SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   NEW YORK | 80 Flatbush (2 Towers) | 840 FT / 510 FT | 74 & 38 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227706)

chris08876 Nov 2, 2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 7973984)
No brownstone will be touched for this project. “Brownstone Brooklyn” isn’t in any danger. What are these irrational NIMBYs babbling about?

Its the same logic used when people say that the pre-wars are being eradicated. No they are not. Sure a development might take one or two out, but there are still 1000's. There's a lot of places that are land marked too. So okay we lost this one, but its not the end of the urban historical fabric like they seem to proclaim.

Just like shadows won't ruin Central Park.

Its sensationalism and emotional thinking. The NIMBYS don't care about the welfare of their city, but their own, self-entitled brat mindset. To preserve their views, and what they seem to like at the expense of everyone else.

chris08876 Nov 11, 2017 7:13 PM

80 Flatbush’s Pre-Demolition Mural Unveiled, Downtown Brooklyn

https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...November-2.jpg

Quote:

Alloy Development’s plans for 80 Flatbush Avenue will eventually yield two residential towers, the larger of which will extend 74 floors and 920 feet into the Downtown Brooklyn skyline. But before construction can begin, the developers covered the existing structures in a mural starting back in September. Now, work on the art piece has wrapped up, as seen in the latest photos of the site from Tectonic.

The mural will live for at least two years, as the larger site must still complete the ULURP process before construction can begin. One of the buildings, a Civil War infirmary currently used by the Khalil Gibran International Academy, will be integrated into the base of the new project. However, the structures covered by the murals will eventually be demolished.

The development’s scope will be very large, even by Downtown Brooklyn standards, and construction is currently anticipated to begin on the first phase by 2019, which includes two schools expected to open by 2022, and the smaller residential tower. The larger, 920-foot-tall skyscraper would open in 2025, and together, they would deliver 900 apartments.

While the eventuality of the site will be a game-changer for the neighborhood, adding substantially to its housing stock while also bolstering its educational assets, the murals are a welcome touch in the meantime, and improve greatly upon the hum-drum structures set for the wrecking ball.
=====================
NYY

cannedairspray Nov 11, 2017 7:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7974382)
The NIMBYS don't care about the welfare of their city, but their own, self-entitled brat mindset. To preserve their views, and what they seem to like at the expense of everyone else.

I keep seeing this sentiment on this website and it just seems to lack self-awareness. Yes, they want things the way they want it. Don't we? I'm all for upgraded urban fabric, increased mass transit options, better walkability, and (usually) more density. But I must admit it's a personal preference. We can disagree with the preference's of others without demonizing them about it.

chris08876 Nov 11, 2017 8:17 PM

Sure, people have their preferences, but when it impacts the growth of the city and especially the much needed housing or lets say a transit project being protested, I see that as an assault on the well being of the city.

I don't like paying taxes, and seeing the paycheck reduced, but if its going to the well-being of the neighborhood, and the areas in which we reside, than its compromise. I understand that its at least being utilized somewhat to sustain our realm.

There is no valid reason other than self-entitlement to be against height or shadows. No reason to not utilize underdeveloped land, and provide the much needed housing to stabilize prices.

Sometimes we have to make compromises, and at times, they do have valid concerns, but it can't always be a one sided conversation where its just no on every level and that nothing will be built. They have land, it was bought, a developer wants to build on it, and has every right within the zoning and codes that govern that parcel and its limitations, and thus, I don't see the point of reducing such a project.

We need to grow, and can't just stop. Its not good for the world. A puritan mindset is not what the U.S. needs in any of its cities.

If NY from the start had a NIMBY mindset, the place would not be the beacon that it is. Its only until some people lost focus, lost respect for economics and capitalism, that this objection has started. The jobs, the housing, all brought to you by big-thinkers, and we need more of that. You can see it in certain cities, and even in day-to-day workplaces. People who think big, and who strive for the best, get places.

Prezrezc Nov 11, 2017 10:18 PM

And that's why Bloomberg, like him or not, can arguably be cited as the one who got NYC's upward growth spurt kicking into high gear.

