SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | Forks Redevelopment | Parcel 4 - Rail Side Initiative | Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217747)

Biff Apr 3, 2019 1:08 PM

Most of the developments are ready to go for summer or fall, but all are in a holding pattern waiting for the green light to be given by the Forks/City. I have heard there is a bit of frustration from the developers in wanting to get going.

dmacc Apr 3, 2019 1:10 PM

How many projects are we talking about? It sounds like the Forks will be exploding with projects this summer.

Biff Apr 3, 2019 1:30 PM

I know of 6 confirmed developers and at least 8 buildings.

dmacc Apr 3, 2019 1:41 PM

YES!!! that's great news. Are they all apartments or will some of them be condo's? I would assume they would have been trying to sell units if some of them were condo's. Either way I look forward to seeing what these projects look like.

GreyGarden Apr 3, 2019 2:14 PM

Thats great news. Hopefully this gets moving sooner rather then later. I trust the Forks to do this correctly, but I definitely think that the success of this project depends on having at least a small cluster of residential. A building every other year would make this a tough slog I imagine.

Tacheguy Apr 3, 2019 9:56 PM

Should be able to get a beer by the end of May at the outdoor serving bar now under construction in the skate change area in the market building. Apparently you will be able to walk around the Forks site with a beer. This according to one of the forks guys.

hello Apr 3, 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmacc (Post 8528362)
YES!!! that's great news. Are they all apartments or will some of them be condo's? I would assume they would have been trying to sell units if some of them were condo's. Either way I look forward to seeing what these projects look like.

Will be a mix of condo and apartment buildings all with ground floor cru

pspeid Apr 3, 2019 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacheguy (Post 8529049)
Should be able to get a beer by the end of May at the outdoor serving bar now under construction in the skate change area in the market building. Apparently you will be able to walk around the Forks site with a beer. This according to one of the forks guys.

It looks like The Forks doing it's best to stay "current" in the eyes of it's younger customers. Apparently the centre court with beer selection is a very popular place for 20-somethings to hang out (I am told by parents of 20-somethings), and this looks like it's going to further the contemporary "vibe" of the area.

Wigglez Apr 4, 2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 8528327)
Most of the developments are ready to go for summer or fall, but all are in a holding pattern waiting for the green light to be given by the Forks/City. I have heard there is a bit of frustration from the developers in wanting to get going.

Is the holding pattern showing any signs of breaking? How likely is the summer/fall start?

And, if you know/can say, what is the hold up on the green light?

EspionNoir Apr 4, 2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspeid (Post 8529116)
It looks like The Forks doing it's best to stay "current" in the eyes of it's younger customers. Apparently the centre court with beer selection is a very popular place for 20-somethings to hang out (I am told by parents of 20-somethings), and this looks like it's going to further the contemporary "vibe" of the area.

Yes, it’s popular among young people.

EspionNoir Apr 4, 2019 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wigglez (Post 8529171)
Is the holding pattern showing any signs of breaking? How likely is the summer/fall start?

And, if you know/can say, what is the hold up on the green light?

Are you wishing this project fail? It’s so weird the way you are asking it

Wpg_Guy Apr 4, 2019 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspionNoir (Post 8529179)

No I think he is eager to see it get going like the rest of us here, it's been a long time in the planing stages. Their initial plan was to be underway already.

Pinus Apr 4, 2019 1:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspionNoir (Post 8529179)

No, I don't get that from his comment at all. The cynicism that does exist on the Winnipeg threads comes from a couple of specific posters here, which I think we all know who they are specifically.

Labroco Apr 4, 2019 2:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hello (Post 8529086)
Will be a mix of condo and apartment buildings all with ground floor cru

What I am unclear about is the land to be developed part of the Forks or the National Park and federal land. In either case can the land be sold or are these developments be they rental or condos on a long term land lease? While a common model in places like London, it would be unique in Winnipeg. Will this effect the long term financing of these projects?

ywgwalk Apr 4, 2019 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labroco (Post 8529313)
What I am unclear about is the land to be developed part of the Forks or the National Park and federal land. In either case can the land be sold or are these developments be they rental or condos on a long term land lease? While a common model in places like London, it would be unique in Winnipeg. Will this effect the long term financing of these projects?

It is not part of Parks Canada's property.

The PDF linked from this page has a map on Page 8 of the Parks Canada boundary as well as what they consider "The Forks National Historic Site" which I'm surprised is actually all of The Forks and South Pointe:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/mb/f...ion-management

Wpg_Guy Apr 4, 2019 3:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ywgwalk (Post 8529348)
It is not part of Parks Canada's property.

The PDF linked from this page has a map on Page 8 of the Parks Canada boundary as well as what they consider "The Forks National Historic Site" which I'm surprised is actually all of The Forks and South Pointe:

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/mb/f...ion-management

That border is irrelevant in respect to Parks Canada, it's simply outlining what is the property or boundary of The Forks. Parks Canada controls the darker portion including the river walk along the Red.

https://i.imgur.com/RTs5CwI.jpg

Wpg_Guy Apr 4, 2019 4:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Labroco (Post 8529313)

Railside is owned by The Forks, developers would lease the land, similarly to how The Inn At The Forks operates. The Forks is in negotiation to purchase the city owned Parcel 4 land, from what i understand that is part of what has held up the commencement of Railside as The Forks wants to use that lot for parking to make up for the lost spaces..

https://i.imgur.com/hnmArip.jpg

wags_in_the_peg Apr 4, 2019 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspeid (Post 8529116)

I was there Friday night 7pm-9pm and it was packed, i'd say 60% were the under 35 crowd, 20% 35-45, 20% over 45. We are 45-50 and really enjoyed our beers. and I would say 75% of the tables had food, we were definitely in the minority of people not eating. great to see, Spring beers are coming soon!

bomberjet Apr 4, 2019 2:05 PM

Ah right, the parking lot is the hold-up. They need it for staging and to offset the loss of parking from Railside.

Any word on a new parkade?

EdwardTH Apr 4, 2019 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg (Post 8529477)
I was there Friday night 7pm-9pm and it was packed, i'd say 60% were the under 35 crowd, 20% 35-45, 20% over 45. We are 45-50 and really enjoyed our beers. and I would say 75% of the tables had food, we were definitely in the minority of people not eating. great to see, Spring beers are coming soon!

I've been in the Common on like a Tuesday night in the winter and it's packed. To boot, it's packed with cool young people not 50 year-olds with fanny packs like the Forks used to be. But obviously the Forks is dying because rrskylar said so right?