SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

HurricaneHugo Jun 17, 2008 8:39 AM

What argument, it looked grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.

HurricaneHugo Jun 20, 2008 8:02 AM

two things:

1. is there already a non-stop flight to england? i saw an advertisement from one company on the chargers forum...

2. you have to buy a &($%(*$#&*( day tripper to get on MTS??!! Even if it's just a one-way trip down to the next station?

wtf

bmfarley Jun 20, 2008 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3625137)
2. you have to buy a &($%(*$#&*( day tripper to get on MTS??!! Even if it's just a one-way trip down to the next station?

wtf

Yep. Transfers are no longer part of the system. A one ride trip is a single fare... $2.00 to $2.50; I believe. If you're using more than one bus/train to complete the trip... it's twice that. So, if you plan on a round trip, it pays just to get a day tripper... for $5. Or if a semi-frequent user.. a monthly pass for $64.

Derek Jun 20, 2008 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3625137)

1. is there already a non-stop flight to england? i saw an advertisement from one company on the chargers forum...

It started today.

bushman61988 Jun 21, 2008 6:50 PM

One America Plaza

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3590296)
I think they are just doing minor repairs and cleaning it up a bit. It does seem like it's been going on for a while though.

Some of us earlier were wondering what was going on w/ One America Plaza, and whether there was some renovation or something going on.

I found this on the CCDC Webcam:

"DestinationWebCam

We are waiting for the paint to dry on One America Plaza!

Yes, we removed these two webcams on the apex of the building a week ago so that the remainder of the building could be re-painted.

We have been advised that we can re-install the two webcams on Tuesday, June 24th.

While this DestinationWebCam is unavailable at the moment, try again later or visit our other San Diego WebCams."

So it appears that they were repainting, so hopefully our city's skyline icon will look even more brighter and better at night

HurricaneHugo Jun 22, 2008 1:49 AM

You can barely see it at night...

kpexpress Jun 22, 2008 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 3628361)
You can barely see it at night...

Last week me and a friend went down to Petco Park to watch the Pads spank the Mets and during the game we were talking about this building. It is pretty pathetic that our city's icon skyscraper is lit up so horribly. I would expect more from America's Finest.

CoastersBolts Jun 24, 2008 2:37 AM

I've also noticed, as of late, that OAP doesn't light up quite as well at night either. It's even worse during the weekends when most office lights are off, leaving no additional light to support the apex. Not like much of this will make a difference in a few years when 880 West Broadway is unfortunately built in front of OAP, making the only "iconic" view of the building from the east. Already, the building barely stands out from the north because Bayside is beginning to block it from view.

kpexpress Jun 24, 2008 3:14 AM

I will be staying in Dallas, TX for the next two months and from the first day here I can tell that, in regards to lighting up buildings at night, San Diego has much to learn.

HurricaneHugo Jun 25, 2008 8:05 AM

So i was driving UCSD's old town shuttle that connects the transit center to the hillcrest medical center and overheard a passenger who takes that shuttle to Old town, then takes the coaster to north county, takes the Sprinter to San Marcos and finally walks 10 blocks or so home....

Makes me wonder...how is the Sprinter doing so far?

Fusey Jun 25, 2008 3:37 PM

^ The Union-Tribune just ran an article on that subject.

Derek Jun 25, 2008 4:17 PM

The transit district's Sprinter fare is the same as that for its Breeze buses – $2 one way, $4 for a day pass and $54 for a monthly pass.

Not bad.

HurricaneHugo Jun 26, 2008 2:57 AM

Damn, i thought it was every 15 minutes.

That must suck to miss your train and have to wait 30 minutes.

ShekelPop Jun 26, 2008 9:44 PM

From the June 26th CCDC Construction update:

"Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge Update
Construction of the Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge, linking the waterfront to the East Village over Harbor Drive is scheduled to begin next month. Construction will begin with the relocation of a water line along Harbor Drive, followed by the building of the center pylon, the south landing, the north landing and the bridge deck. The bridge spans 550 feet across Harbor Drive and the train and trolley tracks. This project is the final piece in the Park to Bay vision and will be complete in Fall 2009."

Really?!?! Awesome news.

Urban Sky Jun 27, 2008 1:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 3634871)
The transit district's Sprinter fare is the same as that for its Breeze buses – $2 one way, $4 for a day pass and $54 for a monthly pass.

Not bad.

i still contest that the sprinter was a waste of money.

so i havent been here for a few months...what the hell happened to skybar?

HurricaneHugo Jun 27, 2008 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban Sky (Post 3638324)
i still contest that the sprinter was a waste of money.

so i havent been here for a few months...what the hell happened to skybar?

What do you mean?

(i'm rarely in skybar so yea)

Derek Jun 27, 2008 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShekelPop (Post 3637946)
From the June 26th CCDC Construction update:

"Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge Update
Construction of the Park Boulevard – Harbor Drive Pedestrian Bridge, linking the waterfront to the East Village over Harbor Drive is scheduled to begin next month. Construction will begin with the relocation of a water line along Harbor Drive, followed by the building of the center pylon, the south landing, the north landing and the bridge deck. The bridge spans 550 feet across Harbor Drive and the train and trolley tracks. This project is the final piece in the Park to Bay vision and will be complete in Fall 2009."

