SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   SAN DIEGO | Boom Rundown, Vol. 2 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126473)

kpexpress Aug 1, 2011 2:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HurricaneHugo (Post 5364892)
It's a city's downtown not a village.

East Village is just a name!

There are definite areas within downtown - each with their own focus, energy, livability and character. The Downtown Community Plan prescribes varying FAR for areas depending on various information (park solar access overlay, existing conditions, designated housing, commercial, etc.) Surely the entire downtown cannot be built out to 500' above finished grade, imagine the transition to Golden hill, Barrio and Bankers Hill. The East Village does have it's areas where density is needed and desired. And the issue isn't even density - all density is good and the more the better. I'm talking more about the mass and scale of the buildings and how they fit into the neighborhood equation. Fact: M2i has more density than Strata. They are completely different and affects the neighborhood differently. I think we need to start asking ourselves what is the East Village? Is it an overflow for Gaslamp activity and Convention Center? Is it the center for condensed social services? Is it an area for universities and education? Is it the blank canvas for large-scale entertainment development (ir nascar, football, etc). Should the entire East Village be blanketed with dubai-style skyscrapers where none are unique and stand out? I like the prospects of an expansive village of mid-rise and high density buildings with a few key signature heights like down Market Street and along the Bay.

S.DviaPhilly Aug 1, 2011 6:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpexpress (Post 5365182)
Fact: M2i has more density than Strata. They are completely different and affects the neighborhood differently. I think we need to start asking ourselves what is the East Village? Is it an overflow for Gaslamp activity and Convention Center? Is it the center for condensed social services? Is it an area for universities and education? Is it the blank canvas for large-scale entertainment development (ir nascar, football, etc). Should the entire East Village be blanketed with dubai-style skyscrapers where none are unique and stand out? I like the prospects of an expansive village of mid-rise and high density buildings with a few key signature heights like down Market Street and along the Bay.

It's true that M2i may be more dense than Strata, but M2i (market 2 island) takes up a whole city block, where Strata is just a part of a city block. You have the Meade Durket (sp?) office building, Hotel Indigo, the smaller older building next to the hotel, and a couple parking lots that could be developed in the future. I feel that when you have a city setting, building high is the way to go, there is only so much land downtown to build. I am not saying build everything the same or exactly 500', but midrises in EV should be a thing of the past. Thinking into the future, midrises should stay in Bankers Hill, Hillcrest, North Park, Golden Hill, Barrio, etc. I can see shorter buildings lining the new football stadium downtown where hopefully the pedestrian paths will be.

I have a friend that works at The Hard Rock cafe and he told me that his boss said conventioneers are going more east towards EV instead of north on 4th/5th because of all the new bars/restaurants there. J st. to me will be the new happening place in downtown.

Also,I think comparing San Diego's East Village to Dubai is a little dramatic since we have a height variance of 500' and the towers in Dubai are hitting upwards of 1500'/2000'.

S.DviaPhilly Aug 1, 2011 6:43 PM

Target

ALSO, HOW CAN WE START AN EMAIL CAMPAIGN TO GET A TARGET IN THE OLD BORDERS BUILDING AND A TRADER JOES IN THE BRICK BUILDING ACROSS FORM PETCO (WHERE FRESH AND EASY WAS GOING TO GO)

I think it will be big enough, since the commercial spaces next to the Borders Building are also vacant. There is plenty of parking too with Horton and Park it on Market and there is a loading dock. We need a Target downtown, I am tired of going to Mission valley.

The Trader Joes would kill it on J st. and there is a parking lot across the street that they can set up a one hour deal or something there. Baseball fans could run in right b4 the game and get food too. Have the garage doors open, so the place is open and airy, would be soooo cool! Lets make downtown for residences too, not just tourists!

mongoXZ Aug 2, 2011 4:49 AM

:previous:The Borders building is too small for a Target, no?

Here's a pretty shot from the U-T. Can't wait for Lane Field and Navy Broadway complexes to fill up the gaps:tup:
http://media.signonsandiego.com/img/...c82dae770b93ac
signonsandiego.com

Lipani Aug 2, 2011 5:31 AM

Yeah, that building is way too small for a Target. Thankfully we already have enough CVS and 711 stores downtown. :haha:

Derek Aug 2, 2011 6:37 AM

I could see like a "mini" Target. That would be a good idea actually. A smaller "urban" Target....

I'm a genius. :jester:

S.DviaPhilly Aug 2, 2011 5:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoXZ (Post 5366170)
:previous:The Borders building is too small for a Target, no?

