SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   SkyTrain Billions Better Spent on Trams: Study (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152272)

WarrenC12 Sep 5, 2008 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff's two cents (Post 3779724)
I agree wholeheartedly :yes: , but I think there are many out there who would consider the tracks to be an eyesore. I really like the way parts of greater Vancouver have grown around the skytrain. The efforts of Surrey and New Westminster to integrate the elevated track into the urban aesthetic demonstrate, in my opinion, that much can be done with this way of building. The views from the train are also incredible - much more enjoyable than taking the Toronto subway, believe me. I don't even necessarily think space would be an issue on Broadway. The street would lose at most one lane in order to run the system down the middle (I can't recall if there is on-street parking on Broadway - if this is the case, then the street would only lose that - and only on one side). I personally do not mind the sound of trains whizzing by while I shop - actually kind of adds to the experience, if you ask me.

I think you are bang on with most points. One other thing that often gets overlooked is the experience of the station, getting on and off the train, etc. Visiting London and NYC in the summer, the waits for the trains, and the walking to and from the street, are hot, stuffy, painful experiences. In an elevated station you get a breeze, much more of an open feeling, and more things to look at and occupy your time. In NYC you can be at Times Square station and you might as well be in a cave somewhere. The problem is only worse during rush hour crunch times.

Now I contrast that with Chicago, that has a lot of elevated lines. Unfortunately they are built with steel and they cross the entire street, creating a dark and weird feeling at street level. But there are lots of great stations, interesting views, etc on the lines there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by geoff's two cents (Post 3779724)
The protests from residents (who presumably do not use skytrain much) and the business community would be significant, however, and the disruptions associated with building an above-ground line, coupled with the fact that the city probably could not "pull a Cambie" here - particularly in the the more upscale districts - means that it's likely to be a less exciting, and much more expensive, tunnel. Doesn't make it any less imperative though. The idea of an airport line was great, but the lack of a skytrain line along this corridor strikes me as a glaring inadequacy. Should have been done years ago.

Having said that, has an elevated Broadway line been considered at all?

Does anybody know if there is any UBC activism to start building the line at an earlier date?

In my ideal, dictatorial universe, the province would run roughshod over the opposition and build an elevated line as soon as humanly possibly.

Who says we don't live in a dictatorial province? Considering the recent transit announcements, nothing would surprise me. Although Campbell might have to change from his Point Grey riding if he wants to get re-elected after that.

I don't think that we need to go all elevated or all tunnel, but I'd like to see elevated as the first choice, tunnel as a last resort.

The Canada line should have been the same but they went overboard with the tunnel.. Cambie was a perfect street for an above ground line. Of course Arbutus would have been even better. :notacrook:

jlousa Sep 5, 2008 5:04 PM

Well the talk has been a tunnel under 10th ave as the elevation would be similar to Broadway, I don't know if there's been a study on this but could they not run an elevated line along 8th ave. You could keep the broadway basking in sunlight, not lose any traffic lanes and it would be much cheaper then tunneling along 10th. One downside I can see is connecting it to the Canada Line at Cambie.

dreambrother808 Sep 5, 2008 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenC12 (Post 3780251)
Now I contrast that with Chicago, that has a lot of elevated lines. Unfortunately they are built with steel and they cross the entire street, creating a dark and weird feeling at street level. But there are lots of great stations, interesting views, etc on the lines there.

The streets in Chicago with elevated track have little to no life, no people, no businesses. They seem to function more as back alleys even though they are full-sized streets.

fever Sep 5, 2008 5:27 PM

I think there's a trunk sewer line under 8th Avenue. I can't verify that because VanMap runs on a Windows only plugin. A stacked cut-and-cover subway under 10th makes the most sense from Main to Arbutus.

jlousa Sep 5, 2008 5:47 PM

But the sewer lines wouldn't effect an elevated line along 8th line. You would need to lose some parking stalls on each side to build the columns, but you'd still be able to keep most of the onstreet parking, by creating bulges only where the columns are needed. I'm sure the residents along 8th ave wouldn't want it there.

fever Sep 5, 2008 6:18 PM

8th Ave is really wide in places, especially west of Alma (remnants of Bartholomew plan? I can't find that map. Notice how it connects to Chancellor on the UEL). Views from the stations would be amazing, too. That said, I doubt it would be considered seriously.

officedweller Sep 5, 2008 6:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasine (Post 3779739)
I will KILL anyone who votes for having a SkyTrain running down the centre of Broadway... anyone remember Lougheed? I'm fine with it on the side (similar to Richmond). but still I would prefer it to be underground. The Broadway-District is becoming basically like an extension of downtown nowadays. Just run the train at-grade when it hits Pacific Park and then above after that... though wasn't there something with UBC not liking that...

I agree that you would not be able to run it elevated down the middle of Broadway - because it would require stations with mezzanines (like Brentwood) - which in turn means that the guideway would be much taller than required and the station structures (with mezzanine) would overshadow the street too much (because you can't have a stairway down to the middle of the street).

i.e. Bangkok cross-section from BTS:
http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Sky...BTSStation.JPG

In my view the only elevated option would be via the 16th Ave. median (west from MacDonald with stations in the median) and approaching campus from the south (through the new projects). Unfortunately, that would miss some population density along Broadway.

