PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 [156]

nname
Aug 6, 2020, 8:57 AM
Seems like AI will be running scheduled 3x weekly YVR-DEL service for the month of August, until Aug 30. Flights are now open for reservation.

AI1143 DEL 0330 - 0700 YVR 77W 357
AI1144 YVR 1015 - 1445+1 DEL 77W 357

Nites
Aug 6, 2020, 9:10 AM
we shouldn't be seeing these planes here either with this virus going on.

Like no planes at all or just the A380 in general?

trofirhen
Aug 6, 2020, 11:46 AM
Seems like AI will be running scheduled 3x weekly YVR-DEL service for the month of August, until Aug 30. Flights are now open for reservation.

Interesting that it's Air India doing this. Do they have normal landing rights at YVR, or is this special status?
It's nice to see yet another foreign tailfin here, though Air Canada normal time service seems just fine as it goes.

thenoflyzone
Aug 6, 2020, 12:49 PM

This seems to be exactly the same kind of permission QR received to launch Toronto in July.

Interesting that it's Air India doing this. Do they have normal landing rights at YVR, or is this special status?
It's nice to see yet another foreign tailfin here, though Air Canada normal time service seems just fine as it goes.

AI is allowed to fly to YVR, but is limited to 2x weekly frequencies under the current bilateral agreement.

This is clearly an extra-bilateral affair (considering it is 3x weekly service, and ends August 30th) similar to the deal QR had for YYZ.

Nites
Aug 7, 2020, 7:00 AM

16 hour flight as well. Wasn't the route was 14 hours with AC?

trofirhen
Aug 7, 2020, 12:36 PM
16 hour flight as well. Wasn't the route was 14 hours with AC?
Interesting. If both flights are YVR - DEL, then wouldn't they be much the same duration? Unless there was an intermediate stop, and I don't think there was.

thenoflyzone
Aug 7, 2020, 6:12 PM
Interesting. If both flights are YVR - DEL, then wouldn't they be much the same duration? Unless there was an intermediate stop, and I don't think there was.

They are the same duration. AI's schedule is off.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ai1144

Over halfway back to DEL, and total flight time is estimated around 14h as well.

Denscity
Aug 7, 2020, 6:16 PM
Like no planes at all or just the A380 in general?

I think he meant flights from China.

Denscity
Aug 7, 2020, 8:09 PM
Daily Hive is reporting that the YVR international terminal building expansion will be completed in December. :tup:

nname
Aug 10, 2020, 8:00 PM
YVR June Passenger Stat

Domestic: 142,934 (-87.3%)

International:
Transborder: 13,702 (-97.7%)
Asia Pacific: 28,732 (-92.8%)
Europe: 1,979 (-99.1%)
Misc.: 2,361 (-94.8%)
Sub Total: 46,774 (-96.3%)

Total: 189,708 (-92.1%)

Vagabond
Aug 12, 2020, 10:54 PM
Perhaps no surprise, but looks like AC has turfed their plans to fly to SNA from YVR. We had tickets booked for March 2021, and just received notice that they've cancelled our flights and are instead planning to send us to LAX (god forbid...)

We'll likely cancel and take the AC credit, although I'm wondering if AC will honour the original itinerary if their route plans change again? I see both AC & WJ already jacking up prices for sun destinations during spring break 2021, so I'd hate to have to re-book and pay more out of pocket at a later date (if I cancel now).

nname
Aug 15, 2020, 7:33 PM
Some Long-Haul updates for the next couple of months:

AI had extended 3x weekly operation to DEL till the end of September.
AC had reduce planned DEL from 3x to 1x weekly for the month of September (subject to government approval).
TK pushed YVR launch back to Oct 4
MF added 2nd weekly flight to XMN starting Aug 25
AC added 2nd weekly flight to PVG (via ICN) starting Aug 30

With 10x weekly, YVR is now becoming THE connecting airport for Chinese Americans trying the escape USA (according to some Chinese forums)... AC and Fairmont YVR must be making some good money out of this :D

Johnny Aussie
Aug 15, 2020, 8:00 PM
^ And some more special liveried aircraft in last couple of days.

