SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Development (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   PHILADELPHIA | Lowrise/General Developments Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=160247)

Groundhog Nov 14, 2017 8:35 PM

Disappointed by the parking in front of the Chocolate Factory, but looks like they minimized it as best they could. The fact that they have so much underground parking is a plus (since parking was going to be included). The little pocket park or restaurant seating is nice too.

Overall, I think this looks great, here's hoping they get moving on this soon and once this and Lincoln Square are complete, the space in between starts filling it quickly. This really could be the catalyst that turns Washington Ave into a more residential/retail corridor.

Parkway Nov 14, 2017 9:28 PM

I might be jumping the gun by a lot here but, should we be talking about a streetcar or light rail line on Washington Ave? It represents a great opportunity to add thousands of apartments by replacing vacant or underutilized lots with mid-rise developments. It is also a street that is a lane wider than it needs to be so it would be practical to have dedicated right-of-way.

hammersklavier Nov 14, 2017 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summersm343 (Post 7985498)

Oh I can live with that. Preserves the oldest part of the complex, knocks down that fugly bit along Kimball, converts that greebling along Washington into retail. Not too thrilled about the parking but I wouldn't want new construction there either ... hmm you know what would be cool? An open-air retail pad for like a beer garden or something.

PhilliesPhan Nov 15, 2017 5:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7986002)
Oh I can live with that. Preserves the oldest part of the complex, knocks down that fugly bit along Kimball, converts that greebling along Washington into retail. Not too thrilled about the parking but I wouldn't want new construction there either ... hmm you know what would be cool? An open-air retail pad for like a beer garden or something.

I couldn't agree more with the bolded statement. I would usually be the first one to complain about a surface parking lot fronting Washington Avenue, but I also wouldn't want anything new rising there. I'm just so happy that this beautiful structure will be given a new lease on life!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkway (Post 7985827)
I might be jumping the gun by a lot here but, should we be talking about a streetcar or light rail line on Washington Ave? It represents a great opportunity to add thousands of apartments by replacing vacant or underutilized lots with mid-rise developments. It is also a street that is a lane wider than it needs to be so it would be practical to have dedicated right-of-way.

We should absolutely be talking about a new trolley line! Imo, the best route would be between 49th and Woodland and the Delaware and Frankford Loop. This alignment would kill two birds with one stone: not only would it serve residents along the Washington Ave. corridor, but also those along the Delaware Riverfront and Fishtown.

Boku Nov 15, 2017 7:57 PM

40 triplex units planned for Kensington industrial site

Quote:

A South Philadelphia-based developer plans a complex of 40 residential units to replace a vacant one-story industrial building in an area of Kensington between the SEPTA Market-Frankford Line’s Huntingdon station and Frankford Avenue.

The project would consist of two rows of four-story triplex dwellings facing Emerald and Bradock Streets at Huntingdon Street, according to plans posted Wednesday to the website of the Philadelphia Civic Design Review board. The proposal also includes 10 parking spaces between the rows of triplexes.
https://i.imgur.com/jHNEezh.jpg

SEFTA Nov 15, 2017 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkway (Post 7985827)

It could continue north on Columbus and meet with Girard line

OslPhlWasChi Nov 15, 2017 8:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEFTA (Post 7987124)
It could continue north on Columbus and meet with Girard line

Here is a pipe dream - a full loop along Washington, Columbus, Girard, and 34th..

Urbanthusiat Nov 15, 2017 9:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OslPhlWasChi (Post 7987195)
Here is a pipe dream - a full loop along Washington, Columbus, Girard, and 34th..

38th street would be a lot better through University City. It's wider and connects to the bridge back to greys ferry. The trouble would be how it connects to horses, which 34th street does and 38th does not. Oh well it'll never happen anyway.

DIESELPOLO Nov 15, 2017 9:20 PM

Choco Fack

The Chocolate Factory looks like it'll be great! Seems like we're still doing 1:1-ish parking for the units, but overall, the adaptive re-use is going to make this Washington Avenue corridor something worth talking about.

eixample Nov 16, 2017 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundhog (Post 7985770)
Disappointed by the parking in front of the Chocolate Factory, but looks like they minimized it as best they could. The fact that they have so much underground parking is a plus (since parking was going to be included). The little pocket park or restaurant seating is nice too.

Overall, I think this looks great, here's hoping they get moving on this soon and once this and Lincoln Square are complete, the space in between starts filling it quickly. This really could be the catalyst that turns Washington Ave into a more residential/retail corridor.

The space is already "filled in" with building supply stores. Is that really something that needs to be replaced with residential?

shadowbat2 Nov 16, 2017 9:27 AM

Went by the former Midtown Diner at 11th and Samson and noticed that work is finally underway for remodeling.

A quick recap for those who don't know: The establishment, which had operated there since 1974, was closed in May of 2016 and put up for sale. In December the site was sold and the new owner wanted to open a "high end restaurant" on the site. Well I went by Saturday and noticed a small army of workers gutting the interior of the whole building. Also the graffiti on the roof was painted over....

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4551/...d762770f_c.jpg20171111_135406 by shad obat, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4541/...4248271f_c.jpg20171111_135014 by shad obat, on Flickr

hammersklavier Nov 16, 2017 10:45 AM

Sooo the trolley network is in 5'2" PA trolley gauge.

