SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

Derek Jan 31, 2013 5:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 5994583)
Click here to see the video about the delay of the Manchester/Navy/Broadway development.

http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=8275542&autostart=true

Wow...big surprise.

spoonman Jan 31, 2013 5:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staplesla (Post 5994583)
Click here to see the video about the delay of the Manchester/Navy/Broadway development.

http://www.kusi.com/video?clipId=8275542&autostart=true

Ahhh the Coastal Commission...it never ends. I get them sticking their head into developments outside of densely populated areas, but the fact that they have the authority (guess we'll see) to try to halt development downtown is absurd.

spoonman Jan 31, 2013 5:12 AM

At least Lane Field is still moving along, right?

mello Jan 31, 2013 6:27 AM

Gotta love the Coastal Commission. Good Ole Can'tifornia trying to stop a project here in "Ban Diego" --- Unreal how it has taken soooo long to get things going on the waterfront. So pathetic. Somewhere Vancouver and Sydney are laughing....

Derek Jan 31, 2013 8:27 AM

Vancouver and Sydney are laughing AND approving waterfront projects.

aerogt3 Jan 31, 2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5993830)
How is Miramar on "the fringe of the metro area"?

It's 20 minutes from downtown, 30 minutes from Chula Vista, 35 minutes from Oceanside, 30 minutes from Escondido. It's literally in the middle of the San Diego metro area.

It's the geographic center of the county. Lindberg is the population centroid.center of the population. 45% of pax are business travelers, and 55% are visitors. For both these groups lindberg is an overwhelmingly better location. The last remaining group is resident non-business travel. For that group, everyone south of the midpoint between miramar is better off with lindberg. I would bet that's over half the san diego air travel population.

All this, along with the billions required to build a new airport, is probably why the airport hasn't been moved. The airport is fine as-is, and there are definitely other things in SD that need funding more than a rebuild of a perfectly good airport.

aerogt3 Jan 31, 2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoonman (Post 5994622)
Ahhh the Coastal Commission...it never ends. I get them sticking their head into developments outside of densely populated areas, but the fact that they have the authority (guess we'll see) to try to halt development downtown is absurd.

+1 I am sure they are really upholding their core mission with this kind of crap....

"The California Coastal Commission's mission is 'To protect, conserve, restore, and enhance the environment of the California coastline' "

:koko:

mello Jan 31, 2013 8:23 PM

aerogt3: I think you are being a bit short sighted when thinking that San Diego is using its land (with regards to the airport) in the best way possible.

First of all if the airport were moved think about all that could be done with not only the existing land and huge parking lots and supply depots that make up Lindbergh but all of Bankers Hill south of say Juniper Street and down to the freeway. I count at least 30 square blocks that are obviously extremely affected by the incoming flight path and are not built up to their potential.

As San Diego moves in to the future and needs to densify its core the airport land and Bankers Hill South would be able to accommodate at least 20,000 housing units with a high percentage having stunning views.

Also consider the Sports Arena property and the entire Midway Rosecrans area that is a complete joke and very underutilized for it being so close to the coast. Moving Lindbergh could help in getting this area on the right track as well.

Then we have the potential of Miramar. Very close to three large job centers: UTC, Sorrento Valley/Miramar Road, and Kearny Mesa. This is the perfect place to add dense housing, the south end of the property would be perfect place to add at least 5000 housing units and those people will have a very short commute to work. Possibly add some affordable housing for airport workers.... I think all of this is a clear win win for the San Diego Metro as a whole.

TGBinSD Feb 1, 2013 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5989362)
Seriously.

Who cares if the downtown location is convenient?

I rather deal with an extra 30 minute commute to Miramar/the Desert than to deal with a 5 hour layover at SFO because we can't get a damn direct flight to Paris.

Amazes me that so many people care about the "convenient" location instead of the vast positive economic impact a new airport can do to the region.

couldn't have said it any better!

TeaPartyClive Feb 2, 2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGBinSD (Post 5997130)
couldn't have said it any better!

Ill take the convenience thank you very much. Are airport is small and easy to get around and thats the way it should stay! We dont need no big airport like LA or Chicago because people here dont go that far, the readership isnt there in San Diego for these huge things. besides Miramar is there to stay permanent forever per the city agreement so back off this whole new airport idea its fine the way it is!

Northparkwizard Feb 2, 2013 1:48 AM

That made no sense. People here don't go that far? Every time I travel internationally and often nationally I have to connect through LAX or SFO. I'd much rather have a choice rather than no choice at all. Also, the demand for more capacity/runways is driven by economic factors not a group of outliers who want merely want something new for the sake of having something new.

Derek Feb 2, 2013 2:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaPartyClive (Post 5997501)
Ill take the convenience thank you very much. Are airport is small and easy to get around and thats the way it should stay! We dont need no big airport like LA or Chicago because people here dont go that far, the readership isnt there in San Diego for these huge things. besides Miramar is there to stay permanent forever per the city agreement so back off this whole new airport idea its fine the way it is!

I'm assuming you're a teabagger?