China Eastern and Air India etc.

VN flew in a 787-10 yesterday and another VN flight due in tomorrow (HAN-YVR-CTS-HAN routing)

Eye trapper has added some more fantastic YouTube videos capturing the extensive variety of flights YVR has had lately.

nname
Aug 15, 2020, 8:05 PM
VN flew in a 787-10 yesterday and another VN flight due in tomorrow.

The flight on both days is:

VN8 HAN-YVR-CTS-HAN/SGN

Not sure what they are stopping at Sapporo for... 78X should have the range for non-stop?

nname
Aug 15, 2020, 8:15 PM

Commercial flights are not allowed to/from India. All fights to India on both AC and AI are actually "repatriation flights", but they are fully bookable both ways by anyone from any site/agency with any payment method, just like regular commercial flights. However, the airlines must obtain government approval every month.

I guess since they are "repatriation flights", they don't need to follow bilateral restriction?

Klazu
Aug 15, 2020, 8:34 PM
I don't understand the logic of continued repatriation flights. There cannot be anyone left still "desperately trying to get back home", so why are those being flown? Covid situation in India is also way worse than it is in here, so why would people want to return. I am honestly curious about the reasoning for them? :shrug:

nname
Aug 15, 2020, 8:40 PM
For the India case, it's just an excuse to go around the government restriction of scheduled commercial flight. The the same as scheduled flight, beside the monthly approval thing.

For instance, an American who never been to India can book YVR-DEL though Google Flights and "repatriated" to India, assuming they are allowed to enter the country (transit in Canada is allowed). And then the government of India can add 1 to the number of people repatriated :D

thenoflyzone
Aug 15, 2020, 10:03 PM
With 10x weekly, YVR is now becoming THE connecting airport for Chinese Americans trying the escape USA (according to some Chinese forums)... AC and Fairmont YVR must be making some good money out of this :D

Americans (Chinese or otherwise) need to remain in the sterile transit area when connecting in Canada. They are not allowed to leave that area, so Fairmont won’t benefit.

nname
Aug 15, 2020, 10:13 PM
Americans (Chinese or otherwise) need to remain in the sterile transit area when connecting in Canada. They are not allowed to leave that area, so Fairmont won’t benefit.

Currently all passenger who satisfy the condition for China Transit Program are allow to transit through Canada as long as they depart within 24 hours.

As overnight stay are not allowed post security in YVR, all passengers using CTP are allowed temporary entry into Canada if they show a valid reservation for the stay at Fairmont Vancouver Airport and promise that they would not leave the airport premise. Anyone else who normally allowed to enter Canada must do the same - they are allow to enter Canada for overnight transit but MUST stay within the airport.

whatnext
Aug 15, 2020, 11:03 PM
Is Air Tahiti Nui still calling at YVR?

nname
Aug 15, 2020, 11:44 PM
Is Air Tahiti Nui still calling at YVR?

Right now it's scheduled until Nov 1.

thenoflyzone
Aug 16, 2020, 1:45 AM
Currently all passenger who satisfy the condition for China Transit Program are allow to transit through Canada as long as they depart within 24 hours.

As overnight stay are not allowed post security in YVR, all passengers using CTP are allowed temporary entry into Canada if they show a valid reservation for the stay at Fairmont Vancouver Airport and promise that they would not leave the airport premise. Anyone else who normally allowed to enter Canada must do the same - they are allow to enter Canada for overnight transit but MUST stay within the airport.

Why isn't overnight stay allowed at YVR?

A promise? Really. Wow. That's pretty pathetic, if you ask me.

I know the Transit without visa program is suspended UFA due to COVID. I would have thought they would have suspended CTP as well.

nname
Aug 16, 2020, 5:47 AM

If someone waited for 2-3 months and spent $3000 to $5000 on their one-way ticket home, I doubt most will do something stupid and jeopardize that ticket.

