PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 [153] 154 155 156

Johnny Aussie
Apr 21, 2020, 8:50 PM
Not one to post too many schedule updates these days because as soon as one hits “post” further changes usually occur.. in any event.

With the Canada US border closing AC also suspending all transborder ops until June.

YVR will have two daily to SEA on DL one daily to SEA on AS and one daily to DFW on AA. Of course they may be dropped as well.

The rest of western Canada has 4 weekly DL YEG-MSP and 5 weekly DL YYC-MSP and one daily AA YYC-DFW.... and that’s it for May as of now.

nname
Apr 22, 2020, 5:27 PM
Starting from next week (Apr 28), China Southern will uses A380 for their weekly flight CAN-YVR.

So the government wants to reduce international passengers by reducing frequency? The airlines uses the biggest plane available to carry as many passengers as they can...

Johnny Aussie
Apr 22, 2020, 7:16 PM
Starting from next week (Apr 28), China Southern will uses A380 for their weekly flight CAN-YVR.

So the government wants to reduce international passengers by reducing frequency? The airlines uses the biggest plane available to carry as many passengers as they can...

Yet some routes are still more than one per week. Whether it’s cargo only or not... still flying quite a few intl flights to China.

Denscity
Apr 23, 2020, 1:47 AM

Ahh 380.

zahav
Apr 23, 2020, 7:14 AM
YVR isn't even listed on this list of destinations at all, A380 or otherwise. Did they make an error leaving it out of the post?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290904/china-southern-20apr20-31may20-international-operations-as-of-21apr20/

Johnny Aussie
Apr 23, 2020, 10:22 AM
Those lists of late haven’t been very accurate.. whether cargo only or not some airlines flying multiple weekly flights using their normal flight numbers to both SYD and MEL in Australia. So the one flight per week “rule” - there’s more to it than that. CA, CZ and MU have all flown to MEL and SYD this week (for example).
In any event YVR is seeing quite a lot of flight activity to China and Asia in general.
Hope you are all coping ok with this. We are doing fine downunder!

thenoflyzone
Apr 23, 2020, 6:44 PM
^

OH.MY.GOD.

And I'm the one who posts useless comments, so he says ! It's been over a week he's blabbering on about the same shit, even calling it a rumor, when a simple google search would have given him the answer.

Cargo flights are exempt from the 1 weekly rule. From the horse's mouth.

http://www.caac.gov.cn/en/XWZX/202003/t20200326_201748.html

Notice on Further Reducing International Passenger Flights during the Epidemic Prevention and Control Period

March 26, 2020

To All Transport Airlines:

In order to resolutely contain the increasing risks of imported COVID-19 cases, and in accordance with the requirements of the State Council for joint prevention and control of the epidemic, it is decided to further reduce the number of international passenger flights. Details of the requirement are as follows:

1. On the basis of the Information on International Flight Plans (Phase Five) released on the official website of CAAC on March 12, each Chinese airline is only allowed to maintain one route to any specific country with no more than one flight per week; each foreign airline is only allowed to maintain one route to China with no more than one weekly flight.

2. Airlines shall, in accordance with the requirements above, apply for Pre-Flight plans to the Operation Supervisory Center of CAAC in advance.

3. The Operating Permits and take-off/landing slots, etc. associated with the flights cut by airlines in accordance with requirements of this Notice will be retained.

4. Airlines shall strictly implement the latest edition of Preventing Spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Guideline for Airlines issued by the Office of China Civil Aviation Prevention and Control COVID-19 Leading Group, take stringent prevention and control measures on the flights to/from China and ensure passenger load factor no higher than 75%.

5. In accordance with the need for epidemic containment, CAAC may issue policy to further reduce the total number of international passenger flights. Airlines therefore are required to closely follow information released, analyze the situation and make contingency plans in advance, and handle in a proper way the issues such as extension and refund of sold air tickets, etc.

