SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Compilations (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   HARRISBURG-LANCASTER-LEBANON-YORK | South Central, PA | Regional Development Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43038)

EastSideHBG Jan 7, 2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Gun (Post 3265288)
Harrisburg is a bit of a suburban city. Evidenced by the fact that we have more parking garage spaces in the city than we have people living in the area. The walk from Tracy to DT isn't that bad, I park my car on the 1700 block of third when I need to stay in town for the day. Tracy is on the 2100 if I remember correctly.

It's still a decent clip for someone in this demographic. And what exactly are you going to walk to, though? You won't be able to find a lot of day-to-day services (e.g. groceries) within walking distance.

Quote:

Quite a bargin.
But my point is that it's really not. You can jump the river and have a house, and still be just as close to many things in the city. You can go into Susquehanna Twp., a little further up into Dauphin... My point is if you need to drive anyway, what's really the difference?

I am all for this idea mind you, and I am not trying to knock it at all; condo living in HBG is LONG overdue. But I think that they have this all wrong, and they should trim the size/prize of the condos and target a whole different demographic. THEN later on if it is a success, you can go for the luxury market...it seems to me as if they have this backwards. I get the feeling they looked at other cities and said, "Hey, it's working there so it can work here." But they are totally missing the YEARS (decades even) it took to get that market and area ripe where you could "justify" that sort of price range.

crs921 Jan 8, 2008 5:20 PM

Harrisburg Skyline Project Rundown

Good idea PA Pride. How do we get this, or something like it, on Page 1 to track progress??? ----Chris

HARRISBURG 2008 SKYLINE PROJECT RUNDOWN

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2352/...64a09c.jpg?v=0

http://www.reynoldsconstruction.com/...cam/netcam.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2306/...b4667f.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2074/...59cda0.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2044/...c0d125.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2084/...a6c0cf.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/...3e73f0.jpg?v=0

Young Gun Jan 8, 2008 5:45 PM

I assume the original poster would need to update it or have your posted moved onto the front page by mods

Moderators? Any help?

Do you have a higher resolution picture of the that skyline photo? I really like it. I think I need to buy that tripod so I can take those night photos. Could you put the link to the webcam in with the UT? I think that would be interesting to see as well. I am getting off work early today. With the nice weather I think it would be an excellent time for some construction updates.

What about that office building that is also on N. Front? Was there any renderings of it? They have already started some site prep on it.

Austinlee Jan 8, 2008 5:54 PM

^Yes, the thread originator (Who is EastsideHBG) must edit his initial post with the info & pics.

CRS921: Thanks for compiling those... Look, it already is awesome to see all those great projects side by side! Impressive.

crs921 Jan 8, 2008 6:40 PM

Jer - I hear it is in the 60s up there today! Not too bad.....

Pics would be great - sounds like the perfect weather for a construction update.

Added the webcam to the rundown. Let me know.

Young Gun Jan 8, 2008 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3268041)
Jer - I hear it is in the 60s up there today! Not too bad.....

Pics would be great - sounds like the perfect weather for a construction update.

Added the webcam to the rundown. Let me know.

Web cam looks good! It is in the 60's not exactly your weather, but refreshing in the middle of winter. I came in early and took a short lunch so I could get out an hour and half early. Plan to ride home with the convertible top down...

EastSideHBG Jan 9, 2008 1:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Pride (Post 3267927)
^Yes, the thread originator (Who is EastsideHBG) must edit his initial post with the info & pics.

CRS921: Thanks for compiling those... Look, it already is awesome to see all those great projects side by side! Impressive.

Screw you guys, I ain't doing jack sh*t! I don't even live in that town anymore!

;) ;) ;)

I updated page 1 w/ the info provided. If you want me to add anything else, please let me know.

Austinlee Jan 9, 2008 2:09 AM

^But you can't deny your roots homeboy! You got the screen name to prove it.

Thanks!