I believe the same rule for 14 days mandatory isolation applies here. In this case, there may be random phone check and the hotel will forward the call to their room?

hollywoodcory
Aug 16, 2020, 12:39 PM
WestJet has now updated it's schedule until October 4. No US/International flights are planned from YVR. They also removed all summer seasonal routes for the rest of the year except for YVR-LGW which is strangely still scheduled from October 5-24.

thenoflyzone
Aug 16, 2020, 7:30 PM
If someone waited for 2-3 months and spent $3000 to $5000 on their one-way ticket home, I doubt most will do something stupid and jeopardize that ticket.

I believe the same rule for 14 days mandatory isolation applies here. In this case, there may be random phone check and the hotel will forward the call to their room?

Hang on a second. So these are just post-COVID procedures?

If that's the case then it makes more sense. I hope this wasn't common practice before COVID.

nname
Aug 16, 2020, 7:50 PM
Hang on a second. So these are just post-COVID procedures?

If that's the case then it makes more sense. I hope this wasn't common practice before COVID.

Before COVID, CTP is restricted to departure within the same day, so there won't be overnight stay issue. Now this is relaxed to "within a reasonable amount of time" (generally within 24hr) given the less flight availability. Anything over they may get denied boarding.

casper
Aug 16, 2020, 9:00 PM
Why isn't overnight stay allowed at YVR?

I know the Transit without visa program is suspended UFA due to COVID. I would have thought they would have suspended CTP as well.

From a pragmatic perspective we are talking about passengers transferring between the US and China. They would need to have documentation to show they were permitted to either their destination country.

No one in China is going to try to apply for and gain permission to enter the US as a workaround to get into Canada. The same for American, they are not going to secure a visa for China as a workaround to get into Canada.

nname
Aug 17, 2020, 7:35 PM
French Bee had applied for scheduled international license for traffic to/from Canada:
https://www.otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2020-151

Maybe they'll open YVR-PPT and YVR-ORY for reservation? Or open a new route...?

French Bee had also extended their routing through YVR until Oct 2. AF until Sept 30, TN until Nov 1.

CYVR
Aug 21, 2020, 3:46 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/CMWPZMZf/20200820-A.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/WpDYbq4v/20200820-B.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/Jn0JxXF4/20200820-C.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/6TJvBmpy/20200820-D.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/PrY61GZV/20200820-E.jpg

thenoflyzone
Aug 21, 2020, 7:09 PM
Speaking of Air France, looks like they wont be resuming passenger ops at YVR until March 31, 2021. I'm guessing WS's YYC-CDG run will be full of YVR originating passengers, assuming it's full at all the next couple of months.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/293250/air-france-nw20-intercontinental-network-changes-as-of-20aug20/?highlight=air%20france%20vancouver

Paris CDG – Vancouver 3 weekly 777-200ER cancelled in NW20

TK also delayed YVR launch once again, to December 1.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/293204/turkish-airlines-moves-newark-vancouver-launch-to-novdec-2020/?highlight=turkish

Johnny Aussie
Aug 21, 2020, 10:43 PM
AS and DL reducing YVR-SEA to 2 daily each in September.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 24, 2020, 6:31 AM
Flair launches their massive YVR hub this week.

6 flights per week to YYJ
2 flights per week each to YLW/YXS/YYC/YEG/YMM/YXE/YQR/YWG

22 flights per week total

trofirhen
Aug 24, 2020, 7:04 AM
..... speaking of a YVR hub .....
In Westjet's world, it seems that Vancouver has always been a focus city, with YYC and YYZ the only true hub cities. Now I hear YVR as a Westjet hub city.
So, is in fact YVR a Westjet hub city? What is our standing? It's nice to think of it as a hub for both WS and AC, as is YYZ. However, premature guessing is to be avoided. Status, please.

