SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   St. John's (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=700)
-   -   [St. John's] Retail Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198935)

Townie709 Oct 19, 2012 1:31 AM

:previous:

I never knew that before! I always assumed that the shopping mall idea was dropped with the rooftop hotel.

I can only guess why it wasn't successful. I imagine people did not like the idea of paying for parking at a mall when they could park at The Village or the Avalon Mall for free. Lack of density in the immediate area probably would have been another factor in the unsuccessfulness of it.

A downtown shopping complex would probably be much more successful if we built up density in the downtown core. We are getting a good start on that it with projects like MIX, Henry Bell and Star of the Sea, but hopefully in the coming years we continue to build up density in the downtown core.

Maybe sometime in the future, someone else will give a shopping complex a try :haha:

Thanks for sharing, and sorry for being so ill-knowledged!

Arrakis Oct 20, 2012 9:07 PM

But that was a long time ago now and I think today, things would be somewhat different and possibly more successful if they had a shopping centre on Water Street...with so many more people living in the downtown area now and more wanting to move into the downtown core and condos going up everywhere. So who knows, you may see something like that happening again in the future if things keep going in the direction they are going now with downtown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Townie709 (Post 5871725)

I never knew that before! I always assumed that the shopping mall idea was dropped with the rooftop hotel.

I can only guess why it wasn't successful. I imagine people did not like the idea of paying for parking at a mall when they could park at The Village or the Avalon Mall for free. Lack of density in the immediate area probably would have been another factor in the unsuccessfulness of it.

A downtown shopping complex would probably be much more successful if we built up density in the downtown core. We are getting a good start on that it with projects like MIX, Henry Bell and Star of the Sea, but hopefully in the coming years we continue to build up density in the downtown core.

Maybe sometime in the future, someone else will give a shopping complex a try :haha:

Thanks for sharing, and sorry for being so ill-knowledged!

Architype Oct 21, 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5873555)
But that was a long time ago now and I think today, things would be somewhat different and possibly more successful if they had a shopping centre on Water Street...with so many more people living in the downtown area now and more wanting to move into the downtown core and condos going up everywhere. So who knows, you may see something like that happening again in the future if things keep going in the direction they are going now with downtown.

Back when the Atlantic Place "mall" was opened in the mid seventies, I'm pretty sure there were also three department stores still open (Woolworth's, Ayre's and Bowrings), also some others such as Army & Navy, Royal Stores, probably. Water Street was quite a different place and things downtown were more competitive with all these retailers. The whole market has changed now. I'm not sure exactly how that would affect it, but it would.

Townie709 Oct 21, 2012 12:47 AM

I would love it if Apple opened up shop on Water Street. I love Apple products, and I LOVE the look of Apple stores!

If they bought a property on water street, and spruced it up in a way only they can do (similar to picture below) I think they would do really well! Everywhere I go, Apple Stores are like magnets! I don't know about you, but I find it hard to walk by an Apple Store without going in, even just to browse!

I know we are getting a Jump+ which is similar, but I think an official Apple Store would look spectacular and thrive on Water Street.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/...546f68c191.jpg

:previous: Just an example of an Apple Store in a "historic" area

Ayreonaut Oct 21, 2012 2:27 AM

I've not struggled to walk past every one I've seen. :P

I guess they look alright, so there's at least one thing going for it (even then, it's just glass ... groundbreaking! :wizard:). Won't happen though.

Arrakis Oct 21, 2012 10:54 PM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...26164475_n.jpg

Apple also builds stores in historic buildings too where they keep the integrity of the historic facade intact, like this on in London England on Regent Street (I would guess building a glass cube would be against heritage rules). Still looks nice though. Apple should build a nice store on that ugly gravel pit opposite the fortis building. LOL.

