SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Business, Politics & the Economy (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=261)
-   -   General Retail News (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143137)

WaterlooInvestor Dec 21, 2007 12:31 PM

General Retail News

**Please use this thread to discuss retail/commercial storefront topics.

[Note: Feel free to change/move this thread however the locals desire.]

So I was browsing Toronto-based Carbon Computing's website and I noticed a new location opening up. I thought I'd post the news here to let you all know: http://www.carbonation.com/contact/index.html

Ottawa: 1065 Wellington Street West. Judging by Google Maps, there appears to be somewhat of an urban strip there.

http://www.carbonation.com/promos/ott-head.gif

http://www.carbonation.com/contact/i...ct_banner2.gif

http://www.carbonation.com/contact/images/webmap.gif

eemy Dec 21, 2007 1:44 PM

Hmm, how are things in that part of Hintonburg? I know it's becoming more and more attractive, but I understand this was mostly west of Parkdale. In any case, I suppose an Apple retailer makes sense in that neighbourhood.

harls Dec 21, 2007 1:57 PM

"We've got Ontario Covered" eh? They don't even show the whole province!

Acajack Dec 21, 2007 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harls (Post 3239777)
"We've got Ontario Covered" eh? They don't even show the whole province!

... and their Ottawa store appears to be in Québec!

spotlight Dec 22, 2007 7:49 AM

what stores would you like to see in Ottawa ??

here's my list:

Apple store
Abercrombie and Fitch
Hollister clothing
Pottery Barn
William Sonoma
Bang and Olufson
Armani Exchange
Simon's

I;m sure there are more but that's all I can think of for now !

Aylmer Dec 22, 2007 1:59 PM

Eaton's...

If only!

Jamaican-Phoenix Dec 22, 2007 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist (Post 3241620)
Eaton's...

If only!

Um, dude?

There used to be Eaton's in Ottawa, but since Eaton's was supplanted/bought by Sears, Sears has taken over.

In fact, if you use Live Search and zoom in on the Rideau Centre in Ottawa and scan the roof of the part near the Transitway/MacKenzie King Bridge, you can see the old EATON letters laying down on the roof. :haha:

AuxTown Dec 22, 2007 4:15 PM

Quote:

In fact, if you use Live Search and zoom in on the Rideau Centre in Ottawa and scan the roof of the part near the Transitway/MacKenzie King Bridge, you can see the old EATON letters laying down on the roof.
Good call on that one, that's awesome!

m0nkyman Dec 23, 2007 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spotlight (Post 3241400)

here's my list:

Apple store
Abercrombie and Fitch
Hollister clothing
Pottery Barn
William Sonoma
Bang and Olufson
Armani Exchange
Simon's

I'll add to the list:
Louis Vuitton
Sephora
BCBG Max Azria
Restoration Hardware
Mandarina Duck
H&M
Cabela's

spotlight Dec 23, 2007 8:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m0nkyman (Post 3242535)
I'll add to the list:
Louis Vuitton
Sephora
BCBG Max Azria
Restoration Hardware
Mandarina Duck
H&M
Cabela's

Well you already have one of your wishes... there's a BCBG Max Azaria that just opened at the Rideau centre.

good call on the others... I still can't believe that we don't have an H&M yet

m0nkyman Dec 23, 2007 1:01 PM

OK. then put Bebe in the list where BCBG was. ;)

BlackRedGold Dec 23, 2007 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spotlight (Post 3241400)

I'll add my list:

T&T
Whole Foods
Tourneau
Tiffany & Co
Zara
Lucky Brand Jeans
REI
Sam's Club

eemy Dec 23, 2007 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRedGold (Post 3242826)
REI
Sam's Club

Does REI have any stores outside of the US? Also, I think every community would do better without Sam's Club.

BlackRedGold Dec 24, 2007 1:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremy_haak (Post 3243164)
Does REI have any stores outside of the US?

Nope, but I didn't know that was a criteria for the wishlist.

Quote:

Also, I think every community would do better without Sam's Club.
I think an expansion of Sam's Club into Ottawa would see Costco build more a few more stores locally. That's why I want it, not because I think I'll be doing much, if any, shopping there.