Really?!?! Awesome news.

Sweet. :)

kpexpress Jun 27, 2008 6:16 AM

A moment of silence for KC BBQ.........

Derek Jun 27, 2008 5:24 PM

Noted restaurant destroyed by fire

Kansas City Barbeque known as filming location for 'top Gun'

By Greg Gross and Susan Shroder
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITERS

June 27, 2008

SAN DIEGO – A fire that started in an open cooking pit at Kansas City Barbeque yesterday gutted the landmark restaurant, known for its role in the 1986 Tom Cruise movie “Top Gun.”

“Catch us tomorrow, we'll have a plan then,” owner Cindy Blair said when asked about rebuilding plans as she surveyed the rubble.

The fire broke out about 2:15 p.m. in the Marina area restaurant on West Market Street, across the street from the Manchester Grand Hyatt hotel towers and near Seaport Village. Towering clouds of smoke could be seen billowing behind Petco Park, where the Padres were playing an afternoon baseball game.

A restaurant cook told firefighters the blaze flared up from inside the cooking pit and spread to the rest of the restaurant's interior, despite his efforts to put it out.

A force of 45 firefighters with six engine companies and two truck companies, managed to keep the blaze from spreading to an adjoining office building and had the fire knocked down in about 20 minutes.

But there was no saving the restaurant.

“It's gutted,” said San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque. “It's destroyed.”

Martin and Cindy Blair bought the bar in 1983, transforming it to the rib joint that reminded them of their Kansas roots.

The building once housed a bail bond business, until a motorcycle mechanic bought it in the 1950s and opened Club 153, a rowdy bar catering to cops from the then-nearby San Diego police headquarters.

When the Republican Party held its national convention in San Diego in 1996, the Blairs got a box of dirt from candidate Bob Dole's boyhood hometown of Russell, Kan., compliments of that town's mayor. The idea was, if Dole stopped in for a bite, he could stand on his own home turf.
The restaurant's ban on neckties didn't deter Republican conventioneers. Manager/bartender Jerry Granquist was quoted as saying they were dropping $100 tips at happy hour.

The restaurant, which serves barbecue fare such as ribs and chicken, was used for a bar scene in “Top Gun,” where Cruise crooned to love interest Kelly McGillis. A sign in the restaurant noted that the jet jockey movie's “sleazy bar scene” was filmed there.

Luque estimated damage at $250,000 to the structure and $150,000 to the contents, not including the value of decades worth of memorabilia, including photographs and props from the film. Hundreds of Navy caps and license plates hung on walls and ceilings.

Firefighters found Navy flight helmets inside the dining area – melted.

“It must've been a very intense fire,” Luque said. “You can see where the fire swirled around, then just took everything out.”

No one was injured. The only people inside at the time were five employees, including the cook. A few patrons were sitting on the patio outside; they quickly fled as the flames ravaged the interior.

Another cook, Charles Ryan, 53, was taking a break outside when he saw the smoke billowing out the front door. But he wasn't alarmed – yet.

“I've seen pit fires before. They're manageable,” said Ryan, who has worked at the restaurant for about six years. “Normally, you can put these things out; I've had a few of them myself. There's a hose right next to the pit.”

This time, however, the fire couldn't be contained. In the seconds it took Ryan to re-enter the establishment, “the whole kitchen was on fire and it was spreading out into the dining area,” he said.

Sandra Angelo, a magazine columnist and author, lives across the street from the restaurant on the 12th floor of City Front Terrace, a condominium complex.

She said her unit has a 280-degree view of downtown and San Diego Bay, and she saw smoke coming out of the chimney in the middle of the restaurant. She said it then got a little thicker, and “I just thought they were being a little enthusiastic with their barbecuing.”

But within minutes, she said, the smoke became very thick.

“It was just tons and tons of smoke,” she said, “billowing out of every single window” and was as high as a nearby 40-story building.

Railroad tracks used by the San Diego Trolley and the Coaster commuter train run right behind the restaurant. Had there been a freight train going by, it would have taken firefighters an extra 12 to 15 minutes to put out the blaze, Luque said.

Rob Schupp, a spokesman for Metropolitan Transit District, said trolley service in the area was stopped for about 10 minutes while fire hoses were across the tracks.

SD_Phil Jun 27, 2008 11:21 PM

I've been meaning to do some kind of update/photo tour for MONTHS now. Three months ago I moved from University City to Hillcrest and I went for a walk today and brought my camera with me. I managed to take some shots of three projects under construction in the Hillcrest/Banker's Hill/Downtown area. All pictures taken by me (and hosted on Flickr)

Atlas has been topped out for a while. Not especially tall but adds decent density to this area:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/...39433317_b.jpg

Mi Arbolito is a midrise on a tiny tiny lot just on the northwestern boundary of Balboa park. Interior work has been going on for a while.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/...8c30a084_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3128/...b2923615_b.jpg

??? Unknown stalled project on Sixth and Redwood. There hasn't been any movement on this in many many months. Anyone have any idea what this is?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3149/...d4c4acd4_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3233/...1f2d9471_b.jpg

Lastly I took some shots of downtown

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/...40992932_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3176/...155c0ab9_b.jpg