SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Edmonton (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=648)
-   -   Edmonton Food, Coffee, Dining, etc. (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140637)

Hallsy's Toupee Jun 27, 2011 3:10 AM

Whereabouts on RHW? Also, there's already a Good Earth in City Centre mall - is that staying put?

Coldrsx Jun 27, 2011 3:10 PM

Bubble Buzz (in Icon I) officially opens today... go check it out!

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...icture1-32.png

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...icture3-17.png

SHOFEAR Jun 27, 2011 4:05 PM

/\ by total chance I ended up being there first customer. The waffels are good.

240glt Jun 27, 2011 7:00 PM

Bah, bubble drinks are sooooo 2001.

They're pretty gross too, IMO.

Coldrsx Jun 27, 2011 7:18 PM

I cant have them everyday, but i do love sago.

ciudad_del_norte Jun 27, 2011 8:32 PM

Tried one from there today and it actually wasn't bad. Usually found them pretty gross in the past but the lack of oversweetened fake fruit flavour and made it a lot better.

Airboy Jun 27, 2011 8:48 PM

Went to the Marc on Saturday and found it quite pleasant, other than the fire alarm. Food was good, service was excellent and the price was great. Apps, main, dessert and a bottle of good wine -for 2 of us- $130.00

Was a bit noisy but so are allot of places now.

Coldrsx Jun 27, 2011 9:09 PM

^i like some noise, especially in a place like that. I wonder why their patio is not open yet.

Coldrsx Jun 27, 2011 9:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte (Post 5330270)
Tried one from there today and it actually wasn't bad. Usually found them pretty gross in the past but the lack of oversweetened fake fruit flavour and made it a lot better.

So I heard:cheers:

...and I agree, the real fruit is what makes the difference.

Airboy Jun 27, 2011 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5330329)
^i like some noise, especially in a place like that. I wonder why their patio is not open yet.

They mentioned probably this week. would have made it comfortable standing around with my full wine glass waiting for the FD to clear the alarm

Coldrsx Jun 27, 2011 9:59 PM

You should have popped over while in alarm.

Airboy Jun 27, 2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5330427)
You should have popped over while in alarm.

Actually it was quite fun out on the steps. Staff kept the glasses full.

EdmTrekker Jun 28, 2011 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee (Post 5329564)
Whereabouts on RHW? Also, there's already a Good Earth in City Centre mall - is that staying put?

Scotia Place - where the Travel Agency was.

MacLac Jun 28, 2011 1:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5330152)
I cant have them everyday, but i do love sago.

I always thought of myself as somewhat wordly - I guess I'm not - never heard of "bubble" drinks!!

Just came back from my yearly trek to Seattle - shopping for the old lady, great ballpark and wicked food incl. 3X daily happy hours. The restaurants downtown there are INSANE - must be half dozen quality restaurants on every block. Plus, the downtown foot traffic there was insane. Man, the new residential highrises are going up like nuts too, including their new RBC center office building and new Hyatt hotel only 1 block from another 10 yr old Hyatt.

Coldrsx Jun 28, 2011 7:10 AM

They have been doing good things, but trust me... Even ten years ago much of "downtown" was pretty meh. That said their strides are vast in sone areas.

Coldrsx Jun 28, 2011 9:46 PM

A shot by Sharon Yeo of 'Bubble Buzz

http://static.flickr.com/5032/5880224544_2a18a7e921.jpg
(http://static.flickr.com/5032/5880224544_2a18a7e921.jpg)

Bubble Buzz (10140 – 104 Street) opened for business on June 25, meaning in addition to great coffee, we now have a bubble tea option on the street! The owners have done a great job renovating the former Taco del Mar space into a clean, modern storefront. Check out their menu here (they only use real fruit for their drinks), as well as their opening week specials!

link to her food blog
http://onlyhereforthefood.ca/

Coldrsx Jun 29, 2011 8:27 PM

Hit up Fantasia for lunch, as I often do, today and had one of their specials.

Roasted Bacon wrapped stuffed pork x2, potato croqs, veggies, $9.95. It was delicious.

Hallsy's Toupee Jun 30, 2011 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5332773)
Hit up Fantasia for lunch, as I often do, today and had one of their specials.

Roasted Bacon wrapped stuffed pork x2, potato croqs, veggies, $9.95. It was delicious.

Huh? Is this the same Fantasia that was @ Jasper Block? Did they reopen somewhere else?

rapid_business Jun 30, 2011 5:34 PM

From Tres Carnales twitter feed:
Quote:

RT @TresCarnales: We'll be open as of 5pm today. Let the summer begin! #yegfood

Coldrsx Jul 1, 2011 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onishenko (Post 5333723)
From Tres Carnales twitter feed:

About time... and awesome.

^^no

CanadianCentaur Jul 2, 2011 6:26 PM

Tres Carnales didn't disappoint me when I went in last night for a chicken taco and a Corona. The tacos were super-awesome!

I'd definitely be back there for sure.