Since Costco is destroying Sam's Club, I don't think Sam's Club is going to do much to local communities.

eemy Dec 24, 2007 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRedGold (Post 3244033)
Nope, but I didn't know that was a criteria for the wishlist.

It wasn't so much that it's a criteria, I was just curious about whether REI has moved out of the US or not, since if they had, it would make it a more likely possibility.

Kitchissippi Dec 24, 2007 7:08 PM

REI is a co-op just like MEC. I don't think they would be able to operate out of the US. I think REI and MEC have some common connections and exchange ideas.

One American company I wish would make forays in to Canada is Target. It's slightly upscale from Walmart and Zellers and I think it's a niche that is somewhat unfilled at the moment in Ottawa.

Jamaican-Phoenix Dec 24, 2007 7:25 PM

When I was in the States not too long ago and based on visits before that, I don't really get the sense of Target. Yes, it is a bit more upscale than Wal-Mart, but not by any significant margin. I guess I just don't see what all the fuss is about.

BlackRedGold Dec 25, 2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitchissippi (Post 3244352)
One American company I wish would make forays in to Canada is Target. It's slightly upscale from Walmart and Zellers and I think it's a niche that is somewhat unfilled at the moment in Ottawa.

I wish Target would just buy and fix Zellers. How hard is it to keep the store neat and tidy with the shelves full and price tags for everything when the stores are always dead?

The SuperTargets in the US have some really good upscale private label food products. Meanwhile Zellers has nothing unique to their stores that I'd want to buy.

Ottawade Dec 28, 2007 8:20 AM

Simon's for shopping
Apple store if only for the breathtaking storefronts they have done in other cities.

spotlight Jan 8, 2008 7:38 PM

well 2 more stores from the lists mentioned above have been announced by the Rideau Centre as coming soon:

Lucky brand jeans: July 2008
Sephora: September 2008

also annouced are nike store: July 2008 and Coach: August 2008

I wonder where these stores will go... who is leaving to make room for them ?

waterloowarrior Jan 15, 2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Canadian Tire closes last of its small stores
Westboro outlet no longer fits strategy, but workers keep jobs
Tim ShufeltThe Ottawa Citizen
Friday, January 11, 2008

Canadian Tire quietly closed its store on Richmond Road at Island Park Drive on Wednesday night, shutting down the last of the chain's traditional, small-scale stores in the Ottawa area.

The small, white building, constructed in 1952, no longer fits in with the retailer's evolved corporate strategy, said Shaun Telfer, regional manager of dealer relations.

"The small stores have some lasting romance, but there's just not enough space at the end of the day. They run out of room and we're trying to sell things like patio sets and barbecues," Mr. Telfer said.

Staff was busy winding down the operation at the store yesterday, taking inventory and getting things ready to move to Canadian Tire's new big-box store on Carling Avenue near the Queensway, which is set to open in late
March.

At that time, another Carling Avenue outlet, just east of Woodroffe Avenue, will also be closed and folded into the new superstore.

All affected employees have been guaranteed jobs, said spokeswoman Lisa Gibson. All but two from the Richmond Road store in Westboro took the company up on the offer, she said.

The store's owner, Marcel Jakubow, however, was not offered ownership of the new franchise, but will instead head up a store in Antigonish, N.S. Mr. Jakubow said he did not have time to answer questions yesterday.

Outside the store, surprised pedestrians read the signs announcing the closing and peered through the windows of the neighbourhood mainstay.

"I've been coming here for 40 years, since I was a little kid," Rick Brown said. "I bought my first BB gun, my first hatchet here. I used to cut school to come look at stuff on the shelves."

He said he understands that retailers need to change their tack to compete with the likes of Home Depot and Wal-Mart. "But this is a local place," Mr. Brown said, adding the store was always busy.

He said Canadian Tire's departure is a big loss to Westboro, with a large contingent of seniors and retirees who rely on the store.

That's true, said Ian Lee, director of Carleton University's MBA program.

But the neighbourhood would be better served by a retailer like Home Hardware, whose higher-price, lower-volume strategy works well in smaller stores in downtown neighbourhoods, he said.