Young Gun Jan 9, 2008 12:52 PM

Some photos

Unfortunately the camara battery was all but dead and died after I took these photos. I will try again today if it is not raining. but for now I got a few pic

Check out photos 102 through 108 below. As feared there is no view of the UT from the west of the city. You should be able to see it from the east from say the YWCA or Reservoir Park. Attempts shall be made.

link

crs921 Jan 10, 2008 2:16 AM

thanks jer - nice pics. wish hu tower was taller, but oh well. if you hear about 210 N Second construction or Aloft construction, let us know.

Young Gun Jan 10, 2008 4:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3271688)
thanks jer - nice pics. wish hu tower was taller, but oh well. if you hear about 210 N Second construction or Aloft construction, let us know.

My pleasure, I have a few of the Judical center from last night, but yet to post them. Sadly the "nice" side of the building faces inward towards the Complex and the side facing 7th street is pretty plain. Too bad it couldn't have had several nice facades like the Daulphin County Courthouse.

There isn't anymovement on either property, although I don't extect 210 N. to have any site prep till the plan is officially approved, at least I wouldn't do any if I was them. I don't actually believe much prep will be needed prior to the construcion of the building because the current buildings will remain standing (at least the facades) and the rest of the site should have been cleaned up when the city had cleared the site.

crs921 Jan 10, 2008 8:55 PM

http://www.harrisburgu.net/uploads/n...1199983384.jpg

Construction Crews Hoist Final Beam Into Place

Jan 10, 2008

The final steel beam for Harrisburg University of Science and Technology’s 16-story Academic Center was hoisted into place on January 10, 2008.

This beam was specially painted in “HU colors” and prepared for the signatures of some fifty remarkable individuals who have contributed their time, talents, and treasures to the University. The beam was signed during the Founder’s Day and Topping-Off Celebration on December 12th when construction reached its highest structural point. The beam will permanently reside as part of the 16th floor structure and, as such, will not be covered with fire proofing. Therefore, this specially-prepared beam will be exposed and the signatures adorning it visible for all time.

The new Academic Center is a 16-story, 371,000 square-foot tower under construction at 326 Market Street stands 194-feet in height. The $73-million building includes 24 classrooms, six scientific teaching labs, six seminar rooms, 12 student team meeting areas, a 125-seat auditorium, and space for 1,600 students. A courtyard will also be included at the base of the Academic Center.

The state-of-the-art facility opens in Winter 2008 will include a 20,000 volume library, wireless internet access capabilities, video-conferencing capabilities, and a multimedia production facility.

The building was designed by Burt, Hill Architects of Butler, PA. The Construction Manager for the project is Reynolds Construction Management, Inc., of Harrisburg. Materials for the project include 10,000 cubic yards of concrete, 260,000 pounds of rebar (steel reinforcement bars), 6 million pounds of structural steel, and 350,000 square feet of metal decking.

Harrisburg University offers an applied science and technology education dedicated to careers, and it is home to the National Science Foundation-funded National Center for Science and Civic Engagement. For more information on the University and its programs, email Connect@HarrisburgU.net or 717.901.5101.

In the photo: Marcus Lingenfelter, Vice President for University Advancement, examines the signatures on the beam moments before it was hoisted into place.

Young Gun Jan 10, 2008 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3273452)
http://www.harrisburgu.net/uploads/n...1199983384.jpg

Construction Crews Hoist Final Beam Into Place

Jan 10, 2008

The final steel beam for Harrisburg University of Science and Technology’s 16-story Academic Center was hoisted into place on January 10, 2008.

This beam was specially painted in “HU colors” and prepared for the signatures of some fifty remarkable individuals who have contributed their time, talents, and treasures to the University.

Just a little bit behind schedule.

MidtownMike Jan 11, 2008 2:59 PM

I thought this was interesting re the PAL building on N. Third St:

http://jerseymike.org/?p=351

PAL Building Update Part Deux

As I reported back in May, groundbreaking was scheduled to begin this past fall on the dilapidated and mostly abandoned Police Athletic League building located at 1110 N Third Street in Midtown Harrisburg.