Nites
Aug 26, 2020, 1:47 AM
Anyone get the new flight simulator yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2vOTs0X9eQ

I find it funny that some people are complaining about the missing buildings and some of the details in this game. The whole game is pretty much breakthrough level stuff.

casper
Aug 26, 2020, 6:10 AM
In Westjet's world, it seems that Vancouver has always been a focus city, with YYC and YYZ the only true hub cities. Now I hear YVR as a Westjet hub city.
So, is in fact YVR a Westjet hub city? What is our standing? It's nice to think of it as a hub for both WS and AC, as is YYZ. However, premature guessing is to be avoided. Status, please.

To early to say. I think it fair to say YVR is a major connecting airport for WestJet (in normal time). Most of the traffic to Hawaii routes through Vancouver and there are a few Northern BC and island destinations that also use Vancouver as a connecting airport.

When WS was going to become a global airline with the 787 fleet (Well as much as an airline can be a global airline with just 10 wide body aircraft) its route announcements all focused on Calgary and Toronto.

Today who knows. I think any place they have two WS aircraft land within an hour of each other is a major accomplishment. When things start to recover it is going to be completely different landscape. There is no reason to believe any airline either domestic or foreign is going to end up with the same route network they have before all this started. The A380 and 747 will be gone for the most part some secondary routes will be more viable.

There is probably history around why certain routes exist and this is a complete reset. For example why does Lufthansa serve Vancouver and AC serve Calgary. Conventional wisdom would be the reverse.

Alaska use to be more significant in Vancouver. With their new relationship in oneworld will those days return? Who knows.

Delta and WestJet are working on a joint venture of some sort. Not certain if that is in place yet. When the routes open up again, how the two split up the restart of routes will be interesting to watch.

whatnext
Sep 9, 2020, 9:57 PM
Construction postponed:

COVID-19: Air travel collapse pushes YVR to cancel $500-million expansion project
The expansion to build an "airport of the future" is now deemed unnecessary with air travel facing the prospect of a multi-year recovery from the pandemic.
Author of the article Derrick Penner
Publishing date:Sep 09, 2020

Vancouver International Airport has terminated construction on its latest $500-million capital expansion plan as the latest casualty in the COVID-19-induced collapse of global air travel, the airport announced Wednesday.

This block of an anticipated $9.1-billion in expansion projects planned for the next 20 years involved a new geothermal heating system and ground transportation centre, but was designed at a time YVR was experiencing double-digit growth....

Now, Vrooman said YVR will complete the $300-million Pier D expansion of its international terminal, which is expected to be wound down by Nov. 30. But all other construction has been put on hold.

Future capital spending will be focused on initiatives that help support the recovery of air travel including trials for health screening and testing, according to a news release....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-collapse-of-air-travel-pushes-yvr-to-cancel-expansion-project/wcm/6e964fda-564d-49d5-87fb-6dccdeca24c8/

twoNeurons
Sep 9, 2020, 10:23 PM
Construction postponed:

COVID-19: Air travel collapse pushes YVR to cancel $500-million expansion project
The expansion to build an "airport of the future" is now deemed unnecessary with air travel facing the prospect of a multi-year recovery from the pandemic.
Author of the article Derrick Penner
Publishing date:Sep 09, 2020

Vancouver International Airport has terminated construction on its latest $500-million capital expansion plan as the latest casualty in the COVID-19-induced collapse of global air travel, the airport announced Wednesday.

This block of an anticipated $9.1-billion in expansion projects planned for the next 20 years involved a new geothermal heating system and ground transportation centre, but was designed at a time YVR was experiencing double-digit growth....

Now, Vrooman said YVR will complete the $300-million Pier D expansion of its international terminal, which is expected to be wound down by Nov. 30. But all other construction has been put on hold.

