SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austin (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=446)
-   -   AUSTIN | Project Updates Thread Part II (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208918)

wwmiv Jul 23, 2023 8:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IluvATX (Post 9997922)
From a framing standpoint, soundproofing walls is very inexpensive. I don’t see how this thing will cost $250 million to build.

Really? At the high end, soundproofing can cost upwards of $35 per square foot of surface. If you are adjacent to high activity corridors, both roadways and a railroad, on all sides, then you’re not only boxed in to providing high-end soundproofing on all exterior walls but also there’s also the soundproofing in between the units. At the high-end, wood framing itself costs $20 per square foot. Obviously a structure like this is going to cost more being multifamily and likely not entirely wood framing, but taking your comment literally I just don’t see how these numbers suggests that high-end soundproofing is “very inexpensive” from a framing standpoint.

Maybe I stretched by saying “big” but it is certainly a factor.

IluvATX Jul 23, 2023 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 9998179)
Really? At the high end, soundproofing can cost upwards of $35 per square foot of surface. If you are adjacent to high activity corridors, both roadways and a railroad, on all sides, then you’re not only boxed in to providing high-end soundproofing on all exterior walls but also there’s also the soundproofing in between the units. At the high-end, wood framing itself costs $20 per square foot. Obviously a structure like this is going to cost more being multifamily and likely not entirely wood framing, but taking your comment literally I just don’t see how these numbers suggests that high-end soundproofing is “very inexpensive” from a framing standpoint.

Maybe I stretched by saying “big” but it is certainly a factor.

I don’t know what kind of soundproofing you googled and somehow came up with $35 per square foot, but that’s not how it works in reality and the cost of soundproofing these units would be very minimal to the overall cost.

ILUVSAT Jul 24, 2023 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IluvATX (Post 9997922)
From a framing standpoint, soundproofing walls is very inexpensive. I don’t see how this thing will cost $250 million to build.

Roughly $1 million per unit in construction cost does seem expensive (especially for a low-rise project). However, overall construction costs are going through the roof and it also looks like all of the parking will be below grade - which is expensive to do.

Regarding any units facing north...maybe all the entrances to the units will be on the north-facing façade?

Riverranchdrone Jul 24, 2023 6:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVSAT (Post 9998619)
Roughly $1 million per unit in construction cost does seem expensive (especially for a low-rise project). However, overall construction costs are going through the roof and it also looks like all of the parking will be below grade - which is expensive to do.

Regarding any units facing north...maybe all the entrances to the units will be on the north-facing façade?

This is so true. The company I work for applied for tax discounts so we could build a new building for extra FAB space. But that fell through and with new construction costs going through the roof, it is now more cost effective to design the current building to include more FAV space then to build a whole new building.

wwmiv Jul 24, 2023 8:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IluvATX (Post 9998182)
I don’t know what kind of soundproofing you googled and somehow came up with $35 per square foot, but that’s not how it works in reality and the cost of soundproofing these units would be very minimal to the overall cost.

Well, for a layperson Googling is all we have. So I’d appreciate it if you would bring something more concrete rather than berate me since you clearly know more—don’t be selfish, be egalitarian. If I am wrong, show me. Don’t just say so and expect someone to rely on the fallacy of an argument from authority.

myBrain Jul 24, 2023 10:38 PM

It's ok but it really lacks architectural ambition. These are going to be very visible from our classic western skyline view, would be a great opportunity to make a statement. They wouldn't even be remarkable in the Domain.

IluvATX Jul 25, 2023 1:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwmiv (Post 9998812)
Well, for a layperson Googling is all we have. So I’d appreciate it if you would bring something more concrete rather than berate me since you clearly know more—don’t be selfish, be egalitarian. If I am wrong, show me. Don’t just say so and expect someone to rely on the fallacy of an argument from authority.

Usually soundproofing is either insulation, firewalls, or building spaced/staggered walls and not some kind of padding like in a recording studio. I honestly don’t think they’re going to do anything special in this case and will probably let the residents find out the hard way. :shrug:

ILUVSAT Jul 25, 2023 5:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myBrain (Post 9998965)
It's ok but it really lacks architectural ambition. These are going to be very visible from our classic western skyline view, would be a great opportunity to make a statement. They wouldn't even be remarkable in the Domain.

Out of curiosity, what are you expecting, specifically? Do you have some samples in mind?

Construction cost is already slightly over $1 million per unit delivered. I would think the smallest/cheapest units are going to start somewhere between $1.15 & $1.25 million (maybe higher).

Pearlstone would price these completely out of the market if they spend any more money on something more architecturally pleasing to some.

IMHO, I like these. I think the design is appropriate for the area in which they are to be constructed.

drummer Jul 25, 2023 5:45 PM

I also kind of like the height in that area. It allows for increased density while providing greater depth when viewing downtown from the west. I look at it like foothills before the statement peaks in a mountain range. If this were on a surface lot between Lamar and I-35, I'd want a bit more height. But I like these here.

myBrain Jul 25, 2023 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVSAT (Post 9999515)
Out of curiosity, what are you expecting, specifically? Do you have some samples in mind?

