SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Winnipeg Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167137)

Riverman Apr 1, 2009 4:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. (Post 4169163)
The Princess Street Grill is always a good source of a cheap breakfast.

For some reason Princess Grill seems to get better every time I go there. Maybe it's just me...

Bindy's is great if you like roti. Spudtino's on Stafford was great as was Cafe Carlo.

One particularly over rated place I went to was Fusion Grill. Food was very expensive and just so-so, and the room was absolutely filthy.

Kris22 Apr 1, 2009 5:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archiseek (Post 4168738)
food in cafe 22 is generally poor - and i'm being polite

I'm pretty sure the food in cafe 22 is made by pizza hotline. I personally love it because it's cheap and good.

FYI Luxesole has closed down, but they still have their Luxa Lune lounge next door, though I've never been.

I've been to Bistro 7 1/4 twice, and was disappointed with the food both times. It's the kind of place that I want to love--it's unique and has that funky bistro vibe--but I think they need to work some things out on their menu.

Just went to Rae and Jerry's for the first time for lunch and it was SO GOOD. And retro.

wags_in_the_peg Apr 1, 2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mininari (Post 4169829)
Yes, I've had perogies at Alicia's.
I really liked them, but I'm wondering what other restaurants also serve perogies in the North end? I am not familiar with the area.

(now I want to go back to Alicia's for the north end special).

I went to Alicia's recently for the 1st time, even though I've lived in Winnipeg for 34 yrs. It was really good, I brought a guy from Tennessee there and he loved it. I come from a UKRAINIAN background so I always supplies with perogies and cabbage rolls from my baba. anyway, i was dissapointed in the so-called sausage, I was expected some kick ass stuff like they have at Nairn Meats or Metro Meats. Anyway, can't wait to go back!

Jeff Apr 1, 2009 3:57 PM

oh yes.. infero's - they have a great elk dish! tomato pie co. in the village and pizzeria gustav on academy are worth a mention as of late too!!!

has anyone tried that new fazzo's place on corydon? it looks nice with what seems to be a lounge opening up beside it soon. nice addition!

Boreal Apr 1, 2009 4:58 PM

I haven't personally been to fatso - but judging from comments I've heard from one girl who has bartended a number of Corydon establishments, she has nothing but positive things to say.

What is the latest with Basil's. I know that restaurant in the village incurred great damage, and last summer, word was it could take a year to get up and running again. Any updates?

SKYSTHELIMIT Apr 1, 2009 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreal (Post 4171513)
I haven't personally been to fatso - but judging from comments I've heard from one girl who has bartended a number of Corydon establishments, she has nothing but positive things to say.

What is the latest with Basil's. I know that restaurant in the village incurred great damage, and last summer, word was it could take a year to get up and running again. Any updates?

A friend of mine who knows the owner stated that he wanted to get out and the timing with the flooding couldn't have been better. There may be a chance it opens with new management or as a completetly new venture altogether.

1ajs Apr 2, 2009 2:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg (Post 4171149)
I went to Alicia's recently for the 1st time, even though I've lived in Winnipeg for 34 yrs. It was really good, I brought a guy from Tennessee there and he loved it. I come from a UKRAINIAN background so I always supplies with perogies and cabbage rolls from my baba. anyway, i was dissapointed in the so-called sausage, I was expected some kick ass stuff like they have at Nairn Meats or Metro Meats. Anyway, can't wait to go back!

yea the sausage is disapointing :(
the ladies at metro are a riot eh? thinks back to when walter died and the crazy riot of people that flooded that place trying to buy his last batch of meats he made
have u ever hit up the polish meat shop on selkirk?

nordique Apr 2, 2009 2:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4171420)
has anyone tried that new fazzo's place on corydon? it looks nice with what seems to be a lounge opening up beside it soon. nice addition!

do you mean the soon-to-be-opened market deli/grocer?

Jeff Apr 2, 2009 3:05 AM

ohhhh.. i walked by once at night when it was dark and noticed a counter with some lights hanging - automatically thought it was a new lounge.. but judging by how restricted fazzo's liquor licence is, (aka: having to close at 11pm to appease the neighbours) this makes sense!

another good cluster of restaurants: star grill and park towers on portage across from ass. park =)

Archiseek Apr 2, 2009 3:11 AM

fazzo is very nice indeed - enjoyed it a lot

7 1/4 is awesome - am there every two weeks or so.....

mooke Dec 2, 2009 11:40 PM

Kawaii Crepe in Osborne Village

Has anyone seen the signage go up for Kawaii Crepe in Osborne Village. Looks like it will be a great crepe place, sounds like they are opening this coming Saturday.

Donovanf Dec 2, 2009 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooke (Post 4588361)
Has anyone seen the signage go up for Kawaii Crepe in Osborne Village. Looks like it will be a great crepe place, sounds like they are opening this coming Saturday.

Segovia Tapas Bar and Restaurant also just opened in Osborne, just on Stradbrook. Has anyone gone there yet? I want to give it a try.

1ajs Dec 3, 2009 12:11 AM

crepe place? my mothers guna love that!!!

rrskylar Dec 3, 2009 3:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff (Post 4169326)
the paddlewheel in the bay for sheer nostalgia and uniqueness.. where else can you get jell-o, noodle salad and a beer?

for a grease fix, i say vj's drive in wins.
casual/lounge - confusion corner is great!
pasquale's on marion for italian can be great as well.. best caesar salad in town!

No, VJ's can't touch SuperBoys burger!http://photos1.blogger.com/hello/140...0/IMGP0212.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/hello/140...0/IMGP0216.jpg

newflyer Dec 3, 2009 4:03 AM

The Tuxedo Village Family Restaurant has pretty damn good burgers as well. I was very impressed and even somewhat surprised.

1ajs Dec 3, 2009 5:45 AM

yea vj's gyros are aww sweetness

and u can't forget angilos on main st...

or marian st burgers witch has the best burger i have ever had... and i hate burgers thats saying alot....

Bdog Dec 3, 2009 7:01 AM

If someone decides to open a shawarma place in Winnipeg, they will make a killing...

1ajs Dec 3, 2009 7:47 AM

a what now?

vid Dec 3, 2009 7:51 AM

It's like Souvlaki. We have donair places here but I don't know if they have actual Shawarma or if it is just some sort of processed meat junk. One just opened downtown a month or two ago.

1ajs Dec 3, 2009 7:56 AM

huh?