SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (Nordstrom)| 1,550 FT | 131 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191095)

Eidolon Nov 27, 2012 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 5915393)
You gotta love that Barnett. He'll have the highest occupied floors in town yet. It was only a couple of weeks ago that Related was boasting of having that at the Hudson Yards. And it guarantees that Vornado's tower won't block most of the views.

It will be fun to see how Related responds, we know nothing about their plans for the second phase of the railyards and I think that they are hiding something up their sleeves.

babybackribs2314 Nov 27, 2012 1:43 PM

I don't think that the Hudson Yards has the luxury cache of 57th Street so any supertall residentials are unlikely. Possibly a mixed-use tower--like the Equinox Building--but both the HY and Midtown East are intended to be first & foremost commercial neighborhoods.

NYguy Nov 27, 2012 1:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 5915397)
It will be fun to see how Related responds, we know nothing about their plans for the second phase of the railyards and I think that they are hiding something up their sleeves.

Yeah, notice has been sent out, the battle to be crowned "King of the New York Skyline" is on, and he intends to win it. 432 Park won't even hold the crown as NY's tallest residential for long, similar to One57.

Eidolon Nov 27, 2012 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 5915404)
Yeah, notice has been sent out, the battle to be crowned "King of the New York Skyline" is on, and he intends to win it. 432 Park won't even hold the crown as NY's tallest residential for long, similar to One57.

Isn't it amazing to realize that 1WTC will have the tallest roof in the city for such a short time before 432 Park takes that title, before being eclipsed itself. Let's just say I believe that even 225 W57th will be ecclipsed by a tower from the Hudson Yards district or one resulting from the Midtown rezoning after only a year or two of being the tallest in NYC.

Crawford Nov 27, 2012 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 5915413)
Let's just say I believe that even 225 W57th will be ecclipsed by a tower from the Hudson Yards district or one resulting from the Midtown rezoning after only a year or two of being the tallest in NYC.

I agree with this, and think both Hudson Yards and Midtown East have the strong likelihood for something even taller. Both areas will have far more generous zoning.

And 57th Street may have taller towers than 225 W57. Remember that Barnett is assembling yet another tower site on 57th between 5th & 6th Ave. That site is even more valuable than 225 W57.

There's also a major assemblage by developer Sheldon Solow, and a few other sites along 57th that could result in similar supertowers.

NYguy Nov 27, 2012 2:18 PM

Well, the Freedom Tower could at least have had the "tallest" overall title if the spire plan kicks in. Without it, it will just be in the pack. Meanwhile, Donald Trump must have had enough of this by now, if he can get back to what he does best. But as far as I'm concerned, Gary Barnet is top skyscraper builder in the city right now, even if other developers have more in the pipeline. He's never been afraid of height in his developments, even when it was frowned upon in some cases (UWS).

I just can't wait to see a rendering of this future king of NY.

pico44 Nov 27, 2012 2:21 PM

Wasn't there some talk of Herzog de Meuron designing this tower? I believe I saw a design for a skyscraper in Miami done by them that was less than inspiring; but my hopes remain very high.

Crawford Nov 27, 2012 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pico44 (Post 5915434)
Wasn't there some talk of Herzog de Meuron designing this tower? I believe I saw a design for a skyscraper in Miami done by them that was less than inspiring; but my hopes remain very high.

Yes, Barnett announced that Herzog & de Meuron will be the architects, so this will likely be something special.

It also probably won't be a standard box, because that's not really what these architects do. They will probably be some sort of roof element, whether crown or whatever.

NYguy Nov 27, 2012 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5915440)
They will probably be some sort of roof element, whether crown or whatever.

I was looking through some of the documents, and like the article stated, there will be an open air terrace/lounge on the "roof". Above that, 3 mechanical levels, which should be the crown.

http://www.pbase.com/nyguy/image/147569324/original.jpg
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JB...allbin=1080870

Units stack up as follows:

Floors 15 - 20: 4

Floors 21 - 66: 3

Floors 69 - 83: 2

JACKinBeantown Nov 27, 2012 3:14 PM

So it seems that if the terrace on 85 is open to the sky, then the three mechanical floors should be narrower (assuming the laws of physics as I understand them). Either that or a donut hole open to the sky.

CCs77 Nov 27, 2012 3:15 PM

I don't get it. People keep saying that 1550 feet is the highest occupied floor, So it should be taller when added mechanical floors and things like that, Is that so?

I am not familiarized with the building permits issues in NY or in the USA. But, generally, when they talk about building height is the building height, that is to the top of the building, and the permit says buiding height 1550 ft. Shouldn't it be to the top, to the roof? or effectively it is different in NY and it does mean highest occupied floor?

