SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Soccer in Canada | Canada Hosting the 2026 World Cup (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217816)

esquire Jan 10, 2022 7:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9498514)
CPL Commissioner Dave Clanachan has stepped aside in order to lead the new Windsor expansion team in the league.

CPL expansions are now confirmed for Saskatoon, Vancouver, and Windsor in the coming years.

Is there any significance to the fact that Detroit doesn't have a MLS team? i.e. is the perception such that a CPL club in Windsor wouldn't be competing with a bigger, flashier, more established MLS club across the bridge, or does that not really factor into the equation here? I'm not familiar with Windsor but it seldom ever comes up in terms of league expansions, so I'm curious as to what's driving this.

Great news in general though, it's nice to see the CPL gaining momentum.

JHikka Jan 10, 2022 7:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9498531)
Is there any significance to the fact that Detroit doesn't have a MLS team? i.e. is the perception such that a CPL club in Windsor wouldn't be competing with a bigger, flashier, more established MLS club across the bridge, or does that not really factor into the equation here? I'm not familiar with Windsor but it seldom ever comes up in terms of league expansions, so I'm curious as to what's driving this.

Clanachan is from Windsor. Use that information as you will.

I think it's an interesting market...it's decently-sized, has a centrally-located stadium at the University of Windsor, is near to a big market next door in Detroit, and is lacking a lot of competition in the pro sport market. I think KWC or London would make more sense for teams at the moment but if Windsor can capture an 'Essex County'-wide branding then all the power to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9498531)
Great news in general though, it's nice to see the CPL gaining momentum.

Indeed. There's hurdles that need to be cleared (like sorting out what to do with the players union) but on the whole there's been good growth. There's also been solid growth at the semi-pro level, too, and CPL has its fingers in that. L1O, PLSQ, and soon BCL1 will be much stronger leagues than they would have been five or ten years ago.

elly63 Jan 10, 2022 8:09 PM

David not expecting move during January transfer window
Matt Scianitti TSN January 10 2022

Jonathan David’s agent tells TSN not to expect the Canadian striker to make a big-money move during the January transfer window. While there are several high-profile suitors for David, Nick Mavromaras said his client’s current team, Lille, haven’t received any offers.

“There are no official offers on the table – it’s still the month of January,” Mavromaras said. “To be quite open, we don’t expect any movement in this window.”

David helped Lille secure the Ligue 1 title last season. The defending French champions currently sit 10th in the league, but David is Ligue 1’s top goal scorer with 12 and has scored 16 goals in all competitions this season.

Mavromaras said his client is focused on helping Lille climb the standings while also preparing for a Round of 16 Champions League matchup against Chelsea in February.

“From both sides [David’s future transfer and Lille’s current season], Jonathan will benefit from a summer move because there is a massive game against Chelsea in the Champions League, and at the same time, Lille absolutely needs his help to get to the European spots for next season,” Mavromaras said.

“For now we don’t have anything concrete, but meetings are ongoing for sure”

David, 21, signed a five-year contract with Lille in 2020, but TSN reported last summer that Liverpool was keeping an eye on David’s progress. Arsenal and Real Madrid are also now rumoured to be interested.

Mavromaras said David is unbothered by the increasing attention surrounding his future.

“The most important is to leave the player to do his business on the pitch. Constant work and constant meetings with clubs on my side – as we’re supposed to do as agents – to see where this next step may be,” Mavromaras said.

“And we feel ready and Jonathan feels ready that this step should happen in the summer – knock on wood that he remains healthy for the rest of the season, of course.”

David tested positive for COVID-19 early in January but the striker recovered well.

Mavromaras said whenever he speaks with potential suitors for his client, he and David have a list of questions they want clubs to answer.

“The questions that we ask clubs are simple: What’s the project [club ambition]?" Mavromaras said. "There are a lot of questions that we go through when we meet with a club, and the one that checks the most boxes will be the one that will be his next destination.”

At the end of January, David is expected to meet up with the Canadian men’s national team to continue the push to qualify for the 2022 World Cup.