6. Airlines may operate all-cargo flights with passenger aircraft, which will not be counted against the total number of passenger flights operated.

7. Flight plans adjusted by airlines in accordance with paragraph 1 of this Notice shall be implemented as of March 29, 2020.

8. This Notice shall take effect on the date of its issuance, and the expiration date will be notified separately. As of the date of taking effect of this Notice, the Notice MHF [2020] No. 11 issued by CAAC shall become invalid.

Civil Aviation Administration of China

Can someone pls tell the douchebag above.......

Johnny Aussie
Apr 23, 2020, 7:07 PM
AC flying a couple more extra sections (789s).
AC7151 to NRT and AC7202 from HKG flying right now.
Another Hainan from PVG on the way as well (not even their normal route).

nname
Apr 23, 2020, 7:22 PM
AC flying a couple more extra sections (789s).
AC7151 to NRT and AC7202 from HKG flying right now.
Another Hainan from PVG on the way as well (not even their normal route).

Normally AC7000-7500 are reposition flights
And seems like cargo flights are in the 22xx range, and extra passenger flights are 199x (Rouge) and 20xx (mainline)

trofirhen
Apr 23, 2020, 7:54 PM
^

OH.MY.GOD.

And I'm the one who posts useless comments, so he says ! It's been over a week he's blabbering on about the same shit, even calling it a rumor, when a simple google search would have given him the answer.

Cargo flights are exempt from the 1 weekly rule. From the horse's mouth.

http://www.caac.gov.cn/en/XWZX/202003/t20200326_201748.html

Can someone pls tell the douchebag above.......
Please, man, I'll admit to having disagreed with people on the site, but language like that is really useemly, really low .... let's please keep it civil.

thenoflyzone
Apr 23, 2020, 8:49 PM
Please, man, I'll admit to having disagreed with people on the site, but language like that is really useemly, really low .... let's please keep it civil.

When it comes to him, that's as civil as I can be. If you don't like it, you can block me as well. But then, just like him, you'll be missing out on proper info.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 23, 2020, 9:56 PM
Normally AC7000-7500 are reposition flights
And seems like cargo flights are in the 22xx range, and extra passenger flights are 199x (Rouge) and 20xx (mainline)

If those are just repositioning flights one would hope they are least carrying cargo knowing there is a huge demand for that right now. May as well generate some revenue.

AC currently flying 2 789s to HKG the normal AC7 and AC2287 (one of the cargo flights I assume).

MU currently operating its 5th YVR-PVG flight in the last 7 days.
KE currently operating its 3rd YVR-ICN freighter this week.

trofirhen
Apr 24, 2020, 2:15 AM
When it comes to him, that's as civil as I can be. If you don't like it, you can block me as well. But then, just like him, you'll be missing out on proper info.
As you wish, but personally speaking, I would not allow my feelings to lead me to call people disgusting names. Johnny does provide some great insights into aviation at SSP YVR.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 25, 2020, 7:05 PM
Current activity:
Cargojet appears to be running a 763F on YVR-NRT daily at the moment.
NZ’s first 789 from AKL in while on its way. They had been running mainly 77Ws for their NZ-YVR-FRA flights. This flight is numbered 66XX so unsure if it’s going on to FRA, somewhere else or just turning around.
AC currently flying two 789 flights to SYD (one from YVR and one from YYZ via LAX)
BR definitely running flights 5x per week on the YVR-TPE route (was supposed to be only 2-3 per week).
MF also is operating its 4th flight this week from XMN.
... and plenty more - CX, KE cargo, and more AC heavies atm.

nname
Apr 25, 2020, 8:08 PM
BR definitely running flights 5x per week on the YVR-TPE route (was supposed to be only 2-3 per week).

Hmm... there was a BR 78X here last week...

Starting from next week for the month of May, BR will reduce all remaining long-haul destinations (YVR, YYZ, LAX, SFO, SEA, IAH, JFK, ORD, CDG) to 1x weekly.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 25, 2020, 8:48 PM
Hmm... there was a BR 78X here last week...

