SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

tyleraf Sep 15, 2013 6:51 AM

Here is the refined design of 401 W Ash.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/9...830a42e98e.jpg

spoonman Sep 17, 2013 2:40 PM

^
While I wish this was taller for that area, it will fill in that area in nicely from the street perspective. Also, 23 floors is reasonably large for a hotel outside of the convention district.

mhays Sep 17, 2013 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6260406)

And if the aerospace companies dumped toxic waste way back in the 40's and 50's off of what is now Sea World Drive that is a long time ago, I'm sure it is ready to go for residential construction. If it was 70's and 80's different story.

Gotta correct this, speaking as a contractor. I have no idea what's down there (type of waste, soils, etc.), but any significant waste would almost certainly still be there.

spoonman Sep 18, 2013 3:08 AM

According to SDBJ, this project should begin construction Q1 of next year, and finish in 2016.

http://sdbj.com/news/2013/jul/08/fin...-hotel-growth/

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6267926)
Here is the refined design of 401 W Ash.
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2819/9...830a42e98e.jpg

tyleraf Sep 22, 2013 12:16 AM

Here is an interesting article about the possibility of a floating airport.http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...?#article-copy

spoonman Sep 22, 2013 5:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6275305)
Here is an interesting article about the possibility of a floating airport.http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...?#article-copy

I would love to see a real prototype with cost estimates, etc. It seems that nothing ever gets done here b/c not enough detail, etc gets presented to the public. There are so many naysayers in this city, and in order to get support for a project like this, the proponent must create a real proposal with estimated costs, and a clear outline of the vision, especially for those in this city that cannot see.

SDfan Sep 26, 2013 11:40 PM

Interesting.

Quote:

Options to lengthen McClellan-Palomar Airport runway could have international benefits
By THOR KAMBAN BIBERMAN, The Daily Transcript
Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Board of Supervisors received a report Wednesday that could one day lead to a nonstop flight from McClellan-Palomar Airport in Carlsbad to cities in China.

In September 2011, the county directed its staff -- in conjunction with Kimley Horn & Associates design and engineering firm -- to examine the possibility of lengthening the runway.

The issues with the airport are numerous. The single runway, at 4,897 feet long, is too short to accommodate transoceanic jets, and there is steep, 80-foot slope at its western end that can be a problem for aborted takeoffs and landings, depending on the wind direction.

Vince Hourigan, a consultant with Kimley Horn, presented options for lengthening the runway and discussed shoring up the ground underneath it. Much of the runway is constructed on multiple landfill sites.

One option that could have extended the runway by 1,200 feet was summarily rejected because of engineering difficulties, cost and other factors.

That leaves two major options. One is a modest proposal known as Alternative A, which would lengthen the runway by just 200 feet. Richard Sax, who has worked as a fixed-base operator and pilot at Palomar for the past 30 years, said it would be enough to exceed the psychological threshold of 5,000 feet.

"Pilots screen airports and if they don't have 5,000 feet, a lot of them don't land," Sax said. "The Global Express (business jet) can't reach its maximum range at Palomar."

The 200-foot option has the advantage of being the least expensive. It could be constructed for about $22.5 million, according to the Kimley Horn study. This plan has its drawbacks, however -- mainly that it would not make a major difference to the operational range of the aircraft that would use the airport.

However, if the runway could be extended by 900 feet (Alternative B), that paves the way for aircraft that could fly to Asia.

"Alternative B should enable an aircraft to fly the 5,100 nautical miles to China," Hourigan said.

Within the Alternative B proposal are two options for taxiways. A standard proposal just builds a new taxiway along the northern part of the airport. A more expensive option would include taxiways on the northern and the southern part of the airport.

Alternative B with one taxiway is projected to cost $50 million. That figure climbs to $70 million with both taxiways. Safety improvements increase this cost to about $95.5 million. If such a plan is financed over a decade or more, the cost could easily double.

