SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Riverline | 8 Towers | 600FT - 500FT(X2) - 380FT(X2) - 242FT(X2) - 300FT~ (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221826)

Klippenstein Mar 22, 2023 2:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charmy2 (Post 9898392)
Wait they are building more towers in this area?

Here's the site plan. Sub Area D has been built. Sub Area E is under construction. The rest are future development.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 9409107)
Here's a colorized version I made of the PD site plan:

https://i.imgur.com/gRThQnp.jpg

Randomguy34 Mar 22, 2023 2:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 9898401)
The top of the building drives me crazy. It's really sad they didn't put more effort to blend the top with the rest of the building. It's a really ugly stump.

I'm starting to appreciate how incomprehensible this building's design is. I no longer see this as something ugly, rather something ominous and perplexing. People hundreds of years from now will be walking along the river, staring at this building, and thinking to themselves, "Why the hell does this building exist?" People will question if an architect even designed this building, because there's no way an architect could possibly design a building with such an absurd appearance.

It'll be Chicago's version of the monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Koodoo25 Mar 22, 2023 4:12 PM

Like others have said, it's really striking how drastically the developers changed directions on this. The original renderings of the complex had a cohesive, if kind of uninspired, theme of white buildings with horizontal ribbons of glass. This is... certainly not that. Interested to see what the rest of the towers will end up looking like. I just hope the final complex won't end up looking like an incoherent mishmash.

It's certainly better-looking in person than in photos. I just have a long-standing irrational gripe against the style of offsetting the windows in this fashion. As far as that trend goes, I think this building does it better than most. Better than NYC's Alta Long Island City or 300 Ashland... or Detroit's The Exchange... or even Chicago's 1611 W. Division (Hope I'm not blaspheming!)... or... I could keep going but I think I've been enough of a sourpuss. Long story short, this building is fine.

Chi-Sky21 Mar 22, 2023 4:34 PM

Hopefully whatever they build at the north end is much better and blocks the view of this turd.

SolarWind Mar 22, 2023 10:18 PM

The Reed at Southbank - 234 W Polk

March 20, 2023

Toasty Joe Mar 23, 2023 3:45 AM

Damn, CBOT could use some love (a nice powerwashing)

ithakas Apr 3, 2023 12:23 AM

I was looking for something on ChiStreetWork and found this:

WEI PROJECT 58225299 CONSISTS OF CONDUCTING THIRTEEN SOIL BORINGS ADVANCED TO TERMINATION DEPTHS OF APPROXIMATELY 100 FEET BELOW GROUND SURFACE WITHIN THE EMPTY LOT AREA TO CLASSIFY SOIL CHARACTERISTICS FOR FUTURE DESIGN OF SITE ENHANCEMENTS. AN INFORMATION RETRIEVAL, IR-120194, WAS PROCESSED AND A SUBSEQUENT INVESTIGATION TO DETERMINE/CONFIRM THE LOCATIONS OF UNDERGROUND FREIGHT TUNNELS LOCATED ON THE SITE. EACH BORING WILL BE A NOMINAL 8-INCH DIAMETER AND BACKFILLED UPON COMPLETION. APPROXIMATE LOCATION OF THE JOBSITE IS BOUNDED BY THE CHICAGO RIVER TO THE WEST, WEST HARRISON STREET TO THE NORTH, SOUTH WELLS STREET TO THE EAST AND POLK STREET TO THE SOUTH.

BVictor1 Apr 3, 2023 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 9908632)
I was looking for something on ChiStreetWork and found this:

WEI PROJECT 58225299 CONSISTS OF CONDUCTING THIRTEEN SOIL BORINGS ADVANCED TO TERMINATION DEPTHS OF APPROXIMATELY 100 FEET BELOW GROUND SURFACE WITHIN THE EMPTY LOT AREA TO CLASSIFY SOIL CHARACTERISTICS FOR FUTURE DESIGN OF SITE ENHANCEMENTS. AN INFORMATION RETRIEVAL, IR-120194, WAS PROCESSED AND A SUBSEQUENT INVESTIGATION TO DETERMINE/CONFIRM THE LOCATIONS OF UNDERGROUND FREIGHT TUNNELS LOCATED ON THE SITE. EACH BORING WILL BE A NOMINAL 8-INCH DIAMETER AND BACKFILLED UPON COMPLETION. APPROXIMATE LOCATION OF THE JOBSITE IS BOUNDED BY THE CHICAGO RIVER TO THE WEST, WEST HARRISON STREET TO THE NORTH, SOUTH WELLS STREET TO THE EAST AND POLK STREET TO THE SOUTH.

Interesting... Preliminary steps for the next building. Confirm the tunnel locations and then grout it. I hope they do a better job concealing the garage for the next tower.

SIGSEGV Apr 3, 2023 4:18 AM

kind of menacing looking down franklin (yesterday)
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

Roy_Batty Apr 4, 2023 1:23 AM

The top of the building makes my eyes suffer :yuck:

BVictor1 Apr 27, 2023 3:37 AM

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/render...&ts=1682566556

twister244 Apr 27, 2023 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy_Batty (Post 9909450)
The top of the building makes my eyes suffer :yuck:

Apparently so does the bottom...

SolarWind May 15, 2023 2:46 AM

The Reed at Southbank - 234 W Polk

May 9, 2023

twister244 May 15, 2023 12:12 PM

Definitely not a fan of how this one turned out......

kolchak May 15, 2023 3:41 PM

I like it enough. Positive is that it's a big brawny building that uses all of it's available footprint. The facade is like a new age version of a black Mies. Negative - the base is not good but at least the podium lies under and not adjacent to the tower.

gebs May 16, 2023 3:38 PM

I don't know. I appreciate that it's different, but the randomized facade looks like a low-resolution computer screen whose pixels are trying their hardest, especially at a distance. Hope future developments offer something better.

r18tdi May 16, 2023 3:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 9945385)
I don't know. I appreciate that it's different, but the randomized facade looks like a low-resolution computer screen whose pixels are trying their hardest, especially at a distance. Hope future developments offer something better.

The architect forgot to turn on anti-aliasing?

BlueStar May 16, 2023 5:32 PM

According to the website apartment reservations, first available date for move-ins is May 26. Seems they have less than two weeks to complete a majority of the public space work.

dropdeaded209 May 16, 2023 5:53 PM

what I am having trouble understanding is why those big black lines are placed where they are anyway. the are indeed random and therefore just blocking out space that would have otherwise been vision glass?

sentinel May 16, 2023 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 (Post 9945567)
what I am having trouble understanding is why those big black lines are placed where they are anyway. the are indeed random and therefore just blocking out space that would have otherwise been vision glass?

It's just the location of the vision glass floor to floor, in that the plan layouts may not differ much at all, just that some floors have vision glass probably 2' (+/-) over from floors below or above.