Developer John Traynor had optimistic goals and tentative plans to resurrect the former youth activity center into a full-fledged arts complex for Midtown Harrisburg comprised of art studios, a performance space, educational facilities, a cafe and, ahem, a bath house.

Fall of 2007 has come and gone with nary a peep from developers Bartlett, Traynor and London, LLC- and a late winter email to John Traynor was replied to with a contact number.

A phone call to Traynor earlier today resulted in more optimistic plans- but no solid dates.

“We closed with the City on November 30th and finally took possession of the building” Traynor explained, “and will be choosing a developer [from outstanding bids] this week.”

He went on to explain that groundbreaking should take place by the end of January or early February.

“I just had a meeting with the city earlier today about them getting some of their stuff out of the building”. He continued. “We didn’t realize how many hoops we’d have to jump through with the architectural review board, the city council and the historical society. All of the plans have been approved so we’ll be full steam ahead [upon selection of a contractor]”

Interestingly, The Patriot News reported that the building had been sold in February of 2007. So is it possible that it took nine months for Bartlett, Traynor and London to close on the deal?

Or is someone not telling the truth?

Time will tell.

In the comments section, this follows:

Comment by john traynor on January 9, 2008 3:48 am

Mike,

We thank you for keeping people up to date. We would also like to explain our position.

When we first saw the Pal Building it had been in City hands and no one wanted it.

Mayor Reed saw the potential of this building and saved it from being razed.

We had a plan, Mayor Reed saw that. He then said do it, and we have gone through the process of putting our plans and ideas through City Government.

This took sometime. Not to mention money and this was before we had title to the building.

We have not asked the city or the State for loans or money. We went forward in the belief that what we planned for this building will be it’s best possible use.

We would privately fund this project and spent over $60,000 just to get all plans and permissions in place.

Without going in to the politics, this building sat for over twenty years. No Love, No Vision, No plan and No one putting anything on the table. All I heard is blight and what is the city doing!

The City spent over $150,000 just to stabilize it. We have paid the money the city invested in this building and now the building will go back on the tax roll!

We are not Developers, Just people willing to take a chance and put our heart, soul and money into this project.

As I told you, everything we have proposed and all our plans have gone before the City and this is public record.

We closed on the building, as of November 30, 2007 and this can be confirmed with the City Lawyer.

We have also entered into an agreement that all profits from the “Townhouse” construction will be used for the renovations for the “Pal Building”.

This we do with full disclosure.

The subdivision plans where approved by City Council on July 3, 2007.

The Townhouse Development is done solely to support and fund the Arts Center.

It was our optimism that drove us to early speculation in completing the renovations and the fact that we did not fully understand the process that comes with buying a building owned by the City and the Citizens of Harrisburg. Not that we are out of touch, but we have good lawyers! (Adler & Adler)

We had to make sure that all plans and permissions where in place.

We are happy to report that from the top down, City Hall, has done nothing but champion and help in this process.

We are excited, moving forward, and we hope that we will have the support of people that really care about Harrisburg………We do!

Thank You for your support. If you or anyone has questions, please feel free to contact me.

info@harrisburgarts.com

P. S. We are not opening a Bathhouse! This is going to be the underground stop on the New Monorail.

Then, if you go to http://www.harrisburgarts.com, you see this:

As of December 1, 2007. We have taken title to the PAL Building and are now in the process of choosing contractors.

The process of getting all the planning permissions and City / State requirements in place, took a little longer then we expected. However we have not lost our excitement for this project and now look forward to breaking ground sometime in January, 2008.

Adjacent to the Pal Building on the Susquehanna and Herr Street corner in what was the Hebrew Gym Building. We will be building three 3000 sq ft Townhouses with internal heated two car garages.

