SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Tempe Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96153)

Leo the Dog Jul 21, 2010 2:25 PM

I know Tempe officials said many months ago that the rubber was fatigued by the intense western sun, but I just watched a 12 News clip and eye-witnesses heard an "explosion" and had to duck from objects flying in the air.

glynnjamin Jul 21, 2010 3:20 PM

Personally, if I were a Tempe resident (especially one who paid a premium for one of those condos on the water) I'd be pretty pissed that the city didn't replace the thing when they were supposed to. As it stands right now, maybe this will compound to help downtown Phoenix's real estate market recover faster.

mwadswor Jul 21, 2010 3:39 PM

Quote:

Tempe Town Lake dam bursts
by Karina Bland and William Hermann
Jul. 20, 2010 06:51 AM

Tempe Town Lake overnight became a bog after one of the four inflatable bladders at the west end of the lake exploded around 9:44 p.m., sending a wall of water into the Salt River bed.

On Wednesday morning swampy patches of earth could be seen in many parts of the lake bed, with standing water in the center.

Tempe spokeswoman Kris Baxter estimated that at least three-quarters of the about 1 billion gallons of water had drained overnight. Officials say the dam breach left some areas of the lake with three feet of water or less; the average lake depth is about 16 feet.

Tempe officials have scheduled a 10 a.m. press conference to provide details.

Tempe City Councilman Corey D. Woods said the city had been planning to replace the four rubber bladders at both ends of the lake starting last spring. However, he said, heavy rains and subsequent releases into the Salt River prevented that work from getting started on time.

"We already have two bladders in hand and were prepared to do the earthwork but couldn't," Woods said. Water was being released into the river all spring, he said.

Tempe Fire spokesman Mike Reichling said, "Fortunately, we were prepared for this exact circumstance. Within the last few months we had a drill for what we would do if this happened.

Reichling said fire officials got a call within a minute after the bladder burst and notified emergency crews throughout the Valley. Helicopters flew the length of the Salt River bed to make sure no one was in the water's path.

Reichling said eyewitnesses told officials that when the bladder exploded, it sounded like a giant balloon popping, and said water immediately began flowing into the river bed out of the lake.

The river filled as far as the eye could see within seconds, witnesses reported.

Warning sirens started wailing within minutes, and officers rushed along the riverbed to try to warn anyone of the approaching flood.

In April 2009, Tempe officials said they intended to ignore a safety recommendation from the makers of Town Lake's rubber dams because sufficient safeguards already were in place to prevent the dams from deflating.

Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman rushed to the scene Tuesday and said authorities didn't yet know why the dam failed. The top concern was public safety, so city officials alerted all the municipalities downstream, along with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, he said.

Hallman said the other cities were checking their sections of the river for anyone in the water's path. Helicopters were scanning the river, along with emergency personnel.

Hallman said transients are known to camp on the river bottom this time of year.

The mayor said the flow was 15,000 cubic feet per second, equivalent to the amount released during heavy storm flows.

He added that the lake is now closed to the public.

Tempe police said no structures were in danger. Sheriff's deputies and police officers were riding ATVs along the river to see if anyone was in peril.

The lake stretches along the Salt south of Loop 202 from east of Rural Road to west of Mill Avenue.

Federal river flow gauges downstream showed the sudden spike in water flow rates as the lake drained. The amount of water measured at Priest Drive rose from nearly nothing at 9:45 p.m. to more than 13,000 cubic feet per second an hour later.

Such a spike in river flow is comparable to winter flash floods on rivers in Arizona's high country.

The amount of water moving in the river was less than the amounts that flowed downstream during rainy winters in the past. In January 2009, the river flowed at more than 18,000 cubic feet per second at its peak, as Salt River Project spilled water from its reservoirs upstream. During the winter of 2005, the flow peaked at about 41,000 cubic feet per second.

But in those cases, the flow was increased gradually over days or weeks.

Water that flows downstream will eventually reach Painted Rock Dam northwest of Gila Bend. The flood control dam can contain about as much water as Roosevelt Lake, far more than could escape from relatively small Tempe Town Lake.

Preston Swan, 24, of Tempe, witnessed the dam's collapse.

"It sounded like a big explosion," he said.

He and some friends were riding bikes in the area when a section of the recreational lake's western dam erupted. It collapsed immediately and water instantly surged into the riverbed.

Maureen Howell, 24, of Tempe, said she called 911 and that police arrived almost immediately.

"We stuck around because we thought this was a once-in-a-lifetime event," she said.

Philip Kanemeyer, 23, of Tempe, said the sound of the explosion was so loud that he ducked. "I saw pieces flying 10 feet into the air."

"It just flooded over in seconds," he said. "It was a high wall of water."

Lukas Henderson, 13, of Tempe, was biking on the north side of the lake with his sister and dad.

"All of a sudden, we heard this ka-boom and the ground started shaking," he said.

Six- to 8-foot waves poured out.

"It was like, whoosh, and the lake started emptying," he said. "It was amazing."

A crowd of hundreds soon gathered Tuesday night on the south side of the lake to observe the spectacle. Witnesses said small animals climbed up the river's banks to escape the floodwaters.

The lake was expected to continue draining Tuesday night and into Wednesday morning.

Tempe Town Lake, containing 977 million gallons of water, had its 10th anniversary Dec. 12.

Repairs had been scheduled to begin on the dam, which was deteriorating more rapidly than expected, in early February. But a severe winter storm postponed the work.

Hallman said replacement dams were being built but had not yet been completed.

