SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | True North Square | 86.9M | 77.8M | 25F | 17F | 22F | 17F | 19F | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217327)

BuildUpWpg Feb 5, 2024 7:55 PM

Meanwhile, Northland just announced a new Sutton Place for Kelowna...due to begin construction in 2025. Getting a little ahead of themselves?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FactaNV (Post 10136487)
Man I can't imagine a world Northland isn't in breach of contract over this. There must have been a timeline involved right? I feel terrible for the convention centre after reading this. They did such a beautiful job redoing it.

Lulz Feb 6, 2024 1:02 AM

Northlands must be busy with the Sandman Signature explosion in Fort Worth too

Wpg_Guy Feb 6, 2024 1:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FactaNV (Post 10136487)
Man I can't imagine a world Northland isn't in breach of contract over this. There must have been a timeline involved right? I feel terrible for the convention centre after reading this. They did such a beautiful job redoing it.

What kind of contract do you think was in place that they are in breach of?

FactaNV Feb 6, 2024 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 10137012)
What kind of contract do you think was in place that they are in breach of?

Is there not timelines and assurances built in to these things? We'll be darn near tens years since the announcement and how this was a key component of the approval of the public funding for the redevelopment of the convention centre. This has Sheegl and Katz all over it and it feels like a rug pull is a distinct possibility.

Wpg_Guy Feb 6, 2024 1:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FactaNV (Post 10137015)
Is there not timelines and assurances built in to these things? We'll be darn near tens years since the announcement and how this was a key component of the approval of the public funding for the redevelopment of the convention centre. This has Sheegl and Katz all over it and it feels like a rug pull is a distinct possibility.

Timeline and assurances by who? True North sold the land to Northland Properties, there is no development contract with True North or the Convention Centre.

borkborkbork Feb 6, 2024 4:49 AM

wasn't some of the TIF contingent on a hotel? i remember some bowman-chipman squabbling over this way back when...

Wpg_Guy Feb 28, 2024 12:08 AM

Gary Bettman quote regarding Winnipeg hosting a draft, “When that hotel across the street finally gets built, I think we’ll have a better opportunity to focus on the draft, we need a little more hotel space, that building, the new hotel got hung up during Covid, I understand the spring they’re supposed to start constructing it, and then we can figure out what to do.”

FactaNV Feb 28, 2024 4:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 10153465)
Gary Bettman quote regarding Winnipeg hosting a draft, “When that hotel across the street finally gets built, I think we’ll have a better opportunity to focus on the draft, we need a little more hotel space, that building, the new hotel got hung up during Covid, I understand the spring they’re supposed to start constructing it, and then we can figure out what to do.”

Huge news if true. Love to see it get going.

3de14eec6a Mar 1, 2024 1:08 PM

The developer has said "next spring" 2 or 3 times already. Maybe this will actually be the year?

BAKGUY Mar 1, 2024 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3de14eec6a (Post 10155521)
The developer has said "next spring" 2 or 3 times already. Maybe this will actually be the year?

True, always a delay.. but I think The NHL & Mr. Bettman are excising major pressure on Northland to build sooner than later or risk ever getting the NHL contract for players to stay there going forward.

FactaNV Mar 1, 2024 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKGUY (Post 10156017)
True, always a delay.. but I think The NHL & Mr. Bettman are excising major pressure on Northland to build sooner than later or risk ever getting the NHL contract for players to stay there going forward.

Those clowns will continue to find ways to delay. I'm sure they've paid as much in fees and other shit along those lines as they would have paid in interest on the project when they were dragging their asses when interest was miniscule 5 years ago.

zalf Mar 13, 2024 3:07 PM

There were a bunch of construction workers on the hotel site today. Wawanesa seems pretty done and I haven't seen any workers outside in months. Could it be?

I know it's probably nothing. Just let me hope!

FactaNV Mar 13, 2024 3:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalf (Post 10163549)
There were a bunch of construction workers on the hotel site today. Wawanesa seems pretty done and I haven't seen any workers outside in months. Could it be?

One can bloody hope. Thanks Gary! It'll be the first time I ever express goodwill to Gary Bettman but hey, a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

cllew Mar 13, 2024 9:55 PM

I don't know if was my imagination or not but I thought for a few days last week the tower crane had lost its jib as I could only see the tower and operators cab.

I didn't see any mobile cranes around lifting the jib off and back on unless it was done on the days I was not downtown.

optimusREIM Mar 14, 2024 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cllew (Post 10163908)
I don't know if was my imagination or not but I thought for a few days last week the tower crane had lost its jib as I could only see the tower and operators cab.

I didn't see any mobile cranes around lifting the jib off and back on unless it was done on the days I was not downtown.

The jib is back on?

Flatland Metropolis Mar 14, 2024 7:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zalf (Post 10163549)

I saw the same yesterday! Walked by again this afternoon and did not notice anyone.

FactaNV Mar 14, 2024 8:04 PM

These workers are teasing us now.

bomberjet Mar 14, 2024 8:09 PM

Cranes are definitely the same as they were since the jib came off for Wawanesa. I don't see anything of substance from my vantage point. Hopefully these lurking workers are there in prep for ramp up.

WinCitySparky Mar 14, 2024 8:22 PM

A ramp so gradual it looks like a straight line

Justanothermember Mar 14, 2024 8:34 PM

Gary Bettman did say construction of the hotel is going to start this spring. So if GB says it's going to happen, then it must be true!