Canada is scheduled to play in Honduras on Jan. 27, in Hamilton against the United States on Jan. 30, and in El Salvador on Feb. 2.

elly63 Jan 12, 2022 8:03 PM

Rumours starting up again of Eustaquio to first place Porto (ahead of Sporting and Benfica)

https://i.imgur.com/XjkQadn.png

trueviking Jan 12, 2022 8:24 PM

^ just a matter of time....Porto is ok but I'm hoping for Italy.

Proof Sheet Jan 13, 2022 3:10 PM

Well there goes my DAZN subscription

https://financialpost.com/pmn/press-...22-2023-season

I wonder if TSN or Sportsnet bid. Also no word on who has Champions League/Europa League rights.

savevp Jan 13, 2022 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proof Sheet (Post 9501905)

I wonder if TSN or Sportsnet bid. Also no word on who has Champions League/Europa League rights.

I can't help but think this and the previous dazn deal are incredibly short sighted for the Prem. Canada has a huge number of casual EPL fans who won't pay for subscription services but who do have a club they support any might buy the odd shirt, or tickets when across the pond. These are lucrative advertising targets. This could hurt the long term popularity if the league in Canada.

Proof Sheet Jan 13, 2022 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savevp (Post 9502128)
I can't help but think this and the previous dazn deal are incredibly short sighted for the Prem. Canada has a huge number of casual EPL fans who won't pay for subscription services but who do have a club they support any might buy the odd shirt, or tickets when across the pond. These are lucrative advertising targets. This could hurt the long term popularity if the league in Canada.

I know many people that you describe. Many jump on the bandwagon and its inherent flag waving during the World Cup or Euros and then want to start watching when league games restart. If it is on an obscure internet channel they won't pay.

If it is a similar price to DAZN it is still a lot less than watching in the UK and technically legally none of the Saturday games on at 10 am eastern are allowed to be shown on TV in the UK. Unless you know a guy..nudge, nudge.

JHikka Jan 13, 2022 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proof Sheet (Post 9501905)

Champions League has a one year extension on DAZN for next year IIRC.

Fubo has a tie-in with OneSoccer, as well.

Proof Sheet Jan 13, 2022 8:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JHikka (Post 9502320)
Champions League has a one year extension on DAZN for next year IIRC.

Fubo has a tie-in with OneSoccer, as well.

https://www.fubo.tv/welcome?gclid=Cj...oaAlw0EALw_wcB Also Nations League games if they are important to you.

I just have DAZN for the Premier League for 90% of my viewing of it. The 'shoulder programming' which comes from Premier League productions are mainly puff pieces and I gather Fubo will pick that up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pundits and commentators we see will continue as they are part of Premier League Productions whose games FUBO has probably bought. Hopefully more Seema Jaswal :Dand less Ian Wright/Michael Owen/Tim Sherwood.

AuxTown Jan 14, 2022 2:55 PM

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/alp...itis-1.6314813

Quote:

Canadian soccer star Alphonso Davies has heart muscle issue after bout with COVID-19

Alphonso Davies's return from a bout of COVID-19 has been put on hold with Bayern Munich saying the Canadian soccer star shows signs of an inflammation of the heart muscle.

The 21-year-old from Edmonton has been sidelined, with his participation in doubt for Canada's World Cup qualifiers later this month.

Bayern manager Julian Nagelsmann told a pre-match news conference Friday that the problem was detected in the follow-up examination that all players who have had COVID undergo.

"He'll sit out training until further notice. He won't be available, also in the coming weeks," Nagelsmann said in German.

"The ultrasound shows this myocarditis isn't so dramatic, but it's a sign of myocarditis. Still, it has to heal and that will definitely take some time," he added.
What a nightmare! I would love to know his vaccination status. We know COVID infections tend to be much more severe in the unvaccinated and result in complications like myocarditis at a higher rate. Sports teams in Europe have caught onto the fact that getting COVID has been more much of a problem for their players than getting everyone immunized. Let's hope this is short-lived and he is available at least for the March WCQ window if now the end of this month!

