SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

icetea93 Nov 13, 2012 3:49 PM

I think it's only a matter of time before H&M sets up shop in St. John's. Especially now that they are in Fredericton. They are also looking at opening a second Halifax location on Spring Garden Road, so they have a fairly large precensce in the Maritimes. Don't see why it should be any different up there!

jeddy1989 Nov 13, 2012 3:55 PM

:shrug::previous:
Makes absolutly no sense to us why they didn't open up years ago :S

Townie709 Nov 13, 2012 4:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregHickman (Post 5899534)
The price and meal portions/quality do not transition from south to north of the border. Going to a Burger King in America is essentially the same experience as going to one here but you get nearly twice as much food for half the price. The same can be said for restaurants. That is, if you were referring to that, anyway. It's not as if Macdonald's $1 menu exists in Canada. :haha:

As for Chili's...it's nothing too great. :P

WHAT??? That is my absolute favourite american chain restaurant! It's so good and I love it! :haha:

And that's true about the prices and portion sizes. Whenever I go to a restaurant in the states, I can very rarely finish the meal.

Townie709 Nov 13, 2012 4:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5899875)
Both Moncton and Fredericton have an H&M store. I think it's a good possibility H&M would set up shop here.

It seems to be that way with alot of chains that we don't have. There are many cities and towns much smaller than us on the mainland and in the US that have many chains (retail and restaurant) that we don't have. I don't know why because alot of them, I'm sure, would do very well here. Someone who lives in an area of 200,000 anywhere else in north america does not have to go away to shop.

I don't know if it is more expensive to set up shop on a island with shipping costs and stuff, or if they simply don't know we exist. but chain retail has certainly not reached it's potential here in the city. But I have confidence it will pick up and i look forward to the day that we can shop in the province and actually enjoy our vacations, not shop till we drop!

In response to Ayronaut, I agree that downtown needs alot more fast food restaurants. I would love to see a few more locations such as a Mcdonalds, Burger King or even Taco Bell open up in Atlantic Place (Which as I previously posted, needs alot more retail space in general) or open up shop on water street by modernizing a building such as Smokies Pouteinery has done so well. I would love to see a nicer balance in the downtown of "mom and pop touristy shops and cafes" and chain retail that will draw the residing public to the downtown!

JHikka Nov 13, 2012 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5899947)
I don't know if it is more expensive to set up shop on a island with shipping costs and stuff

It is, particularly when the largest city on that island is so isolated from the nearest other metropolitan area.

And Chili's isn't really that great. Of course, I wasn't particularly impressed with a lot of the chains I visited..Chili's, Chik-Fil-A, Popeye's..none of them particularly impressive. Best restaurant I went to was Gladys Knight's Chicken & Waffle in Atlanta. Best chicken AND waffle i've ever had! :haha::haha:

MonctonRad Nov 13, 2012 4:42 PM

:previous:

Is that Chicken and Waffles at the same time!!?!?? :eek:

PoscStudent Nov 13, 2012 4:48 PM

I'd say one big reason for H&M not being in St. John's is because there's no where for them to open a store.

statbass Nov 13, 2012 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonctonRad (Post 5899985)
:previous:

Is that Chicken and Waffles at the same time!!?!?? :eek:

It sounded like an odd combination to me as well.... but at the same time very tasty....:D

statbass Nov 13, 2012 4:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5899998)
I'd say one big reason for H&M not being in St. John's is because there's no where for them to open a store.

How big does the floor space range at a typical H&M? I know the Avalon Mall just created an 1100 sq ft space for lease, is that too small for H&M??? The only H&M location I've been to was at Rue Ste Catherine in Montreal and the place was three floors! Not sure if H&M opens up smaller locations in smaller centres?

Townie709 Nov 13, 2012 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoscStudent (Post 5899998)

What? There is loads of space for them to open a store. Avalon mall would be the best place for them. If they wanted to, they could probably buy out a tenant. The village has had several large openings in the past few years, all the new Development in the stevangar drive area, kelsey drive, the new southlands power center, any random parking lot! There's loads of space for them to come when they choose to

jeddy1989 Nov 13, 2012 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5900008)
How big does the floor space range at a typical H&M? I know the Avalon Mall just created an 1100 sq ft space for lease, is that too small for H&M??? The only H&M location I've been to was at Rue Ste Catherine in Montreal and the place was three floors! Not sure if H&M opens up smaller locations in smaller centres?

The ones that I've visited, even in a city of 17,000 in Swden is about at least the size of Urban planet in the Avalon Mall, I never thought about that these stores are generally large lol I guess it's because I normally B line it to the men's section hahaha

Arrakis Nov 13, 2012 4:58 PM

I really don't don't understand the hoopla over whether H&M comes to St. John's or not. It's only a clothing store. I have been in the H&M in Toronto. Seemed like any other clothing store to me.