During the winter Months we will be working on the interior of the Building. We hope to have a summer/fall opening. However, we will keep that date close to our chests until we see progress. Be assured, The Midtown Arts Center is on its way and we look forward to welcoming all in 2008!

We thank you for your support.

We remain committed,

John Traynor, Gary Bartlett, & Chuck London

Bartlett, Traynor & London LLC.

EastSideHBG Jan 11, 2008 9:55 PM

Quote:

“I just had a meeting with the city earlier today about them getting some of their stuff out of the building”. He continued. “We didn’t realize how many hoops we’d have to jump through with the architectural review board, the city council and the historical society. All of the plans have been approved so we’ll be full steam ahead [upon selection of a contractor]”
Just for you, danwxman, who argued with me a few pages back when i talked about how difficult the city can be when it comes to projects. :tup:

Xeelee Jan 11, 2008 11:03 PM

Those are some nice buildings.

danwxman Jan 12, 2008 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastSideHBG (Post 3276079)
Just for you, danwxman, who argued with me a few pages back when i talked about how difficult the city can be when it comes to projects. :tup:

Not so sure....these guys from NYC (tax and NIMBY capital of the world) didn't realize how hard it would be to push a project through Harrisburg? Okay.

EastSideHBG Jan 12, 2008 9:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwxman (Post 3277868)
Not so sure....these guys from NYC (tax and NIMBY capital of the world) didn't realize how hard it would be to push a project through Harrisburg? Okay.

LOL

danwxman Jan 12, 2008 9:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastSideHBG (Post 3278096)
What you just said makes absolutely no sense at all, and once again a statement of yours solidifies my point even more. If NYC is the "tax and NIMBY capital of the world" than wouldn't it be veyr normal for them to think that it would be easier to get a project through HBG, and hence why they were so surprised when it was not? You know, exactly like they (and me) just said?!?

:cheers:

I think they were just in over their head and didn't have their financial situation solid.

EastSideHBG Jan 13, 2008 1:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwxman (Post 3278098)
I think they were just in over their head and didn't have their financial situation solid.

But what exactly would that have to do with the hoops they encountered with the architectural review board, the city council and the historical society again?!?

Oh well, I see this will go nowhere and we've both said our peace. Even though you don't live in the city you will defend its ways until the very end and come up with some wacky way to justify it all. Gotta respect that I guess...

:yes:

crs921 Jan 13, 2008 3:24 AM

If Harrisburg didn't make progress so difficult, imagine the potential...............

EastSideHBG Jan 13, 2008 3:22 PM

/\
Yep, and EXACTLY my point! :tup:

crs921 Jan 14, 2008 2:48 AM

cool night shot...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2099/...992bf5.jpg?v=0

crs921 Jan 14, 2008 4:12 PM

webcam - foggy morning...

http://www.whptv.com/media/news/f/f/...a/Original.jpg

Young Gun Jan 14, 2008 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3281347)

it was quite miserable out this morning. espically on 4 hours sleep...

crs921 Jan 14, 2008 6:14 PM

more night shots.......

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2135/...e07e94.jpg?v=0

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2066/...8ebf1a.jpg?v=0

Young Gun Jan 16, 2008 1:06 PM

2 NYC men charged in fatal Hall Manor shooting

I don't mean to say that Harrisburgers aren't violent themselves, but why does it seem that half the crimes reported or drug bust come from out of town people? I remember the hold up last summer with the kid with the assault rifle and several murders all commited by people the media reported as from NYC. At least Harrisburg will report on the criminals so they can't get away.

2 NYC men charged in fatal Hall Manor shooting
by BY IRVIN KITTRELL III, Of The Patriot-News Tuesday January 15, 2008, 11:45 PM
Two New York City men who were arrested hours after Queinton Robinson was shot to death Jan. 7 in Hall Manor were charged with homicide Tuesday, Harrisburg police reported.