True, I agree that the Borders building is too small for a Target, but all the retail on that block up until Sidebar on Market St. is available. If a target took up all the available space and the Borders building, I think that could be a decent size! That block sleeps a lot of people and has graffiti all over the brick and windows of the old Vantage Point sales office. A Target would make that block shine!

Lipani Aug 3, 2011 7:51 AM

Quote:

Mayor gets convention center control
But redevelopment referendum drive may figure into future plans
Written by Roger Showley

The City Council handed over management Tuesday to Mayor Jerry Sanders of the $550 million San Diego Convention Center expansion.

But its future, a new downtown stadium and other redevelopment efforts may be in question with word that a statewide redevelopment referendum effort has been authorized.

The convention center project until now has been overseen by the San Diego Convention Center Corp., a city-appointed body that runs the 22-year-old facility downtown. Officials hope to finance it with fees charged on local hotels and to complete the project in 2015.

The Chargers have talked about combining the stadium with the convention expansion project into a sports and entertainment district and using redevelopment funds to help in the financing, projected at $800 million plus site development.
Rest of article from the Union-Tribune

tyleraf Aug 4, 2011 1:47 PM

Public workshops for Lane Field and NEVP coming up. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...-new-park-wat/

HurricaneHugo Aug 5, 2011 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lipani (Post 5367392)
Rest of article from the Union-Tribune

I'm guessing this is good news?

SDfan Aug 9, 2011 3:53 AM

I hope NEVP and Lane Field pick up some speed...

LosAngelesDreamin Aug 9, 2011 4:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongoxz (Post 5361274)
:cheers::d

i love it!! =d

NOPA Aug 10, 2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 5366223)
I could see like a "mini" Target. That would be a good idea actually. A smaller "urban" Target....

I'm a genius. :jester:

We already thought that one up in SF ;-)

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-11-1...y-target-china

The SF Target will be 85,000 square feet, down from Target's typical 175,000. Considering that the 6th street Borders site is only 33,000 it seems like a stretch.

LosAngelesDreamin Aug 10, 2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOPA (Post 5375468)
We already thought that one up in SF ;-)

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-11-1...y-target-china

The SF Target will be 85,000 square feet, down from Target's typical 175,000. Considering that the 6th street Borders site is only 33,000 it seems like a stretch.

Los Angeles is doing the same ;) Pretty neat

http://blogdowntown.com/2011/04/6207...part-of-revamp

It's in Downtown LA, the place already exists... all they're doing is renovating the place.. and it's including one of Target's first smaller CityTarget stores.

Derek Aug 11, 2011 3:11 AM

How about a two story Petco? :jester:

Quixote Aug 11, 2011 11:35 PM

Chargers to LA = elephant in the room

I really don't want it to happen, but it's looking more and more likely with each passing day.

SDfan Aug 12, 2011 3:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westsidelife (Post 5376602)

I really don't want it to happen, but it's looking more and more likely with each passing day.

Please take them. We can't afford them. They're asking for a La Jolla lifestyle from a City Heights boy.

mello Aug 12, 2011 4:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westsidelife (Post 5376602)

Come on guys like the City of LA has any money either. AEG is making it look like they can do everything privately but I really think public money will be needed there as well. These things always cost more then projected. The economy is going in to a complete tail spin right now too.

Plus explain to me how AEG can pay for the 500 million dollar franchise fee from the NFL and make a profit on the Chargers being a tenant if they are not at least 50% owners of the team... They can't, and the Spanos family has said time and again they are not willing to sell any significant portion of the team. So this is not going to pencil out for Anschulz and his group with the Chargers.

Before this is all said and done they will shell out at least 1.5 billion dollars so they will want to "own a team" and the Chargers aren't going to give them that option. Where are you getting your info from WestSide? TJ Simers? That guy is a joke, I don't know why he has such a hard on for having the Chargers come to LA. The obvious choice should be the Rams or Jaguars. :cool:

ChargerFan Aug 12, 2011 5:40 PM

Chargers to LA

Fat chance. Los Angeles has repeatedly failed to acquire the Chargers or any other team in the NFL. You may get a team some day but it sure as hell wont be our Chargers.

eburress Aug 12, 2011 6:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDfan (Post 5376801)
Please take them. We can't afford them. They're asking for a La Jolla lifestyle from a City Heights boy.

The notion that SD can't afford an NFL team would be depressing.