"I know these people. I'm one of them," Mr. Lee said. "We aren't going out and buying all kinds of power tools. We just need the occasional shovel and the occasional can of paint. And that's not Canadian Tire's market anymore."

Its market now is primarily new homeowners with young families, who are willing to sacrifice an intimate, traditional shopping experience for more selection and lower prices, Mr. Lee said.

And that strategy works best in the suburbs where there is more space and real estate is relatively cheap.

Canadian Tire's strategy changed after Wal-Mart crossed the border into the Canadian market in the mid-1990s. To keep prices competitive, the company began to reinvest in its infrastructure to allow for much larger stores in fewer locations, Mr. Lee said.

That strategy has served Canadian Tire well in fending off the big-box onslaught, he said.

While the company is well into the process of reinvention, Ms. Gibson said there are still some older, smaller stores scattered across the country that, like the one in Westboro, are due for a re-evaluation.

"We're still looking at opportunities," she said.

© The Ottawa Citizen 2008

if anyone has recent pics of the new 'urban' Canadian Tire at Carling and Clyde, I'd love to see them :)

Mille Sabords Jan 15, 2008 2:07 AM

Canadian Tire also placedll-page ads in the Citizen saying, "We're doing this to serve you better - we want you to enjoy the wider array of exciting products we have in store for you and we need a bigger store to do this."

To which we should respond with another full-page ad in the Citizen saying, "Go fuck yourself Canadian Tire, we don't want floor-to-ceiling bug juice and monster barbecues, we want our goddamn neighbourhood hardware store back".

Fuck those bastards. Another regressive company that doesn't get it, and sticks it to the neighbourhood in the process. Last time I darken their doorframes.

AuxTown Jan 15, 2008 2:25 AM

I really think that Home Hardware does a good job fitting in as the neighbourhood hardware store. They should do more of that and try to move into all the little areas that places like CT and Home Depot wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. With a bit of clever stocking and not bothering to 90% of the crap that CT carries, I think they could do very well. Why drive to South Keys or Coventry Road when I can get what I want around the corner from my place and support a local (and Canadian) business in the process? Though I do understand why Canadian Tire left Westboro, property managers are slowly removing everything but Starbucks and Lulu Lemon from their neighbourhood with ridiculous rents. Trendy areas in Ottawa like this get screwed. In places like Toronto or Montreal the small business moves to the less-trendy two streets down, but NIMBY's and residential-only zoning make that virtually impossible in New Edinburgh, Westboro, The Glebe, etc. Just a growing pain, we'll figure it out someday.

Mille Sabords Jan 15, 2008 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey (Post 3282737)
I really think that Home Hardware does a good job fitting in as the neighbourhood hardware store. They should do more of that and try to move into all the little areas that places like CT and Home Depot wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. With a bit of clever stocking and not bothering to 90% of the crap that CT carries, I think they could do very well. Why drive to South Keys or Coventry Road when I can get what I want around the corner from my place and support a local (and Canadian) business in the process? Though I do understand why Canadian Tire left Westboro, property managers are slowly removing everything but Starbucks and Lulu Lemon from their neighbourhood with ridiculous rents. Trendy areas in Ottawa like this get screwed. In places like Toronto or Montreal the small business moves to the less-trendy two streets down, but NIMBY's and residential-only zoning make that virtually impossible in New Edinburgh, Westboro, The Glebe, etc. Just a growing pain, we'll figure it out someday.

We will figure it out someday, but in the meantime what breaks my loyalty to this type of retailer is that arrogant, paternalistic attitude that "we know what you want" and "we know what's best for you".

No you don't. You're getting hammered by the american big boxes, and you're trying to compete on their turf. You may well end up getting hammered even worse that way, when in fact you could be thriving by doing exactly the opposite to what the american big boxes are doing. So, you see, I know what's good for you, you dumb retailer. And I'm your customer (or make that, "was" your customer).

I only have to look to another Canadian company that has figured it out, Rona, to confirm that my hunch is right. In Montreal, Rona has specific formats for urban neighbourhoods called Rona L'Express. It's their version of Home Hardware, except they actually make a specific effort to seek out, and open, new locations. If you need something big that your corner hardware doesn't carry, hey, they're connected to the big box on the autouroute, they'll bring it in for you. How's tomorrow? That's great, Mr. Mille Sabords, I'll see you then. Enjoy the evening on the avenue.