For 8th Ave. - it would depend on the placement of the trunk sewer. You would not be able to place a column directly over the sewer - or maybe even within the sewer ROW (which could be as wide as the road?), in anticipation of maintenance and repairs and twinning the sewer in future. And having "bents" down the whole length of 8th Ave. (to keep the footings away from the sewer ROW) would be awful.

I still prefer an underground route to UBC (via 10th Ave.) to at least the endowment lands.

WarrenC12 Sep 5, 2008 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreambrother808 (Post 3780460)
The streets in Chicago with elevated track have little to no life, no people, no businesses. They seem to function more as back alleys even though they are full-sized streets.

I think you're being a bit harsh. Skytrain's concrete columns in the middle of the road are better than Chicago, but there are lines that run all over downtown, particularly in the business district, close to the Sears Tower, etc. Those aren't alleys.

agrant Sep 5, 2008 8:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlousa (Post 3780518)
But the sewer lines wouldn't effect an elevated line along 8th line. You would need to lose some parking stalls on each side to build the columns, but you'd still be able to keep most of the onstreet parking, by creating bulges only where the columns are needed. I'm sure the residents along 8th ave wouldn't want it there.

I happen to be one of those residents. :) Never going to happen. Noise level for one thing...(that goes for an above ground Broadway route as well), the sewer, and I can't imagine how you'd go about stuffing the guideway along it. An above ground guideway along 8th is about as fitting as an above ground oil pipeline along Robson St. :D

paradigm4 Sep 5, 2008 8:21 PM

As much as I too like the "Sky" part of the SkyTrain, I do understand it's difficult to incorporate the guideway into fully built areas like Vancouver Central, and I would be hesitant to have the route above ground on a road as busy and bustling as Broadway. It could seriously ruin the streetscape. I think the best compromise is to go underground for most of Broadway, but ensure that SkyTrain comes to either surface or above ground once it enters the Endowment Lands. I don't think people here realize how much they are going to miss the sunlight and views of the SkyTrain when they start riding the Canada Line, and we should attempt to preserve this nice aspect of the system as much as possible. Heck, we already live in a cloudy/rainy city, we don't need to be stuck in tunnels for our commutes as well...

Gordon Sep 5, 2008 8:35 PM

Does anyone know if Translink has receivd some of their new Skytrain cars, becuse they have been able to add 2 shuttle trains(2000 passanger spaces) between Broadway Stn. & Waterfront St., and run longer trains according to Drew Snider( from a Vancouver Sun article):cool:

WarrenC12 Sep 5, 2008 9:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 3780857)
Does anyone know if Translink has receivd some of their new Skytrain cars, becuse they have been able to add 2 shuttle trains(2000 passanger spaces) between Broadway Stn. & Waterfront St., and run longer trains according to Drew Snider( from a Vancouver Sun article):cool:

I thought they had more trains but overall capacity hadn't increased because MKI trains were being removed for upgrades as new MKII trains arrived.

officedweller Sep 5, 2008 9:30 PM

New cars don't arrive til 2009

SpongeG Sep 7, 2008 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradigm4 (Post 3780812)
As much as I too like the "Sky" part of the SkyTrain, I do understand it's difficult to incorporate the guideway into fully built areas like Vancouver Central, and I would be hesitant be have the route above ground on a street as busy and bustling as Broadway. It could seriously ruin the streetscape. I think the best compromise is to go underground for most of Broadway, but ensure that SkyTrain comes to either surface or above ground once it enters the Endowment Lands. I don't think people here realize how much they are going to miss the sunlight and views of the SkyTrain when they start riding the Canada Line, and we should attempt to preserve this nice aspect of the system as much as possible. Heck, we already live in a cloudy/rainy city, we don't need to be stuck in tunnels for our commutes as well...

sun :koko: do you live in vancouver :haha:

j/k

punkster1982 Sep 7, 2008 9:34 PM

Couldn't skytrain somehow be built in the alley behind broadway, like the expo line in New West? How did they even built that back in the day and how did they convince New West to go along with it?!

Jared Sep 7, 2008 10:02 PM

Well, most people on here are in favour of having it run under 10th avenue from Main onwards. I'm not sure an alleyway would be wide enough.

deasine Sep 7, 2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkster1982 (Post 3784447)
Couldn't skytrain somehow be built in the alley behind broadway, like the expo line in New West? How did they even built that back in the day and how did they convince New West to go along with it?!

Well I'm sure that doesn't follow the CPTED design standards (i probably got that acronym wrong XD)... doing that is just asking for crime to come to the back doors of broadway businesses and residents

jlousa Sep 7, 2008 10:45 PM

Acutally it would follow CPTED (Crime prevention thru environmental design) Anything that increases eyes on the street is a good thing.

No different then DVBIA's idea to remove garbage bins from downtown alleys to make it a more inviting place to walk. It's believed that by adding foot traffic you decrease crime.

SpongeG Sep 7, 2008 11:27 PM

most of the UBC line is residential - 8th avenue is residential 10th is residential

9th (broadway) is mixed

I can't imagine the richies on west 8th saying oh yes please build a monstrosity in our backyard so 1000's can view me

fever Sep 7, 2008 11:36 PM

I don't really get the cpted connection

neither alley is continuous anyway