Future capital spending will be focused on initiatives that help support the recovery of air travel including trials for health screening and testing, according to a news release....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/covid-19-collapse-of-air-travel-pushes-yvr-to-cancel-expansion-project/wcm/6e964fda-564d-49d5-87fb-6dccdeca24c8/

What did this project entail?

twoNeurons
Sep 9, 2020, 10:42 PM

Let's be honest... there's just a lot of uncertainty. Does the fact that domestic travel is still happening and international travel has been decimated mean WestJet (a smaller more domestic focused airline) will recover more quickly?

I feel like although WestJet loves Calgary (for obvious, historical reasons) that they'd love to be a major ( or THE major ) Canadian airline of the entirety of Western Canada. Before covid WestJet realized that any advances in YVR would result in competition from AC... so they refocused on YYC... for better or for worse.

casper
Sep 9, 2020, 11:29 PM
What did this project entail?

Here is the details on all the projects that are/were on the go:
https://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction/major-projects

I would hope the Geo Thermal and Central Services projects would continue as a far are completing the building envelope and what they are cancelling is the mechanical equipment that could be added at a future date.

Klazu
Sep 9, 2020, 11:53 PM
It's interesting but I read yesterday that Helsinki Airport is actually accelerating their building projects now that there is less disruption to airport operations and flights are mostly grounded there as well. Now is the time to catch up to growth of the past decade before the demand will ultimately pick up again.

thenoflyzone
Sep 10, 2020, 1:38 AM
It's interesting but I read yesterday that Helsinki Airport is actually accelerating their building projects now that there is less disruption to airport operations and flights are mostly grounded there as well. Now is the time to catch up to growth of the past decade before the demand will ultimately pick up again.

The main difference between HEL and YVR is that Helsinki's project started in 2014, is 70% complete and has a total price tag of only $1 billion Euros. The financing for the entire project has most likely been secured in its entirety already. The Finnish government even pitched in $200 million euros.

https://www.finavia.fi/en/about-finavia/development-airports/invests-in-helsinki

Compare that to YVR's mega project, which was in its infancy, and had a total cost of over $9 billion. No way in hell YVRAA has that kind of money just sitting in the bank.

Pier D extension already cost $300 million, and they've already invested over $500 million in other expenses in the project they are canceling. So that's over $800 million invested in the last couple of years. Now with revenues drying up, this decision was inevitable.

Also, pretty sure Finavia (HEL airport operator) doesn't pay rent to the Finnish government. Canadian airport authorities are in a bit of a pickle at the moment, unlike anywhere else on earth. Let's see what Trudeau will announce in a few weeks. Supposedly industry specific help is on the way.

casper
Sep 10, 2020, 1:48 AM

Also, pretty sure Finavia (HEL airport operator) doesn't pay rent to the Finnish government. Canadian airport authorities are in a bit of a pickle at the moment, unlike anywhere else on earth. Let's see what Trudeau will announce in a few weeks. Supposedly industry specific help is on the way.

I would disagree with the statement that Canadian airports are in a unique situation. Other airports need to buy land. Heathrow has had to buy the land they plan to build their third runway on.

Canadian airports were given the existing property and building, only being asked to pay rent on that land.

officedweller
Sep 10, 2020, 2:27 AM

On the flip side, I read that YUL (Montreal Trudeau Airport) will have problems funding its contribution to the REM station there, just when tunnelling is supposed to start.

thenoflyzone
Sep 10, 2020, 2:31 AM
I would disagree with the statement that Canadian airports are in a unique situation. Other airports need to buy land. Heathrow has had to buy the land they plan to build their third runway on.

Canadian airports were given the existing property and building, only being asked to pay rent on that land.

Private airports can lean on equity owners when times are tough. Not the case for our airport authorities.

Like i said, a bit of a pickle unlike anywhere else on earth.

On the flip side, I read that YUL (Montreal Trudeau Airport) will have problems funding its contribution to the REM station there, just when tunnelling is supposed to start.

All Canadian airports are in the same sinking boat, especially the likes of YVR and YUL, both of which have multi billion dollar projects that just started, with no revenue left to fund it. Forget about the projects. In a few months, if financing isn't secured, they will barely be able to keep the runway lights on at night.