Take a hint, Canadian Tire. You've lost friends.

Jamaican-Phoenix Jan 15, 2008 3:34 PM

I find that Canadian Tire still has pretty good stuff in terms of Christmas and Birthday gifts, but the rule of thumb in my family is that for hardware related items, you go to Rona or better yet, Home Hardware. I have many a memory as a child of being sent to the Home Hardware in the Glebe for various tools or supplies.

waterloowarrior Jan 19, 2008 12:08 AM

Ken Gray on Canadian Tire

AuxTown Jan 19, 2008 2:36 PM

I think Ken Gray should join our forum. He has all kinds of interesting things to say.

Kitchissippi Jan 19, 2008 4:36 PM

Meh, it's funny how people wax sentimental once a place is gone. The truth is that Canadian Tire on Richmond was a crappy place and not that well integrated into the neighbourhood. It was uglier than a strip mall and the sight of cars waiting for repair lined up in the side street is something I won't miss. For all the whining going on about how convenient it was, I noticed that most people in Westboro still drove to that store even though it was walking distance for most people. I used to bike to that store and most of the time I'd see one other bike on the rack, if any.

I'd rather see a condo in that location as well as the gas bar beside, with real street level retail, similar to what's being built along the rest of Richmond/West Wellington.

ajldub Jan 19, 2008 5:05 PM

Here here Kitchissippi. The Cantire is gone because the land underneath is worth too much. And why a gas station when there is one just one block down the road? This is another small step in the conversion of Wellington/Richmond from the highway west out of town to a great retail strip. The gas station had to go, just like the old shell station - neither could compete with island park esso. I look forward to seeing what this stretch of road will look like in 10-20 years - there's this site, the lots at island park and wellington, and eventually the nuns will give up on their building and that unsightly wall will come down. A conversion to art gallery or restaurant could integrate that heritage building into the streetscape quite nicely. Let's just hope the oncoming recession isn't too rough on things around here...

ungodlycrosscheck Jan 22, 2008 8:33 PM

That's fantastic news about Sephora opening in Rideau in June 2008. Now if only H&M would get their act together and open an Ottawa location I will no longer need to frivolously cash in aeroplane points so my better half can fly to Toronto to shop at those two stores.

Now that H&M has made a splash entering the Montreal market, and will be making an even bigger dent with the opening of their grand Peel and Ste-Catherines location later this year, one has to optimistically think that it's only a matter of time before they set up shop in O-town.

AuxTown Jan 22, 2008 10:39 PM

I was just saying to someone they other day that I think H&M would be a perfect flagship store for the expansion of Rideau Centre. With that neighbourhood growing so much one has to think that the proposal (or a similar one) will be re-submitted. It would be great to have stores like that fronting onto Rideau. Would get the ball rolling for similar retail developments further down the street (to replace one or two of the 10 tatoo parlours).

BlackRedGold Jan 27, 2008 6:57 PM

Since the grocery store at Bayshore has (not unexpectedly) shut it's doors, that's a good size spot for an H&M location to move into.

Ottawade Jan 27, 2008 7:53 PM

Moving this thread on to another retail topic... There are quite a few condos on the North-Western corner of centertown around Bronson and Laurier, and there is the whole development of Lebreton flats going on, but there isn't a grocery store, that I know of, for a pretty significant distance. Anyone know what the planned retail is in that area? I've pretty much written off any desire to look into anything in the area because of the long distances for basic needs.

ungodlycrosscheck Feb 4, 2008 4:53 PM

Ottawade,

Nope, nary a grocery store in Lebreton and nor was land zoned for one, nor is there one in the Bronson-Laurier area. With regards to the former area there was a horrid Loeb near Booth and Somerset that wasn't fit for a third world country and which closed its doors in 2006. Councillor Diane Holmes has apparently tried to entice a grocery chain back to the neighbourhood but with no success, no surprise there she's as useless as tits on a bull.