That being said. I would say Avalon Mall would be the logical place to set up shop, though they don't really have much available space left.

jeddy1989 Nov 13, 2012 4:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5900011)
What? There is loads of space for them to open a store. Avalon mall would be the best place for them. If they wanted to, they could probably buy out a tenant. The village has had several large openings in the past few years, all the new Development in the stevangar drive area, kelsey drive, the new southlands power center, any random parking lot! There's loads of space for them to come when they choose to

you're right. I think the Village should grab one lol they have TONNES of space and could realllllly use the attention H&M would get.

jeddy1989 Nov 13, 2012 5:10 PM

I would really like a pedestrian shopping street in the city somewhere, even if they do it out in a big box development or more idealy DT (not really anywhere to make one)
even if mount pearl made an area for one that would be nice :)

like every european city no matter how big or small has one and I love em

Arrakis Nov 13, 2012 5:33 PM

Yeah but the Village has lost its shine that it once had. I don't think it's really a destination locale for a H&M.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5900014)
you're right. I think the Village should grab one lol they have TONNES of space and could realllllly use the attention H&M would get.

Arrakis Nov 13, 2012 5:40 PM

That wouldnt really work with the big box parks. You really need to be able to drive around to get from store to store. Unless they are on the one parking lot.

I remember back in the early 70's when the city converted part of Water Street to a pedestrian only mall. I think it was in response to the recent opening of the Avalon Mall in 1967. They put in big planters with trees in them. Kiosks and park benches and gazebos. They even painted parts of the streets in with splashes of colour. Of course it didn't last very long before it was converted back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5900032)
I would really like a pedestrian shopping street in the city somewhere, even if they do it out in a big box development or more idealy DT (not really anywhere to make one)
even if mount pearl made an area for one that would be nice :)

like every european city no matter how big or small has one and I love em

Townie709 Nov 13, 2012 6:12 PM

:previous: Really? Wow!

It didn't work then, but I strongly believe it would work now. Back then was the beginning of sprawl and people were living further and further away from DT. There was obviously not enough population to support it, which is a huge problem we have. This is why new condo developments are so important. We need to be increasing density and drawing people to the downtown to do things. I say if the council truely cares about revitalizing the downtown, they must encourage many more condo/apartment buildings and re-introduce a creative retail center to our downtown.

Great ideas like that are what will make or break us. At least the council of yester-year were imaginative and TRIED. Today, our council is unimaginative and afraid to do anything. We are trying too hard to preserve the past and not trying hard enough to develop an innovative, revitalizing plan for the downtown.

We need to address the downtown density issue NOW. Paradise and CBS are expanding at a rate of over 1200 houses a year. With the average household population of 2.5, that gives us about 3000 people a year moving to the suburbs. I highly doubt we have increased the population of downtown that much in the past 30 years. At least we are beginning to add condo developments such as Henry Bell/Mix, Star of the Sea, Fort Williams, The Narrows and Harbourside but that is not enough. We need more! Already we are seeing, and complaining, about the negative effects of urban sprawl and it will only intensify unless action is taken.

The reason that great retail idea didn't work downtown is lack of density. Council should have realized that in 1972 and started working to solve that problem. But instead, here we are in 2012. looking back at all that time, we have done virtually nothing to solve our diluted downtown. For years it seems we left our downtown to rot. We are finally trying to get back on track. I just hope it is not too late.

Edit: My 300th post! ^^^ woot party!

PoscStudent Nov 13, 2012 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5900011)

There is very little space in the Avalon Mall and I can't imagine another retailer being interested in giving up their lease for H&M. The Village is dead, unless they were able to attract some bigger names into the mall I doubt H&M would be interested in setting up there. They'd be there now if it seemed feasible. Few clothing stores open stand alone stores in big box store developments, and I believe H&M usually goes for shopping malls.

The only logical place is the Avalon Mall IMO, and there's no space there.

Ayreonaut Nov 13, 2012 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GregHickman (Post 5899867)
Are there even any Five Guys in Canada?

There are 3-5 in the Calgary area (all new within the last couple years), and a few around Vancouver. I think there's one in Winnipeg, too, so I'm sure they have a presence in all the larger markets in Canada now.

I think if they opened one downtown here, I alone would make it profitable.

Arrakis Nov 13, 2012 7:34 PM

Wishful thinking. Would be nice but not gonna happen. Downtown is the last place H&M would open a store if they were to come to St. John's. They will go where the masses go. That's either big box retail park or a big mall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut (Post 5900238)
There are 3-5 in the Calgary area (all new within the last couple years), and a few around Vancouver. I think there's one in Winnipeg, too, so I'm sure they have a presence in all the larger markets in Canada now.

I think if they opened one downtown here, I alone would make it profitable.