In 2009, the dams' manufacturer, Bridgestone Industrial Products, had urged Tempe to evaluate whether the safety measures at the lake were sufficient "to prevent injury and reduce the risk of loss of life" if the dams were to rapidly deflate. Bridgestone manufactured the eight inflatable dams that contained the lake.

The eastern dams upstream are submerged and have held up. But a plan to keep the western dams wet failed, exposing the rubber to scorching sun that has damaged the material.

Tempe and Bridgestone officials have argued over whose fault that is. In March 2009, the City Council approved an agreement for Bridgestone to replace the four damaged dams at the lake's western end.

But the question of people's safety on the lake if the dams were to deflate remained a sticking point. Bridgestone recommended that the city look at increasing the buffer zone between safety buoys and the western dams, adding warning signage and enhancing the alarm system to better warn lake users if the dams rapidly deflate.

The cost to temporarily replace the dams was estimated at $2.5 million earlier this year. Tempe at that time budgeted an additional $250,000 to fund the project's contingency costs. Bridgestone was expected to reimburse Tempe up to $3 million of the costs to replace the dam.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ke0720-ON.html

plinko Jul 21, 2010 5:21 PM

I can't believe that NO ONE has any pictures? What does the lake look like today?

Vicelord John Jul 21, 2010 5:24 PM

Plinko, its 10:30. Im not even out of bed yet. Youre complainong too early.

PHX31 Jul 21, 2010 5:36 PM

There are some pictures on azcentral.com.

I wonder what happened to all of the fish? Free white water rapid ride down to the gulf?

glynnjamin Jul 21, 2010 5:38 PM

search on twitter. there are some decent ones from ppl on the LRT

glynnjamin Jul 21, 2010 5:49 PM

Someone had mentioned something about the old Regions location.

It is going to be Canteen - the place that was originally slated to open next to Fate/Nine|05 before the falling out.

Vicelord John Jul 21, 2010 5:54 PM

Glenn are you sure the name isnt a coincidence?

glynnjamin Jul 21, 2010 6:21 PM

I guess you are right John. They are slightly different concepts. Seems suspicious to me though.

Here is the write-up about Tempe's Canteen:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bel..._canteen_m.php
http://www.canteentequilabar.com/

I guess it is a different owner..but they sure sound alike.
Writeup about the Phx Canteen - http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...ntown-phoenix/

Vicelord John Jul 21, 2010 6:24 PM

yeah. I've pretty much learned that when you post something, you have one thing right and one thing wrong every time.

Canteen was Matt Carter's concept downtown. He withdrew from the project when Nine|05 failed.

Apparently the coincidence of two places having the same name is unimaginable to you.

:)

Vicelord John Jul 21, 2010 6:48 PM

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d6...6676801_n1.jpg

glynnjamin Jul 21, 2010 6:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 4920258)
yeah. I've pretty much learned that when you post something, you have one thing right and one thing wrong every time.

Canteen was Matt Carter's concept downtown. He withdrew from the project when Nine|05 failed.

Apparently the coincidence of two places having the same name is unimaginable to you.

:)

I think the coincidence was actually that one was called Canteen & had a tequila bar attached to it called El Ray...and this one is just both concepts mashed together and called Canteen. It's a coincidence like how Armegeddon AND Deep Impact came out about the same time. Seems like someone stole an idea.

Also, it is hard following all of this stuff from Seattle. Gimme a break

Tempe_Duck Jul 21, 2010 7:58 PM

I have two pictures. Let's see if I can get them up here.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c773xDs_9uU/TE...-21-120141.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_c773xDs_9uU/TE...-21-121147.jpg

Don B. Jul 21, 2010 10:49 PM

^ Maybe Tempe will need to change their name to "Skeeter Flats." Will need to do so if they don't get the insects under control.

--don

mwadswor Jul 21, 2010 11:01 PM

My initial reaction was that this isn't as bad as it looks. Tempe was already planning on replacing the dams, already has a lot of the parts on hand, and Bridgestone has already agreed to pay a substantial portion of that cost due to the warranty issues. Another major cost that I haven't really seen talked about though is all the private equipment that has almost certainly been damaged by this. All those boats in the marina and the floating docks around the lake probably sustained a fair amount of damage, and the city of Tempe is probably going to be liable for a lot of that damage.

Tempe_Duck Jul 21, 2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwadswor (Post 4920620)
My initial reaction was that this isn't as bad as it looks. Tempe was already planning on replacing the dams, already has a lot of the parts on hand, and Bridgestone has already agreed to pay a substantial portion of that cost due to the warranty issues. Another major cost that I haven't really seen talked about though is all the private equipment that has almost certainly been damaged by this. All those boats in the marina and the floating docks around the lake probably sustained a fair amount of damage, and the city of Tempe is probably going to be liable for a lot of that damage.

From the looks of the docks that I saw, they all seemed to be ok. The lake wasn't that deep so they are just resting on the wall and ground.

Phxguy Jul 22, 2010 12:01 AM

It's obvious that they'll fill lake back up but when?

PHX31 Jul 22, 2010 12:06 AM

According to the City Council member on NPR this morning, all of the boats are fine.

Tempe_Duck Jul 22, 2010 1:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 4920686)
It's obvious that they'll fill lake back up but when?

There was a story in the republic say they would have it ready by the Iron Man in November. Looks like they are going to replace all the bladders now that there is no water to worry about. It said they are going to release water from Roosevelt to fill it back up.

ciweiss Jul 22, 2010 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck (Post 4920810)
There was a story in the republic say they would have it ready by the Iron Man in November. Looks like they are going to replace all the bladders now that there is no water to worry about. It said they are going to release water from Roosevelt to fill it back up.