Arrakis Oct 21, 2012 11:06 PM

Yeah it changes almost every generation it seems, sometimes good and sometimes bad. I recall when I was a kid in the late 60's there were many big dept stores down there. Starting with Sears where the StatOil offices are now, then Woolworth's, Arcade, The Big Six, Bowring's (St. John's version of the The Bay), Ayre's Variety (where Scotia Centre is now), Ayre's Big Dept Store (where Atlantic Place now stands), The London New York And Paris (which is all boutique stores now) and others like Parker and Monroe shoes (two stores), Dicks & Co. Books and office supplies, Agnew Shoes, which is now the model shop, the classic McMurdo's Drug Store with it's soda counter which i think is now the Shanghai Restaurant. Hardware store where The Rocket is now. Oh the memories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Architype (Post 5873742)
Back when the Atlantic Place "mall" was opened in the mid seventies, I'm pretty sure there were also three department stores still open (Woolworth's, Ayre's and Bowrings), also some others such as Army & Navy, Royal Stores, probably. Water Street was quite a different place and things downtown were more competitive with all these retailers. The whole market has changed now. I'm not sure exactly how that would affect it, but it would.

jeddy1989 Oct 22, 2012 10:08 PM

The Empire Theatres location is under construction as well as other buildings in the development

This was taken today Oct 22 2012 by me

If you will notice the big roundabout in the middle/ the intersection to the right!!!!! (I'm sure it's a roundabout even if you can't tell in the pic)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...12592260_n.jpg

SignalHillHiker Oct 22, 2012 10:12 PM

Awesome. Our first roundabout. Now we just need one at the bottom of Freshwater Road at Cookstown.

jeddy1989 Oct 22, 2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker (Post 5875587)
Awesome. Our first roundabout. Now we just need one at the bottom of Freshwater Road at Cookstown.

It's our second ;) there has been one in the Dump for years :P

and then woodridge has one so thats at least three lmao! haha

SignalHillHiker Oct 22, 2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5875591)
It's our second ;) there has been one in the Dump for years :P

and then woodridge has one so thats at least three lmao! haha

:haha:

I stand corrected. Sorry, lol.

Townie709 Oct 23, 2012 12:51 AM

Well, it will be our first heavy traffic roundabout! Be afraid.. Very afraid!!

So empire theaters is actually under construction now? Great!

Arrakis Oct 23, 2012 1:15 PM

A roundabout is also planned for Carrick Drive too when the new Wedgewood Park Centre is built.

jeddy1989 Oct 23, 2012 1:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arrakis (Post 5876309)
A roundabout is also planned for Carrick Drive too when the new Wedgewood Park Centre is built.

BAHAHAH that's what I ment by "woodridge" hahaha I guess I was typing too fast that day :P

statbass Oct 23, 2012 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeddy1989 (Post 5876321)
BAHAHAH that's what I ment by "woodridge" hahaha I guess I was typing too fast that day :P

I was actually going to reply and ask where Woodridge is located but your correction beat me to the punch. :D

JHikka Oct 30, 2012 12:30 AM

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread yet but if you go to Kelsey's Bar & Grill Website and search for stores there is a list of provinces which includes Newfoundland (although it doesn't list a city as yet). So, unless i've been living under a rock...a Kelsey's in St. John's soon?

Townie709 Oct 30, 2012 1:43 AM

I believe there is a Kelsey's (along with a few other unknown restaurants, one of which is rumored to be a "Milestones") being built in the Field Power Center development in the Stevanger Drive area; in the same place as the new Empire Theaters.

statbass Oct 31, 2012 10:05 PM

This is an extension my post in the HRM retail thread. I think we should make a conscious effort to promote local retail and restaurants in the city. I realize this is a bit harder since local business is less advertised; I find TheScope.ca a good source of information on this front.

jeddy1989 Oct 31, 2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by statbass (Post 5886578)
This is an extension my post in the HRM retail thread. I think we should make a conscious effort to promote local retail and restaurants in the city. I realize this is a bit harder since local business is less advertised; I find TheScope.ca a good source of information on this front.

I agree, I don't think people realize how much some local stores have come to fill the gap of what national and international chains would provide (either as substitutes or supplying actual brands) they need to be recognized more and promoted more because for one its BETTER than a chain from away because the money stays here and helps local business grow. Also people come sometimes and say oh you dont have X Y or Z .. and they dont realize that you do not need every exact brand in every city to fill the need

:tup: I'm happy you guys brought it up in the Halifax thread :)

things like that international award for best lingerie store NEEDS to be advertised!!

SignalHillHiker Oct 31, 2012 10:22 PM

I'll start wearing their stuff on my hikes. Give them some promotion that way.