Giuliani, like him or not, got us thru 9-11 and gave us the resolve to make the city safer,more conducive to doing business and more relevant in a 21st Century world than ever.

Luckily, DeBlasio seems intent on maintaining the currrent vector.

yankeesfan1000 Nov 11, 2017 10:47 PM

To echo chris, I think the issue boils down to lack of compromise.

No one is going to take issue with residents saying, we understand we're a part of this city and the city needs more housing, and that our community should help address this issue and allow the construction of new housing, but in exchange we would like the city to refurbish an old playground, fill pot holes, expand an elementary school, etc. But to just say no with no alternatives, no discussion, no nothing, is effectively saying, we want to enjoy all the benefits of living in this city, but don't want to help it address arguably it's biggest, non climate change issue. It's an incredibly lazy, and selfish position.

Letting developers run wild clearly is not the answer, but there needs to be an actual back and forth between developers, city planners and the community, which doesn't happen. I think we're at a point where community boards, and city councilman should have zero binding authority over projects, only advisory.

What's the point of having a city planning commission and city councilman/community groups who can block projects that fall within existing zoning and land use?

chris08876 Nov 21, 2017 2:54 AM

Locals Say Alloy’s Downtown Brooklyn Mega-Project Is Too Tall, Blocks Historic Tower

Quote:

How high is too high?

This was the question that was repeatedly raised at a community meeting hosted by the Fort Greene Association on Monday night to discuss the proposal for 80 Flatbush Avenue, a controversial development plan at the nexus of Boerum Hill, Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn.

What most of the residents were certain of is that 74 stories, which is the height of the highest tower of the proposed pair, is too much. There is also the problem that the towers don’t fit in to the surrounding brownstone neighborhood, are too glassy, and cut off views of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank Tower across the street, aka 1 Hanson Place, they said.

“We’ve done a lot to address a lot of these concerns,” said AJ Pires, the president of Alloy. He said that the former rendering is not representative of the current design. “Not everything we agree on, but we continue to improve the project with community input.”

But for many of the dozens in attendance, there was still a host of other issues to address. Ben Richardson, a board member of the 1 Hanson Place condo in Fort Greene, gave a detailed presentation that stressed the “fairly unprecedented” proposed floor area ratio, also known as FAR, of 18, among other concerns, and reminded everyone that this was still a proposal and had not even begun the official public review process, or ULURP, expected to kick off in a month or so.
============================
https://www.brownstoner.com/developm...enue-too-high/

toddguy Nov 21, 2017 3:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7908027)
Hate to say it, but there are good NIMBYs. The ones who would be happy for fighting a development not because of the height, no, but because of the affordable component. The minute they pull that down sizing rubbish, they are now part of Chris's Axis of Evil. Ship them to Bikini Island, and then ratify the nuclear testing treaty of 1996 to allow for testing to occur.

Hint: Bikini Island use to be a testing ground

It's a win-win. Build towers that help our cities growth, and reduce NIMBY involvement. They always like to see sunlight, and what better way to see the sun than in a bright flash.

Just pitching ideas. My other one was to ship NIMBYS to Madagascar. That might be the environmentally, LEED friendly method.

I loved this! I needed a good laugh. :)

Busy Bee Nov 21, 2017 3:00 PM

Technically it's Bikini Atoll Chris...

antinimby Nov 21, 2017 3:14 PM

I told you guys. NIMBYs will always complain about height and density. It will never change.

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 7907777)
^ Those people don't care about affordable housing. In fact, they probably hate having more lower income people in their neighborhood.

These people are against the size and density of this project. Giving them anything else will not change that.

chris08876 Nov 22, 2017 2:09 AM

The Williamsburgh Savings Bank argument was used to fight the Ms Brooklyn tower part of the colloquially named Atlantic Yards.

The NIMBYS fought Atlantic Yards (known as Pacific Park) for years, and lost. In fact, they did not want anything to eclipse the Savings Bank, and look at the current state of affairs now. We have 9 Dekalb, Citypoint Phase III, and the rest of the 500+ foot residential(s) that have risen.

I don't think the height argument will work in this case. Given the extensive timeline for this project, it will take some time to become reality, but I think it will rise ultimately at its current dimensions.