Grab the popcorn. The next few weeks/months will be interested, especially if Trudeau's upcoming speech doesn't include any industry specific funding.

jollyburger
Sep 10, 2020, 8:57 PM
CORE project is shelved while resources focused on cargo and other immediate projects:

With $525 million already spent, the Vancouver Airport Authority is halting a large-scale infrastructure project due to the impact COVID-19 has had on the aviation industry.

The airport announced Wednesday it’s putting an end to its CORE Program, part of a multi-year capital program, just a day after letting the construction company know of its intentions.

It’s the latest in a number of steps the airport authority has taken to reduce operating and capital costs to protect its long-term financial health, said the airport authority in a statement. Instead, they will focus their resources on projects that meet their more immediate needs.

The CORE Program was designed when YVR was experiencing double-digit growth.

The program included a central utilities building, which would have housed one of largest geoexchange systems in Canada, slated for completion by 2022.

Geoexchange is a heating and cooling system that uses the earth’s renewable energy found just below the surface. It would have been integrated throughout YVR to heat and cool the airport’s structures.

The central utilities building was being built on the airport’s former value parking lot. That site was also earmarked for a ground transportation centre including a new parkade, both of which are also part of the CORE Program.

Those facilities are no longer needed due to the decline in air travel, according to the airport authority.

In a statement, Tamara Vrooman, who took over as president and CEO of Vancouver Airport Authority on July 1, said cancelling the project was a “difficult but necessary decision.”

“We simply do not need the capacity this project brings for the foreseeable future and need to prioritize our resources elsewhere,” she said.

“I want to emphasize that making this decision is one more step in preserving the ongoing financial stability of Vancouver Airport Authority so that we can continue to serve our community and focus our resources on the immediate needs of the airport.”

Those resources will go instead towards projects that support the recovery of the aviation industry such as trials for health screening and testing, and improving data and technology infrastructure.

The airport will also enhance YVR’s cargo facilities and other projects that are “best completed when the airport is less busy, such as airfield infrastructure,” according to Wednesday’s announcement.

Vrooman gave notice on Tuesday to the construction company, EllisDon Corporation, of their intention to terminate the CORE Program.

The airport authority and EllisDon will finalize wind-down arrangements, with the intent work will be finished on the site by Nov. 30.

The project will be halted in its current state.

The CORE Program can be restarted in the future when additional capacity is required, and it will cost hundreds of millions of dollars more to complete, according to a YVR spokesperson.

https://biv.com/article/2020/09/yvr-terminates-major-infrastructure-project-due-covid-19

s211
Sep 10, 2020, 9:38 PM
Can I admit to being unclear on one point: are they mothballing the current parking garage construction?

jollyburger
Sep 10, 2020, 9:47 PM
Can I admit to being unclear on one point: are they mothballing the current parking garage construction?

Yes it's mothballed.

teriyaki
Sep 11, 2020, 1:18 AM
Going to be quite the unsightly mess for some years in the parkade area there. Shame, but necessary given their finances and projections I'd imagine.

Atleast we'll have Pier D to hold us over

jollyburger
Sep 11, 2020, 2:56 AM
Going to be quite the unsightly mess for some years in the parkade area there. Shame, but necessary given their finances and projections I'd imagine.

They said they might do something to make things prettier in he meantime.

Nites
Sep 11, 2020, 5:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJEiEiQ4znY

Metro-One
Sep 11, 2020, 7:00 AM
So they are just going to leave all those parkades half complete? Some of them looks as if they are at too far from completion.

This sucks, but we all knew airports would be the hardest hit regarding this pandemic. Guessing it will take about a decade or so before this program (or whatever it evolves into) proceeds again?