Hallsy's Toupee Jul 2, 2011 6:37 PM

Pressd is now open in the Allard block (Jasper Ave bet 112 and 113 Sts)

rapid_business Jul 2, 2011 9:28 PM

Hit up Sugar Bowl before the Capitals Game and fireworks last night. I have to say, that is one of my favourite places in Edmonton. I always order the lamb burger with goat cheese when there, and it never disappoints.

Coldrsx Jul 7, 2011 6:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur (Post 5335515)
Tres Carnales didn't disappoint me when I went in last night for a chicken taco and a Corona. The tacos were super-awesome!

Was there today at lunch, PACKED and DELICIOUS.

trick - everyone order different versions and share.

EdmTrekker Jul 8, 2011 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur (Post 5335515)

My problem is the price point for very small portions of everything we had...we all left hungry. And ate again later. They need some more "filling" menu items for hungry boys. That said, they had Pacifico which we love so I was very happy.

240glt Jul 11, 2011 6:52 PM

Argyl Market

We stopped into the Argyl Market on the NE corner of Argyl and 99st, I was looking for a particular type of mexican hot sauce.

If you are looking for imported mexican food this store is great.... selection is a bit limited but they do have a pretty good variety of different types of mexican foods (they even import coke in glass bottles!) and the prices are very good considering what you pay at other specialty stores. I will definitely be back once I exhaust my supply of Salsa Huichol

s211 Jul 11, 2011 7:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacLac (Post 5330658)
I always thought of myself as somewhat wordly - I guess I'm not - never heard of "bubble" drinks!!

Just came back from my yearly trek to Seattle - shopping for the old lady, great ballpark and wicked food incl. 3X daily happy hours. The restaurants downtown there are INSANE - must be half dozen quality restaurants on every block. Plus, the downtown foot traffic there was insane. Man, the new residential highrises are going up like nuts too, including their new RBC center office building and new Hyatt hotel only 1 block from another 10 yr old Hyatt.

Yup. Seattle in some ways feels like a more grown-up version of Vancouver, and with better quality housing stock to boot. Lot more brick and stone, much less stucco.

danby Jul 13, 2011 12:09 AM

About time on this one, Cant wait to check it out!
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...096/story.html

Coldrsx Jul 13, 2011 12:21 AM

Pig flying

Great news, no EXCELLENT news

Hallsy's Toupee Jul 13, 2011 1:10 AM

Quote:

The Urban Green Cafe and the River Valley Adventure Co. opened in Louise McKinney Park on Canada Day, offering bottled drinks, gelato, bike and sports equipment rentals, and Segway tours, co-owner Chris Szydlowski says.
Quote:

Szydlowski plans to stay open year ’round, renting snowshoes or setting up ball hockey games when the weather turns cold.

But thoughts of sitting down with a beer or a glass of wine will have to wait for him to apply for a liquor licence, which won’t happen until at least next year.
"Oh nooes! A business operating in the river valley! The horror, the horror!"

About time something opened there. I too can't wait to check it out.

bulliver Jul 13, 2011 2:08 AM

Yet it is still Edmonton half-ass all the way. Wake me up when you can get a cup of coffee there...

SHOFEAR Jul 13, 2011 8:18 PM

How long has Press'd been open up on 112 Street? had it for the first time today...not bad, not fantastic....not much better than a sandwich brought from home...

Hallsy's Toupee Jul 13, 2011 8:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHOFEAR (Post 5346408)
How long has Press'd been open up on 112 Street? had it for the first time today...not bad, not fantastic....not much better than a sandwich brought from home...

They opened about a month ago.
I've only been to the City Centre Mall location...not bad at all!

mick Jul 14, 2011 3:27 PM

Does this mean I can now get a beer and enjoy it outside in lmp.

Hallsy's Toupee Jul 20, 2011 7:31 PM

Looks like Taste of Ukraine won't be re-opening in Icon II as originally rumored, looking at St. Albert:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...own-july-24th/

Coldrsx Jul 20, 2011 7:33 PM

Very unfortunate, would have been a perfect fit for 104st... yet another lost opportunity to bring more downtown downtown.

Coldrsx Jul 25, 2011 3:08 PM

Yellowhead Brewery is now open to the public.

Sat - 11-5pm
Sun - 3-close

I believe they are having bands on Sunday nights.

The menu is about perfect with ~12 offerings of great variety. I had the burger with potatoes, delicious.

EdmTrekker Jul 26, 2011 2:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5352925)
Very unfortunate, would have been a perfect fit for 104st... yet another lost opportunity to bring more downtown downtown.

I disagree...not a perfect fit at all. Unlike for e.g.: Bistro Praha...which serves continental menu choices and is chock full of atmosphere...Ukrainian perogi and borsht is a nice market. We have several new places that have opened in the last 6 months and living downtown for 20 years and having visited them all I see casualties already. Actually I saw them the day they announced the idea. I will not name the 2 that are at the top of the list - but if you live, play and dine downtown like I do...you know which ones. That said there is opportunity - but not for dreamers with little coin in the pocket. What will survive are Gastropubs...like the Yardhouse...if we were to get one. Much of that volume will come from pillaging existing establishments that have done precious little in terms of upgrading their establishments and food (choice, quality and service).