Woodens B. Joseph, 18, and Lahme Perkins, 21, were arraigned Tuesday on criminal homicide, burglary and weapon charges, police said. Both were returned to Dauphin County Prison without bail. The two have been in the prison since Jan. 7.

They are charged with shooting and killing Robinson, who was five days shy of his 20th birthday, while the three men were drinking and smoking cigars about 1 p.m. in an abandoned Hall Manor playground, police reported.

Robinson was pronounced death at the scene.

Police said they found seven empty shell casings from two handguns, a 32-caliber and a 40-caliber weapon. Robinson was not armed, they said.

Gunpowder burns were found on Robinson's body, police said.

Students at nearby Foose Elementary School were kept inside the building after the shooting, which happened after lunchtime recess. No students were outside when the shooting occurred.

Joseph and Perkins ran after the shooting, and witnesses showed police where they were heading, officials said.

The men broke into a nearby home, in the 1600 block of Putnam Street, in an attempt to hide, police said.

Police surrounded the house within minutes of the shooting, and the men surrendered after a two-hour standoff.

Police held the two in prison on burglary charges as investigators gathered enough information to charge the men with homicide, police said.

Preliminary hearings for the two will be scheduled.

klingy04 Jan 16, 2008 2:41 PM

More on the Chambers Hill development.

From the Central Penn Business Journal...

Retail developer aims for Swatara Township
By Jessica Bair and Eric Veronikis
1/4/2008

The developer of Silver Spring Square shopping center in Cumberland County has shifted its midstate focus to the East Shore.
Florida-based Regency Centers is drafting plans for an approximately 700,000-square-foot shopping center in Swatara Township, Dauphin County.

The $90 million project, called Swatara Marketplace, would be built along U.S. Route 322, just west of Mushroom Hill Road.

It would resemble the 500,000-square-foot Silver Spring Square, said Powell Arms, vice president of investments at Regency. Regency completed Silver Spring Square in Silver Spring Township last year.

Wegmans, Target, Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond and Panera Bread are among the retailers at the Cumberland County shopping center on the Carlisle Pike. Tenants have not been solicited for Swatara Marketplace, Arms said.

“Right now, we’re trying to identify what the off-site improvements need to be to make the traffic work there,” Arms said. “We will solicit (retail) interest once the traffic issues are worked out.”

Wegmans Food Markets Inc. has not announced intentions to build in Swatara Marketplace, but that doesn’t mean the company will not build there, said Jeanne Colleluori, spokeswoman for the Rochester, N.Y.-based grocery-store chain.

Silver Spring Square is the first Regency shopping center in which Wegmans opened, Colleluori said. Wegmans plans to open another store in a Regency shopping center under construction in Manassas, Va., she said.

When Regency executives pitched Swatara Marketplace to Dauphin County Commissioner George Hartwick III, they said they hoped to attract a large grocery store like Wegmans to the site, Hartwick said.

Hartwick is oversight commissioner for the county’s office of economic development. He supports the development of the shopping center because Swatara Township houses other successful shopping and industrial centers, he said.

“Swatara Township has been pro-growth, and that’s one of the reasons they have kept low property-tax rates,” Hartwick said. “I know that with this type of development you want to make sure they are taking care of all the traffic concerns. They talked about an access road that would ease congestion on 322.”

Traffic changes and other off-site improvements should cost about $23 million, but that figure could change, Arms said.

Plans for the project, which would create about 2,600 jobs, have not been formally submitted to the township, Arms said. A construction timeline is not yet available, he said.

“Overall, what we’d be trying to do is improve traffic flow through that commuter corridor, and widening is one of the things contemplated,” Arms said.

Without road improvements, the project would not work, said state Rep. John Payne (R-Dauphin County).

Route 322 is already congested during peak travel times, and to introduce more traffic there without building an easement road or another traffic easement, such as a cloverleaf, would not work, he said.

Payne does not want to see more red lights along the highway near the proposed site, he said. Existing red lights already snarl traffic, he said.