I am glad that they will be filling the lake back up in Nov. It is nice that Bridgestone will help pay for this. At the same time who in their right minds would have thought that a black rubber inflatable device would have lasted 20-25 years in the first place. Once the new rubber has been installed I believe the city needs to look for a better long term solution. I think this is what happens when you try to do something on the cheap - you end up paying more in the end anyways. They are LUCKY noone was hurt. The lawsuit would have costed more than the dam. With that being said I hope to see water in there soon and that mosquitos don't breed in the mean time...

Tempe_Duck Jul 22, 2010 2:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciweiss (Post 4920836)
I am glad that they will be filling the lake back up in Nov. It is nice that Bridgestone will help pay for this. At the same time who in their right minds would have thought that a black rubber inflatable device would have lasted 20-25 years in the first place. Once the new rubber has been installed I believe the city needs to look for a better long term solution. I think this is what happens when you try to do something on the cheap - you end up paying more in the end anyways. They are LUCKY noone was hurt. The lawsuit would have costed more than the dam. With that being said I hope to see water in there soon and that mosquitos don't breed in the mean time...

If I remember correctly there was originally going to be a "waterfall" effect of water poring over the damn then being recirculated back to the lake. There was some engineering problem that prevented this. If water was covering the damn it would have protected the rubber from the sun.

bwonger06 Jul 22, 2010 3:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck (Post 4920844)
If I remember correctly there was originally going to be a "waterfall" effect of water poring over the damn then being recirculated back to the lake. There was some engineering problem that prevented this. If water was covering the damn it would have protected the rubber from the sun.

Yes, that was how the lifespan could reach 30 years. The east side is suppose to be totally find because it gets a lot of runoff so the dams get submerged more often meanwhile the west side only gets submerged when the lake releases water which is probably only twice a year.

Vicelord John Jul 22, 2010 3:55 AM

Tempe duck spelled it damn, lol.

Phxguy Jul 22, 2010 6:18 AM

Quote:

Oh ok, who ever though of this idea of black rubber dams in Phoenix must also of thought of putting paper houses here. Once the sun burns it all hell breaks loose.

nickkoto Jul 22, 2010 7:26 AM

I wasn't able to make it near the dam, but I got a couple pictures from further up the lake this afternoon.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/9732/photo4xrm.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5633/photo2vc.jpg

Don B. Jul 22, 2010 9:24 AM

I think painting the rubber white would have helped to protect the black rubber from the harsh sun and elements.

Now pay me $10,000 for my consultation fee. LOL.

--don

mwadswor Jul 22, 2010 2:59 PM

Quote:

A lot of years they release water in August/September because of the monsoon. Any idea how they handle the runoff while they're rebuilding the dams? Just channel it through a section they're not working on, and hope there isn't too much water?

HX_Guy Jul 22, 2010 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don B.;
I think painting the rubber white would have helped to protect the black rubber from the harsh sun and elements.

Now pay me $10,000 for my consultation fee. LOL.

--don

What about some sort of shade structure over the rubber dams?

Vicelord John Jul 22, 2010 5:39 PM

What about a dam made from concrete? Would that make too much sense? The only maintenance would be the moving gates, and they could produce a small amount of power, to power all the lake's amanities.

What about a beaver dam?

Jsmscaleros Jul 22, 2010 7:05 PM

I gotta imagine that they've considered this and the cost of even a primitive concrete dam is exponentially more expensive than the rubber bladders which need to be periodically replaced. Also, the pedestrian bridge that is supposed to be constructed over the dam later this year (or next) will provide additional shade - and perhaps a sprinkler system that actually works - to keep the dams wet.

phoenixwillrise Jul 22, 2010 7:14 PM

With the rubber dam you would think they would have had some redudancy built.

Tempe_Duck Jul 22, 2010 8:20 PM

Just drove by the dam on the Priest bridge. It looks like they have deflated the other 3 bladders.

mwadswor Jul 22, 2010 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros (Post 4921663)
I gotta imagine that they've considered this and the cost of even a primitive concrete dam is exponentially more expensive than the rubber bladders which need to be periodically replaced. Also, the pedestrian bridge that is supposed to be constructed over the dam later this year (or next) will provide additional shade - and perhaps a sprinkler system that actually works - to keep the dams wet.

I'm pretty sure the decision to go with rubber dams has more to do with the potential for runoff than cost. The ability to deflate the dams during times of heavy river flow is important. It takes more than "a primitive concrete dam" to channel the amount of water that the salt needs to be prepared to handle during a 1,000 year flood.

Jsmscaleros Jul 22, 2010 11:19 PM

Regardless of construction material, you can't build a dam without flow control; every concrete dam has a control system to manage flooding both upstream and downstream. That's just part of the whole point of building a dam. By requiring only a 'primitive' system, I was referring to the relatively small size of the salt river at the current dam site as opposed to the dams upstream that are needed to create larger reservoirs. In that sense, any dam created for Tempe Town Lake would be less-intensive and sophisticated than ones holding larger amounts of water. The rubber dams are a good compromise, because they seem to manage flow well at low cost, they obviously just require more frequent replacement and/or maintenance. Essentially, I think we both agree.

mwadswor Jul 23, 2010 10:25 PM

Heh, cool. Well, less cool if you're a fish, I'm sure the alligator's happy though.