Brooklyn has experienced Manhattanization on a massive level. The city must grow. LIC is a notable example. From a district of warehouses lies dozens of skyscrapers u/c and recently finished, with plenty in the pipeline.

chris08876 Feb 12, 2018 7:50 AM

Hearing for Controversial Boerum Hill Tower Postponed, Public Review Expected to Start Soon

Quote:

When we last checked in on 80 Flatbush Avenue, the controversial development plan at the nexus of Boerum Hill, Fort Greene and Downtown Brooklyn, local residents were concerned that the 74-story tower — the highest of a pair — is too tall for the surrounding neighborhood.

This was before Alloy, the developer and architect of the project, had even started the official public review process, or ULURP, which was expected to begin in January 2018.

But a scheduled public hearing on the matter for February 13 has been postponed, we’ve been told, due to the environmental review not being completed on time.

Without the environmental review, the first steps of the ULURP process can’t begin. It’s now expected that the City Planning Commission will certify the application at their review session on February 12.

CB2 is anticipating a new public hearing will be scheduled in early to mid March, although a date and location have not been confirmed.

The development, which will occupy a whole block, calls for two towers, 900 apartments — including 200 affordable units — and two schools. Two historic buildings will be retained, although not the fairly ordinary two buildings covered in artist Katie Merz’s recently completed murals.
======================
https://www.brownstoner.com/developm...ing-postponed/

antinimby Feb 12, 2018 12:15 PM

Ugh, it’s going to be an ugly NIMBY fest.

It’s 2018 in downtown Brooklyn. It’s their 2-3 story buildings that are out-of-place.

JMKeynes Feb 12, 2018 12:41 PM

The ridiculous thing is that Downtown Brooklyn is not the Heights or Park Slope.

Downtown Brooklyn still has a "hood" vibe. Hopefully, it will be gone soon.

NYguy Feb 12, 2018 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8082231)
Downtown Brooklyn still has a "hood" vibe. Hopefully, it will be gone soon.

I don't know what that means. But Downtown Brooklyn has always been vibrant. I hope that doesn't change.

JMKeynes Feb 12, 2018 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 8082359)
I don't know what that means. But Downtown Brooklyn has always been vibrant. I hope that doesn't change.

When you walk in Midtown, you don't see a lot of "gangstas." In downtown Brooklyn, you see plenty. It's not yet fully gentrified.

NYguy Feb 12, 2018 4:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8082420)
When you walk in Midtown, you don't see a lot of "gangstas." In downtown Brooklyn, you see plenty. It's not yet fully gentrified.

Again, I don't know what you mean by "gangstas".

But I can tell you that Downtown Brooklyn is NOT Midtown. And while there are a lot of good things happening in the city right now, your sentiments are a sign of everything that is WRONG with the city. It's the "out with the natives" and in with the "flashy, expensive, gentrified" streets that New Yorkers don't recognize. Let everything look squeaky clean, and God forbid the people who actually live there, and have lived their their whole lives should walk down the streets. No, bring in the newcomers to shine it all up.

That sir, is exactly something New York doesn't need more of, and is not what makes the city great.

JMKeynes Feb 12, 2018 4:51 PM

I work in Midtown and spend a lot of time in court in Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn needs to clean up more in my opinion.

mrnyc Feb 12, 2018 5:00 PM

^ you are both right.

however, i do not like seeing the fulton mall dismantled for the yuppies.

at all.

NYguy Feb 12, 2018 5:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8082523)
I work in Midtown and spend a lot of time in court in Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn needs to clean up more in my opinion.

Cleaned up for whom? I worked in Downtown BK, and used to like to spend my lunchtime walking the area around the Fulton St mall. And the streets have always been crowded, full of people who come there to shop or browse the stores, and there are more on the way. It in NO WAY needs to be morphed into Midtown Manhattan. People who are uncomfortable in the environment that downtown BK is now would probably be better suited to Midtown anyway (at least the shiny side of it).

chris08876 Feb 12, 2018 5:48 PM

There's a fine line between retaining the existing culture and gentrification. Both can be had at the same time, but it must be cautioned that gentrification (full blown), tends to kill the culture and steer it predominately towards one side. Its not heterogeneous in other words.

