SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg | True North Square | 86.9M | 77.8M | 25F | 17F | 22F | 17F | 19F | U/C (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217327)

esquire May 12, 2022 3:43 AM

Better late than never.

trueviking May 12, 2022 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy (Post 9622906)
Following some unexpected delays, timelines have been pushed back (again) and Sutton plans to resume construction later this year. Completion is not expected until 2025 or 2026.

good news. I guess. I hope they have budgeted another 40% into their construction costs. That delay will be an expensive one for them. The construction world has changed dramatically since they left.

I will be interested to see what they need to do with all the rebar that's been exposed for three years. Can't imagine its useable.

drew May 13, 2022 2:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trueviking (Post 9623685)
I will be interested to see what they need to do with all the rebar that's been exposed for three years. Can't imagine its useable.

They will just need to brush off the rust and clean it up. It's relatively exposed and shouldn't have corroded too much.

I always wonder why they want to start "later this year".

It's Winnipeg. You don't wait until "later" in the year for cast-in-place concrete. Unless you like paying all those fuel bills for heaters.

zalf Jun 16, 2022 5:00 PM

The mystery tenant at the corner of Graham and Carlton is a gallery that is part of the Unzipped exhibition at Portage Place. I believe it's Ronnie Wood-focused.

zalf Sep 19, 2022 8:10 PM

The luffing jib and counterweight have been removed from the northern Sutton crane. Must have happened in the last day or two. I assume it was getting in Wawanesa's way somehow.

https://i.imgur.com/yhwCqDN.jpg

P&M40BELOW Oct 6, 2022 10:03 PM

Sutton Place project will be starting up again in November. It’s about time.

WinCitySparky Oct 6, 2022 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P&M40BELOW (Post 9753755)

Wild! New contractor?

esquire Oct 7, 2022 12:39 AM

Quote:

Great news! :cheers:

3de14eec6a Oct 7, 2022 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinCitySparky (Post 9753757)
Wild! New contractor?

PLC will be finished wawanesa so they'll just shift everyone and the crane over.

(this is a joke. though they may be finished the structure)

blueandgoldguy Oct 8, 2022 7:09 PM

That's great news. I guess they will just construct phase 1 as previously planned - the podium and the first midrise building (hotel)? I seem to recall the second midrise (condos or apartments) would be constructed a year or two later based on demand.

BAKGUY Oct 8, 2022 7:38 PM

Sutton Place

Quote:

I hope so.
Mid October is upon us next week.
I look forward to seeing this complete but hope it still happening.
I last heard when Phase Ii , should it get built..is a combo residential and upper end long term stay hotel. Ideal for visiting business persons/ actors/celebrities etc..

(sub)urban Oct 8, 2022 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9755427)
That's great news. I guess they will just construct phase 1 as previously planned - the podium and the first midrise building (hotel)? I seem to recall the second midrise (condos or apartments) would be constructed a year or two later based on demand.

Well given the housing market you have to think there'd be sufficient demand. Although who knows. Much has changed since the project was announced initially.

Just googled to double-check too and the taller, 18-story tower is the hotel portion with the shorter, 13-story tower being the residential tower. So that's nice as well -- should at least be guaranteed the taller of two towers.

esquire Oct 11, 2022 1:47 PM

Given the success of TNS in general you would think they could squeeze a few more floors into the residential tower... 13 storeys is a little underwhelming.

pspeid Oct 11, 2022 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 9755427)

I know this is just speculation, but I hope the plans are to complete the entire project. I know "phase 1" would be better than nothing, but how often have people here lamented the number of city projects where "phase 2" was never completed? I don't think it would take long before the "we're so pathetic/we can't get anything done" chatter begins if this is the case. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

dmacc Oct 11, 2022 2:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspeid (Post 9756998)
I know this is just speculation, but I hope the plans are to complete the entire project. I know "phase 1" would be better than nothing, but how often have people here lamented the number of city projects where "phase 2" was never completed? I don't think it would take long before the "we're so pathetic/we can't get anything done" chatter begins if this is the case. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Well, considering the total vision of TNS was 4 towers and then the Hotel/Residence design was sold to Sutton and then expanded to include the Wawanesa tower. If 4/5 towers get built I would still be happy about the outcome.

esquire Oct 11, 2022 2:20 PM

Phase 1 (podium and hotel tower) would be far better than nothing, and it would leave the door open for an eventual phase 2.

The worst case scenario here is just leaving the Sutton Place project in place as it is, as a frozen in place construction project, or maybe just finishing the underground parkade with nothing above it a la Winnipeg Square.

optimusREIM Oct 11, 2022 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esquire (Post 9757009)
Phase 1 (podium and hotel tower) would be far better than nothing, and it would leave the door open for an eventual phase 2.

The worst case scenario here is just leaving the Sutton Place project in place as it is, as a frozen in place construction project, or maybe just finishing the underground parkade with nothing above it a la Winnipeg Square.

Agreed. Although the fact that True North is involved gives me a certain amount of comfort, knowing their track record of getting projects across the finish line. I can't imagine that they'd let part of their signature development stay unbuilt. It would ruin the vibe of TNS, plus they need a hotel on the development. One way or another, I believe this thing gets fully built out in the end, and I bet - as speculated - that if the sutton group doesn't boogie on it, TN swoops in as soon as Wananesa is complete.

bomberjet Oct 11, 2022 2:34 PM

Isn't the 'residential' portion a long term stay type thing? With the other tower being a proper hotel.

Wpg_Guy Oct 11, 2022 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bomberjet (Post 9757020)
Isn't the 'residential' portion a long term stay type thing? With the other tower being a proper hotel.

Yes exactly, it’s not a condo or an apartment or even residential per se it’s their long term fully furnished suite hotel brand, La Grande Résidence.

esquire Oct 26, 2022 3:44 PM

I had to visit one of the tenants in the TNS office tower this week. While I was waiting in the upstairs office lobby, I enjoyed the birds' eye views of the Wawanesa construction site, and the apartment building across the courtyard.

It is weird how you can peer in and see dozens of apartments... all the clutter, the messy beds, people on their couches. It is a strange backdrop for some of the city's most prestigious office space.