EdmTrekker Jul 26, 2011 2:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5358070)
Yellowhead Brewery is now open to the public.

Sat - 11-5pm
Sun - 3-close

I believe they are having bands on Sunday nights.

The menu is about perfect with ~12 offerings of great variety. I had the burger with potatoes, delicious.

DT blues/jazz club :)

Coldrsx Jul 27, 2011 7:10 PM

2 new food trucks out roaming the streets of downtown:

Nomad - 102st/jasper
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...o-mobile-food/

&
Drift - 108st jasper
http://driftfoodtruck.ca/

Awesome

EdmTrekker Jul 27, 2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldrsx (Post 5360761)
2 new food trucks out roaming the streets of downtown:

Nomad - 102st/jasper
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...o-mobile-food/

&
Drift - 108st jasper
http://driftfoodtruck.ca/

Awesome

I agree...duck confit from a truck moves us to the big leagues in this segment. Imagine...having your Design Consultant take you streetside for a duck confit "wich" and chiw down & walk through the Leg....this would require balls or titties of titanium.

edmontonoilers89 Jul 28, 2011 5:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmTrekker (Post 5358813)
I disagree...not a perfect fit at all. Unlike for e.g.: Bistro Praha...which serves continental menu choices and is chock full of atmosphere...Ukrainian perogi and borsht is a nice market. We have several new places that have opened in the last 6 months and living downtown for 20 years and having visited them all I see casualties already. Actually I saw them the day they announced the idea. I will not name the 2 that are at the top of the list - but if you live, play and dine downtown like I do...you know which ones. That said there is opportunity - but not for dreamers with little coin in the pocket. What will survive are Gastropubs...like the Yardhouse...if we were to get one. Much of that volume will come from pillaging existing establishments that have done precious little in terms of upgrading their establishments and food (choice, quality and service).

Did you say Yardhouse? Just got back from Waikiki a few weeks ago and discovered this place...and boy did it become my sanctuary there. If we got one here one day I'd literally be in heaven.

EdmTrekker Jul 29, 2011 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmontonoilers89 (Post 5361461)
Did you say Yardhouse? Just got back from Waikiki a few weeks ago and discovered this place...and boy did it become my sanctuary there. If we got one here one day I'd literally be in heaven.

Yes I said Yardhouse...and I also love the place and been to one in HNL, both locations in LAS.

From Colds post below and my comment about duck confit...had a duck confit sandwich today from Drift and it was super good!!!. The wait though with 100 others was not though.

Coldrsx Jul 29, 2011 1:36 AM

We tried to go today but gave up...

ciudad_del_norte Jul 29, 2011 4:17 PM

^^agreed. Duck sandwich was delicious...but it was about 30 min wait to get it. Hopefully they in time they manage to speed it up a bit.

rapid_business Jul 29, 2011 4:24 PM

Speeding up is good, but creating demand and having a product people are willing to wait for is even better. The "Halal Cart Guy" in NYC for instance is world famous and has a product that has people lining up all hours of the day for. The story creates as much demand as the product.

SHOFEAR Jul 29, 2011 9:45 PM

A coworker just showed me the "taste 118" street map that shows all the restaurants in the area and breaks them down into catagories.....it's a fantastic Idea and It would be awesome if the DBA did something similar for all the non food court restaurants.

DRan Jul 29, 2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdmTrekker (Post 5362389)
Yes I said Yardhouse...and I also love the place and been to one in HNL, both locations in LAS.

From Colds post below and my comment about duck confit...had a duck confit sandwich today from Drift and it was super good!!!. The wait though with 100 others was not though.

I spoke with a expansion rep from Yardhouse today about francishing oportunity in Canada. All of their establishments are owned privatly by 'the company', so they would be the ones to open up shop here under their brand.

But the major issue with them expanding into Canada is the fact there is already a group in Canada that owns the rights to the name. He told me they are aware of the project, the arena district, and have been contacted directly by investors involved. Regardless of what they could or couldn't do in Canada, they are focusing on the States, opening 15+ locations over the next two years. Stating that they are going after the low hanging fruit before looking to other markets.

So since someone has contacted them, I am assuming we will be seeing something of a similar concept. But it wouldnt be a Yardhouse that we all know and love

CanadianCentaur Jul 30, 2011 12:04 AM

Yardhouse? Interesting, though up until now, I've never heard of that franchise before. But then again, I don't travel to the US very often.

About that group in Canada having rights to that same name as that in the US - it's a resto-bar with a couple of locations in Calgary - yardhouse.ca . I don't know anything about that one, as I didn't know about that fact until I just Googled it.

rapid_business Jul 30, 2011 12:05 AM

You know that Katz & Co. are also probably looking to get Real Sports to open their next location in the Arena district too...