Starting from next week for the month of May, BR will reduce all remaining long-haul destinations (YVR, YYZ, LAX, SFO, SEA, IAH, JFK, ORD, CDG) to 1x weekly.

A lot of airlines are flying many more flights than what’s been “scheduled” lately. Perhaps extra flights above and beyond what’s scheduled.

teriyaki
Apr 25, 2020, 11:10 PM
A lot of airlines are flying many more flights than what’s been “scheduled” lately. Perhaps extra flights above and beyond what’s scheduled.

Must be a scheduling nightmare for all involved.

thenoflyzone
Apr 26, 2020, 1:30 AM
All the extra flying is cargo.

Tremendous amount of cargo is carried in the belly of widebody passenger flights. With passenger flights down 90%, the all cargo fleets (FedEx, UPS, DHL etc) can't cope with the demand, so it's only normal that passenger airlines utilize their aircraft for cargo runs. Hence why AC, as an example, converted some B77Ws to an all freighter config.

The cargojet YVR-NRT runs continue onto PVG. Same as AC. NRT is simply a crew change station. YVR is most likely a fuel stop, as the B763F, with max payload, only has a 6,000-6,400 km range. Far less than the MD11s, B747Fs or B77Fs. (6000 km is not even enough for NRT-YVR, btw, so cargojet can't even go max payload out of NRT back to YVR)

After getting fuel in YVR, cargojet continues onto YHM, which is their main sorting hub.

As you wish, but personally speaking, I would not allow my feelings to lead me to call people disgusting names. Johnny does provide some great insights into aviation at SSP YVR.

Pretty sure he has you blocked as well. So obviously he doesn't give a fuck about your "personal speaking". Us others do, however, even though sometimes you keep asking the same questions over and over again.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 26, 2020, 3:23 AM

I would assume to a point. However with very little fleet utilisation at the moment some airlines are using maybe 10% of their fleets. So many aircraft being parked too hard to keep track.

The schedule lists being published by Airlineroute are not accurate lately. Changes and last minutes adds, cuts and last minute route changes are happening often. What’s actually happening (using FR24 as an example) and what’s being published on Airlineroute not even close in some cases. Each country is establishing their own restrictions so it’s not cut and dry in most cases. Whether the flights are passenger aircraft, cargo, repatriation or ferry flights...?

YVR definitely seeing plenty of Canadian and foreign heavies.

whatnext
Apr 26, 2020, 8:01 PM
Cargo is definitely the name of the game right now:

HALIFAX and MONTREAL, April 24, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Chorus Aviation Inc. ("Chorus") and its subsidiary Jazz Aviation LP ("Jazz") announced today that Jazz and Air Canada, through its freight division Air Canada Cargo, will begin operating the recently approved Dash 8-400 Simplified Package Freighter developed by De Havilland Canada to short and medium haul markets under the Air Canada Express banner. These reconfigured aircraft will carry a total of 18,000 lbs [8,165 kg] of cargo in the passenger cabin and belly.

"De Havilland Canada's Dash 8-400 Simplified Package Freighter will allow us to redeploy aircraft, while contributing to the collective fight against COVID-19 by supporting our customer, Air Canada, in the delivery of essential cargo," said Randolph deGooyer, President, Jazz Aviation LP.

"This aircraft will allow us to provide critical cargo lift on short and medium-haul routes that have been impacted by the reduction of passenger flights," said Tim Strauss, Vice-President Air Canada Cargo. "The converted cabin, which can accommodate a cargo volume of 1,150 cubic feet is perfectly suited to loose load cargo like medical supplies, PPE and other goods needed to support the ongoing fight against COVID-19."...