Just editorializing here, but as a resident of Centre Town West, I find it more than a nuisance and frankly a bit offensive that city planners are making allowances for big mega stores in the downtown area (see the Superstore at Kirkwood and Richmond) that reinforce residents' dependence on cars, at a time when we are trying to encourage the growth of sustainable pedestrian friendly communities. What I wouldn't give to be able to walk to pick up a bootle of wine, a loaf of bread, and groceries. What irks me even more are the visionaries at City Hall who I believe are complicit in the deterioration of services in the core, have the gaul to tell me that I should have to pay more on my property taxes to subsidize unsustainable growth in the suburbs.

Sorry, Monday morning rant.

clynnog Feb 4, 2008 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ungodlycrosscheck (Post 3330044)
Ottawade,
With regards to the former area there was a horrid Loeb near Booth and Somerset that wasn't fit for a third world country and which closed its doors in 2006. Councillor Diane Holmes has apparently tried to entice a grocery chain back to the neighbourhood but with no success, no surprise there she's as useless as tits on a bull.

I remember that Loeb and there was an outcry when it closed. Your views on Holmes are often echoed by many on this board. The unfortunate thing is that if you are a developer wanting to build in the core, if you don't have her 100% support you are cooked as she can make life very difficult.

Did anybody read Polowin's Op-ed in today's Citizen. It was very true to the mark today and for once wasn't an overt advertorial trying to lobby one of his clients projects at City Hall.

Ottawade Feb 4, 2008 7:58 PM

Yeah thats really killer. The whole reason I live in centertown is that I should be able to walk to all my retail needs. Where I am now I've got multiple bakery's, fruit/veg stores, coffee places, LCBO, a full out grocery store and lots of places to pick stuff up when I'm too lazy to cook and videostores and all that probably with in a 6 block radius.

That part of centertown is a freggin desert, even though there are some half decent high-rise condos I can't think of any of the above off the top of my head. Unless UPS delivers your food or you want to rent a car to drive to the store your out of luck. Yes I'm exaggerating, but I feel for the people who drop $500k on a gardens condo and lack for me what the most fundamental part of being downtown is: being able to walk to needs and entertainment on a whim.

AuxTown Feb 4, 2008 9:22 PM

I think the perfect spot for a multi-tower condo development complete with a retail podium (including a grocery store) is the old technical high school site. I know we have had these debates before, but I was down there the other day and that lot is a disgusting piece of crab grass and dog shit intermingled with surface parking and graffiti. The only portion I would consider keeping is the graffiti wall since it is the only thing which is remotely urban. It would really liven up that area and would, God fobid, give people a reason for walking West on Sparks Street at lunch or after work. Proposals for that site can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned, or maybe we could just build this one...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/553/15923573ud6.jpg

TransitZilla Feb 5, 2008 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey (Post 3330654)
I think the perfect spot for a multi-tower condo development complete with a retail podium (including a grocery store) is the old technical high school site. I know we have had these debates before, but I was down there the other day and that lot is a disgusting piece of crab grass and dog shit intermingled with surface parking and graffiti. The only portion I would consider keeping is the graffiti wall since it is the only thing which is remotely urban. It would really liven up that area and would, God fobid, give people a reason for walking West on Sparks Street at lunch or after work. Proposals for that site can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned, or maybe we could just build this one...

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/553/15923573ud6.jpg

^ I like it! It keeps the large park between Slater and Laurier but still makes good use of the rest of the land. A grocery store there would be fantastic.

Where did those plans come from?

Isn't the old Tech High School Site covered by the Escarpment District CDP? After LRT died, I guess that CDP is up in the air... especially if they have to figure out where tunnel portals are going to go.

AuxTown Feb 5, 2008 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradnixon (Post 3332138)
^ I like it! It keeps the large park between Slater and Laurier but still makes good use of the rest of the land. A grocery store there would be fantastic.

Where did those plans come from?

Isn't the old Tech High School Site covered by the Escarpment District CDP? After LRT died, I guess that CDP is up in the air... especially if they have to figure out where tunnel portals are going to go.

These are some renderings made up by the planners at city hall quite some time ago. We've discussed them a few times on the forum and the majority think it's a good idea. There are still a few people who remain unexplicably attached to that park (some of which will be preserved anyway). The main building of the school can be preserved somehow as well along with it's beautiful and under-used amphitheatre.