“I’m very supportive of the project,” Payne said. “That kind of commercial development is a good thing. It’s a good strip for commercial growth; there’s nothing wrong with that. It creates a huge tax base.”

Regency is proposing a tax-increment-financing partnership made up of the company, the Central Dauphin School District board, Dauphin County and Swatara Township.

Together, the groups would issue debt to help fund the necessary transportation improvements, Arms said. Part of the real estate taxes that the development would generate would help pay that debt, he said.

Paul Cornell, administrator of Swatara Township, said he believes the township’s board of commissioners, the county and the school district would all support such a partnership.

“When I first arrived here 11 years ago, there was a request for a shopping center. That request has never gone away,” Cornell said.

The 120 acres that Regency wants to develop have always been zoned commercial, Cornell said. The property has never been developed because it is practically landlocked between highways and is difficult to access, he said.

Regency worked with Penn-DOT to come up with a transportation-improvement plan that would relieve those issues and keep the bulk of traffic away from area residential neighborhoods, Cornell said. The company has also approached the owners of neighboring properties to work out agreements should it need to purchase the properties, he said.

“What’s not to like? They really did their homework,” Cornell said. “They have really gone out of the way to impact the community the least that they can.”

Young Gun Jan 16, 2008 3:13 PM

I took a look at that area and they wouldn't really have to rip out large portions of the hill. It is a little bit of a hill, but most of the hill tapers back from the road near that intersection.

MidtownMike Jan 16, 2008 5:44 PM

Two things about that plan:

1.) I know someone scoffed earlier at my point that Wegman's will be there. It's going to happen. Let me put it this way: Erie has two Wegman's locations...Harrisburg will definitely have two Wegman's locations. They need another one.

2.) That will wipe out the shopping plaza that sits across Mushroom Hill Road from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club...the one with Weis and some other small stores.

danwxman Jan 16, 2008 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidtownMike (Post 3286687)
Two things about that plan:

1.) I know someone scoffed earlier at my point that Wegman's will be there. It's going to happen. Let me put it this way: Erie has two Wegman's locations...Harrisburg will definitely have two Wegman's locations. They need another one.

2.) That will wipe out the shopping plaza that sits across Mushroom Hill Road from Wal-Mart/Sam's Club...the one with Weis and some other small stores.

Erie was the location of the first Wegmans in Pennsylvania. They have been there for over 20 years, that's why there are two stores there. The company is VERY slow at building new stores, and for good reason. There will not be another store in the Harrisburg area until at least 2011 at the earliest.

The current plan is to build a second store at a location in Susquehanna township I cannot disclose...but of course that can change.

My idea would be for a Wegmans in South Harrisburg near 83 once the southern gateway is finished, imagine a new urbanist type shopping plaza with easy access to the east and west shores.

Young Gun Jan 16, 2008 7:30 PM

I can't imagine that they would have construction finished on the shopping plaza much before 2011. It is in its very early stages of planning now. Which means that construction would start no sooner than early '09 They need to build a 4 lane road, and the plaza. If the road is going in there will need to be enviromental studies....

EastSideHBG Jan 16, 2008 10:18 PM

Oh my goodness, another strip mall in the Harrisburg area right near other older strip malls...and to think, this new one will probably have stores you can find a mere few miles away too...HOW EXCITING!!! :banana: :worship:

And yes, I am being sarcastic. :slob:

Mrmidtown Jan 17, 2008 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danwxman (Post 3286753)
The current plan is to build a second store at a location in Susquehanna township I cannot disclose...

Old Earthlink building??? Am I close?

EastSideHBG Jan 18, 2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmidtown (Post 3287881)
Old Earthlink building??? Am I close?

Hey speaking of, is that still empty?

crs921 Jan 18, 2008 6:43 PM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2194/...db7ee1.jpg?v=0

Evergrey Jan 18, 2008 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3291769)

whoa... :tup:

Young Gun Jan 19, 2008 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3291769)

The skyline from that angle just begs for a building of at least 500 ft.

