SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Basketball in Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219504)

elly63 Aug 27, 2020 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rousseau (Post 9023215)
99% of the Raps fans in BC won't even recognize those names and teams.

If that's the case that's f'n pathetic.

Denscity Aug 27, 2020 3:14 AM

That's what I'm saying Toronto teams are irrelevant in British Columbia.

theman23 Aug 27, 2020 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elly63 (Post 9023497)
If that's the case that's f'n pathetic.

Raptors fans are generally very young, and many would have been in diapers or not even conceived the last time the Grizzlies played a game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9023754)
That's what I'm saying Toronto teams are irrelevant in British Columbia.

Yes, we know. In the last decade, I think you’ve told us this about 500 times. Each reminder being completely unsolicited.

WhipperSnapper Aug 27, 2020 3:40 PM

The Raptors/Jays are the only teams based in Canada in the respective leagues. That hardly makes them Canada's team. It's understandable for the Raptors to be among the most popular team for NBA fans in Canada as they have the most coverage and broadcasts. There's no patriotism in being Canadian and a Raptor fans no matter how great the marketing pitch is.

I don't believe in cancelling the season will have a major effect itself. With that said, players are locked in a bubble away from their families affected by another aggressive police response and after everything that has happened since the Floyd murder. They can only participate in the prtoest so much from a bubble too. The latter is more than enough to walk away from the season.

esquire Aug 27, 2020 3:58 PM

^ The Raptors have soared in popularity around here lately but I'm sure that it has to do with their recent success. The basketball fans I know tend to have fairly loose loyalties, which is not surprising given that there's no home team to cheer for. I'd expect support for the Raptors to evaporate if they drop in the standings, in much the same way that no one is really into the Cavs anymore.

The Jays seem to have more long-term long-distance fans who stick with the team. They are the only team around here with a true "Canada's team" thing going on that I can pick up on. It was kind of waning a bit but that playoff run a few years ago rejuvenated it.

WhipperSnapper Aug 27, 2020 4:20 PM

True too. The Raptor have one of the best winning percentage over the past decade and are defending champions. There are also other teams with much better playoff records that have a closer relationship to Canadian regional markets than Toronto does. Coverage is a driving force. We The North has had tremendous influence as much as its a cheap ploy manipulating Canadian pride.

JHikka Sep 3, 2020 3:26 AM

With Jamal Murray being on fire in the first round, Lu Dort putting in career-high points tonight, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander playing well, there seems to be more Canadian content in this year's playoffs than usual.

Denscity Sep 3, 2020 3:33 PM

Steve Nash now the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

megadude Sep 3, 2020 6:04 PM

Dammit. Love Steve but obviously have to root against a division rival. I'm not liking this conflict of interest.

When Triano was interim of the Suns, at least that was some far flung team.

I don't picture Steve as the coaching type for some reason. Based on his personality I see him more as a behind the scenes guy like in his role at Basketball Canada. I wouldn't be excited about the hire if I were a Nets fan.

rousseau Sep 4, 2020 1:21 AM

Wow!

Bishop2047 Sep 4, 2020 4:00 AM

Well, that was great.

shappy Sep 4, 2020 1:06 PM

That reaction was so OG... just strolling off the court like he finished practice.

MonctonRad Sep 4, 2020 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper (Post 9024185)
True too. The Raptor have one of the best winning percentage over the past decade and are defending champions. There are also other teams with much better playoff records that have a closer relationship to Canadian regional markets than Toronto does. Coverage is a driving force. We The North has had tremendous influence as much as its a cheap ploy manipulating Canadian pride.

I would say that if there was one sports team that could make the claim to be "Canada's team", it would be the Raptors. They have no rival for affection amongst basketball fans in the country. They also go out of their way to build bridges with the rest of the country.

In hockey, with seven teams in the NHL, and with regional loyalties like for Bruins in Atlantic Canada, there is just too much fragmentation for one team to dominate.

In baseball, for one short period of time in the mid 1990s, the Blue Jays were briefly Canada's team, but that time has passed, and there are a lot of regional and tribal loyalties amongst Canadian baseball fans for teams across North America.

There is also no "Canada's team" in football (CFL or NFL).

isaidso Sep 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 9031926)

There is also no "Canada's team" in football (CFL or NFL).

One can make the argument that the Roughriders are Canada's football team. You can go to practically any region of the country and find Riders fans. I'm sure that won't sit well in Winnipeg though.

isaidso Sep 4, 2020 7:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shappy (Post 9031867)
That reaction was so OG... just strolling off the court like he finished practice.

A lot of British people are like that, including myself. Canadians mistake it for no emotion but Brits wear their emotions on the inside. It's about staying calm, maintaining ones composure, controlled response, etc. I do it instinctually. Despite having lived the majority of my life in Canada, I still find people over here to be extremely dramatic, noisy, and untamed. The first time I watched 'Family Feud' I couldn't believe it. Why were these families clapping or talking when the host wasn't addressing them? I still find it bizarre.

When OG shot that 3 my thoughts turned to 'watch that thing go in'. When it did I was dead silent. I was filled with emotion but you wouldn't know it.

WhipperSnapper Sep 5, 2020 5:21 AM

That may explain The Brits long history of rioting. Looks like they bottle their emotions but that cap can only hold the pressure so long.

suburbanite Sep 5, 2020 12:53 PM

Doesn't explain the away section at any PL game. Controlled and composed are not the first words I would use to describe it.

Football fans are the stereotypical hooligans across the pond though.

elly63 Sep 5, 2020 1:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso (Post 9032341)
One can make the argument that the Roughriders are Canada's football team. You can go to practically any region of the country and find Riders fans. I'm sure that won't sit well in Winnipeg though.

It is true though, I guess it depends on the definition of "Canada's team". The Leafs and Habs used to have big followings across the country, I'm not sure if it is the same now as it used to be. Maybe a definition would be the most popular team after the hometown team.

rousseau Sep 6, 2020 1:52 AM

Oh yeah, baby! The Raps looked like themselves tonight. Shaq predicted a Celtics blowout, but he was...wrong!

The Celtics look frustrated. I think the momentum has swung. Toronto has the mojo now.

elly63 Sep 6, 2020 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denscity (Post 9031019)
Steve Nash now the head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Funny no one has mentioned his hiring being due to "white privilege"