Brooklyn can grow, but it must not lose its character. The byproduct of growth is change, no doubt, but it can't be 0 to 100, where 100 is in favor of "X" side. What makes NY great is its melting pot nature. Without it, without the chaotic nature of the soup called life, the city would suck. Fortunate it is not the case.

I think what he's referring to are the criminal elements (but its not gentrification that eliminates crime but better police work and presence). Its a far-cry from the 70's, but the city has seen a decline in crime, and with a booming area, police presence is always ticked up a notch and more eyes on the street (more folks outside). So naturally, it will become safer. No worries!!! :)

dc_denizen Feb 12, 2018 10:04 PM

downtown brooklyn could be a bit more upmarket and 'centered'. 'gangstas' aside, haha.

i mean even brooklyn heights has that stretch on henry with the falafel place, the taxi cab company, the pizzeria etc that look like they time travelled here from 1976. BK heights also has its share of oldsters paying rent-controlled 300$ rents, buildings that have very little turnover.

regarding downtown:

the remaining defaced/destroyed facades all along fulton should be improved with city funds. without kicking out the businesses.

another problem is too many courthouses/notaries/legal crap downtown. this kills other uses, much more than having too many modells and shoe stores.

there is still the parking lot on adams and fulton near the shake shack - it needs to go.

I would like to see the popeyes on court st near joralemon go extinct, not gonna lie. that thing stinks of frying oil some afternoons.

the pace of renovation/new build on schermerhorn/atlantic/3rd avenue/fort greene near bam is such that maybe that will be the market upmarket side of downtown in the near future.

NYguy Feb 13, 2018 4:51 AM

^ Those parking lots are on borrowed time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8082605)
There's a fine line between retaining the existing culture and gentrification. Both can be had at the same time, but it must be cautioned that gentrification (full blown), tends to kill the culture and steer it predominately towards one side. Its not heterogeneous in other words.

Brooklyn can grow, but it must not lose its character. The byproduct of growth is change, no doubt, but it can't be 0 to 100, where 100 is in favor of "X" side. What makes NY great is its melting pot nature. Without it, without the chaotic nature of the soup called life, the city would suck. Fortunate it is not the case.

Yes, I am not a fan of "gentrification" as a cure for all things, especially in a area that really didn't need a "cure". Downtown BK has always been vibrant by day, similar to how the financial district was once strictly vibrant by day, but now with residential growth has become more alive. You could use more of that in DT Brooklyn, but not at the cost of replacing existing character. In other words, there can be improvement without replacement.

Quote:

I think what he's referring to are the criminal elements.
Then I've got news, there are criminal elements all over the city, and yes on the streets of Midtown.

Prezrezc Feb 13, 2018 1:29 PM

^
JUst a quick aside; but that's a probem the Bronx needs to *seriously* deal with before it can hope to plat catch-up with Kings & Queens counties for peripheral development. But it *is* catching up.

chris08876 Feb 14, 2018 1:16 AM

Looks like a supertall! :cheers:

:tup:

========================

New Renderings For 74-Story 80 Flatbush, In Downtown Brooklyn

https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...evelopment.jpg

https://newyorkyimby.com/wp-content/...69-777x952.jpg

Quote:

New information has been revealed about 80 Flatbush, in Downtown Brooklyn, by Alloy Development. The release brings new renderings, as well as a construction timeline and design revisions in response to a substantial voluntary review process. The proposal will begin the formal public review through ULURP, i.e. the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure, in early to mid-March. Architecture Research Office will be responsible for the design of the school, to be included in the base.

The project will total five buildings, utilizing two old structures from the mid-late 19th Century, and creating three new ones. Nearly 900 apartments will be created, with 200 designated as affordable under the City’s Inclusionary Housing Program. 15,000 square feet will be dedicated to the cultural use, 200,000 square feet for office space, and 40,000 square feet to commercial-retail use.

The taller tower remains unchanged. It will rise 74 floors, peaking at 986 feet above street level.