"People here don't go that far."

:haha:

Ridership? Yeah, it's not an astronomical number, but it's not low either. It's ranked 28th in the nation. San Diego has about the same amount of passengers as the following airports:

DCA in Washington D.C. with 3 runways.
HNL in Honolulu, HI with 4 runways.
MDW in Chicago, IL with 5 runways.
TPA in Tampa, FL with 3 runways.

There are also numerous airports with less ridership than SAN that have multiple runways, including, but not limited to, the following:
PDX in Portland, OR with 3 runways.
STL in St. Louis, MO with 4 runways.
MCI in Kansas City, MO with 3 runways.
HOU in Houston, TX with 4 runways AND they move around 10 million people per year. San Diego moves almost 18 million.

Please, do some research before making outrageous claims. Oh wait, I guess teabaggers are good at that. If Rush Limbaugh or Sarah Palin didn't say it, it's not true.

SDfan Feb 2, 2013 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaPartyClive (Post 5997501)

This is a joke right?

Derek, kpexpress, hugo? Which one of you jerks made a fake second account to make the opposition look worse? That's so not fair to them...

:derpina:

spoonman Feb 2, 2013 5:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5997767)
This is a joke right?

Derek, kpexpress, hugo? Which one of you jerks made a fake second account to make the opposition look worse? That's so not fair to them...

:derpina:

:haha: I wish I could take credit for that..

S.DviaPhilly Feb 2, 2013 4:49 PM

Office Tower

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5988512)
you're correct on the site. The project details technically are still confidential. I can be vague and tell you that it's a very nice high rise office building, huge observation deck cutout of the top, very nice curtain wall, touches the ground elegantly, public plazas and nice adaptive reuse of the context buildings.

With the exposure Sempra will get from having their logo in the outfield of every Padres game they'd be dumb not to move.

Was walking down Island last night and saw this notice. When would they start?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps231ec3bf.jpg

S.DviaPhilly Feb 2, 2013 4:53 PM

13th and Market/G St.

They have been leveling buildings (like where the Food Service and Equipment Store was) on 13th between Market and G st. I am assuming to start building that 5 story rental Park and G. Does anyone know if they revamped that building? Last rendering I saw of it, the building looked real plain and boring.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...psa3338569.jpg

Leo the Dog Feb 2, 2013 5:54 PM

Airport

Regarding the idea of a brand new airport outside of the population core:

1) Where would the funding come from? I think any additional transportation $ should go towards expanding the Trolley.
2) I imagine losing Miramar to commercial uses would be an economic net loss to SD.
3) North County NIMBYs would never allow flight paths for huge commercial airliners near their neighborhoods.
4) Infrastructure is already in place at SAN. Freeways, bus routes, trolley, coaster are all a stones throw away.
5) Why stay in a DT hotel if the airport is 30-45 minutes away? Business will just move north. You don't think that a competitor city (Cbad perhaps) wouldn't build a convention center?
6) Due to our geographic location, San Diego isn't a hub city and never will be. We won't be a DFW or a DIA nor should we. We are a destination city. A convention city. Why should we move one moneymaker (SAN) as far away as possible from our other huge moneymaker (convention center)?

Like I said before, I don't see Boston neighborhoods suffering at all due to the inner location of Logan. Logan is much larger, but it serves basically all of new england. We don't need this here because we have LA to provide that for us. SD County is pretty small (3 million) and Tijuana has their airport too.

Moving SAN just isn't a realistic dream and with today's economic/political/social situation.

SDfan Feb 2, 2013 6:36 PM

^^Can we end the airport debate already? It's really inconsequential at this point.

Anyways, looks like that office tower in EV is moving forward with design permits. At 252ft in height its not too bad (I was hoping for 300ft). kpexpress care to share a few more tid-bits of information? Also, is anyone else sick of these 5-6 story projects on market? I feel like this is a serious under utilization of land-use on that street. Where are the towers? WHERE ARE THE TOWERS?

spoonman Feb 2, 2013 7:33 PM

Is the Cisterra Office tower going to be at 842 8th street or on Island? It would be great on 8th to revitalize that area, and add some height between the rest of DT and Smart Corner. Island would be cool to add more office to EV.

Also, is this Cisterra tower the same tower that Sempra MIGHT move into? I thought that one was where Cosmo was going?

Based on height and floor count, the Cisterra Office tower should be about the height of these buildings downtown...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3257/3...9ce1cb98_m.jpg
http://www.apfc.org/_amiRealEstate/5...rp%20small.JPG

spoonman Feb 2, 2013 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5998160)
^^Can we end the airport debate already? It's really inconsequential at this point.

Anyways, looks like that office tower in EV is moving forward with design permits. At 252ft in height its not too bad (I was hoping for 300ft). kpexpress care to share a few more tid-bits of information? Also, is anyone else sick of these 5-6 story projects on market? I feel like this is a serious under utilization of land-use on that street. Where are the towers? WHERE ARE THE TOWERS?

Exactly, the south side of Market is mostly towers, and the north side is low rise crap.