Quote:

Tempe Town Lake dam burst: Surviving fish will die

by Katie Urbaszewski - Jul. 23, 2010 12:00 AM

Once Tempe officials determined the fish that remained in Tempe Town Lake would not survive a possible rescue mission, they decided to dispose of them in what they deem to be the most natural way possible: by feeding them to an alligator.

Hundreds and possibly thousands of fish were left in small pools scattered throughout the 220-acre lake after one of its dams breached Tuesday night and sent nearly a billion gallons of water cascading down the normally dry Salt River.

Because of the heat, sediment and low oxygen levels, authorities determined that the remaining fish would not survive being gathered and transported to another lake.

"And even if we could, most are carp," said Rick Amalfi, vice president for Aquatic Consulting and Testing, the contractor Tempe hired for the cleanup. "Where would we put them? Most urban lakes are always looking for ways to get rid of carp."

Russ Johnson, president of the Phoenix Herpetological Society, owns an alligator named Tuesday and suggested the idea. Officials will feed some of the recently deceased fish to Tuesday this morning at 11 a.m. in the parking lot of the Tempe Center for the Arts.

Tuesday is a 6-foot, bred-in-captivity alligator, and Johnson regularly brings her to classrooms to educate students. Tuesday was one of 32 alligators seized by Arizona Game and Fish agents in 2005 from a man illegally transporting them.

Amalfi said this new plan works out well because he expected many of the fish to die Thursday night due to lack of oxygen production from algae.

The cleanup has been very minimal at this point, and the fishy smell many onlookers said they've smelled at the lake is actually a damp sediment smell, he said.

"We're not seeing fish all over the place and fins sticking out of the water," he said. "It seems most fish went right out over the downstream dam."

Though officials didn't know how many fish might be left, the department knew the population of surviving fish couldn't be large after 95 percent of the water rushed downstream, said Game and Fish spokesman Rory Aikens.

"And as shallow as that water is, and as much nutrients got mixed up in the water along with poor oxygen levels - that's pretty much doomed the vast majority of any fish left," Aikens said.

Amalfi said his cleanup crew, which for the past two days has only consisted of four people, planned a larger cleanup Thursday night.

"We'll pick up and dispose of the dead fish, but we'll bag those that are relatively fresh," he said.

Aquatic Consulting is also focusing on mosquito control to "make sure things don't get out of hand too much too quickly," Amalfi said.

Workers will use a combination of chemicals that target mosquitoes in the water, including pellets that sink and dissolve in the water. The city is also considering leveling the bottom of the lake so water doesn't collect.

"We want to have as little of an impact on the environment as possible," Amalfi said.

Cleaning up any remaining fish will keep the smell at bay, and how long the sediment odor lasts depends on the weather, he said.

"As it dries, it'll go away," Amalfi said. "If we get hot, dry weather it should go away pretty quickly."

In the meantime, Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman said he is confident the lake will be refilled by November, and Game and Fish water-quality analyst Marc Dahlberg said that when the lake is refilled the department will begin to rebuild the fish population.

As the lake refills from the Salt River Project canal system, fish will flow in as well, Dahlberg said. This is how Tempe Town Lake received most of its fish in the past, he added.

But the lake's environment, with a drastically smaller amount of sediment, algae, aquatic plants and minnows, will not be able to support the population of fish it did before, Dahlberg said. He said until the lake becomes a more stable environment, fish will not thrive or reproduce.

But the Game and Fish Department always brings in a supply of trout to be caught before the summer months, when the temperature is too hot for them to survive, Dahlberg said.

People who fish at Tempe Town Lake can expect the fishing to improve slowly over time, Dahlberg said. Catches will be unlikely immediately after the lake is filled but should get back to normal in a couple of years.

"You might catch a bass that's 8 inches this year, and a 12- to 15-inch one in a couple of years," he said.
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...d-dam0723.html

dtnphx Jul 27, 2010 11:16 PM

Tempe gets four new businesses on Mill Avenue
by Dianna M. Náñez - Jul. 27, 2010 10:46 AM
The Arizona Republic

The old saying, "When one door closes, another opens," could become a mantra for downtown Tempe.

At least four independently-owned businesses are scheduled to open next month in the Mill Avenue District, taking over spaces where other businesses couldn't survive.

Downtown Tempe stakeholders have long pushed for more independent businesses after watching a slew of chain stores close in the past decade.

Nancy Hormann, president of Downtown Tempe Community Inc., which manages downtown for area landowners, hopes Valley residents will support the new business ventures of people living in their community.

Kanpai Sushi restaurant is opening at Seventh Street and Mill Avenue where Uno Chicago Grill closed late last year after a long run serving deep-dish pizza. Canteen Modern Tequila Bar will try to make a go of it at Sixth Street and Mill,another high-profile downtown corner where Region's Bistro & Bar opened and closed twice in just over a year.

The tequila bar is backed by Julian Wright, who has had success on Mill with La Bocca, a restaurant and wine bar that draws regulars for cocktails, brick-oven pizzas and bruschetta.

Stan's Metro Deli is making a comeback downtown after closing about a decade ago. The popular traditional Jewish deli first closed in 1990 after a kitchen grease fire destroyed its building. The deli reopened in downtown Tempe, only to close in the late 1990s shortly after the business was sold.

Stan's is expected to open in August with the original owners at the southwestern corner of Fourth Street and Mill, in a space where two Vietnamese restaurants closed in the past couple of years.