Construction is expected to start next year. Completion of Phase One, which includes the triangular tower and schools is expected to open in 2022. Completion of the second tower and redevelopment of the existing structures is expected by 2025.

Two schools will be created, including a replacement facility for the Khalil Gibran International Academy, the first New York City public school to focus on Arabic language and culture. A combined 700 seats will open up, nearly 78 per 100 households produced.
=====================
NYY

NYguy Feb 14, 2018 5:28 AM

^ It's at least still a 900 footer...

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/2/13/1700...avenue-changes

New looks, details for massive Downtown Brooklyn development ahead of ULURP
80 Flatbush Avenue will bring 900 apartments, two schools, and more to Brooklyn

By Amy Plitt
Feb 13, 2018

Quote:

In response to that critique, as well as others regarding traffic in the area, Alloy has amended the proposal ahead of the ULURP. “We feel like we have a civic responsibility to leverage this transit-rich location in Downtown Brooklyn to address the housing crisis and provide essential infrastructure for the area,” Della Valle said in a statement. “We’re excited to move ahead with what we think is well-crafted, sustainable development, and look forward to further opportunities to hear from the community throughout the review process.”

Other changes are meant to ameliorate concerns over increased traffic. Alloy has moved a truck loading area so that it’s not on residential-heavy State Street, and will seek to eliminate parking that was previously planned for the development, choosing to instead emphasize the development’s proximity to the transit hub at Atlantic Avenue. (Transit advocates have taken notice: Both Transportation Alternatives and the Riders Alliance voiced their support, with the latter’s John Raskin saying that “it is hard to find a more transit-rich development spot in the five boroughs” than the building’s site.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prezrezc (Post 8083657)
^
JUst a quick aside; but that's a probem the Bronx needs to *seriously* deal with before it can hope to plat catch-up with Kings & Queens counties for peripheral development. But it *is* catching up.

Development is already beginning there. People will move where there are apartments, that's why the city doesn't have any problem with putting market rate housing on the site of housing projects. As long as there is access to transit, people will move anywhere in the city, especially if they are priced out of other areas.

NYguy Feb 14, 2018 5:31 AM

More from the street...

https://www.6sqft.com/920-foot-flatb...ed-renderings/

https://imgs.6sqft.com/wp-content/up...h-Avenue-3.jpg

https://imgs.6sqft.com/wp-content/up...h-Avenue-2.jpg

https://imgs.6sqft.com/wp-content/up...h-Avenue-5.jpg

https://imgs.6sqft.com/wp-content/up...h-Avenue-6.jpg

Crawford Feb 14, 2018 3:08 PM

Mods need to change the taller tower to 987 ft. per the new designs.

Another supertall (just barely).

chris08876 Feb 14, 2018 8:10 PM

Shorter Component.

https://80flatbush.com/uploads/V5-NIGHT-SMALL-crop.jpg
Credit: https://80flatbush.com/

antinimby Feb 14, 2018 11:29 PM

Does anyone really think the height is going to survive the ULURP, i.e. NIIMBY soapbox, unscathed?

Crawford Feb 15, 2018 1:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 8085982)
Does anyone really think the height is going to survive the ULURP, i.e. NIIMBY soapbox, unscathed?

DeBlasio controls ULURP. If they want the height, they'll get the height.

And this is downtown Brooklyn, not the Village or UWS. Not residential or historic, and few bazillionaire NIMBYs.

chris08876 Feb 15, 2018 2:03 AM

The governor is quite pro-development. He is really aiming for his affordable housing goal.

Its a good political climate to be in. :cheers:

NYguy Feb 15, 2018 4:02 AM

https://80flatbush.com/about

Quote:

Context for Density

As early as the 1920s, the area around Atlantic Terminal was identified as an important commercial hub and dubbed Brooklyn’s “midtown district.”
Since then, Flatbush Avenue has emerged as Brooklyn’s skyscraper corridor with the borough’s tallest buildings stretching from the former
Williamsburgh Savings Bank (built in 1929) to the 1,066 foot-tall 9 Dekalb, which is currently under construction. A wide avenue richly served
by transportation, Flatbush Ave represents one of the best places for growth in the borough. We must take advantage of opportunities to provide
economic development, new housing stock, and public infrastructure where we can.

