SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167137)

vid Dec 3, 2009 9:41 AM

Stop drinking.

1ajs Dec 3, 2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vid (Post 4589148)
Stop drinking.

ok then there vid for the record i havent been drinking anything

vid Dec 3, 2009 11:07 AM

Google "Shawarma".

Bdog Dec 3, 2009 5:09 PM

1ajs, it's kind of like a gyro/pita/wrap, with donair beef or chicken, with a great garlic sauce...

1ajs Dec 3, 2009 6:15 PM

ok

dennis Dec 4, 2009 7:57 PM

I had donairs in edmonton. I wonder why there are none in winnipeg. I have yet to try a good quality donair...

BKB Dec 4, 2009 8:50 PM

Shawarma

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bdog (Post 4588999)
If someone decides to open a shawarma place in Winnipeg, they will make a killing...

I guess the place on Ellice called Shawarma Time doesn't have Shawarma or Baracka Pita Bakery or....

Miz Point Dec 7, 2009 3:51 AM

There is a Shwarma place here

Man, some of you need to drive up Main Street.....there is a Shwarma joint near Don's Photo.....the owners are Lebanese. Their oven, which the stupid jerks at Canada Customs held up for SIX MONTHS, is a work of art and must be seen. They also sell Lebanese pastries and desserts and of course Pita bread.

swolfe Dec 7, 2009 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miz Point (Post 4594821)
Man, some of you need to drive up Main Street.....there is a Shwarma joint near Don's Photo.....the owners are Lebanese. Their oven, which the stupid jerks at Canada Customs held up for SIX MONTHS, is a work of art and must be seen. They also sell Lebanese pastries and desserts and of course Pita bread.

I think this is the Baraka Bakery that BKB mentioned. I've been there a couple times and I will definitely go back. Great place for lunch. The last time I was in there, a Priest and a Rabbi walked in together. I thought that only happened in lame jokes. :haha:

1ajs Dec 7, 2009 9:47 PM

lol yea

speaking of places theres a restraunt now open in the atrium of the royal albert again
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8498/albertxn.jpg

nordique Dec 7, 2009 11:14 PM

i thought the new owner said he would remove that unsightly growth that's on the albert's face?

rgalston Dec 7, 2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordique (Post 4596019)
i thought the new owner said he would remove that unsightly growth that's on the albert's face?

That's still in the cards, but I think it's more "in the long term" now.

I was there for lunch today, too. Lunch platter and coffee came to $10.36... huge portions, great service.

They're going to open Monday to Friday between 9:30 and 3:30 p.m. for the rest of the month, but are planning to have weekend hours in the new year.

I see a young rising star of an Exchange District developer in that photo...

flatlander Dec 8, 2009 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgalston (Post 4596055)
I see a young rising star of an Exchange District developer in that photo...

I see Andrew! Are we talking about the same guy?

Is this the same operator as was running the restaurant before it closed? It was tasty.

Anyone know if Ham and Eggs is still open on Princess?

rgalston Dec 8, 2009 3:38 AM

Not Andrew, I'm thinking Youcube, and the Market Square band shell...

Aside from the chef, it's not the same people running the Albert. It's two couples that opened it together. One of the two opened Stafford Street Hot Yoga a year or two ago.

Ham N' Eggs, still is, as far as I know, still opened weekdays--haven't been in there in a while, but I still see the usual assortment of construction/CP trucks and fixed-gear courier bikes parked out front.

flatlander Dec 8, 2009 3:49 AM

Gotcha. And future ED resident too.

Man we're worse than Google Streetview.

1ajs Dec 8, 2009 5:20 AM

so am i the only one that likes the atrium?

anyhow nice running into you rob

rgalston Dec 8, 2009 5:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatlander (Post 4596427)
Gotcha. And future ED resident too.

Man we're worse than Google Streetview.

Youcube is technically in South Point Douglas.

Nice to run into you, too. I like the atrium, but I like the idea of opening up the front again, too. Don't know how constructive that would be when a new restaurant just opening there, unless Mr. Jorgenson planned some major renovations to expand the restaurant space into the interior of the Royal Albert.

1ajs Dec 8, 2009 5:31 AM

as it sat empty rotting i could see it going but if someones going to make use of it why rip it out and for being open on its first day it sure was busy as if it had allways been there

so is this developer paying for the stage or is the city?? i'm kinda confused here

mooke Dec 8, 2009 5:56 PM

Kawaii Crepe

201-99 Osborne St.

Coming soon!

flatlander Dec 8, 2009 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgalston (Post 4596581)
Youcube is technically in South Point Douglas.

Nice to run into you, too. I like the atrium, but I like the idea of opening up the front again, too. Don't know how constructive that would be when a new restaurant just opening there, unless Mr. Jorgenson planned some major renovations to expand the restaurant space into the interior of the Royal Albert.

I will concede on the SPD matter! Just out of curiosity where did you find the map? I can see the Census pages on the winnipeg.ca website, but can't zoom in on the maps to identify streets. Do you have a better source?

I like the idea of the atrium, but the execution just doesn't work for me. The sidewalk is terrible. I appreciate why they did it, but it just doesn't work for me. I think if they renovated the bar nicely, it would make a nicer environment for the restaurant than the atrium.