This might just be my imagination but can anyone else think of a larger plot of land in the downtown core which is yet undeveloped? Interesting that a while back someone mentioned how Urban Capital has a huge project up their sleeve for the largest undeveloped piece of land in the downtown core.....anyone else think this might be the land? One can dream anyway.

Kitchissippi Feb 5, 2008 5:29 PM

Looks like a small scale version of Vancouver's Spectrum development which has a Costco beneath four towers. The concept would be nice somewhere in LeBreton too. A Loblaws would do well downtown, where people could do groceries before heading home from work. President's Choice condos, anyone?

Mille Sabords Feb 5, 2008 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitchissippi (Post 3332498)
President's Choice condos, anyone?

:psycho:

eemy Feb 5, 2008 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitchissippi (Post 3332498)
President's Choice condos, anyone?

Memories of Vancouver? :)

BlackRedGold Feb 8, 2008 4:23 AM

One of my desired retailers is coming to town!

T&T is going to anchor a development at Hunt Club and Riverside.

ikerrin Feb 9, 2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaterlooInvestor (Post 3239685)
**Please use this thread to discuss retail/commercial storefront topics.

[Note: Feel free to change/move this thread however the locals desire.]

So I was browsing Toronto-based Carbon Computing's website and I noticed a new location opening up. I thought I'd post the news here to let you all know: http://www.carbonation.com/contact/index.html

Ottawa: 1065 Wellington Street West. Judging by Google Maps, there appears to be somewhat of an urban strip there.

http://www.carbonation.com/promos/ott-head.gif

Thanks for the heads up. This looks like a great store - dedicated to Macs no less. Now if only a retail Linux store would open.:tup:

As for stores I would like to see. I would love a really high end department store like in France or the NK in Stockholm or Harrods in London or even the old Simpsons (now the Bay) on Queen Street in Toronto. I can't understand why the Bay on Rideau doesn't do a massive renovation. Its such a run down place at the moment.

p_xavier Feb 9, 2008 1:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikerrin (Post 3341857)
As for stores I would like to see. I would love a really high end department store like in France or the NK in Stockholm or Harrods in London or even the old Simpsons (now the Bay) on Queen Street in Toronto. I can't understand why the Bay on Rideau doesn't do a massive renovation. Its such a run down place at the moment.

Run down is a bit of soft on wording. Have you tried the exit on George St? The doors, stairs, and tiles are basically gone.

m0nkyman Feb 9, 2008 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackRedGold (Post 3339660)
One of my desired retailers is coming to town!

T&T is going to anchor a development at Hunt Club and Riverside.

We are talking about the supermarket right?

Kitchissippi Mar 15, 2008 11:39 PM

The new Canadian Tire on Carling has opened. Somewhat quietly, as I didn't even know until I passed by it today and saw people going up the escalators. It's one of those setups that have a side escalator for carts and it's kind of weird seeing carts go up and down separately from the shoppers. The store itself seems run of the mill inside, except for the wide open view of Carling Avenue below when you're at the cash registers. The parking lot feels like the lower level of Galleries de Hull. I'll try and snap some photos next time I'm there.

Kitchissippi Mar 16, 2008 10:59 PM

Here's a pano of the store. It's quite a hulk on Carling, but I'm crossing my fingers that it does some good to the bleak sidewalks there. The Mark's Work Wearhouse is certainly unique, with doors to the sidewalk and the parking lot behind. The place is basically a stacked powercentre, with the strip mall part in front and the big box store on top. If others are to follow, Carling could become quite the busy strip.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2089/...b90e1de8_o.jpg

There's a nice amount of natural light inside, and on entering and leaving, you get a view of Carling:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/...c89e9d1c_b.jpg

Aylmer Mar 16, 2008 11:02 PM

I love strip malls that put their parking in THE BACK.

:)

waterloowarrior Mar 16, 2008 11:30 PM

thanks for the update, I was looking forward to seeing that one completed. looks like a great addition to Carling to me.... nice that they have Mark's onto the street. hopefully we'll see some redevelopment of the strip malls along that stretch! any news on what's happening at the old CTC site?