Qiana Shaw and Roy Wilson are finally debuting Poppa Maize, a gourmet popcorn shop, next to MADCAP Theater just west of Mill and Seventh Street.

Shaw, a Youngtown resident, and Wilson, a Phoenix resident, had such success with their popcorn shop in north Phoenix that many customers lobbied for a Southeast Valley location.

But opening on Mill was only a dream for the two friends until the Downtown Tempe Community sponsored a free-rent-on-Mill-Avenue contest last year. The contest accepted proposals from a host of independent entrepreneurs hoping to win one year of free rent. Poppa Maize was selected to open at DMB Associate's Centerpoint on Mill complex, which stretches from University Drive to Sixth Street along Mill, in a space formerly occupied by a Sportsfan sports apparel store.

Winning the contest gave Shaw and Wilson the financial boost they needed to afford the expansion.

"We're really excited . . . we're going to bring 26 of the most unusual flavors of popcorn to downtown Tempe. Like our Phoenix store, we plan to make it a fun place to be," she said.

Poppa Maize sells flavors as exotic as cake batter, white chocolate cherry and blueberries and wings and ranch, in addition to more traditional fare like candy bar caramel and cheesy chipotle. Sodas in unusual flavors will be added to the Tempe menu.

Shaw invites Southeast Valley residents to visit the shop and propose their own crazy popcorn concoctions. "Cookies and cream was actually a customer request for our Phoenix store. It was so popular we kept it on our menu," Shaw said.

Hormann says Mill Avenue District restaurants seeing success have focused on service, quality food and making customers feel like they are among friends.

"You have to create that familiarity downtown . . . become a place where people know you when you walk in the door and maintain that community friendliness," she said.

Also helping businesses is a campaign to market the availability of free or affordable parking downtown, which was promoted after many customers complained about paying for parking to shop or eat on Mill.

Hormann highlighted a paved lot at Fifth Street and Farmer Avenue that offers free parking except during major events. A lot with 267 spaces at Maple Avenue and Fifth Street is free for the first hour and the City Hall parking garage at Fifth Street and Forest Avenue offers free covered parking for the first hour and charges nothing after 6 p.m. and on the weekends.

mwadswor Jul 28, 2010 4:51 PM

Quote:

Tempe Town Lake dam replacement put on hold

Dianna M. Náñez - Jul. 28, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

The state water agency charged with Arizona's non-federal dam safety has put the replacement of the Tempe Town Lake dam on hold until the agency can feel confident the new dam will be safe.

Michael Johnson, assistant director and chief engineer of the Arizona Department of Water Resources, said Tempe must give the department a plan for investigating the cause of the dam's failure and an updated timeline for construction of a new dam on the west side of the lake. The city agreed to do so.

Johnson said his agency might allow construction to begin before the investigation is complete if it feels confident that the new dam will be secure. Johnson was part of a team of more than a dozen experts who inspected the broken dam Tuesday along with Tempe city officials. He noted it was fortunate that nobody was killed when the dam that had been deteriorating for years burst.

"Dam failure can lead to injury, loss of life and property and infrastructure damage downstream. Our job is to prevent those things from happening," he said.

He would not speculate on whether the decision to put construction on hold would affect the city's goal of reopening Town Lake by November. He said Tempe officials told him they would submit a plan for the investigation and construction within a few days.

The Tuesday inspection and a meeting that followed were attended by several entities that have a stake in the dam.

Representatives from PCL Construction Inc., the company that was contracted to replace the dam, were present. Also attending were engineers from Bridgestone Industrial Products Inc., the manufacturer of the dam that ruptured and the replacement dam; and officials from Stantec Consulting, the engineering and construction consultant for the dam replacement.

Among the Tempe officials inspecting the deflated rubber dam was Assistant City Manager Jeff Kulaga.

Johnson said everyone at the site was acutely aware that the timing of the dam rupture, which failed at 9:46 p.m. on July 20, saved lives.

When the dam burst, an explosion of rubber could be heard, emergency-warning sirens sounded and water hurled west down the Salt River bed. Had it ruptured the next morning, when the state water agency had approved Tempe sending teams of workers to the west wall of the dam to begin replacing the deteriorating rubber dams, someone likely would have been killed, officials have agreed. "I think the timing was fortunate . . . it could have been a whole different situation," said Don Darden, a Bridgestone spokesman.

Tempe had planned to replace the deteriorating dam that failed with a new set of four rubber dams on loan from Bridgestone. Within five years, as per a legal agreement with Bridgestone, Tempe would remove the temporary dam and install a permanent one.

Despite the setback, Kulaga said Tempe still hopes to have the new dam in place and the lake filled by November in time for the Ford Ironman Arizona triathlon and other activities hosted at the lake that attract much-needed tourism dollars for the cash-strapped city.

"We look forward to cooperating with (the state agency) with regard to safety of the dam and the water resources involved," he said. "I think based on our meeting, we can confidently move toward that (November) timeline."

Johnson said the officials attending Tuesday's meeting understood that meeting that goal of restoring Town Lake depends on how quickly the investigation into the dam failure unfolds.

"I think everybody's on the same page about safety," he said.

Johnson said no one would know for certain why the dam failed until its sections are moved to a warehouse for closer inspection.

Darden said Bridgestone hopes Tempe will allow the company's engineers to analyze the ruptured dam.

"It will need a thorough investigation, and certainly we want to be a part of that," he said.

While the officials and experts walked the dam wreckage Tuesday, Bill Curry, a retired Tempe resident who walks the lake almost daily, peered down at them. He hoped that the groups involved in restoring Town Lake don't get sidetracked.