The good news for Carlsbad is Palomar Airport is already an economic engine. The businesses at the airport and those they foster generate $321.4 million in annual revenue, 2,215 jobs and $81.3 annual income to workers, according to the Kimley Horn study.

With a 900-foot runway extension, Kimley Horn projects upon completion that about $163.2 million in additional revenue could be generated over a 20-year period.

San Marcos Mayor Jim Desmond, a former Delta Air Lines captain, said that while he is intrigued by the possibilities, he has concerns about people living in an 1,100-space mobile home park within about two miles of the airport.

"The devil's in the details on this. You have to remember that the people were there first. You have to think about the surrounding areas," Desmond said.

Sax said that lengthening the runway means the aircraft will be higher and, therefore, less noisy than they are today.

"And the new aircraft are much quieter," Sax said.

Carlsbad Mayor Matt Hall said he likes the plan and that along with the economic benefits, "it represents a chance to enhance safety at the airport."

Hourigan noted that other things must happen before any major plan could be realized. First is shoring up the former landfill beneath the runway.

The Kimley Horn document says a series of drilled concrete displacement columns could be put in to stabilize the eastern-end extension of the runway. The plan is to reduce the amount of settling by reconsolidating the landfill. A gravel-filled methane collection system also would be reconstructed. These improvements are projected to cost about $72 per square foot.

Given that no pilot wants to wreck an airplane after overshooting the runway, the Kimley Horn report proposes what has been referred to as an “engineered material arresting system.” Typically, these are rough surfaces made of broken-up concrete designed to stop an aircraft with minimal damage. Hourigan noted that such a system has been employed in Key West, Fla., for a number of years.

SDfan Sep 26, 2013 11:45 PM

Good news?

Quote:

Mission Valley needs major makeover
Planning director considers stadium site "tremendous" opportunity for development, environmental cleanup
By Roger Showley3:03 p.m.Sept. 26, 2013

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...update-fulton/

Mission Valley, considered one of San Diego's biggest planning mistakes, may have a new champion in Bill Fulton, the city's new planning director.
photo Planning Director Bill Fulton — John Gastaldo

He told the Citizens Coordinate for Century 3 breakfast forum Thursday that the valley is one place in the city that needs a major write-through of its community plan, and he's going to ask for money in next year's budget to start the effort.

"It will cost millions of dollars -- it will take years," Fulton said.

But the reason it's worth it, he said, is because the valley has "tremendous opportunities" to add development while improving the traffic and quality of life for residents, workers and visitors.

One obvious opportunity is Qualcomm Stadium.

"Whether or not the Chargers stay at a renovated or rebuilt Qualcomm or go somewhere else, that site has tremendous opportunity, even with football," he said. "Right now it's 300 acres of parking lot, which has got to be the greatest (water) runoff disaster on the West Coast."

He said the necessary environmental improvements to handle storm water runoff can be linked to new construction around trolley stops and then "do some work to try to untangle the spaghetti wire" of traffic.

An ideal solution would be to have dozens of property owners "scrap" their buildings and start over again, but Fulton said by focusing on certain sites along the river and trolley line "we can make a significant dent."

Fulton diverted to addressing the Mission Valley mess -- decades of uncoordinated commercial, residential and retail growth -- as he outlined his broader approach to fixing San Diego's neighborhood problems.

Former Mayor Bob Filner brought Fulton, a nationally recognized urban planner and author, to San Diego as his only departmental appointee before he resigned last month, and tasked him with reviving a standalone planning department that Filner's predecessor, Jerry Sanders, disbanded in a budget move in 2011.

Unlike other department heads, Fulton remained in place as Filner's administration collapsed in the wake of a sexual harassment scandal and has been working closely with Interim Mayor and Council President Todd Gloria. He said a formal rollout of the new planning department is likely next month.

Outside Mission Valley, Fulton said he intends to focus neighborhood planning efforts on targeted, mostly commercial zones, rather than a wholesale revamping of community plans, many of which are decades out of date. The emphasis shouldn't be on counting dwelling units or floor-area ratios but building design and allowable uses, he said. And yet, San Diego is the only major city without an urban design expert on staff.

