I highly doubt the overall project has a loan-to-value ratio of ~35% (project cost in article cited as $200 mil).....I'd expect at least double that percentage.

harryc Jan 19, 2020 7:56 PM

DuSable park

Jan 15

Putting in new sheet piles
Chicago | DuSable Park by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

The much older wall.

harryc Jan 19, 2020 8:10 PM

Bike Flyover on LSD

Jan 15

Chicago | Bikeway by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

harryc Jan 19, 2020 10:50 PM

1001 W Fulton

Jan 16

Chicago | 1001 W Fulton by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

harryc Jan 19, 2020 11:54 PM

LSD Bridge maintenance

Jan 15

New FireProof Bollards

jc5680 Jan 20, 2020 12:17 AM

Will they pull the old sheets piles? Or do they just backfill the gap with something?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8804858)
Jan 15

Putting in new sheet piles

harryc Jan 20, 2020 1:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8805029)
Will they pull the old sheets piles? Or do they just backfill the gap with something?

I will check next time - my guess is that they leave them in. although they do seem to have severed the tie-backs in this shot.

This guy seems to be marking a spot to make a hole (new tie-backs ?) in this shot, which I don't think they'd do if the old sheet was to be removed.

Rizzo Jan 20, 2020 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8805006)
Jan 15

New FireProof Bollards

I’ve been understanding of the delays because this all looks really complicated

harryc Jan 20, 2020 3:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rizzo (Post 8805157)
I’ve been understanding of the delays because this all looks really complicated

This is the easy part - they are also redoing the decking of LSD itself

Chi-Sky21 Jan 20, 2020 2:46 PM

Is all this included in the flyover project or is this a separate project ? Just curious about the full scope of this then.