SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation & Infrastructure (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   SkyTrain Billions Better Spent on Trams: Study (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152272)

agrant Sep 4, 2008 10:41 PM

Like many, I feel it should be underground rapid transit or nothing at all. We'll continue to see more people year after year. We need something that will keep us going for another hundred years. I see rapid transit as the only way to do that, and a UBC line seems to be a big missing link in the rapid transit network. The unfortunate thing is that it will cost a few billion for it. If we can't afford that, LRT is still not the way to go though.

WarrenC12 Sep 4, 2008 11:28 PM

Am I crazy hoping for more elevated lines? I think part of the charm of the current Skytrain lines is all of the scenery, especially when you go from Broadway to Stadium.

The Canada Line had the opportunity to show off some scenery but it will be a long dark ride.

An elevated line from Broadway to UBC would be great.

jlousa Sep 4, 2008 11:44 PM

You could always paint the walls inside the tunnel, make it the longest mural in the world. :tup:

Gordon Sep 5, 2008 12:34 AM

Maybe 1 thing that Translink could do is set up a maze to control the crowd with steel barricades on the outside of the maze to deter line jumping.

Th 91 B Line goes into service next fall, maybe they should consider starting that service in January if that is possible?

agrant Sep 5, 2008 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 3779018)
Maybe 1 thing that Translink could do is set up a maze to control the crowd with steel barricades on the outside of the maze to deter line jumping.

Th 91 B Line goes into service next fall, maybe they should consider starting that service in January if that is possible?

I'd go further and electrify the maze.

deasine Sep 5, 2008 2:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon (Post 3779018)

Oddly enough, not many people take the 43. I've been on the bus many times in peek hours (and off-er peek hours [since it only runs in peek hours but not in the peek of peek hours XD]) and I notice that:

-There are only people standing up when they use a nonarticulated bus [in morning and afternoon rushes]
-It's usually comfortably full when they use an articulated bus and only lots of people standing when it's a snowy or rainy day
-Not as much people when you use a bus in the other direction

I'm still kind of shocked since it's really the fastest bus route in the South Vancouver area. But then I would really want a few things addressed before they have the new bline route:
-Remove parking from Kingsway to Joyce SkyTrain Station on Joyce St. so it's two lane traffic
-New Bus Loop for Joyce on the Southeast side of the station instead of using the current one... the current one is basically maxed out, and it would be better if the B-Line could be with the rest of the bus routes
-Traffic Priority Systems
-Modern, Distinct Bus Shelters
-Addition of the Rupert Stop

Jared Sep 5, 2008 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenC12 (Post 3778865)
Am I crazy hoping for more elevated lines? I think part of the charm of the current Skytrain lines is all of the scenery, especially when you go from Broadway to Stadium.

The Canada Line had the opportunity to show off some scenery but it will be a long dark ride.

I too prefer elevated, they're cheaper (usually) and they offer nice views. However, in the context of a UBC line, where exactly would you put it? right down broadway?

lightrail Sep 5, 2008 5:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paradigm4 (Post 3778187)
The thing about at-grade LRT vs BRT is there is very little difference between the two in terms of capacity. Yes, the light rail option would carry a handful more passengers, but is that worth the huge price difference - no not really.

The reason you would choose LRT over BRT is you'd want to stimulate economic growth - that is, densification around transit stops. That's something you are almost guaranteed not to get with BRT. However, in an already dense corridor like Broadway, this is not an issue.

So in terms of moving people to and fro, we already have an excellent system with the B-Line, and spending the money to upgrade to surface light rail won't prove to be a good use of our taxes.

If it was underground light rail, it's a different story. Then the speed difference might justify the cost. However, it's not the rail that makes underground expensive, it's the tunneling. Besides, if you are going to tunnel, why force commuters to transfer. Furthermore, with such high frequencies, using an automated technology like SkyTrain would allow for much more efficient and reliable headways that a system that is human driven.

Conclusion: In this specific case, along Broadway, it only makes sense that if we are going to invest in upgrading the route that we should do so with underground SkyTrain.

Let's make sure we're all talking the same thing. Light Rail is a catch all and could mean one of many different systems with vastly different capacities.

1. Streetcar - light rail running on the street in traffic - similar capacity to a bus, but can usually connect two together to double capacity

2. Streetcar on own right of way - same as above but faster, still stops for lights, operates on line-of-sight

3. LRT runs mainly on dedicated right of way, can run on the streets or in tunnels (Edmonton, Calgary, Manchester, Portland). Several cars can be joined to form longer trains, in the case of the SD160s and U2s used in Edmonton and Calgary, the maximum is 5-car trains, around 125m trains. Headways limited by signalling, but can run as frequently as a subway system. Can be high floor or low-floor systems. Can be third-rail or overhead or both pickup systems. Dedicated rights-of-way usually have static block signalling.