https://80flatbush.com/uploads/BDE-n...116_204337.jpg

https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...jpg?1518630928
https://www.archdaily.com/889072/dow...schools-by-aro

NYguy Feb 15, 2018 4:29 AM

http://boerumhillassociation.org/GM%...web%20site.pdf

http://a4.pbase.com/o10/06/102706/1/...ctVvsRd.g0.JPG

http://a4.pbase.com/o10/06/102706/1/...cqRxeV5.g1.JPG

http://a4.pbase.com/o10/06/102706/1/...WPJhYbX.g2.JPG

http://a4.pbase.com/o10/06/102706/1/...ii4bTRb.g3.JPG

http://a4.pbase.com/o10/06/102706/1/...Ra0RvBI.g4.JPG

Hudson11 Feb 15, 2018 5:01 AM

I don't think height should be so much of an issue here, but its a classic NIMBY argument. Density and sightlines are the bigger problem here. It would be a shame to have One Hanson disappear from the skyline for something less worthy, albeit taller. I think its the shorter phase 1 tower which will block more views of Brooklyn's iconic skyscraper. Though in the end, there's 9 DeKalb to look forward to, and that will probably remain unblocked forever.

yankeesfan1000 Feb 15, 2018 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 8085982)

If the mayor wants to hit his affordable housing quota, he needs big developments like this which has 200 affordable units.

It's important to note that with ULURP, any and all Community Board input is advisory and non binding. They submit recommendations to the Borough President, who then submits a recommendation to the City Planning Commission, who's verdict is binding.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but with the affordable housing component, and the new public schools, I imagine this largely survives.

Notyrview Feb 15, 2018 3:23 PM

Lol too much density my ass. There is a housing shortage in NYC and we need mega developments if anyone not obsessed with making well into the six figures is going to be able to stay here. If the city doesn't respond fast, it's going to lose all of it's cultural capital and be left with nothing but greed. Build as many affordable and low-income units as possible so the folks in Brooklyn Heights have to come to terms with their arms-length social justice problem.

peteybrooklyn1959 Feb 16, 2018 5:12 AM

This project should move forward !!!

peteybrooklyn1959 Feb 16, 2018 5:13 AM

#88 Report Post
Unread Posted Today, 5:12 AM

Wait a minute....NYguy...Are you for this project or against it ?? This is Downtown Brooklyn and or bordering that area on Flatbush Avenue...Because of that why should density matter ??? ...This is an incredible "Transit Friendly" project which includes the 200 units of affordable housing and incorporates 2 historic buildings and enhances the skyline of Downtown Brooklyn as well as building a school to enhance the current Khalil Gibran International Academy that a spokesman for the academy said was a "once in a lifetime opportunity" as well as being touted by stating that “it is hard to find a more transit-rich development spot in the five boroughs” on the building’s site as well as being hailed by transit activists in the city by stating that this project is a prime example of transit orientated development and why shouldn't Downtown Brooklyn be entitled to enjoy the same skyline as Lower and Midtown Manhattan ??? This project also enhances the continued re-birth of an area and enhances the aesthetics of that area too (the current building that's there is a complete eyesore and of little use to a downtown region) of the city that 20 years ago...you wouldn't want to have been there after 6 pm at night and as long as it doesn't change the character and the people that currently live there shouldn't this project move forward ??? So what if the developer requests a rezoning change that triples the current FAR for that piece of land even if it's triple to what is current zoned. Don't the benefits exceed the costs ????....And what about the tax revenues and construction jobs that will come with this project ??? Anyone opposed to this project is classic nymbyism in my humble opinion. If they can build a 1066 foot mixed used building at 90 Dekalb, why shouldn't we have a 986 foot transit friendly mixed used tower with much needed office space just a few blocks away ??? Isn't that progress ????

JMKeynes Feb 16, 2018 2:07 PM

Another amazing project for the greatest city in America.

antinimby Feb 16, 2018 2:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 (Post 8086562)
If the mayor wants to hit his affordable housing quota, he needs big developments like this which has 200 affordable units.