Construction cost is already slightly over $1 million per unit delivered. I would think the smallest/cheapest units are going to start somewhere between $1.15 & $1.25 million (maybe higher).

Pearlstone would price these completely out of the market if they spend any more money on something more architecturally pleasing to some.

IMHO, I like these. I think the design is appropriate for the area in which they are to be constructed.

Sure, something like the One Ladybird Lake project https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=252332&page=3

Give me a facade material or color other than brick and concrete panels. Give me curves and setbacks.

These just look like something I'd expect to see in Mueller or the Domain. In fact, I think there are even more interesting buildings there. They're not bad by any means, possibly even handsome, and of course more density is good... but is there anything to be excited about? IMO no. It's another storage unit for rich people, at least it could look cool.

ThyPiGuy Jul 25, 2023 6:23 PM

I'd love a bit more height too but this is an awesome project to better connect Clarksville and Cesar Chavez/the LAB/and the trail.

I still am really confused how they are solving for the train track though -- if it's at grade people are going to be stuck waiting to get in to the garage for 10 mins every hour for some of the longer trains. Those trains get stuck or stop along that area of the tracks by the trestle all the time too.

If they're somehow tunneling underneath the tracks I wonder how they got permission/buy in from UP to do so given the apparent history of them effectively preventing the pfluger underpass at the end of Sandra Muraida Way from going forward.

Jdawgboy Jul 25, 2023 9:08 PM

I don't think there will be any connection with the road where you turn off Cesar Chavez to the highschool or park area. Even the renderings show there is no drive on that side. The entrances will be on the 5th Street side.

ThyPiGuy Jul 26, 2023 1:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdawgboy (Post 9999743)
I don't think there will be any connection with the road where you turn off Cesar Chavez to the highschool or park area. Even the renderings show there is no drive on that side. The entrances will be on the 5th Street side.

Right, but they're going to be on the south side of the tracks, so cars will have to drive over the tracks at Pressler to get in

austlar1 Jul 26, 2023 4:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyPiGuy (Post 9999903)
Right, but they're going to be on the south side of the tracks, so cars will have to drive over the tracks at Pressler to get in

I think a Pressler connection over or under the tracks has been under consideration for some time now. It was part of the Lamar Beach Vision Plan a few years back. There was some opposition to the idea based on concerns that it might generate a lot of additional traffic down into the park and lakefront. To the extent that it would provide better access down to the park area, I think it is a good idea, and it is a seeming necessity in order for this condo project to be viable.

Maximusx1 Jul 28, 2023 2:32 AM

It needs to be pointed out that these renderings leave out the giant, awful power lines that will run between these million dollar condos and their view of the lake. I don't know about you but I ain't paying $1.5m for some power lines to be hanging right off my balcony.

So power lines on one side and train tracks on the other. Sorry, the buildings looks nice and I love the new ped/bike connections to Clarksville, but no thanks.

drummer Jul 28, 2023 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maximusx1 (Post 10001624)
It needs to be pointed out that these renderings leave out the giant, awful power lines that will run between these million dollar condos and their view of the lake. I don't know about you but I ain't paying $1.5m for some power lines to be hanging right off my balcony.

So power lines on one side and train tracks on the other. Sorry, the buildings looks nice and I love the new ped/bike connections to Clarksville, but no thanks.

I forgot about that - here is the streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2744...8192?entry=ttu

MichaelB Jul 28, 2023 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drummer (Post 10001834)
I forgot about that - here is the streetview.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2744...8192?entry=ttu

Also love how the rendering trys to obfuscate all the little league fields!!!!! ... and the parents and the parking and the noise ! LOL!
And those ( hopefully) ain't goin' anywhere.

We vs us Jul 29, 2023 6:10 PM

The Historical Landmark Commission agenda for Aug 2 has 96 Rainey (corner of Rainey and Driskill) up for total demolition. Currently looks like a bar, situated next to Lustre Pearl, and of course sharing the rest of the block with the Modern and the Quincy. Anyone heard anything about why this one is going away?

The ATX Jul 29, 2023 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by We vs us (Post 10002739)
The Historical Landmark Commission agenda for Aug 2 has 96 Rainey (corner of Rainey and Driskill) up for total demolition. Currently looks like a bar, situated next to Lustre Pearl, and of course sharing the rest of the block with the Modern and the Quincy. Anyone heard anything about why this one is going away?

It's going to be rebuilt as a multi-story bar with twice the square footage called Palace Laundry. This tweet (or X?) as the elevations:

https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1670487212285100032

We vs us Jul 29, 2023 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The ATX (Post 10002743)
It's going to be rebuilt as a multi-story bar with twice the square footage called Palace Laundry. This tweet (or X?) as the elevations:

https://twitter.com/TheATX1/status/1670487212285100032

Nice, thanks for the catch. I must have missed your original XtweetX back in June.

Looks like even the bars are densing up on Rainey….