4. Train-trams - light rail version of multiple unit trains - can be electric or diesel - designed to run faster and longer distances.

5. ALRT - Skytrain - automated light rail technology - higher capacity due mainly to complete grade separation and computer controlled moving block signalling, allowing trains to run very close together, in the case of Vancouver as close as every 40 seconds.

While I prefer ALRT (Skytrain) - it would be possible to build a tunnelled LRT line under Broadway instead - it just doesn't make sense - might as well extend M-line to UBC to avoid break in travel for people and to take advantage of keeping the same technology.

NetMapel Sep 5, 2008 5:37 AM

Here is my personal hope within the next 10 years:
- Extend the Expo Line to Newton, at least (Would like to see it reach South Surrey/White Rock, but I'm being realistic here) whether it be underground or elevated.

- Evergreen Line should extend from Lougheed Town Centre westward and cut across Burnaby to reach Metrotown station or any of the stations around that area. Furthermore, it should be extended to reach either the Oakridge/Langara station of Canada line (Both looks like good station to cross, but I'll give the upper edge to Oakridge because of the mall). In the end, the Evergreen Line should go all the way westward to Dunbar St.

- Extend the M Line to reach UBC along West Broadway. It's a frigging travesty that such a major street has no sky train line. This should be done all underground.

GMasterAres Sep 5, 2008 5:51 AM

I think some of you give the potential Mayor of Vancouver too much credit. If a no vote couldn't stop RAV, no new Mayor of Vancouver will stop the UBC line if they go forward with it and decide on Sky Train. Translink doesn't answer to Vancouver, it answers to the Province, and the Province does whatever it wants when it wants.

I don't always agree with that method of doing things, but it's how it's done and any Mayor saying they will kill the UBC line is just blowing fluff up people's behinds.

squeezied Sep 5, 2008 5:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhausner (Post 3779671)
I think some of you give the potential Mayor of Vancouver too much credit. If Sam couldn't stop RAV, no new Mayor of Vancouver will stop the UBC line if they go forward with it and decide on Sky Train.

sorry for the ignorance, but sam was against the rav line??

GMasterAres Sep 5, 2008 5:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetMapel (Post 3779648)
Here is my personal hope within the next 10 years:
- Extend the Expo Line to Newton, at least (Would like to see it reach South Surrey/White Rock, but I'm being realistic here) whether it be underground or elevated.

- Evergreen Line should extend from Lougheed Town Centre westward and cut across Burnaby to reach Metrotown station or any of the stations around that area. Furthermore, it should be extended to reach either the Oakridge/Langara station of Canada line (Both looks like good station to cross, but I'll give the upper edge to Oakridge because of the mall). In the end, the Evergreen Line should go all the way westward to Dunbar St.

- Extend the M Line to reach UBC along West Broadway. It's a frigging travesty that such a major street has no sky train line. This should be done all underground.

I agree with 1 and 3. Burnaby doesn't have enough population imo to warrant having 3 x Sky Train lines right now before South of Fraser gets some serious expansion in that department so I'd be nope for extending the Evergreen Line as #2. Maybe in 2040.

GMasterAres Sep 5, 2008 6:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeezied (Post 3779674)
sorry for the ignorance, but sam was against the rav line??

Sorry mix up on my part it was Raymond Louie and David Cadman that were against RAV. Regardless I recall that vote being a no and it ending up being pointless anyway. Like I said, no Mayor will stop a project pushed by the Province.

Editted my original post to correct the mistake on my part, thanks.

mr.x Sep 5, 2008 6:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhausner (Post 3779682)
Sorry mix up on my part it was Raymond Louie and David Cadman that were against RAV. Regardless I recall that vote being a no and it ending up being pointless anyway. Like I said, no Mayor will stop a project pushed by the Province.

Editted my original post to correct the mistake on my part, thanks.

Weren't Raymond Louie and a North Vancouver councillor responsible for saving the RAV line after the second NO vote?

GMasterAres Sep 5, 2008 6:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.x2 (Post 3779687)
Weren't Raymond Louie and a North Vancouver councillor responsible for saving the RAV line after the second NO vote?

I believe that may be so. I remember the NPA ripping on both for voting no saying they were bowing down to external pressures and not thinking about Vancouver first. I was actually mixing up Mayor Sam with the Mayor of Burnaby on the initial mistake. I kind of (maybe unfairly) lump them together when it comes to that type of stuff because they always came across as being deadset against everything outside their two cities.

*shrug*

geoff's two cents Sep 5, 2008 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarrenC12 (Post 3778865)

I agree wholeheartedly :yes: , but I think there are many out there who would consider the tracks to be an eyesore. I really like the way parts of greater Vancouver have grown around the skytrain. The efforts of Surrey and New Westminster to integrate the elevated track into the urban aesthetic demonstrate, in my opinion, that much can be done with this way of building. The views from the train are also incredible - much more enjoyable than taking the Toronto subway, believe me. I don't even necessarily think space would be an issue on Broadway. The street would lose at most one lane in order to run the system down the middle (I can't recall if there is on-street parking on Broadway - if this is the case, then the street would only lose that - and only on one side). I personally do not mind the sound of trains whizzing by while I shop - actually kind of adds to the experience, if you ask me.

The protests from residents (who presumably do not use skytrain much) and the business community would be significant, however, and the disruptions associated with building an above-ground line, coupled with the fact that the city probably could not "pull a Cambie" here - particularly in the the more upscale districts - means that it's likely to be a less exciting, and much more expensive, tunnel. Doesn't make it any less imperative though. The idea of an airport line was great, but the lack of a skytrain line along this corridor strikes me as a glaring inadequacy. Should have been done years ago.

Having said that, has an elevated Broadway line been considered at all?

Does anybody know if there is any UBC activism to start building the line at an earlier date?

In my ideal, dictatorial universe, the province would run roughshod over the opposition and build an elevated line as soon as humanly possibly.

deasine Sep 5, 2008 7:21 AM

I will KILL anyone who votes for having a SkyTrain running down the centre of Broadway... anyone remember Lougheed? I'm fine with it on the side (similar to Richmond). but still I would prefer it to be underground. The Broadway-District is becoming basically like an extension of downtown nowadays. Just run the train at-grade when it hits Pacific Park and then above after that... though wasn't there something with UBC not liking that...

Hate to be a conversation killer, but continuing from the 41st avenue b-line problem, during rush hours, the primary problem is congestion before an intersection. Now there are many waves to solve this: median bus-only lanes, traffic priority like hold-a-green light (used on Main St. now), etc. But then in between major traffic crossings, there is hardly any congestion whatsoever, so the median bus lane isn't necessary yet. I came up with a concept (on the bus) that gives priority to both local 41 bus and b-line 91:
http://members.shaw.ca/myscribbles/concept.jpg

Kind of weird I know, but basically how it works is that a bus only lane is built from an intersection so that buses don't have to wait in-line. They would enter the bus-only lane located in the centre. Buses passing the sensor located in the ground will trigger the lights to turn red for all traffic and turn on a bus-only signal. It will be done in a way that clears the intersection on time for a bus to enter the intersection then immediately merge to the right most lane to the bus stop. Note the bus does not continue on the bus only lane as that is for the opposing direction (notice the yellow lines). The bus only lane will be separated from the general purpose lane by a narrow median similar to this one used in Surrey (of course a bigger one could be used depending on how much space is avaliable in the interesection):
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2eDVXg21BRE/R0...Q/IMG_4704.JPG

Thoughts?

geoff's two cents Sep 5, 2008 7:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deasine (Post 3779739)
I will KILL anyone who votes for having a SkyTrain running down the centre of Broadway...

Now, now. . .:)

The_Henry_Man Sep 5, 2008 8:34 AM

^The biggest problem with congestion and speed for the 91 B-Line would be the intersection and its surroundings at W.41st and W/E Boulevard. You don't really have the room to expand W.41st even by one lane exclusively for buses. That place is SO congested especially when school is over from 1500-1700h. Perhaps getting rid of the on-street parking there during rush hours might be the best solution? And Translink should make W.41st west from W. Boulevard two lanes each way. I don't really get why it's 2 lanes westbound but only one lane eastbound. Come on, W.41st is a major E-W arterial!!

deasine Sep 5, 2008 8:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man (Post 3779790)
^The biggest problem with congestion and speed for the 91 B-Line would be the intersection and its surroundings at W.41st and W/E Boulevard. You don't really have the room to expand W.41st even by one lane exclusively for buses. That place is SO congested especially when school is over from 1500-1700h. Perhaps getting rid of the on-street parking there during rush hours might be the best solution? And Translink should make W.41st west from W. Boulevard two lanes each way. I don't really get why it's 2 lanes westbound but only one lane eastbound. Come on, W.41st is a major E-W arterial!!

True, they would need a hold-a-green light traffic priority there. I always thought W blvd and E blvd should just be one way (and just one street: Arbutus)