It's important to note that with ULURP, any and all Community Board input is advisory and non binding. They submit recommendations to the Borough President, who then submits a recommendation to the City Planning Commission, who's verdict is binding.

Maybe I'm being hopeful, but with the affordable housing component, and the new public schools, I imagine this largely survives.

You guys are misunderstanding my comment on the proposed height. This project most likely will move forward, but perhaps not as proposed.

NIMBYs will do their best to chop down the height, but the project will still get built, just shorter and/or smaller. That’s what NIMBYs do, they try to reduce the scale of a project and the ULURP is their great chance.

JMKeynes Feb 16, 2018 2:40 PM

This is a lot shorter than SHoP's tower next to Junior's.

I think that it will rise to the full height.

steyin Feb 16, 2018 2:43 PM

The number of school seats proposed needs to be doubled IMO.

yankeesfan1000 Feb 16, 2018 4:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antinimby (Post 8087917)
You guys are misunderstanding my comment on the proposed height. This project most likely will move forward, but perhaps not as proposed.

NIMBYs will do their best to chop down the height, but the project will still get built, just shorter and/or smaller. That’s what NIMBYs do, they try to reduce the scale of a project and the ULURP is their great chance.

I agree, I think this will move forward.

My point is the Mayor will want as many affordable units as possible out of this project, and in order to subsidize those units the developer will need to build as many market rate units as possible, which will mean taller.

Again, I agree this will move forward, NIMBY's will fight this tooth and nail, and we may see a height reduction to appease them, but ultimately it comes down to the Mayor as community input is advisory for ULURP.

Crawford Feb 16, 2018 5:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steyin (Post 8087969)
The number of school seats proposed needs to be doubled IMO.

As someone who lives nearby, and has a small child, I couldn't agree more. Schools in this part of Brooklyn are extremely crowded.

NYguy Feb 20, 2018 7:34 AM

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...-skyline/15887

Trifecta of Towers to Remake the Brooklyn Skyline

https://ds3.cityrealty.com/img/eee29...supertalls.jpg

By Ondel Hylton
February 15, 2018

Quote:

Brooklyn’s ascent as New York’s borough of cool has been mirrored in the growth of its once humble skyline. The borough’s beloved clock tower at One Hanson Place (512’ tall) held the title of Brooklyn’s tallest for some 80 years only to be topped by four conventional high-rises finished in the last decade. The new towers - The Brooklyner (531’), 388 Bridge Street (590’), Avalon Willoughby Square (595' or 624'), and current tallest (or is it?) Hub (610’) - have sometimes been accused of not living up to the borough’s creative spirit. Now, a new wave of spires will nip at the ephemeral title, but this time will soar in both height and style as the borough grows in affluence.

Three new towers, two of them supertalls, are poised to straddle Downtown Brooklyn's Flatbush Avenue. Originally a Native American trail, the burgeoning skyscraper corridor has long been anchored by the Williamsburgh Savings Bank and Atlantic Terminal — the city’s second-largest transit hub that is home to 28 train and bus lines. In the late 1920s, the area was slated to become Brooklyn’s “Midtown district,” and now, a century later, a necklace of towers are rising to take full advantage of its rich transportation options, the resurgence of brownstone Brooklyn and the proximity to Manhattan.

https://ds1.cityrealty.com/img/8d76b...yn-skyline.jpg

yankeesfan1000 Feb 20, 2018 5:06 PM

What's the building to left of 9 Dekalb that's unmarked?

Busy Bee Feb 20, 2018 5:06 PM

I'm licking my chops at the fact that the hideous Atlantic Center Mall is in inevitably going to be replaced as well. It may take 10 more years but it's time is near. That property could be an amazing tower as well.

NYguy Feb 20, 2018 7:16 PM

^
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...2&postcount=16

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 (Post 8091981)
What's the building to left of 9 Dekalb that's unmarked?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=217583

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteybrooklyn1959 (Post 8087714)
Wait a minute....NYguy...Are you for this project or against it ??

Just noticed this. Who said I was against it?

Busy Bee Feb 20, 2018 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 8092178)

Ahh yes, I forgot about that. That was 2 years ago? Jeeez