Would be a good time for the feds to replace the traffic lights with interchanges leading up to the airport though. Reduced traffic makes for faster construction, and then ready just as things start picking up again.

connect2source
Sep 11, 2020, 1:49 PM

Agreed. A huge and very visible unsightly mess for years to come! It will remain a reminder and a symbol of a terrible year for the aviation industry until work is started again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Denscity
Sep 11, 2020, 4:35 PM
The international gate expansion got completed recently no?

s211
Sep 11, 2020, 5:44 PM
And in airplane news, I just booked some domestic travel over Christmas with AC and the designated plane was a 737 MAX8. Inching closer?

Orcair
Sep 11, 2020, 7:02 PM
And in airplane news, I just booked some domestic travel over Christmas with AC and the designated plane was a 737 MAX8. Inching closer?

Schedule hasn't been updated yet.

connect2source
Sep 11, 2020, 7:05 PM
The international gate expansion got completed recently no?

Yes it will get finished but remain unused until demand warrants.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-airport-yvr-core-program-parkade-utilities-geoexchange-cancelled

connect2source
Sep 11, 2020, 7:06 PM

Zero indication from Transport Canada as to when the MAX will fly again, I'm sure your designated aircraft will be changed as you departure nears, doubt the MAX will fly in 2020.

s211
Sep 11, 2020, 8:08 PM
Schedule hasn't been updated yet.

Flight AC 243 on December 28th.

Denscity
Sep 11, 2020, 8:15 PM
Yes it will get finished but remain unused until demand warrants.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-international-airport-yvr-core-program-parkade-utilities-geoexchange-cancelled

Ah good.

Orcair
Sep 11, 2020, 11:37 PM
Flight AC 243 on December 28th.

Sorry, didn’t mean to imply the flight doesn’t exist. Rather I meant that AC generally only finalizes the schedule 1-2 months before a flight... before then it’s just a general idea or placeholder. Hence all of the flight/schedule change notifications...

casper
Sep 12, 2020, 3:47 PM
Zero indication from Transport Canada as to when the MAX will fly again, I'm sure your designated aircraft will be changed as you departure nears, doubt the MAX will fly in 2020.

They did recently conduct test flights. Out of YVR of all places. Both the European and Canadian authorities had safety issues with traveling to the US. The compromise was that Boeing would fly the test aircraft to YVR, pickup the regulator, then fly back into US airspace for the test flight. When done they were dropped off again in YVR.

So we are getting closer. As for this winter I think it is unlikely.

hollywoodcory
Sep 12, 2020, 9:07 PM
Hearing WS 787 will be making it's YVR debut in October flying YYZ turns. Should know firm details when the schedule update is loaded tonight.

thenoflyzone
Sep 12, 2020, 9:27 PM
The flight on both days is:

VN8 HAN-YVR-CTS-HAN/SGN

Not sure what they are stopping at Sapporo for... 78X should have the range for non-stop?

The 787-10 has the least range out of all the 787 variants. 6,430 nm, still air, with typical seating, which for the 787-10 is 330 passengers.

YVR-HAN is 5847 nm.

VN has 366 seat B787-10s. Considering the headwinds, the 36 extra seats and most likely heavy luggage onboard (considering this was a repatriation flight), means the non stop was out of range.

jollyburger
Sep 12, 2020, 10:18 PM
They did recently conduct test flights. Out of YVR of all places. Both the European and Canadian authorities had safety issues with traveling to the US. The compromise was that Boeing would fly the test aircraft to YVR, pickup the regulator, then fly back into US airspace for the test flight. When done they were dropped off again in YVR.

Transport Canada staff also got off in the US to evaluate the engineering simulators

https://simpleflying.com/transport-canada-max-testing/

zahav
Sep 13, 2020, 12:25 AM
I am glad Pier D is being finished, that certainly was much further along and it only made sense to finish construction. CORE was really the obvious thing to cut, the airport doesn't need more parking now, and the office component was a really a luxury that was nice to have, but cerainly not essential. There are further improvements in the terminal that don't get publicized but are happening, such as the ITD SPIL (interionalal to deomestic security and pre-inspection line), which is streamlining connecting traffic. These inside terminal upgrades are much more important, and are essential for YVR to stay competitive. The drop in air demand means international flights are concentrating now at select airports, so connecting pax are still important, and long term infrastructure improvements for that traffic flow are far better investments than parking

s211
Sep 13, 2020, 9:18 PM
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply the flight doesn’t exist. Rather I meant that AC generally only finalizes the schedule 1-2 months before a flight... before then it’s just a general idea or placeholder. Hence all of the flight/schedule change notifications...

