SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Arrakis Jan 17, 2013 2:47 AM

Hey just noticed that the JUMP + store for Avalon Mall is listed under the building permits on page 29 of the city council permits.

http://stjohns.ca/sites/default/file...207%202013.pdf

mwd Jan 18, 2013 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5976456)
Hey just noticed that the JUMP + store for Avalon Mall is listed under the building permits on page 29 of the city council permits.

http://stjohns.ca/sites/default/file...207%202013.pdf

just checked their site it's says spring 2013. i need a new ipad now lol

jeddy1989 Jan 23, 2013 2:13 PM

Apparently Forever 21 is opening in Halifax, Maybe we will be soon after?
I know many people who would never go anywhere to shop again if we get one of them and a H&M hahaha

SignalHillHiker Jan 23, 2013 2:25 PM

I think that store just opened in Winnipeg when I was there. It's basically the same as Urban Planet - cheap as ****.

IronMan Jan 25, 2013 9:04 PM

I notice that Greco Pizza is returning to the city. They are opening a store in part of the former Blockbuster Video location on Torbay Road. Apparently the last ones closed due to poor financial management - but that is just a rumour.
Also, I noticed that the Subway on Stavanger Drive is closed. Does anyone know what is up with that? I thought they were doing well there???

Townie709 Jan 25, 2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronMan (Post 5987886)
I notice that Greco Pizza is returning to the city. They are opening a store in part of the former Blockbuster Video location on Torbay Road. Apparently the last ones closed due to poor financial management - but that is just a rumour.
Also, I noticed that the Subway on Stavanger Drive is closed. Does anyone know what is up with that? I thought they were doing well there???

The stevanger drive subway is closed?? Weird. My guess is its only a temporary closure. I was there like last week and it seemed pretty busy. I think that subway gets a lot of business from people on lunch breaks in the area, but I'm no expert.

SparkDT Jan 26, 2013 3:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5988013)
The stevanger drive subway is closed?? Weird. My guess is its only a temporary closure. I was there like last week and it seemed pretty busy. I think that subway gets a lot of business from people on lunch breaks in the area, but I'm no expert.

They're just closed for renovations.

statbass Jan 26, 2013 5:38 PM

Does anyone have info on what might be going into the old Sony Store location? Come to think of it, is it actually closed yet? I haven't been to the Avalon Mall in a while.

Arrakis Jan 27, 2013 4:36 PM

Havent heard of anything that is going in the Sony Store space though it would be a great location for JUMP+ store that is supposed to come to the mall soon. The Sony Store was still open last weekend when I was walking by but it was really getting cleaned out so I would say it will likely be gone pretty soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5988778)
Does anyone have info on what might be going into the old Sony Store location? Come to think of it, is it actually closed yet? I haven't been to the Avalon Mall in a while.

Arrakis Jan 27, 2013 4:39 PM

I noticed that the old TV Showcase store at Avalon Mall is now under construction so something is going there soon. Maybe that's where JUMP+ is going?

Marty_Mcfly Jan 27, 2013 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5989552)
I noticed that the old TV Showcase store at Avalon Mall is now under construction so something is going there soon. Maybe that's where JUMP+ is going?

You would be correct. Jump+ is setting up shop there.

Arrakis Jan 31, 2013 7:26 PM

Best Buy is closing over a dozen stores across Canada. I guess the electronics sales boom has burst.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...y-closure.html

statbass Jan 31, 2013 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5995325)
Best Buy is closing over a dozen stores across Canada. I guess the electronics sales boom has burst.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...y-closure.html

Forumers were discussing this on the Moncton Retail thread. I believe Best Buy is closing stores in ON, AB, BC, Man and QC. BB seems to do well here - but we always seem to buck the trend.

Here's a link that specifies which cities are affected:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...f-900-workers/

Ayreonaut Jan 31, 2013 7:47 PM

I think their new stores will be downsized as well. Makes sense. I'll go to places like that for TVs and things (but really, how often is that?), but Amazon is so much better for everything else.

Arrakis Jan 31, 2013 7:51 PM

Still think it was a great mistake opening the new Best Buy practically next door to Future Shop on Stavanger. It's a total bitch trying to get and out of there. Don't even try to make a left turn out of there on a Saturday afternoon. I have been down their many times and decided not to go in there at all knowing it's going to be a pain trying to get out of there. They should have opened it on Kelsey Drive or even in Pearl Gate in Mt Pearl. Future Shop serves the east end and there is nothing to serve the west end. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if one of these stores closed in the near future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5995358)
Forumers were discussing this on the Moncton Retail thread. I believe Best Buy is closing stores in ON, AB, BC, and QC. BB seems to do well here - but we always seem to buck the trend.

statbass Jan 31, 2013 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5995372)
Still think it was a great mistake opening the new Best Buy practically next door to Future Shop on Stavanger. It's a total bitch trying to get and out of there. Don't even try to make a left turn out of there on a Saturday afternoon. I have been down their many times and decided not to go in there at all knowing it's going to be a pain trying to get out of there. They should have opened it on Kelsey Drive or even in Pearl Gate in Mt Pearl. Future Shop serves the east end and there is nothing to serve the west end. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if one of these stores closed in the near future.

I agree - but pretty much anywhere else you go in Canada you'll see Futureshop and stone's throw away from Best Buy. It is a pain in the ass to navigate in and out of Best Buy, but that's pretty much the same for any store on Stavanger - the place is a mess. For some strange reason I prefer to go to Best Buy rather than Futureshop. I think it's because of their music section. :-)

Arrakis Jan 31, 2013 8:09 PM

Seriously, you think Best Buy has a good music selection. Your talking about Best Buy on Stavanger right? LOL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5995379)
I agree - but pretty much anywhere else you go in Canada you'll see Futureshop and stone's throw away from Best Buy. It is a pain in the ass to navigate in and out of Best Buy, but that's pretty much the same for any store on Stavanger - the place is a mess. For some strange reason I prefer to go to Best Buy rather than Futureshop. I think it's because of their music section. :-)

Arrakis Jan 31, 2013 8:13 PM

Did you mean the musical instrument dept or the cd section.? Cuz yes they have quite a nice music room down at Best Buy. Crappy selection of CD's though I don't buy CD's anymore like most people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5995379)

statbass Jan 31, 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5995410)
Did you mean the musical instrument dept or the cd section.? Cuz yes they have quite a nice music room down at Best Buy. Crappy selection of CD's though I don't buy CD's anymore like most people.

I meant musical instrument section. I can't believe places still sell CDs.

Ayreonaut Jan 31, 2013 11:00 PM

No kidding. I'm the only person I know who still buys CDs and I haven't bought one in a store for years!