The track on Delaware Ave (don't plan on it being vacated anytime soon) is in standard 4'8.5" gauge.

This is the same gauge difference, by the way, as between the MFL and BSL. This fundamental incompatibility hinders the use of Delaware Avenue by trolley equipment that could be found elsewhere in the city.

jsbrook Nov 16, 2017 12:18 PM

Re Midtown II, I vaguely remember seeing something that the new owner also wanted to build an addition on top the new restaurant and put apartments there? But I can't find anything on this now. Anyone have any info or anything to link?

City Wide Nov 16, 2017 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eixample (Post 7987536)
The space is already "filled in" with building supply stores. Is that really something that needs to be replaced with residential?

In general I've got no problem with converting industrial use buildings into residential. But this stretch of Washington Ave. that is occupied by a large number of companies serving the building trades, serves a real need in the City. And I hope that the City through it's zoning powers works to keep the hands on, lets get dirty feel of the Ave.

Not every major street needs to be apartments and houses. We need businesses like these, and not just more big box stores. Full disclosure----I've been known to use a number of these businesses and I'd hate to see them pressured by increased taxes and raising property values to need to move or close.

Nova08 Nov 16, 2017 3:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersklavier (Post 7987790)
Sooo the trolley network is in 5'2" PA trolley gauge.

The track on Delaware Ave (don't plan on it being vacated anytime soon) is in standard 4'8.5" gauge.

This is the same gauge difference, by the way, as between the MFL and BSL. This fundamental incompatibility hinders the use of Delaware Avenue by trolley equipment that could be found elsewhere in the city.

Interesting, did not know that. I'm not sure how much Conrail or CSX use the Delaware Ave track north of Washington. There is only or two industries they serve north of Washington. And they are immediately north of Washington at about Christian.

But as someone said, this is all a pipe dream. If it doesn't include a bus, Septa takes 25+ years to start a new service.

McBane Nov 16, 2017 3:42 PM

I recognize the need but that's gentrification for you. If economics changes the dynamic and best use for Washington Ave, then so be it. The city's coffers will be better for it.

And those very businesses being uprooted can help revitalize another street. East Oregon Ave or the stretch where Pattison Ave meets Columbus are practically empty; these supply stores could also fit along Essington Ave.

The point is, if there is development pressure in one area; and fallow land in another area, isn't a win-win for the city to improve Washington Ave and develop vacant land in other neighborhoods?

Parkway Nov 16, 2017 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by City Wide (Post 7987836)
In general I've got no problem with converting industrial use buildings into residential. But this stretch of Washington Ave. that is occupied by a large number of companies serving the building trades, serves a real need in the City. And I hope that the City through it's zoning powers works to keep the hands on, lets get dirty feel of the Ave.

Not every major street needs to be apartments and houses. We need businesses like these, and not just more big box stores. Full disclosure----I've been known to use a number of these businesses and I'd hate to see them pressured by increased taxes and raising property values to need to move or close.

These businesses are inherently auto-centric so they don't have to be within walking distance of Center City. As it sits right now the supply yards create a 2 block dead zone between Carpenter and Ellsworth that is pretty hostile to pedestrians.

summersm343 Nov 16, 2017 4:17 PM

CDR Submissions

4125 Chestnut - Walnut Hill - 6 floors
Re-submission. 130 luxury apartments. Ground floor retail.
PDF:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...ompressed.pdf\

2200 W. Oxford - "Blumberg 83 - Sharswood
A total of 83 townhomes in a mix of 2 and 3-story buildings. Project includes a community center as well.
PDF:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...Submission.pdf

2301 Emerald - East Kensington
40 residential units split between two 4 floor buildings.
PDF:
http://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/pr...ed_reduced.pdf

Groundhog Nov 16, 2017 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parkway (Post 7987973)
These businesses are inherently auto-centric so they don't have to be within walking distance of Center City. As it sits right now the supply yards create a 2 block dead zone between Carpenter and Ellsworth that is pretty hostile to pedestrians.

Add in more residential and retail and put in some protected bike lanes (or something similar to the plans for Spring Garden) and you've got a completely different vibe that is pedestrian friendly and connects Grad Hospital to Point Breeze and possible spurs more retail down Point Breeze Ave.

Washington Ave is not nearly as big a barrier as the Vine Street Express Way or 95, but it's a significant one as it's currently laid out.

I love me some C&R and ReStore, but a more balanced mix with less raw construction supplies splitting into the sidewalk/street would do wonders for this stretch and the development of South Philly overall.

summersm343 Nov 16, 2017 9:07 PM

The Cliffs climbing gym to open in Philly, first location outside New York

Quote:

The Cliffs Climbing & Fitness plans to open a 39,000-square-foot climbing gym in a currently vacant warehouse property near 10th and Callowhill Streets north of Center City, its first location outside the New York City area.

The 340 N. 10th St. facility, scheduled to open in fall 2018, will be the Cliffs’ largest gym to date, according to a release Thursday from brokerage Metro Commercial Real Estate of Mount Laurel, which helped negotiate the lease.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171116.html