"My worry is that politics and the lawyers that are going to come into this . . . don't interfere with getting the lake back up," he said. "I watched them build it. I want to see it filled again."
http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...placement.html

ciweiss Jul 29, 2010 2:39 AM

Here's some good news...

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...l?surround=lfn

Limelight Networks moves to downtown Tempe

Limelight Networks, an online content delivery network based in Tempe, announced today it will be the first tenant in the Tempe Gateway building owned by Seattle-based Vulcan Real Estate.

Limelight, founded in 2001, is leasing 65,000 square feet of Class A office space spread over two stories of the eight story, 260,000-square-foot building in downtown Tempe. The new office will become home to 200 Tempe employees in early 2011. The lease is valid for eight years with renewable options. Limelight officials declined to name the price they paid for the space.

Limelight’s headquarters, which have always been located in Tempe, were previously spread across five separate offices and totaled about 35,000 square feet in space. Limelight Vice President of Marketing Paul Alfieri said that although the company is consolidating into one building, they are actually doubling their space - which, he said, was necessary as the company has grown in the last few years.

“In nine years we have gone from startup business to global company, and have had to hire a significant amount of employees in that time,” Alfieri said. “We simply needed more space.”

Limelight has 600 worldwide employees today, compared to about 250 employees just two years ago, with the highest number of employees in Tempe. Alfieri said Limelight plans to hire more people to work in the new office, although a specific number has not yet been determined.

The office, which was purchased by Vulcan in June of this year, was the real estate company’s first purchase outside of Seattle.

“Today’s news represents an exciting milestone not only for our Tempe Gateway building but also for the downtown Tempe area as a whole. Tempe Gateway will represent a world-class headquarters for one of Tempe’s most innovative and fastest-growing homegrown companies,” said Ada Healey, vice president of real estate at Vulcan Inc., in a prepared statement.

bwonger06 Jul 29, 2010 3:34 AM

Very good news. Hopefully that places fills up quickly and we get some ground floor retail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciweiss (Post 4928475)
Here's some good news...

Limelight Networks, an online content delivery network based in Tempe, announced today it will be the first tenant in the Tempe Gateway building owned by Seattle-based Vulcan Real Estate.

Limelight, founded in 2001, is leasing 65,000 square feet of Class A office space spread over two stories of the eight story, 260,000-square-foot building in downtown Tempe. The new office will become home to 200 Tempe employees in early 2011. The lease is valid for eight years with renewable options. Limelight officials declined to name the price they paid for the space.

Limelight’s headquarters, which have always been located in Tempe, were previously spread across five separate offices and totaled about 35,000 square feet in space. Limelight Vice President of Marketing Paul Alfieri said that although the company is consolidating into one building, they are actually doubling their space - which, he said, was necessary as the company has grown in the last few years.

“In nine years we have gone from startup business to global company, and have had to hire a significant amount of employees in that time,” Alfieri said. “We simply needed more space.”

Limelight has 600 worldwide employees today, compared to about 250 employees just two years ago, with the highest number of employees in Tempe. Alfieri said Limelight plans to hire more people to work in the new office, although a specific number has not yet been determined.

The office, which was purchased by Vulcan in June of this year, was the real estate company’s first purchase outside of Seattle.

“Today’s news represents an exciting milestone not only for our Tempe Gateway building but also for the downtown Tempe area as a whole. Tempe Gateway will represent a world-class headquarters for one of Tempe’s most innovative and fastest-growing homegrown companies,” said Ada Healey, vice president of real estate at Vulcan Inc., in a prepared statement.

mwadswor Jul 29, 2010 2:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciweiss (Post 4928475)
Here's some good news...

Great news. Not only a new tenant dt, but doubling their office space, so it's not just shifting business from 1 part of Tempe to another part, but actually growing.

HooverDam Aug 1, 2010 7:40 PM

Quote:

Tempe Coffee shop, restaurant proposed for Transportation Center

1 comment by Dianna M. Náñez - Jul. 29, 2010 11:35 PM
The Arizona Republic

An oasis of urban amenities is on tap for the Tempe Transportation Center.

The scores of Valley residents who pass through the transit hub already have access to the state's first full-service biking center.

Locally grown produce, gourmet coffee, art and wine soon could be among the options available at the public-transportation complex when the Urban Marketplace, the brainchild of twoValley residents, opens, possibly in the fall.

When Tempe built the $26 million three-story building, city officials hoped to fill it with businesses that incorporate environmentally friendly aspects in their operations in keeping with the center's environmentally conscious construction.

Tempe also wanted to create a hub for services geared toward people who take light rail or buses, which are stationed at the Transportation Center.

In keeping with the idea of a public/private partnership, Tempe maintains space at the city-owned building for public meetings and moved its transit-services department to the center.

The Bicycle Cellar, the first business in the building, moved in last year. The shop is equipped with secured storage for bikes as well as showers, lockers, bike rentals and custom-made bicycles for sale. Bike repairs are done by co-owner John Romero

The bike business has a loyal following of people who had long wanted a service that made it easier to give up their cars, Romero said.

The addition of Urban Marketplace, a gourmet coffee shop and restaurant, would provide creature comforts for public-transportation users.

The marketplace is a co-venture by Virginia Senior and Kim Kristoff, who own Urban Beans, a successful coffee shop near Seventh Street and Osborn Road in Phoenix.They hope to open Urban Marketplace by mid-October.