No problem.

It just seems weird they'd placeholder with a MAX versus a 320 or 321, for instance.

Nites
Sep 15, 2020, 7:00 AM
I found this picture. Not sure how old it is. Did AC have a A380 at one point?

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/infiniteflight/optimized/3X/1/c/1c94e775769189ca9a2840ca2a3841761b60a572_2_830x551.jpg

connect2source
Sep 15, 2020, 12:57 PM

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/infiniteflight/optimized/3X/1/c/1c94e775769189ca9a2840ca2a3841761b60a572_2_830x551.jpg

Haha love it!! No, AC never had any 380s and likely never will, looks great though!

Orcair
Sep 15, 2020, 3:16 PM
No problem.

It just seems weird they'd placeholder with a MAX versus a 320 or 321, for instance.

A totally valid point! I imagine it is because the original fleet plan was to have the 7M8 be the default a/c in 2020 as the 320s began being retired in earnest. That's just my belief though!

casper
Sep 15, 2020, 3:30 PM
A totally valid point! I imagine it is because the original fleet plan was to have the 7M8 be the default a/c in 2020 as the 320s began being retired in earnest. That's just my belief though!

In normal times they start by load the schedule from the previous year into the reservation system then start to make adjustments. The 737 have been in scheduled for the past year and a few months out they adjust by substituting in a different aircraft. Today that would be a A220 or A320/321.

Orcair
Sep 15, 2020, 5:29 PM
In normal times they start by load the schedule from the previous year into the reservation system then start to make adjustments. The 737 have been in scheduled for the past year and a few months out they adjust by substituting in a different aircraft. Today that would be a A220 or A320/321.

Thanks for the confirmation :)!

VancouverOfTheFuture
Sep 15, 2020, 10:57 PM

never did, never planned to, never will.

they did order 2 Concorde's back in the day, but cancelled the orders before delivery.

Nites
Sep 16, 2020, 11:37 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RISlL0m9w0Y

CurtisVerbatim
Sep 16, 2020, 1:28 PM
I spent about a month (August) working on the PIER D construction site and can confirm there are 4 new gates (62,64,66,67).

CurtisVerbatim
Sep 16, 2020, 1:30 PM
Was there not supposed to be 4 bridged gates and 4 remote stands for Pier D

Sorry for the repost... meant to quote this.

I spent about a month (August) working on the PIER D construction site and can confirm there are 4 new gates (62,64,66,67).

nname
Sep 17, 2020, 4:51 AM
Sorry for the repost... meant to quote this.

62 isn't exactly "new" though. It is already accessible via a temporary walkway outside of the terminal building expansion.

I'm surprised gate 65 isn't a bridge gate... Seems to be the furthest gate away from the security checkpoint.

teriyaki
Sep 17, 2020, 4:58 AM
Wondering if the new gates are A380 compliant? Not that it'll matter too much in the short term but just curiosity if the whale will be limited to the "one" gate that it always parks at before. In any case, looking forward to actually being able to SEE the A380 properly from the terminal windows after Pier D opens

nname
Sep 17, 2020, 5:03 AM
Seems like the parking map for YVR is already updated.

https://i.imgur.com/D3m9o5m.png

Double circle = widebody gates
Circle with rectangle = gates with double bridge

I guess that 789 WS planning to use for YVR-YYZ will always park at gate 14?

s211
Sep 17, 2020, 2:45 PM
I got an email from Canada Border Services yesterday indicating they're permanently closing the Main Street office that conducted NEXUS interviews. People will have to go to the airport now.