SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Canadian Airport Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153826)

wave46 Jun 17, 2020 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8954188)
I disagree. WS have a big enough hub at YYZ to support connections to the smaller Ontario cities. WS have pulled out of YSB twice due to the wrong aircraft type, first on their old 732s then with DH4s. A 33-50 seater is the perfect size for that market for an airline like WS. Porter has a lot of brand loyalty in Northern Ontario thanks to the Deluces. Ditto a place like YYB where Porter left as the DH4 was too big. Same goes for Sarnia where if they entered, they'd have the place to themselves. It would also allow them to serve Windsor year-round instead of just seasonal to YYC.

Perhaps.

AC has a very strong position in YSB and YYB though, simply because of their network beyond it. They've basically a monopoly on corporate traffic and yet they still fly only DH3/4s.

That makes me think the market is basically saturated for both - Porter picks up some of the regional flyers and AC gets everybody else going around the world in YSB.

If AC couldn't make it work with 100% monopoly in Sarnia, I doubt WS will either.

If WS was a global airline, maybe fighting over the crumbs might be worthwhile. It isn't, so the crumbs aren't so tasty.

hollywoodcory Jun 18, 2020 3:27 AM

WestJet has pushed YYZ-Transborder/Mexico flights into July. LGA/LAS now resume July 5 and CUN/MCO resumes July 11.

YYC-LAX/ATL/LAS & YVR-LAX are still scheduled to resume from June 26.

YYCguys Jun 18, 2020 3:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominion301 (Post 8954188)
It would also allow them to serve Windsor year-round instead of just seasonal to YYC.

I’ve always been curious why Windsor is only seasonal. What is it about summer that attracts more travellers between YYC and there, and not in the winter?

thenoflyzone Jun 18, 2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8955121)
I’ve always been curious why Windsor is only seasonal. What is it about summer that attracts more travellers between YYC and there, and not in the winter?

Most of the traffic on the route originates in Windsor, and the bulk of the demand to visit western Canada is in summer.

Considering a Q400 can’t operate YQG-YYC, And WS doesn’t want to send a half empty B737 to YQG in winter, the route is seasonal.

wave46 Jun 18, 2020 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYCguys (Post 8955121)
I’ve always been curious why Windsor is only seasonal. What is it about summer that attracts more travellers between YYC and there, and not in the winter?

The Canadian domestic travel market is highly seasonal due to our climate.

Traveling within the country during the winter is mostly a variation in the degree of unpleasantness.

whatnext Jun 18, 2020 6:33 PM

Reposted from the Vancouver forum, as Air Tahiti Nui is a pretty rare visitor anywhere, let alone Canada. Their CDG-PPT flight is temporarily rerouted for a fuel stop from LAX to YVR. Sadly they aren't taking on pax here. Tahiti reopens July 15 to tourists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie (Post 8951891)
Air Tahiti Nui arrivals...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxld8J1Cjg

Around 2:02 mark then again around 7:10


wave46 Jun 18, 2020 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8955690)
Reposted from the Vancouver forum, as Air Tahiti Nui is a pretty rare visitor anywhere, let alone Canada. Their CDG-PPT flight is temporarily rerouted for a fuel stop from LAX to YVR. Sadly they aren't taking on pax here. Tahiti reopens July 15 to tourists.

I think Air Tahiti Nui just recently did the world's longest 'domestic' flight nonstop, as it is a French possession.

I'm curious why they've had to reroute via YVR instead of LAX. Was it because of US regulations changing? I thought one of the freedoms of the air was to have a technical stop in a third country without issue.

Airboy Jun 18, 2020 9:35 PM

YVR Terminal AB yesterday.

All of these aircraft have engine covers on and are part until more flights are in the air.

There were 4 international flights leaving when I was there. London, Manila and Milan, I forgot what the 4 was but was probably a Chinese flight since there were a couple park.


[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1c44094c_b.jpg2020-06-18_09-18-15 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...64c0ff0d_b.jpg2020-06-18_09-18-32 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

thenoflyzone Jun 19, 2020 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 8955746)

I'm curious why they've had to reroute via YVR instead of LAX. Was it because of US regulations changing? I thought one of the freedoms of the air was to have a technical stop in a third country without issue.