Expanding to the transit center, where there are ready-made customers who choose public transportation, makes the center the "the perfect spot for us," Senior said.

"Both of us have always longed for this kind of urban living ... where you have more community-minded options, locally grown foods, artists," she said.

"Those are the things that interest us. We're finally starting to see enough critical mass in the Valley that wants those things too. We're seeing more people who want to be engaged in caring about their community."

Senior said she hopes to host a farmers market on Saturdays and offer customers a food cooperative where they could regularly purchase boxed farm-fresh foods.

Romero said the sustainable options would appeal to his clientele.

"Our members know choosing a bike over a car is good for the environment and we make that convenient for them," Romero said. "A place for them to gather, grab a cup of coffee, eat farm-fresh foods . . . that would be a great match."

Tony Nicosia, who recently moved to the Valley from the East Coast, chose a job with a downtown Tempe company over other employment opportunities because he discovered access to the Bicycle Cellar would allow him to continue using only a bike as his means of transportation.

"I love that I can bike 6 miles from Scottsdale, get here, shower and walk to work," he said.

Nicosia said the Urban Marketplace would offer him conveniences that fit his lifestyle.

"I'd join the food co-op. To me, it's just healthier to have farm-fresh fruits and vegetables," he said. "The same with biking, I get my workout in riding to work."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...#ixzz0vNvfxuFB
Meanwhile Phoenix plants a couple of new trees at the main bus station and calls it a day. :brickwall:

Jsmscaleros Aug 2, 2010 7:04 PM

Anyone know what happened to Pier 101/Southbank? The project just rolled over and died once they built the infrastructure and dug out all the building footprints for construction. Even the time line on their website stops after "completion of linear park" in '09: http://southbanktempe.com

nickkoto Aug 10, 2010 8:53 AM

Here's a new picture from the ITSB site.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5756/itsb2.jpg

and crane
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1777/itsbcrane.jpg

I didn't notice the boom crane in the background before, but I would guess that it's for the rooftop solar panels on the Noble Library.

ciweiss Aug 26, 2010 2:49 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...t-bid0828.html

Centerpoint winning bid expected within the week

A winning bid will be selected on the Centerpoint Condominiums in downtown Tempe within the week, according Mark Winkleman, chief operating officer for ML Holdings.

ML Holdings, successor to Mortgages Ltd., began taking offers on the condos a couple of months ago after the two towers failed to sell at a foreclosure auction.

Winkleman told The Arizona Republic on Tuesdaythat ML Holdings was reviewing 10 bids, which were narrowed from more than 300 original offers.

"Within the next few days we expect to accept one of the offers," he said. "It's a big deal. We're excited."

The 10 interested buyers included "qualified real-estate investors from around the country," he said.

Development of the Tempe condos and several other major Valley real-estate projects funded by Mortgages Ltd., which was Arizona's largest private real-estate lender, stalled after the lender was forced into a high-profile 2008 bankruptcy. The Tempe condo's 22-story tower is nearly complete, while extensive work is needed on the project's 30-story tower. The towers have 375 residential units.

Proceeds from the Centerpoint sale will go to pay back the development's investors. CB Richard Ellis was marketing the condo project.

Seeing the project complete would be a major boost for downtown Tempe, which has struggled in the economic downturn.

Many downtown business owners had hung their hopes on the sales boost Tempe officials had said would come from having hundreds of residents living in luxury condos off of Mill Avenue. But those hopes died when the half-finished building turned into an eyesore.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...#ixzz0xg0LTUh8

ciweiss Sep 3, 2010 3:30 AM

Finally some good news....

Tempe Centerpoint condos purchased by Cleveland company

Downtown Tempe business owners are celebrating this afternoon's announcement that Centerpoint Condominiums has been purchased by the Zaremba Group, a national real estate company based in Cleveland with an office in Scottsdale.

The condos sold for $30 million. They were marketed for sale after failing to sell at a foreclosure auction in April. ML Managers LLC., successor to Mortgages Ltd., had originally loaned the condo's developers, Tempe Land CO., about $135 million to build the towers.

"This is the largest loan that Mortgages Ltd. made and it's our largest asset," said Mark Winkleman, chief operating officer of Managers LLC. "It's important to the investors of Mortgages Ltd. that it be sold."

He added that the sale was the result of "a very intense marketing process that lasted several months. We had initial interest from over 300 potential buyers throughout the United States, Canada and England. Even though the process is substantially less than the investors had invested in it, we are confident that this is the highest amount we could have got and best buyer for this project."

The sale is subject to approval from the bankruptcy court and a vote by investors. Zaremba owns Barolo Place, a condominium project in Scottsdale and apartments in Mesa and Peoria.

Seeing the project complete would be a major boost for downtown Tempe, which has struggled in the economic downturn.

Many downtown business owners had hung their hopes on the sales boost Tempe officials had said would come from having hundreds of residents living in luxury condos off of Mill Avenue. But those hopes died when the buildings remained empty and began looking tattered.Development of the Tempe condos and several other major Valley real-estate projects funded by Mortgages Ltd., which was Arizona's largest private real-estate lender, stalled after the lender was forced into a high-profile 2008 bankruptcy.

The Tempe condo's 22-story tower is nearly complete, while extensive work is needed on the project's 30-story tower. The towers have 375 residential units.

Proceeds from the Centerpoint sale will go to pay back the development's investors. CB Richard Ellis was marketing the condo project.