For example the Citigroup Center is 279 meters / 915 feet to the top of that 45º roof. And the Tower Verre was capped to 1050 ft. to the tip, not the highest floor, didn't it?

Also the 1398 ft of 432 park, would be to the roof. It will also have some mechanical floors above the highest occupied floor, but doesn't the permit states 1398 ft, that is the total height of the building?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eidolon (Post 5915397)

I don't think that nothing in the second fase of Hudson Yards will be taller than this, since the center piece of that development are the two office towers that are soon to begin construction.

But still could it be that the North Tower, that doesn't have a deffinitive design yet, will be taller than the 407 meters announced so far. (although it should be lengthened by 70 meters to beat this one)

Eidolon Nov 27, 2012 3:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 5915417)
I agree with this, and think both Hudson Yards and Midtown East have the strong likelihood for something even taller. Both areas will have far more generous zoning.

And 57th Street may have taller towers than 225 W57. Remember that Barnett is assembling yet another tower site on 57th between 5th & 6th Ave. That site is even more valuable than 225 W57.

There's also a major assemblage by developer Sheldon Solow, and a few other sites along 57th that could result in similar supertowers.

I do believe that it will be at least another year before we hear anything about any of those 57th street supertalls, but yeah, I do think that they are more than capable of beating 225 W57th in height, especially Barnett's tower between 5th and 6th avenue.

RoldanTTLB Nov 27, 2012 3:52 PM

Ok, so I read closer. Here's the sectional breakdown. It's continued in two parts, which is the source of the confusion. Sorry about the poor spacing. Getting tabs here is a pain:

Proposed Use Zoning Area District FAR
RESIDENTIAL 350,822 C5-1 3.86
RESIDENTIAL 367,908 C5-3 4.05
RESIDENTIAL 139,205 C6-6 1.53
COMMUNITY FACILITY 63,326 C5-1 1.94
COMMUNITY FACILITY 19,030 C5-3 0.21
COMMERCIAL 112,871 C5-1 1.24
COMMERCIAL 152,885 C5-3 1.68
UNNAMED 4,946 C6-6 0.05
Proposed Totals: 1,210,993 -- 13.32

NYCLuver Nov 27, 2012 4:06 PM

This is amazing! I can't wait to see some renderings and construction beginning! I'm drooling. :slob:

Imagine the pictures I can get from my job of this tower rising just a street away from One57! :slob:

sw5710 Nov 27, 2012 4:08 PM

I want to see a renders. Is the site just dirt today.

Crawford Nov 27, 2012 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCs77 (Post 5915505)
I don't think that nothing in the second fase of Hudson Yards will be taller than this, since the center piece of that development are the two office towers that are soon to begin construction.

We don't know anything yet re. the Western Yards, so Related could be planning taller towers than in the Eastern Yards.

Remember that the two announced office towers are just the centerpiece for the Eastern Yards.

RoldanTTLB Nov 27, 2012 6:19 PM

Dirt would be a little cleaner. It's mostly rubble. I assume the MW building is in the process of coming down, since full demo permits were recently approved. From there, it's unclear if digging will commence immediately or not.

sw5710 Nov 27, 2012 6:25 PM

How tall will this building be when 432 Park Ave tops out?

pico44 Nov 27, 2012 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw5710 (Post 5915762)
How tall will this building be when 432 Park Ave tops out?

134 feet from ground level. If you include the protruding rebar it will be 137.5 feet from ground level.

pico44 Nov 27, 2012 6:53 PM

From the Observer article:

Quote:

One thing that will not be new is the facade along Broadway, the former BF Goodrich building. Because of a deal struck with the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission in 2009, the old auto building at 225 West 57th can come down, despite the protests of preservationists, but its sibling at 1780 Broadway must remain. A 1920s red brick building, its 12-story facade must be integrated into whatever Mr. Barnett builds. The building will have T-shaped configuration as a result, with section on Broaway, 57th and 58th streets.
When I first read this I was confused and a little angry. Was Barnett trying to clear Broadway between 57th and 58th? It is a stretch of prewars as beautiful as any other shortblock in New York. I'm not too bright, so it took me a while to realize that the stunningly gorgeous buildings on each corner are staying as is, but the brick building in the middle will be gutted and incorporated into the building, leaving the facade intact. Whew (wipes brow). Anyhow, I'm sure it's been discussed in the thread ad nauseam but I had no idea the plot went all the way to Broadway. I knew it was big, just not this big. Speaking of which, check out this gem of a comment posted by an incredibly prescient--and stunningly handsome--forum member way back on Decemebr 9th, 2011:

Quote:

Wow, this is just a gigantic plot of land. Considering the height we're getting at the much smaller Carnegie57 and Drake sites, would it be out of the question to see something 1500+ here? Maybe even higher?
:cool: