SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alberta & British Columbia (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   BC Highway Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187593)

Dengler Avenue Jul 13, 2018 2:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 8249608)
Why do Albertans care about out of province highways so much?

For one, they like vacationing in the Beautiful British Columbia.

For two, Crownest, TCH, and Yellowhead are in some sense life lines, so quite a bit of people outside of BC will care. (?)

craner Jul 13, 2018 6:55 AM

Quote:

Because it's embarrassing for the country, hurts Canada economically, and most of all, they are dangerous and costing lives.

Metro-One Jul 13, 2018 7:01 AM

All correct, hence why we really should have a real federal highway program.

craner Jul 13, 2018 7:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8249810)

I totally agree.
It blows me away that we don't.

Denscity Jul 13, 2018 1:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metro-One (Post 8249810)

Yup I’m in for that.

Dengler Avenue Jul 13, 2018 2:05 PM

I was actually talking about that with GlassCity the other night.

He just thought that to the Feds, that’s just some unnecessary extra expense so it’s quite unlikely that they will do it, sadly.

But, if people can somehow make that an election issue, that will be great. ;) Note that there’s only 1 year to do so though.

GlassCity Jul 14, 2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue (Post 8249935)
I was actually talking about that with GlassCity the other night.

He just thought that to the Feds, that’s just some unnecessary extra expense so it’s quite unlikely that they will do it, sadly.

But, if people can somehow make that an election issue, that will be great. ;) Note that there’s only 1 year to do so though.

Yeah, kind of. If the federal government has already downloaded that responsibility to lower governments, there's really no incentive for them to take it back. Easier for someone else to deal with things than do it yourself.

As far as an election, I just don't think the infrastructure nerd constituency is big enough for that to happen.

Doug Jul 14, 2018 4:49 AM

Quote:

Because BC is close and the Interior is great to explore. I miss few things about Canada. The lakes and mountains of the Interior are on that short list. I was a heliski guide for many years. Would drive the Rogers Pass in a Honda Civic with crappy tires every weekend for mid Dec to early April.

craner Jul 20, 2018 6:55 PM

I noticed today the website for Kicking Horse Canyon has FINALLY been updated!
Some info about Phase 4 - says they hope to be under construction by 2019!
:pepper::dancingeggplant:tomato::dancingtaco:dancing::awesome::cucumber::leek::apple::fruit::dancingbacon

Dengler Avenue Jul 20, 2018 9:36 PM

Since BC’s now mandated union wage for construction workers, cost overrun will be real. Now we are talking about 1.2 ~ 1.4 billion dollars for 4 km...

As much as I believe that workers must be paid fair, there’s gotta be a compromise between being treated well and being economical.

Update: What the heck. I’ve been wrong about the cost of phase 4 all along. It’s $450 M.

splashflash Jul 25, 2018 11:41 AM

Nanaimo parkway and Inland Island Highway interchanges

Quote:

Originally Posted by 240glt (Post 8096869)
Without any corroboration I find that figure a little spurious. While I was no fan of the NDP in the 90’s this piece is more of a hatchet job by an obviously biased writer

How about the Vancouver Board of Trade report?

https://www.cheknews.ca/bc-liberals-...-price-470935/

the.tru.albertan Jul 25, 2018 3:43 PM

Rode my motorbike from Red Deer to Salmon Arm and back this past week. Holy man, Hwy1 is in rough shape in some stretches between Golden and Sicamous. Spine-jarring for sure.

craner Jul 26, 2018 6:25 AM

^Yes it's 3rd world condition in places - some spots don't even have line markings - disgraceful.
:(:hell:

the.tru.albertan Jul 26, 2018 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craner (Post 8262339)
^Yes it's 3rd world condition in places - some spots don't even have line markings - disgraceful.
:(:hell:

Agreed. For the first time ever, I actually got speed wobbles on my cruiser while riding that stretch. I was doing the speed limit in the right hand portion of our lane and didn't see a massive pothole until it was too late. Nailed it and my bike went into full blown speed wobbles. My handlebars were swing so violently it actually messed up my wrist.

Super dangerous.

Doug Jul 27, 2018 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan (Post 8262595)
Agreed. For the first time ever, I actually got speed wobbles on my cruiser while riding that stretch. I was doing the speed limit in the right hand portion of our lane and didn't see a massive pothole until it was too late. Nailed it and my bike went into full blown speed wobbles. My handlebars were swing so violently it actually messed up my wrist.

Super dangerous.

I cycled Calgary to Vancouver in 2010. From that perspective you see all the flaws like guardrails falling apart due to eroded roadbeds and unusable shoulders. The BC TCH is in rough shape. A national highway program wouldn't help as all the money would get spent in QC and the Atlantic Provinces to shore up votes. The BC government needs to step forward. The Interior has huge untapped economic potential that would easily payback infrastructure investment. BC has largely ignore the Interior since the late 80's.

Dengler Avenue Jul 29, 2018 12:52 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...29#post8265529 #2995

What if town of Revelstoke considers the same thing for upgrading TCH in its area? :D

Dengler Avenue Aug 1, 2018 2:34 AM

Some Personal Thoughts

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...nion-friendly/

Funny enough, Highway 19 was mentioned.

If cost overrun were to happen regardless, the traffic lights on that highway would have more to do with systematically bad design than with higher wages (hence costs).

Like, what's with all the faulty design, i.e.
traffic lights on major highways on the island,
on-ramp from Capilano Road to Upper Level Highway with no merge lane,
3 lanes on LGB (What era do we live in again? The 60s?),
speed bump on SFPR,
lack of shoulder on Port Mann I heard,
light-controlled interchange between Coqui and Okanagan Connector,
traffic lights on Kamloops Bypass and on Golden Bypass,
undivided Cariboo Connector?
:???:

Ranting over. //

craner Aug 1, 2018 6:35 AM

^What an absolute joke (but it's not funny at all).
Reading the G&M article made my blood pressure rise. :hell:

misher Aug 1, 2018 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 8263322)
I cycled Calgary to Vancouver in 2010. From that perspective you see all the flaws like guardrails falling apart due to eroded roadbeds and unusable shoulders. The BC TCH is in rough shape. A national highway program wouldn't help as all the money would get spent in QC and the Atlantic Provinces to shore up votes. The BC government needs to step forward. The Interior has huge untapped economic potential that would easily payback infrastructure investment. BC has largely ignore the Interior since the late 80's.

Much agreed, we need to capitalize on all our assets and maximize the economy. However in the governments defense, I suspect a large chunk of why not has to do with the environment and First Nations restrictions.

che4ef Aug 2, 2018 12:54 AM

Hello all,
Very interesting article in Maple Ridge - Pit Meadows News with author Tom Fletcher.
Title:
"B.C. Highway 1 widening to Alberta demanded for decades"
www.mapleridgenews.com
As it was mentioned above NDP is going for unionized workers and will cost extra. Defending this decision they said that most of projects from previous government were over budget and temporary workers were used.
Number of projects underway including Kicking Horse 4th phase that is about to start.
Good news over all.

Regards