SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Google Sketchup (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Google Sketchup Updates/Questions/Tips (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140789)

Flamesrule Feb 3, 2010 8:57 PM

Ok guys here is the question. I know how to get textures from the web and everything but .........

How do you MAKE your own textures??????

If I use MS Paint do I use a photo from the internet and then edit it or make it from scratch????? Also if I make it from scratch then how?????

I really need this answered.

It's probably around here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look it up.:haha:

Duffstuff129 Feb 3, 2010 9:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesrule (Post 4680466)
Ok guys here is the question. I know how to get textures from the web and everything but .........

How do you MAKE your own textures??????

If I use MS Paint do I use a photo from the internet and then edit it or make it from scratch????? Also if I make it from scratch then how?????

I really need this answered.

It's probably around here somewhere but I'm too lazy to look it up.:haha:

This is extremely vague. What do you mean exactly?

Flamesrule Feb 3, 2010 9:20 PM

lol soory for not being more clearly. This is what I mean:

I want to make my own textures instead of searching for them on the internet.

How do I MAKE my own textures???

I know still very wide in asking but I just need to know how to make textures.If you need more understanding just tell me.

Krases Feb 23, 2010 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamesrule (Post 4680517)
lol soory for not being more clearly. This is what I mean:

I want to make my own textures instead of searching for them on the internet.

How do I MAKE my own textures???

I know still very wide in asking but I just need to know how to make textures.If you need more understanding just tell me.

Well you can find a existing texture and modify it slightly or you can take pictures and take samples from that picture, then use various distortion techniques to make it smooth and even.

Austin55 Feb 25, 2010 2:17 AM

Hey flamesrule, what kind of textures are you wanting? like actual pictures, paint style (like early staunton) or something like live.local things (newer staunton)?

Austin55 Feb 25, 2010 2:33 AM

Here is how I do a texture. I make every face a component, it makes everything easier to work with and edit and speeds up sketchup a tad.

I start out with a blank face and turn it into a component. Afterwards you can add the texture of your choice, and use the move/copy tool to crop the edges smoothly along the texture (just make sure when you do you stay on the axis) From here you can easily scale the face as a whole without ruining your texture, or if you need, say more windows rather than bigger windows you can use the same move/copy tool i mentioned above.

Edit-then you can take these faces and rotate them together to make buildings. it will take some practivce but it works great for me.

Flamesrule Feb 25, 2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin55 (Post 4717069)
Hey flamesrule, what kind of textures are you wanting? like actual pictures, paint style (like early staunton) or something like live.local things (newer staunton)?

Thanks for the advice Austin. I'll try it.

BTW I would like to try Local live kind of textures since I'm already using real life photos.

Aleks Mar 1, 2010 6:23 AM

woahhhhh! i had no idea you could change the view on sketchup! click on the "Zoom" tool (little magnifying glass) and at the bottom-right corner you will see "35.00 degrees". Click on once, nothing will happen, but begin typing (i have it set at 90 right now) and click enter. You will be able to see more of your model.

I think it's greattt since I always want to do renders in small spaces! try it!

Krases Mar 1, 2010 6:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleks (Post 4723948)
woahhhhh! i had no idea you could change the view on sketchup! click on the "Zoom" tool (little magnifying glass) and at the bottom-right corner you will see "35.00 degrees". Click on once, nothing will happen, but begin typing (i have it set at 90 right now) and click enter. You will be able to see more of your model.

I think it's greattt since I always want to do renders in small spaces! try it!

GAH! That is pretty cool!

ertiikus Mar 5, 2010 1:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krases (Post 4723978)
GAH! That is pretty cool!

Field of view

Innsertnamehere Apr 20, 2010 8:22 PM

:previous: i tried that, but i dont like it, it makes your model look all wonky.

i have a few questions. first how do you make a cone and half-sphere?

and, this is more general, but how exactly do i upload photos to the forum? i've taken the snapshots on sketchup, and then put them on photobucket but what do i do now?

Austin55 Jul 3, 2010 9:48 PM

How do you make other components invisible while working with anoher component?

treras93 Jul 3, 2010 10:51 PM

On mac its view>component edit>hide rest of model and when you click on the component everything else will be gone.

Austin55 Jul 3, 2010 10:55 PM

^thanks.
Also, how do you turn of autosave? I forgot.

treras93 Jul 3, 2010 11:19 PM

sorry i dont know that one, the settings are different on mac and pc.

foshizzle92 Jul 5, 2010 12:39 AM

Please help me. I am so confused about textures. have no idea about how to make them and how to apply them to models. I am beyond confused about this.
Thanks,
Jack

Vellu Jul 9, 2010 8:58 AM

Welcome to the forum!

There's tons of material about using textures in Sketchup. There's stuff in this thread and other threads in this forum. You might want to check the Staunton and Tennington threads for example. There's also some useful tutorials and the Sketchup site: http://sketchup.google.com/intl/fi/training/videos.html and check out YouTube also.

Jonboy1983 Aug 7, 2010 4:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere (Post 4804038)
:previous: i tried that, but i dont like it, it makes your model look all wonky.

i have a few questions. first how do you make a cone and half-sphere?

and, this is more general, but how exactly do i upload photos to the forum? i've taken the snapshots on sketchup, and then put them on photobucket but what do i do now?

you can go to your photo album on photobucket and select the photo(s) you want to post to a forum. It should give you 4 options (email, AIM, url, and forum [img] posting) You'd want the last option on here. Highlight that url and select "copy." Then, come back into this forum and select "paste." and you should see a code like this in the type box:

[IMG]urlofphotoonphotobucketorwhateverwebsitethepicisstoredon.etc[/IMG]

Of course, the mac option was already posted apparently. :-)

NOTE: you must use the appropriate code when and where necessary. i.e. it will not work trying to pass off a URL code as an IMG one. I tried that the first time only to see a dreaded red "X" where the photo should be...

Flamesrule Aug 7, 2010 12:25 PM

Hey thansk for helping him but as you may see his city Howich he has figured how to do it.

But thanks for helping!

Flamesrule Aug 17, 2010 11:35 AM

Hey Guys Here is a question: How do you make a building by floor by floor?