Wheelingman04 Jan 20, 2008 12:53 AM

Wonderful photo.

Evergrey Jan 20, 2008 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Gun (Post 3293392)
The skyline from that angle just begs for a building of at least 500 ft.

no way... that would block the view of the beautiful mountains!

PaSkyX Jan 20, 2008 2:28 AM

I couldn't really imagine a Whole Foods going in there, but that would be interesting, to say the least. Actually, I'd really prefer to have an IKEA go in, but there's not really a good chance of that happening.

shload Jan 20, 2008 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaSkyX (Post 3294534)
I couldn't really imagine a Whole Foods going in there, but that would be interesting, to say the least. Actually, I'd really prefer to have an IKEA go in, but there's not really a good chance of that happening.

Man, I see so many spots where I would love to see a Trader Joe's!
JS

crs921 Jan 21, 2008 12:01 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2217/...bf5ab1.jpg?v=0

crs921 Jan 21, 2008 12:02 AM

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/...624fe24f_b.jpg

Rufus Jan 21, 2008 12:06 AM

Wow. That last shot looks almost like a big city.

Wheelingman04 Jan 21, 2008 4:40 AM

That pic is amazing.

Young Gun Jan 21, 2008 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 3296105)
Wow. That last shot looks almost like a big city.

It is the biggest little city I've ever seen. Really acts much larger than its 50k population.

Evergrey Jan 21, 2008 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Gun (Post 3296997)
It is the biggest little city I've ever seen. Really acts much larger than its 50k population.

That's because we all know that Harrisburg, like every other Pennsylvania city, is severely "underbounded" and its official incorporated boundaries do not come close to reflecting the reality of the "Real Harrisburg". Harrisburg is basically equivalent to a Chattanooga (city pop. 168,000) , Lexington (city pop. 275,000) or Wichita (city pop. 357,000). All of these cities may have drastically different "city populations"... but they are all in reality the same size. Pennsylvania has the most fragmented system of municipal governance in the country, which results in artificially small city populations. That's why we tend to use Urbanized Area or Metropolitan Statistical Area populations to discuss cities on here. It's actually really unfortunate that Pennsylvania has such a fragmented system that features such tiny core city municipalities that are woefully unable to raise sufficient revenues and wield sufficient power. But we'll all be long dead before the state government looks at this issue seriously.

Nice pics, btw.

Young Gun Jan 21, 2008 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evergrey (Post 3297013)
That's because we all know that Harrisburg, like every other Pennsylvania city, is severely "underbounded" and its official incorporated boundaries do not come close to reflecting the reality of the "Real Harrisburg". Harrisburg is basically equivalent to a Chattanooga (city pop. 168,000) , Lexington (city pop. 275,000) or Wichita (city pop. 357,000). All of these cities may have drastically different "city populations"... but they are all in reality the same size. Pennsylvania has the most fragmented system of municipal governance in the country, which results in artificially small city populations. That's why we tend to use Urbanized Area or Metropolitan Statistical Area populations to discuss cities on here. It's actually really unfortunate that Pennsylvania has such a fragmented system that features such tiny core city municipalities that are woefully unable to raise sufficient revenues and wield sufficient power. But we'll all be long dead before the state government looks at this issue seriously.

Nice pics, btw.

Yes, someday people will realize it. I think somebody should mention it to Mayor Reed. I think he would be more than happy to weild his power and might try to make some changes to the system. Think of the taxes he would levy on the surrounding municipalities

About 2 months ago I tried to find a copy of the laws on the internet regarding municipal boundries but found nothing. Would anybody with better search skills be able to help me out? I was really curious about the actual law

Young Gun Jan 21, 2008 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crs921 (Post 3296097)

Where do you find these photos? Is there a full size of this one? Would it be ok for me to have it printed poster size? With a nice frame it would look awesome on my wall