HomerSPC Jan 14, 2022 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuxTown (Post 9503129)

What a nightmare! I would love to know his vaccination status. We know COVID infections tend to be much more severe in the unvaccinated and result in complications like myocarditis at a higher rate. Sports teams in Europe have caught onto the fact that getting COVID has been more much of a problem for their players than getting everyone immunized. Let's hope this is short-lived and he is available at least for the March WCQ window if now the end of this month!

Fully vaccinated. There was only a handful of Bayern players who were not vaccinated, and Davies was certainly not one of them.

AuxTown Jan 14, 2022 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomerSPC (Post 9503176)
Fully vaccinated. There was only a handful of Bayern players who were not vaccinated, and Davies was certainly not one of them.

:cheers:

bridgeoftea Jan 14, 2022 5:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuxTown (Post 9503290)
:cheers:

Wonder if we get a CPL 2 or second division of the CPL in "smaller" markets. Could have a west and east division too for ease of travel purposes.

svlt Jan 14, 2022 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuxTown (Post 9503129)

Ugh that's brutal especially if he can't play the next 3 WCQ games especially the away leg in Honduras...

JHikka Jan 14, 2022 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svlt (Post 9503651)
Ugh that's brutal especially if he can't play the next 3 WCQ games especially the away leg in Honduras...

He has a medical issue in his heart - he won't be leaving Germany, let alone travelling overseas to Honduras and El Salvador...

In other news, FC Edmonton's Easton Ongaro has signed in the Romanian first division. 25 goals in 55 CPL appearances.

elly63 Jan 15, 2022 2:15 AM

https://i.imgur.com/5aJ8hU5.png

elly63 Jan 15, 2022 11:16 PM

Portsmouth 1-2 MK Dons: Theo Corbeanu scores stunning first goal for visitors
skysports.com January 15 2022

Theo Corbeanu scored a stunning first MK Dons goal to fire his side to 2-1 victory at Portsmouth and end the hosts’ 10-match unbeaten run in League One.

Wolves loanee Corbeanu doubled the visitors' lead on the stroke of half-time with a ferocious strike from the edge of the area that crashed into the net off the underside of the crossbar.

elly63 Jan 16, 2022 3:55 AM

Wednesday fans were upset when Theo Corbeanu was allowed to leave, now it looks like he has taken up where he left off as an instant MK Dons fan favourite. This is quite the introduction (ok, second game) Seems likely he will get the callup for the next qualifiers. Start video at 1:00

Video Link

elly63 Jan 18, 2022 4:03 PM

Eustáquio and FC Porto, Take 2: Dragons want to close the transfer
Pedro Jorge da Cunha zerozero-pt January 18 2022

Stephen Eustáquio is the midfielder chosen by FC Porto to succeed Sérgio Oliveira. The transfer was very close to being completed last summer, but the excessive number of options for the blue and white midfield - Uribe, Vitinha, Grujic, Bruno Costa and Sérgio - ended up postponing, but not making it impossible, the change of the international Canadian.

According to what it was possible to know, the negotiations between the parties are progressing at a good pace and Sérgio Conceição asks for a quick definition. The Dragons are betting on a loan with immediate effect and a mandatory purchase clause to be exercised in the summer.

Contacted by zerozero , Stephen Eustáquio's representative prefers not to explicitly mention the name of FC Porto, but admits that this is "a perfect time" for the 25-year-old to take the next step.

“Stephen is ready. There are many possibilities, but the most important is to underline that he is ready to take another step. The World Cup is coming, Canada can be present and 2022 can be a great year for him", said Manuel Tomás, who has been following the athlete for many years.

“His career has been like that. Eustáquio was comfortable at Torreense and the good discomfort of jumping to Leixões arose; then the same thing for Chaves and Cruz Azul, where he had a serious injury. He bet on Paços de Ferreira when the club was fighting for maintenance, he likes to be there, but even before the pandemic he had several options to leave.”

Stephen Eustáquio divided his training between Nazarenos and União de Leiria, despite being born in Canada, where his parents emigrated. He is in his third season at Paços de Ferreira (73 games/3 goals) and has a contract at Mata Real until 2024.

FC Porto intends to catch him in January and even César Peixoto has already joked about the situation . Take two of a relationship that has everything to work out.