SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Manitoba Highways (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229295)

bomberjet Jul 26, 2021 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9343837)
That stretch of #1 from Deacon to #12 was re-constructed completely about 10 years ago in both directions. Concrete on EB, asphalt on WB.

The chip seal they're doing is part of the process with Asphalt. Maintenance is required and being ~10 years out from the initial work, seems to be about right.

I also drove this stretch of Hwy this weekend. They did the chip seal thing in the travelled lanes. I don't know if they're planning to do anything else. Basically they "topped up" the lanes with a thin coat.

Kinguni Jul 28, 2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9350217)
I also drove this stretch of Hwy this weekend. They did the chip seal thing in the travelled lanes. I don't know if they're planning to do anything else. Basically they "topped up" the lanes with a thin coat.

They've been adding another layer this week.

anthonyk Jul 29, 2021 12:31 PM

Functional design released for PTH 52 through Mitchell (2 miles W of Steinbach)

Hi Res Map

Slide Show

bomberjet Jul 29, 2021 2:56 PM

I was paying some attention to that Mitchell project. IMO they should've closed the Ash street access point and just had one at either end of town. There's no access from Ash to the south side of the highway, so there's really no point in having it.

Not everything needs to be a freeway. But I assume traffic volumes have picked up through there. It's already twinned so they're basically just closing median openings.

anthonyk Jul 29, 2021 3:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9353081)
I was paying some attention to that Mitchell project. IMO they should've closed the Ash street access point and just had one at either end of town. There's no access from Ash to the south side of the highway, so there's really no point in having it.

Not everything needs to be a freeway. But I assume traffic volumes have picked up through there. It's already twinned so they're basically just closing median openings.

I drive through this stretch often and one positive of this plan is 6 lanes in Mitchell so that the cars entering/leaving their driveways aren't interfering with the through lanes.

bomberjet Jul 29, 2021 3:26 PM

Oh ya that's nice with no service roads.

Maybe those houses with access to both maple and the highway should only have access from Maple.

anthonyk Jul 29, 2021 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9353107)
Oh ya that's nice with no service roads.

Maybe those houses with access to both maple and the highway should only have access from Maple.

Either that or a single lane frontage road separated from the two through lanes with a non mountable curb?

EDIT: Something like the north side of Fermor between St. Anne's Road & St. Mary's Road

3de14eec6a Jul 29, 2021 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 9353161)
Either that or a single lane frontage road separated from the two through lanes with a non mountable curb?

EDIT: Something like the north side of Fermor between St. Anne's Road & St. Mary's Road

I swear they had something like that 30 years ago when I was growing up around there.

The whole 'town split by a highway' thing is shitty. People from the south have to cross it to get to any shops. But it's a major artery for people heading to Steinbach from anywhere further.

My suggestion is pedestrian tunnels underneath.

Dengler Avenue Jul 29, 2021 5:03 PM

Hmm… Why not 5 lanes with a median turn lane?

BuildUpWpg Jul 31, 2021 4:45 PM

It's time for MIT and associated MB construction companies to modernize themselves and bring in new technology like below to help with our infrastructure deficit:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/vira...q6F?ocid=wispr

WildCake Jul 31, 2021 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg (Post 9354612)
It's time for MIT and associated MB construction companies to modernize themselves and bring in new technology like below to help with our infrastructure deficit:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/vira...q6F?ocid=wispr

I can't imagine that technology and pace of building would clock in any cheaper than conventional methods. So if we chip at that infrastructure deficit with that expensive technology we either get fewer projects or more financial debt.

As much as winnipegers or manitobans in general love to gripe about construction, there hasn't been any major construction project that has crippled traffic to a point that paying the huge premium for overnight work is worthwhile. Maybe when they replace the st james bridges in the forseeable future couple be an option but that's really it.

anthonyk Jul 31, 2021 5:59 PM

The new chip seal on WB #1 east of Winnipeg sure looks nice and all but man is it ever loud on the tires!!

VANRIDERFAN Jul 31, 2021 9:27 PM

Just crossed into Manitoba from Saskatchewan on Highway 10(SK) - 5(MB). They are almost done repaving from the Manitoba border to Roblin. Coupled with the repaving of 83 from Roblin to Russell that’s a pretty nice chunk of Manitoba highway.

1ajs Aug 1, 2021 5:28 AM

would also help if contractors would stop paving during rain and wait for ground to dry.... causiing lots issues up here with stuff failing befor its finished

bomberjet Aug 3, 2021 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 9354637)
The new chip seal on WB #1 east of Winnipeg sure looks nice and all but man is it ever loud on the tires!!

I drove that highway again this weekend (my diabetic cat gets kenneled in Ste Anne..... yes...)

It is quite loud! Hopefully will quite down after wear.

VANRIDERFAN Aug 3, 2021 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9356226)
I drove that highway again this weekend (my diabetic cat gets kenneled in Ste Anne..... yes...)

It is quite loud! Hopefully will quite down after wear.

It never does. Sorry.

bomberjet Aug 3, 2021 7:52 PM

It seems like something that should be reserved for lesser highways. They should've left it alone and did a mill and fill in a coupe years.

BuildUpWpg Aug 4, 2021 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9356607)
It seems like something that should be reserved for lesser highways. They should've left it alone and did a mill and fill in a coupe years.

I guess we will never get used to MIT's low and inconsistent standards on our highways. One of my more recent gripes is that some secondary highways have a decent gravel shoulder with a white painted line along side of it, while many provincial trunk highways have sections that barely have a shoulder and the white painted lines are sporadic, if they exists at all. My car's lane keeping assist system really hates this.

anthonyk Aug 10, 2021 7:22 PM

Anyone have an idea on when the 16@1 roundabout work will start? Drove by yesterday and there wasn't any equipment on site and it looks as though nothing has begun.

esquire Aug 10, 2021 7:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonyk (Post 9361356)
Anyone have an idea on when the 16@1 roundabout work will start? Drove by yesterday and there wasn't any equipment on site and it looks as though nothing has begun.

Maybe if no one ever mentions it, the roundabout idea will eventually be forgotten and MI can resume planning for an actual grade separated interchange at that intersection?

Otherwise we can probably look forward to this being a regular event, except with semis

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l0K4l...giphy.gif&ct=g