SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Buildings & Architecture (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=397)
-   -   SAN FRANCISCO | Salesforce Tower | 1,070 FT (326 M) | 61 floors (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199946)

Stellar_Mass Oct 9, 2016 7:15 AM

Snapshot

https://c6.staticflickr.com/6/5708/3...7848db0e_b.jpg

DSC_0484
by Jovan Nesbit, on Flickr

chris08876 Oct 9, 2016 12:57 PM

I kinda like the race between Salesforce and Fremont. Two stunning towers right next to each other, and we are honored in witnessing the era of their rise.

City Wide Oct 9, 2016 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7588508)
I kinda like the race between Salesforce and Fremont. Two stunning towers right next to each other, and we are honored in witnessing the era of their rise.

"Honored" wow; please Mr. rich and powerful, can you spread me a bread crust. I enjoy construction as much as the next guy, if fact I'm somewhat dependent on it for making my living. But I'll never worship at the feet of the 1% who build these monuments.

viewguysf Oct 9, 2016 6:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7588642)
"Honored" wow; please Mr. rich and powerful, can you spread me a bread crust. I enjoy construction as much as the next guy, if fact I'm somewhat dependent on it for making my living. But I'll never worship at the feet of the 1% who build these monuments.

Honored may not have been a good word choice, but we are lucky to be able to watch it, especially here in San Francisco.

fflint Oct 9, 2016 6:20 PM

There's nothing unseemly about appreciating the rare opportunity to watch the San Francisco skyline transition into its newest, biggest, tallest iteration ever. This is the most consequential period of skyline building in San Francisco in decades.

mousquet Oct 9, 2016 8:38 PM

Bah, it's only fair and well deserved after all. They've been very, very good at innovative business, making more money of Facebook alone than anyone can count over here.
Lol

It's about time the downtown area gets some rewards visible to the world.

chris08876 Oct 9, 2016 8:41 PM

I think some of you are overthinking what I said. Okay, how about we are lucky to be in a time to see our cities grow so tall, and bear witness to the addition of a already great skyline. SF, NYC, Seattle, Miami, and so on. Its the modern day roaring 20's for now. I just hope the development magic continues strongly for the next cycle. :fingerscrossed:

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7588642)

Nobody said anything about worship. Just know that without the 1%, these skyscrapers wouldn't exist. Your 99% can't afford the soft and hard costs to build these in the first place.

City Wide Oct 10, 2016 1:35 AM

Nobody said anything about worship. Just know that without the 1%, these skyscrapers wouldn't exist. Your 99% can't afford the soft and hard costs to build these in the first place.[/QUOTE]

I said "worship" because to me it seems that some on these pages have something like a religious connection to building tall, and its a fix that needs to be renewed every so often.

I disagree with your statement that w/o the 1% these buildings wouldn't get built. If the pie was split 70/30 instead of 99/1 (I realize its never a simple numbers game) why would that change the need for office space, downtown apartments and condos? I think it might actually increase the need, seeing that the 1% are thought to 'waste' a lot of money on meaningless toys.

If there is going to be a bar in Sales Force when its complete maybe we can get together and talk about all this, over our $25 bourbons.

Justbuildit Oct 10, 2016 3:01 AM

Good thing we are not in pre-9/11 time or Salesforce would be on the target list.

sterlippo1 Oct 10, 2016 3:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwilly (Post 7586082)
101 South coming down the grade from the Waldo Tunnel

now the Robin Williams Tunnel :)

viewguysf Oct 10, 2016 6:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justbuildit (Post 7588986)
Good thing we are not in pre-9/11 time or Salesforce would be on the target list.

Knock off your continuing 9/11 comments--photos of the Transamerica Pyramid were actually found in Afghanistan.

mt_climber13 Oct 10, 2016 6:31 AM

Yes very eerie knowing that SF was one of the original targets on 9/11 (the plane that crashed into the Pennsylvania field was initially headed to SFO) especially since Osama Bin Laden used to live in San Francisco/ Nob Hill.

SFSkyline Oct 10, 2016 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakamesalad (Post 7589097)
Yes very eerie knowing that SF was one of the original targets on 9/11 (the plane that crashed into the Pennsylvania field was initially headed to SFO) especially since Osama Bin Laden used to live in San Francisco/ Nob Hill.

I've never heard that the Pyramid was an intended 9/11 target. You think the terrorists thought they'd be able to fly all the way across the country after the planes hit the WTC? No way. However, there was a plot back in the 90s to hijack a lot of planes simultaneously, blow some up, and crash others. I believe the Pyramid was a possible target of that.

brantw Oct 10, 2016 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justbuildit (Post 7588986)

You have some really strange issues...

skySF Oct 10, 2016 6:02 PM

this morning - 10/10/2016

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8662/...cead2794_h.jpg

mt_climber13 Oct 10, 2016 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFSkyline (Post 7589283)
I've never heard that the Pyramid was an intended 9/11 target. You think the terrorists thought they'd be able to fly all the way across the country after the planes hit the WTC? No way. However, there was a plot back in the 90s to hijack a lot of planes simultaneously, blow some up, and crash others. I believe the Pyramid was a possible target of that.

No, I believe that plane was intended for the White House. But initially there were about 10 targets for 9/11- Sears Tower and the pyramid were included in that (I read this in TIME magazine or Newsweek or one of those after the attacks). Still very creepy being in SF on 9/11 knowing the plane was headed for SFO and they couldn't find it for a while.

tech12 Oct 10, 2016 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakamesalad (Post 7589393)
No, I believe that plane was intended for the White House.

Yeah, the reason they chose an SF-bound plane was because it was full of fuel for a 3,000 mile trip, and more fuel = more destruction when you crash it into something. They were never planning on crashing that specific plane into an SF target.

181Fremont Oct 10, 2016 7:54 PM

Let's get back on topic.

Justbuildit Oct 10, 2016 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brantw (Post 7589290)
You have some really strange issues...

Lol. Okay. Just checking. Only one way to find out. Now I know. :haha:

bluntcard Oct 11, 2016 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skySF (Post 7589348)

Fantastic image post! And on topic. :tup: