SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Canada (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL Thread: Season 2018-2019 (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=234073)

Denscity Apr 24, 2019 1:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 8550396)
And to think, 4 of those goals were scored on a major penalty that should have been a 2 minute minor at most. Yikes.

Yup. I guess the hockey gods made up for the Knight's favoured draft situation etc.

TorontoDrew Apr 24, 2019 1:58 PM

Ugh, I hate to say it but I think Boston might win this year.

Before the playoffs started I thought Boston might be the team to beat given how good they were second half of the season. Boston and Washington (should they win) are the only two teams who I think have the depth and experience to win it all. The Sharks have been there before, and maybe have a shot. The rest are just happy to be advancing to the second round.

HomeInMyShoes Apr 24, 2019 2:02 PM

Go Bruins! :haha: No.

That was insane. I don't think I've seen a team score four goals on a powerplay since ever. Maybe back in the 80s.

Berklon Apr 24, 2019 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8550570)
Ugh, I hate to say it but I think Boston might win this year.

Patriots and Red Sox won their respective championships, and now the Bruins and Celtics have made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. They've won way too much for a city over the past almost 20 years - and it doesn't seem to be stopping.

Calgarian Apr 24, 2019 2:56 PM

Damn, should have watched that game last night!

suburbanite Apr 24, 2019 2:56 PM

I don't know, Boston looked beatable. It'll be interesting to see if all of the time off has killed Columbus's momentum that they carried into the playoffs.

HomeInMyShoes Apr 24, 2019 2:57 PM

There's nothing wrong with Boston teams.

Now Boston fans... {ducks} :haha:

DoubleK Apr 24, 2019 3:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8550671)
I don't know, Boston looked beatable. It'll be interesting to see if all of the time off has killed Columbus's momentum that they carried into the playoffs.

That's going to be one heck of a series. I'm normally not a big fan of the second round for whatever reason but this year I'm really intrigued about 3/4 matchups.

Don't really give a lick about the Metro.

VANRIDERFAN Apr 24, 2019 3:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8550542)
Fair enough. I guess I'll no longer see posts whining and moaning about Canadians not supporting the CFL from now on.

If CBC Newsworld and CTV News Channel start pushing the Argo's down Canada's throat during a Grey Cup run, that'll be an issue to me as well.

TorontoDrew Apr 24, 2019 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berklon (Post 8550633)
Patriots and Red Sox won their respective championships, and now the Bruins and Celtics have made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. They've won way too much for a city over the past almost 20 years - and it doesn't seem to be stopping.

Well the Celtics won't get past the Raptors, it will be a nice F.U if we can face them and beat them in semi final.

suburbanite Apr 24, 2019 3:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorontoDrew (Post 8550730)
Well the Celtics won't get past the Raptors, it will be a nice F.U if we can face them and beat them in semi final.

Raptors are already in the semis against Philly.

HomeInMyShoes Apr 24, 2019 4:28 PM

Third time in NHL history that a team has scored 4 times on a five minute major penalty.

TorontoDrew Apr 24, 2019 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8550737)
Raptors are already in the semis against Philly.

EASTERN CONFERENCE – FIRST ROUND , meant to say EASTERN CONFERENCE – SECOND ROUND

VANRIDERFAN Apr 24, 2019 4:34 PM

East - Islanders
I loved them during the Bossy, Trottier, Gillies, Potvin, Bourne, Goring, Sutter Brothers and of course Battling Billy Smith years!

West - Blues
Most Canadians on the team and they haven't won the Cup yet

Jaws Apr 24, 2019 4:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 8550822)
East - Islanders
I loved them during the Bossy, Trottier, Gillies, Potvin, Bourne, Goring, Sutter Brothers and of course Battling Billy Smith years!

West - Blues
Most Canadians on the team and they haven't won the Cup yet

Good picks. The Islanders have been a perennial underdog the last two decades. Always in the shadow of the Rangers and Devils.

HomeInMyShoes Apr 24, 2019 4:41 PM

I lived in St. Louis so I'd cheer for them. Lots of Canadians on the Hurricanes as well.

For those scoring at home, number of Canadians on the teams left:
Blues 19
Islanders 16
Stars 14
Hurricanes 11
Sharks 10
Avalanche 10
Blue Jackets 9
Capitals 4
Bruins 4

Boo Bruins, Boo Capitals.

lubicon Apr 24, 2019 6:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theman23 (Post 8550396)
And to think, 4 of those goals were scored on a major penalty that should have been a 2 minute minor at most. Yikes.

I'm not sure of what the NHL rules are regarding penalties but just for reference, Hockey Canada rules (so pretty much everyone else who plays hockey in Canada) the rule states that any penalty that results in an injury is assessed as 5 and a game. Technically that was a cross check and normally that would warrant 2 minutes at most (if at all) but in the context of Hockey Canada rules that would have been the correct call. The NHL likely has different rules for penalties however.

What a was to lose though.

TownGuy Apr 24, 2019 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN (Post 8550719)
If CBC Newsworld and CTV News Channel start pushing the Argo's down Canada's throat during a Grey Cup run, that'll be an issue to me as well.

Get over it.

theman23 Apr 24, 2019 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8550562)
This time is weird because I'm not even angry at the Bruins anymore. Apart from Chara's quesitonable plays all series, we were the dirty team with Kadri's suspension. This one is all on the Leafs.

Babcock and his special teams coaches threw this one away.

Hey man, if it hadn’t worked for 50 games in the regular season it was bound to work on our 14th try in the playoffs.

Never adjust. Just keep doing what we’ve been doing all season long.I think Mike Babcock literally said this before game 7.

suburbanite Apr 24, 2019 7:56 PM

I have a buddy who is a die-hard Detroit fan and he warned me that Babcock played favourites with his grinders. He'll always find a Dan Cleary or Connor Brown who gets too much leeway.

I was willing to accept that for a guy who I thought could get implement effective systems and get everyone to buy into said system. I'm now realizing how much of his reputation was built on the back of Nick Lidstrom. Having possibly the best defenseman of all-time anchoring your blueline allows you to cover a lot of deficiencies.