Centerpoint Condominiums timeline

July 2005: Tempe marked groundbreaking for developer Avenue Communities' first two of four proposed 22-story towers near Mill Avenue and Sixth Street. City officials said the luxury project signaled the transition to the kind of downtown Tempe had long envisioned. The four towers on the 5 acres were to include 700 residential units, retail, a boutique grocery store, a penthouse level with a pool, private theaters, concierge service and wine lounge. The units' pricing was expected to start at about $250,000. City officials said the influx of condo dwellers would move downtown Tempe toward the kind of "24-hour life" that would boost area businesses' customer base.

November 2005: Tempe City Council approves Avenue Communities' request for a height change that would make Centerpoint the tallest building in the city. The vote was 5-2 in favor of the height change. Members Ben Arredondo and Len Copple voted against the approval. Mayor Hugh Hallman favored the added height, saying the towers would fix the "fundamental flaw downtown" by integrating housing into the mix that is dominated by bars and restaurants. The developers said the extra floors were needed because the cost of construction had increased 80 percent in the preceding 18 months.

Ken Losch of Avenue Communities called the height-addition process "painful" but said it will be worth it in the end. "We see Tempe becoming a world-class environment," he said. "It'll be on par with Miami's South Beach in the next 10 years. The approval paved the way for three of the four condo towers to be built to 30 stories, which would soar 39 feet over Sun Devil Stadium, the highest man-made Tempe structure at the time. Prior to the council approval the towers were approved 22 stories and 15 stories.

February 2006: Attorneys for Phoenix question Centerpoint's height, saying it would affect safety of planes from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.

Oct. 2006: Federal Aviation Administration gives go-ahead for Centerpoint's 30-story tower.

June 2007: Centerpoint finishes roof on its first 22-story tower. The building was the tallest in Tempe at 258 feet. The other three towers have approval from the city to reach 30 stories.

June 2008: Mortgages Ltd., the state's largest private commercial real-estate lender, files for bankruptcy following the suicide of its CEO. Centerpoint, among the slew of high-profile Valley developments backed by the lender, is in jeopardy. In the months to come, stakeholders enter extensive legal negotiations.

December 2008: Developers for Centerpoint had worked to get court approval for a second financier to back project. That effort did not result in financing and developer filed bankruptcy. Second 30-story tower is about half finished.

February 2009: City officials and Ken Losch disagree over information Losch had provided Tempe on efforts to find financing for condos.

January: Towers in foreclosure with auction set for April.

April: Towers fail to sell at auction and M.L. Manager LLC, formerly Mortgages Ltd., readies to market towers for sale. Area merchants complain that towers are rundown, tarp covering windows is falling off and transients are entering towers for shelter.

September: M.L. Manager official announces buyer, making way for the condos to be completed.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...#ixzz0yQwt4O2l

HX_Guy Sep 3, 2010 3:32 AM

The article on Business Journal had a bit more info, including that they will be now for rent instead of for purchase and marketed to students and upper classmen.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...0/daily51.html

bwonger06 Sep 3, 2010 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 4969111)
The article on Business Journal had a bit more info, including that they will be now for rent instead of for purchase and marketed to students and upper classmen.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...0/daily51.html

This can turn very bad really quick. I hope this does not turn into another Vue or Block 1949, two other high-end luxury rental units. Nothing but constant partying, holes in the wall, noise complaints, etc.

I hope they keep a tight leash on this place and try to price out most under grads and hopefully it is more along the lines of Grigio.

nickkoto Sep 3, 2010 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwonger06 (Post 4969244)
This can turn very bad really quick. I hope this does not turn into another Vue or Block 1949, two other high-end luxury rental units. Nothing but constant partying, holes in the wall, noise complaints, etc.

I hope they keep a tight leash on this place and try to price out most under grads and hopefully it is more along the lines of Grigio.

Who's complaining about noise at the Vue? The Taco Bell next door?

Look at it this way. There are about 5-6 of these complexes (including Vue and Block 1949) that are shamelessly marketed towards the party crowd. Every student I know that lives in one of them enjoy living there, and those that seek a quite place to live simply never consider moving into these places in the first place.

If you think these housing complexes are creating some class of innocent students who are being denied an education, or if you think a hole in the drywall isn't a routine job for most apartment custodians, you're fooling yourself.

bwonger06 Sep 3, 2010 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickkoto (Post 4969293)
Who's complaining about noise at the Vue? The Taco Bell next door?

Look at it this way. There are about 5-6 of these complexes (including Vue and Block 1949) that are shamelessly marketed towards the party crowd. Every student I know that lives in one of them enjoy living there, and those that seek a quite place to live simply never consider moving into these places in the first place.

If you think these housing complexes are creating some class of innocent students who are being denied an education, or if you think a hole in the drywall isn't a routine job for most apartment custodians, you're fooling yourself.

Parties have gotten out of control. There is a reason that places vacancy has spiked over the school year and that is because upperclassmen and graduate students don't want to be around constant partying. I for one want Centerpoint to be successful but if it tries to become another Vue, it is going to crash and burn.

Hallways looks like a warzone. At hole in the wall every half a foot is out of control. Cops getting called nightly due to stupid people and noise complaints. Underaged drunks running around everywhere.

I know partying is going to happened and I'll be the first one there cheering you on while you pull a handle of vodka. But I have been to enough ASU parties (final year at ASU) to know that if Centerpoint markets too hard to be another Vue, Vista or Block (class A rental with very little control), there will be very few tenants and it will be a pretty big failure.

Do you think Yuppies and Adults want to live in this kind of environment? Heck most people over 21 don't want to live in this environment.