I think it has to do with the fact that Tahiti is COVID free, and they want to keep it that way. The US is one of the hardest hit countries, so they want to avoid LAX for a while longer.

casper Jun 19, 2020 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thenoflyzone (Post 8956142)
I think it has to do with the fact that Tahiti is COVID free, and they want to keep it that way. The US is one of the hardest hit countries, so they want to avoid LAX for a while longer.

I wonder if there are some quarantine rules that they get around by doing it this way.

ninjakafi_81 Jun 20, 2020 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8955690)
Reposted from the Vancouver forum, as Air Tahiti Nui is a pretty rare visitor anywhere, let alone Canada. Their CDG-PPT flight is temporarily rerouted for a fuel stop from LAX to YVR. Sadly they aren't taking on pax here. Tahiti reopens July 15 to tourists.

On the topic of Air Tahiti Nui

Quote:

Air Tahiti Nui this week further revised planned operation for flights to Paris, for the month of July 2020. From 01JUL20 to 31JUL20 (Papeete departure), the airline will operate Papeete – Vancouver – Paris CDG routing, up to 5 times weekly. The airline previously filed 1-stop service via Vancouver until 13JUL20, however this has been extended to 31JUL20.

TN068 PPT2350 – 1215+1YVR1415+1 – 0845+2CDG 789 x17
TN067 CDG1205 – 1305YVR1505 – 2150PPT 789 x23
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-18jun20/

whatnext Jun 20, 2020 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 8955869)
YVR Terminal AB yesterday.

All of these aircraft have engine covers on and are part until more flights are in the air.

There were 4 international flights leaving when I was there. London, Manila and Milan, I forgot what the 4 was but was probably a Chinese flight since there were a couple park.

Who flies to Milan from YVR?

Alexcaban Jun 21, 2020 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8957562)
Who flies to Milan from YVR?

Cargo flight.

rbt Jun 22, 2020 1:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatnext (Post 8957562)
Who flies to Milan from YVR?

The deep nose swabs are mostly manufactured in northern Italy.

Airboy Jun 22, 2020 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexcaban (Post 8958386)
Cargo flight.

Nope it looked like a passenger flight.

Airboy Jun 22, 2020 2:52 PM

I did meet a couple that were being repatriated back to Canada after being stuck in the Philippines for 7 week. And I have friends still stuck in NZ. They couldn't get a flight to Auckland from the south Island. So have been stuck there for 8 weeks.

wave46 Jun 22, 2020 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 8958848)
I did meet a couple that were being repatriated back to Canada after being stuck in the Philippines for 7 week. And I have friends still stuck in NZ. They couldn't get a flight to Auckland from the south Island. So have been stuck there for 8 weeks.

Really?

I'm actually kind of shocked. I thought internal flights or inter-city bus travel were still operating in NZ, even during the pandemic.

I mean, I wouldn't sit in Auckland if I had to kill 8 weeks in NZ though.

Airboy Jun 22, 2020 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave46 (Post 8958868)
Really?

I'm actually kind of shocked. I thought internal flights or inter-city bus travel were still operating in NZ, even during the pandemic.

I mean, I wouldn't sit in Auckland if I had to kill 8 weeks in NZ though.

Apparently They were so locked down there that they were only allowed to walk around their neighborhood. Its opened up. and Have not heard from them so they may be on their way home now. They were from NZ originally so had no issues with being stuck there.

hollywoodcory Jun 22, 2020 6:28 PM

YYC May stats are better than expected. There were days back in May that had only 300 pax.

Domestic: 78,416
Transborder: 2,613
International: 0
May total: 81,029

I will venture a guess and say June will be around 90,000 and July could possibly push it over 100,000. Non-domestic flights will go from 14 weekly to 40 in July as well.

thenoflyzone Jun 22, 2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airboy (Post 8958845)
Nope it looked like a passenger flight.

Which day was this? The 17th?

The only flight to/from Europe on the 17 of June is the AC to LHR. Nothing else, according to FR24.

In fact, the only flight from MXP to North America that day is Fedex 7 to MEM.

Unless the flight was military. FR24 blocks most military flights.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.