SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   China (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Question for Shanghai forumers (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131088)

The Chemist May 10, 2007 9:39 PM

Question for Shanghai forumers

I'm going to be moving to Shanghai in August to teach, and I'm trying to find out a bit more about the school that I'll be teaching at. I've been accepted to teach at JinCai High School, which I know is in Pudong, but nothing more specific than that. My question is this - do any of you know whereabouts in Pudong this school is, and is it close to Metro Line 2? I've tried looking at the school's web page, but unfortunately my Chinese reading skills are still very limited, so I wasn't able to get anything out of it.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

vertex May 10, 2007 10:49 PM

You'll probably get a better response if you post the question to the mainland China forum at SSC instead.

ibz May 14, 2007 6:42 AM

Its on Middle (Central) Yang Gao Rd. Its a fairly major road that runs close to the Science Museum (metro station) and somewhat close to Century Park. My knowledge of that part of Pudong is pretty fuzzy, but based on the address of the school, id think its at least a 15-20 min walk to the metro station. Everything in Pudong is pretty far apart.

Have you decided where you will live yet?

I wouldnt highly recommend living out in Pudong, even if you work there. Unless you have a family and are living in a villa, nothing happens out in Pudong. Id very much recommend you get a place in Puxi along the Line 2 Metro. Zhongsan Park offers quite a few affordable options in a very good location and you will find quite a few other english teachers/students in the area. Same goes for Jiangsu. If you have a bit more money, want to be a bit closer to pudong and are more into living in an expat setting, The areas around Jing An and Nanjing Xi stations are nice too.

The Chemist May 14, 2007 4:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanE (Post 2833586)
Its on Middle (Central) Yang Gao Rd. Its a fairly major road that runs close to the Science Museum (metro station) and somewhat close to Century Park. My knowledge of that part of Pudong is pretty fuzzy, but based on the address of the school, id think its at least a 15-20 min walk to the metro station. Everything in Pudong is pretty far apart.

Have you decided where you will live yet?

I wouldnt highly recommend living out in Pudong, even if you work there. Unless you have a family and are living in a villa, nothing happens out in Pudong. Id very much recommend you get a place in Puxi along the Line 2 Metro. Zhongsan Park offers quite a few affordable options in a very good location and you will find quite a few other english teachers/students in the area. Same goes for Jiangsu. If you have a bit more money, want to be a bit closer to pudong and are more into living in an expat setting, The areas around Jing An and Nanjing Xi stations are nice too.

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind a 15 minute walk to the Metro - when I was staying with my friend in Shanghai on vacation she lived about the same distance from a metro station, so it's no big deal to me.

The school provides an on-campus apartment, so I'll be living right at the school. I know Pudong isn't exactly lively, but it's only 2 or 3 stops up on Metro Line 2 to get into Puxi, so that doesn't bother me too much.

giallo May 17, 2007 5:59 AM

Congrats on the move. You won't regret it.
I've been a teacher out here for a while now and I want to give you some advice. Take all of this with a slight grain of salt. I don't mean to scare you, I just want to help you avoid some of the pitfalls that seem to happen time and time again to recently arrived foreign teachers.
First, this school you are working at, have you come to an agreement on salary? What are they paying you? Sorry if it sounds a little personal, but don't think for a second they won't try and pay you less than you deserve. Second thing, I really would advise against living in their supplied apartment. I've heard so many horror stories about people having problems with their school and then getting kicked out of their apartment with nowhere to go. Often times the apartments themselves are terribly kept.
If you do choose to live on your own, I would recommend living in Puxi. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but having to commute to Puxi when you want to do anything fun takes its toll on you. Time and money wasted. Pudong isn't terrible, it's just so......dull. We Puxiers like to call it Pu Jersey.

Hopefully, this information will help you enjoy a more comfortable transition in to what is one of the most exciting cities on the planet.

The Chemist Jun 23, 2007 4:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giallo (Post 2840413)
Congrats on the move. You won't regret it.
I've been a teacher out here for a while now and I want to give you some advice. Take all of this with a slight grain of salt. I don't mean to scare you, I just want to help you avoid some of the pitfalls that seem to happen time and time again to recently arrived foreign teachers.
First, this school you are working at, have you come to an agreement on salary? What are they paying you? Sorry if it sounds a little personal, but don't think for a second they won't try and pay you less than you deserve. Second thing, I really would advise against living in their supplied apartment. I've heard so many horror stories about people having problems with their school and then getting kicked out of their apartment with nowhere to go. Often times the apartments themselves are terribly kept.
If you do choose to live on your own, I would recommend living in Puxi. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but having to commute to Puxi when you want to do anything fun takes its toll on you. Time and money wasted. Pudong isn't terrible, it's just so......dull. We Puxiers like to call it Pu Jersey.

Hopefully, this information will help you enjoy a more comfortable transition in to what is one of the most exciting cities on the planet.

Thanks, giallo. I'm actually coming via a teaching program that's run by a US university (Marshall), so they look after a lot of the grunt work and make sure the teachers get treated fairly. I'm being paid RMB7200 per month to teach chemistry and english, plus free lunch on work days. I have to teach 23 40 minute classes a week, and the contract stipulates RMB100 for each additional class that I choose to teach above this level. So I think it's a pretty fair contract. I'm going to see what the school-provided apartment is like, and if I don't like it maybe I'll go and try and find another. I'm not too worried about living in Pudong - at least the school is relatively close to the Metro, unlike some of the other teachers who are at Shanghai High School, which isn't particularly close to the metro at all.

I'm really looking forward to going - I'm going to be there in just over 2 months (arriving 26 August) and I am SO excited. It's going to be a great year (or more) :)

ibz Jun 26, 2007 3:26 AM

7200RMB will buy you a lot of beers at Windows Too!

Enjoy Shanghai, it is truly one of the most exciting places on earth right now, the life style, the energy - its intoxicating. I somewhat regret coming back to Canada when I did.

jacks Jul 16, 2007 5:05 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, bu I believe there's a new subway line being built under Yang gao rd. Don't know if it is finished yet - I left Sh a couple of years ago - but a lot of work had been done even then. If you're going to live in Pudong I would try and get near the river where it's actually easier to get to large parts of puxi by cab than if you lived over there due to the tunnels and connecting main roads. You get the benefit of uncrowded streets and can wander around all the tall buildings in Lujiazui. Plenty of shops/restaurants everywhere in Shanghai, even the quietest bits.
Have fun! I'm thinking of heading back myself. It's one of the world's most exciting spots...

ReNik Aug 20, 2007 10:50 AM

Pudong
http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/2...74ce4cbgo9.jpg

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/6...2f7452boy9.jpg
buergerbeck flickr gallery