As for financing needed public improvements, he said developers can't foot the entire bill, either legally or financially, for making up for past oversights.

"San Diego has a reputation for being a city not really willing to pay for all the things it needs -- a reputation of a big city on the cheap," said the former mayor of Ventura. "You can't operate a big city on the cheap in the long run, so I think this is fundamentally a political question ... where the politicians have to sell it to the voters."

tyleraf Sep 27, 2013 2:11 AM

I can't wait to see Bill Fulton help out Mission Valley. I sure hope that whoever is elected mayor will keep Bill Fulton as our Planning Director.

mello Sep 27, 2013 8:10 AM

I'm all for maximizing the use of Palomar Airport, why couldn't we one day have a similar setup to the Miami Metro with the main airport and Fort Lauderdale to the North. Think of all the people in Temecula who would much rather use Palomar then go all the way to Lindbergh or Ontario. What jet are they talking about that would fly to Asia on that short of a runway though?

And Bill Fulton is the man I'm sure the next mayor will keep him on board. Can't wait to see improvements in Mission Valley lets get some high rise residential going :cheers:

Derek Sep 27, 2013 8:14 AM

I highly doubt that Carlsbad will ever get an international flight, except for maybe Mexico in the distant future. That article is just wishful thinking.

Besides, Ontario is only 10 more miles from Temecula than Oceanside, with far more options for nationwide travel.

202_Cyclist Sep 27, 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mello (Post 6281425)
I'm all for maximizing the use of Palomar Airport, why couldn't we one day have a similar setup to the Miami Metro with the main airport and Fort Lauderdale to the North. Think of all the people in Temecula who would much rather use Palomar then go all the way to Lindbergh or Ontario. What jet are they talking about that would fly to Asia on that short of a runway though?

California Pacific Airlines has been trying to get the necessary certifications and approvals for the past three years to begin commercial passenger service out of Palomar using Embraer 190s. This is actually a fairly decent business model. Palomar airport is about a 45 minute drive from hundreds of thousands of residents in southern Orange Co. and southwestern Riverside Co. as well.

The article I read earlier this week about lengthening the runway at Palomar said suggested some business jets might use this for Asia/Europe flights. I would think that a Gulfsteam G650 would still need a much longer runway for nonstop flights to Asia.

spoonman Sep 27, 2013 8:54 PM

I'm pretty sure Qualcomm and others already fly to Asia direct out of Carlsbad. 1,000 feet extra would probably only help with additional load and weather factors.

spoonman Oct 1, 2013 2:18 AM

Has anyone seen progress on 15th & Island? Are the towers beginning to rise above street level? Would be great if anyone had pics they could share.

tyleraf Oct 1, 2013 3:24 AM

Spoonman: I drove by 15th & Island yesterday. The steel for the yellow tower was probably about 2 stories tall. Sorry, I meant to take pics, but totally forgot. I'll see if I can get down there soon for some pics.

tyleraf Oct 2, 2013 12:57 AM

If you guys want, I could create a new thread for us since we are experiencing a new boom. It would give us a fresh start and I am willing to keep the front page up to date.

spoonman Oct 2, 2013 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyleraf (Post 6286678)
If you guys want, I could create a new thread for us since we are experiencing a new boom. It would give us a fresh start and I am willing to keep the front page up to date.

It would be nice to highlight some new (or under construction) projects in order to spark some conversation. :tup:

tyleraf Oct 2, 2013 3:39 AM

Ok I'll do it.

SDfan Oct 2, 2013 4:27 AM

I don't know, there is a lot of history here... I'm not sure if I'm ready to move on. haha.

SDfan Oct 2, 2013 4:29 AM

Why don't we just have Derek post the list Tyleraf makes? He was the one who first made this thread, and his is the first post, plus he's still active (unlike sd_urban). I'd rather have a continuous thread than a broken one.