SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=223)
-   -   [Dartmouth] Lotus Point Living | 25 m | 7 fl | Completed (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194213)

Dmajackson Sep 30, 2011 4:31 AM

[Dartmouth] Lotus Point Living | 25 m | 7 fl | Completed

Rendering:

http://www.lotuspointliving.com/imag...ney--front.jpg
Credit: Lotuspointliving.com

Name: Lotus Point Living
Height: 23m
Floors: 7 Floors
Neighbourhood: Downtown Dartmouth
Year Completed:
Developer(s): Boris Holdings Ltd
Architect(s): Michael Napier Architect
Uses: Residential/Commercial
Notes:

Now that there is something resembling a rendering for this project I think its time for a thread. :)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6151/...441dfd4b_b.jpg

http://www.lotuspointliving.com/

The project is seven storeys tall and is located in Downtown Dartmouth at the corner of Ochterlonely & Victoria Streets. This is just a block away from the Greenvale Lofts and just up the street from Founder's Square. This is as-of-right and should be complete by 2013.

This project is being developed by Boris Holdings Inc. They are new to the scene in Halifax but they are behind some retail developments on Larry Uteck Boulevard.

Aya_Akai Sep 30, 2011 5:23 AM

Wooooooow, I really like this :tup:

The rendering- particularly to the right of the image kind of reminds me of Habitat67 in Montreal, although not quite as funky. lol:haha:

someone123 Sep 30, 2011 5:36 AM

So this is the Ferguson corner where they took down a few houses?

Looks like a great addition to the area.

hoser111 Sep 30, 2011 5:39 AM

Love the plan....would suck to own that house! lol

-Harlington- Sep 30, 2011 2:08 PM

this looks like it could be cool, i think downtown Dartmouth has a lot of potential .

it can do much better than its current condition .

Wishblade Sep 30, 2011 3:44 PM

I think we are just seeing the beginning. With what appears to be on the horizon and is already being built in Dartmouth, the skyline of it will be completely unrecognizeable in 5-10 years :).

JET Sep 30, 2011 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoser111 (Post 5428464)
Love the plan....would suck to own that house! lol

The house next to the development is very nice, although the next one along to the west is dreadful. It's good that it will be stepped back, the house won't be totally overwhelmed.

Dart101 Sep 30, 2011 8:45 PM

Looks Good

Hey everyone, I have been stalking this site for a few years but have never commented so , I thought it was about time I added my two cents on some of these projects. And just so it is clear I am very pro-development! This project, although not very tall looks great, I live ery close and am excited about DT dartmouth, Kings wharf, this project and others near the area. I think this project will add some class down here and hope there are no issues pushing it through.

fenwick16 Sep 30, 2011 9:58 PM

I am a bit surprised by all the positive comments. The building form looks good to me, but the rendering doesn't provide much detail. So it is difficult to judge how this will turn out. I hope that it will be built with decent materials and that the colour scheme will be changed (dark grey doesn't appeal to me).

haligonia Sep 30, 2011 10:02 PM

This is obviously a very early, preliminary rendering. if the project moves forward, I would expect to see more detailed renderings be released. This was just done in SketchUp, so the materials shown might not be the final materials.

Personally I am quite impressed with the modernity of the building and also the massing. It seems quite appropriate for the area.

planarchy Sep 30, 2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenwick16 (Post 5429143)
I am a bit surprised by all the positive comments. The building form looks good to me, but the rendering doesn't provide much detail. So it is difficult to judge how this will turn out. I hope that it will be built with decent materials and that the colour scheme will be changed (dark grey doesn't appeal to me).

I agree. Based on this rendering only, this project doesn't look great. The building looks awkward and windows seem disproportionately small. In generally, for a building called Lotus Point with a sort of zen/spa brand, this building seems heavy and imposing.

A terraced approach seems great for the site, but it doesn't seem to be well executed. To me this looks like the client not wanting to pay the architect to actually finish the job. I really hope that this improves. And like Fenwick said, materials can make or break or this project. Here's hoping for something good. Ochterloney is a great street and this could be a great addition if done right.

spaustin Oct 1, 2011 2:38 PM

I live just up the way from this one (in the flower streets). Downtown Dartmouth certainly needs more people living there and it's nice to see that this site won't sit empty for years and years like some of the other vacant lots have. Regarding the house next door, this project really isn't sympathetic to it at all. It does terrace down which is something, but it doesn't change the fact that that place will essentially be walled in on two sides. Maybe it's not a big deal though. I think that house is rental units so the owner might not mind.

halifaxboyns Oct 1, 2011 3:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaustin (Post 5429675)
I live just up the way from this one (in the flower streets). Downtown Dartmouth certainly needs more people living there and it's nice to see that this site won't sit empty for years and years like some of the other vacant lots have. Regarding the house next door, this project really isn't sympathetic to it at all. It does terrace down which is something, but it doesn't change the fact that that place will essentially be walled in on two sides. Maybe it's not a big deal though. I think that house is rental units so the owner might not mind.

The joy of as of right is that it really doesn't matter what the neighbour in the house next door thinks, if it meets the rules - off they go. :)

It's a very interesting development and I'm keeping in mind that I'm looking at just a sketchup rendering, but it will definitely help increase people in downtown Dartmouth. I think with King's Wharf, staff really recognized the need to encourage more and it's happened (finally).

JET Oct 12, 2011 12:15 PM

Small digger at the site this morning, moving a few rocks that were blocking the driveway. Might be the start.:)

JET Dec 7, 2011 5:51 PM

the domain name for lotuspointliving expired 11/04/11 and might be deleted. That doesn't sound promising.

Jstaleness Dec 7, 2011 7:53 PM

It is still listed on the Boris Holdings website as "coming soon"

halifaxboyns Dec 7, 2011 8:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstaleness (Post 5508197)
It is still listed on the Boris Holdings website as "coming soon"

Considering the news was reporting that Calgary, Vancouver and Halifax will lead the way in real estate sales next year - the fact the website domain has expired isn't a bad sign.

Could simply be they changed the name of the project or they are delaying it?

someone123 Dec 7, 2011 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halifaxboyns (Post 5508207)
Could simply be they changed the name of the project or they are delaying it?

Or they forgot about the domain name, or they're hosting the project page somewhere else...

halifaxboyns Dec 7, 2011 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone123 (Post 5508226)
Or they forgot about the domain name, or they're hosting the project page somewhere else...

Exactly...too soon to be jumping to any real conclusion.
I wouldn't be surprised though if some projects were hear about through the rumor mill might wait until the regional core plan is done in hopes that the development regulations might get easier.

Of course, the risk they run is that the area they hope to develop would actually get tougher...

someone123 Dec 7, 2011 8:27 PM

I think that with the shipbuilding contract there's a lot of pressure to get these things going now. People want to buy property now so that it appreciates and can be sold off when demand is high -- if builders wait 5 years to start these projects they will miss an opportunity.

The North End is sort of ground zero for this (those Young St proposed apartments will be very valuable for example and I hope we see about a dozen of those along that corridor), since it's kind of cheap and has the shipyard, but downtown Dartmouth is also an undervalued location that is pretty well located. I think it will be a great neighbourhood in a few years, and there's not much risk of it stagnating because we have already seen a few completed projects (Founder's Corner) and King's Wharf is already underway.