SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | True North Square | 86.9M | 77.8M | 25F | 17F | 22F | 17F | 19F | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217327)

Biff Jul 18, 2024 5:32 PM

Apparently they have significant work to do now in the basement to strengthen the foundation for the one tower revision. Full mobilization should be any time now.

Flatland Metropolis Jul 18, 2024 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roccerfeller (Post 10229160)
It seems as if they’ve cancelled the other tower? Or maybe added one floor to the hotel?

Did they though? It’s either the same size or, apparently, 1 floor taller Than originally envisioned

Was supposedly a 27 storey and a 17 storey tower originally

So from 44 storeys of development it’s now downsized to possibly just 28?

Here is what previous sources said:
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/winnipeg...wers-1.2791001

https://winnipegsun.com/2016/02/24/p...quare-revealed

And the older renders for fun comparison (front page links are dead for me so)
https://www.economicdevelopmentwinni...e-north-square

Edit: unless it got downsized from the initial reveal and has now be re-upsized?

I also remember the smaller building as being a residential building. Hopefully by 2040/50 they build the second residence.

Malcsta Jul 24, 2024 7:00 PM

Spoke with a friend of mine who works for Northland who says it is "active now" (sutton) with ~5 people, "slowly getting things ready"... take that with a grain of salt I suppose

plrh Jul 24, 2024 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcsta (Post 10252236)
Spoke with a friend of mine who works for Northland who says it is "active now" (sutton) with ~5 people, "slowly getting things ready"... take that with a grain of salt I suppose

Is it the same crew used on the Sandman Hotel?

FactaNV Jul 24, 2024 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plrh (Post 10252275)
Is it the same crew used on the Sandman Hotel?

5 dudes, hell yeah. Should be ready in 10-14 calendar years.

Can you ask your friend what the hell happened with this development lol

Biff Jul 25, 2024 4:27 PM

Don't forget most GC's generally self perform very little of a construction project. The projects effectively get built by trades.

bomberjet Jul 30, 2024 8:09 PM

I see the cranes been moving around at Sutton Place. The trolley is in a different location on the boom than it has been for years basically. Not much going on, but it seems more than just the wind moving the crane around. yesterday I thought oh wow look at the crane go!! But it was the storm that rolled through and nothing more.

zalf Jul 30, 2024 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 10256239)
I see the cranes been moving around at Sutton Place. The trolley is in a different location on the boom than it has been for years basically. Not much going on, but it seems more than just the wind moving the crane around. yesterday I thought oh wow look at the crane go!! But it was the storm that rolled through and nothing more.

I'm not sure that's correct. As of like 5 minutes ago, the trolley was out at the tip, which is is where it looks to have been back in April:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump (Post 10186740)

The site is active every day, but so far it's only ever been a couple of guys at a time. They also barely work banker's hours.

Biff Jul 31, 2024 4:42 PM

I would assume it wont be real until they get that jib re-installed on the north crane. The developer did say they have significant below grade work needed before anything starts to rise.

bomberjet Jul 31, 2024 4:43 PM

Boo.. thanks for the info. I did not notice the trolley had moved previously.

FactaNV Jul 31, 2024 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 10256808)
I would assume it wont be real until they get that jib re-installed on the north crane. The developer did say they have significant below grade work needed before anything starts to rise.

Here's to hoping there isn't any significant damage from the site sitting pretty well open for so long.

A while back someone posted saying they knew someone inside Northland. Did they tell what happened on this development? It seems every wrong choice was made from start to now.

BAKGUY Jul 31, 2024 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FactaNV (Post 10256869)
Here's to hoping there isn't any significant damage from the site sitting pretty well open for so long.

A while back someone posted saying they knew someone inside Northland. Did they tell what happened on this development? It seems every wrong choice was made from start to now.

It almost seems Like Northland regrets taking on this project & pushes it back at every opportunity the can legally. They have a new hotels in Halifax & Toronto & many new Sandman hotels, including the new Sandman Signature by the Sandman inn on Ellice here incomplete 6 years into it.. Northland Properties' Sandman Signature facility, which broke ground in 2018 beside the existing Sandman Hotel and Suites on 1750 Sargent Ave.They are finishing this before Sutton on Carlton St.

zalf Jul 31, 2024 9:55 PM

It's weird. Like why not sell the project if they don't want to build and operate it?

drew Aug 1, 2024 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff (Post 10256808)

If they are going with a single tower, they may not need that north crane anymore, at least for the portion that rises above the podium.

rivercity Aug 1, 2024 5:52 PM

Walked through TNS at lunch today. Such a nice vibe in there with the water feature and the modern buildings but man are those air handling/blowers in there obnoxious as hell. Once I noticed them, its all I could hear. Wonder if theres anyway to reduce the dBs on those. whew.

cllew Aug 1, 2024 7:07 PM

Because of the outside air temp the variable speed air handling units may be ramped up to "warp speed" to try and keep things cool

zalf Aug 1, 2024 10:57 PM

Some new intel of middling reliability: I was talking to a guy who's a fellow regular at my usual pub. Says he'll be working on Sutton "in five or six months" and his trade is carpentry. Someone better informed about high-rise construction than I am might be able to more usefully interpret that. Two giant caveats are that this guy barely speaks English and is somewhat odd besides.