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/jazz-aviation-and-air-canada-cargo-to-be-first-to-operate-routes-with-dash-8-400-aircraft-simplified-package-freighter-developed-by-de-havilland-canada-862056400.html

I would imagine AC has an advantage over WS in the cargo field, as it has been a big part of their business for so long.

hollywoodcory
Apr 26, 2020, 8:18 PM
I would imagine AC has an advantage over WS in the cargo field, as it has been a big part of their business for so long.

WS has now also begun using its 787s for cargo purposes too. This weekend 2 of them flew YYC-DUB-YYZ-ATL-YYC and hearing of many more to come. They've also gained authorization to fly to Asia and South America as well.

whatnext
Apr 26, 2020, 9:07 PM
WS has now also begun using its 787s for cargo purposes too. This weekend 2 of them flew YYC-DUB-YYZ-ATL-YYC and hearing of many more to come. They've also gained authorization to fly to Asia and South America as well.

Yeah but they're starting from well behind in terms of infrastructure, contacts etc.

TheGreatestX
Apr 26, 2020, 9:52 PM
Yeah but they're starting from well behind in terms of infrastructure, contacts etc.

They're not "starting from behind" in anything. WestJet has been operating cargo for more than 10 years and have contacts and warehouses at most of their destinations.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-trip/westjet-cargo/warehouse-contact

whatnext
Apr 26, 2020, 10:58 PM
They're not "starting from behind" in anything. WestJet has been operating cargo for more than 10 years and have contacts and warehouses at most of their destinations.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/book-trip/westjet-cargo/warehouse-contact

Still light years behind AC's operation.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 26, 2020, 11:38 PM
In any event YVR is definitely seeing plenty of this cargo action. CA, MU, MF, KE and W8 in the air now. AC sending daily flights and sometimes multiple flights on any one day on 789s and 77Ws. Looks like the NZ 789 is just a turnaround heading back to AKL tonight.

WS might as well get in on the action too shouldn't be too hard to grab a piece of the action if they have allowable bilaterals to operate.

nname
Apr 27, 2020, 7:10 AM
YVR isn't even listed on this list of destinations at all, A380 or otherwise. Did they make an error leaving it out of the post?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290904/china-southern-20apr20-31may20-international-operations-as-of-21apr20/

Now they add a separate post for it:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/290965/china-southern-schedules-a380-vancouver-service-28apr20-27may20/

China Southern Airlines last week filed aircraft changes for Guangzhou – Vancouver service, for the period of 28APR20 – 27MAY20. During this period, the airline will operate Airbus A380 aircraft, instead of Boeing 777-300ER, once weekly. This route was not mentioned in last week’s report on Airlineroute.

CZ329 CAN1400 – 1050YVR 380 2
CZ330 YVR1250 – 1635+1CAN 380 3

nname
Apr 27, 2020, 5:42 PM
Taiwan authority released March passenger stat. For YVR-TPE:

CI 63.7% LF
BR 61.5% LF
AC 58.8% LF

Total passenger count was 26,289.

If you think that's bad... it is pretty much the best-performing route in term of LF out of TPE...

TPE-YYZ have LF of 64%... no other route have LF over 60%, with other long-haul typically in the range of 40%~55%, and short haul 8%~25%. Overall LF in and out of Taiwan was 34%.

I expect the situation is very similar here, with short-haul LF probably in the 20% range...

lubicon
Apr 27, 2020, 7:14 PM

With all kinds of excess aircraft and crews I don't think scheduling is much of an issue.

nname
Apr 28, 2020, 3:16 AM
VN will operate 2 repatriating flight to Vietnam non-stop from YVR

Apr 30: YYZ-YVR-HAN
May 8: YVR-HAN

Denscity
Apr 28, 2020, 3:35 AM

Would like to see a picture of that.

teriyaki
Apr 28, 2020, 4:53 AM

Would this be the first time VN in YVR? Wonder if they'll bring their A350:)

nname
Apr 28, 2020, 6:40 AM

Both flights are A350.

And the first A380 from CZ is on its way.

The first A350 from 3U (up-gauge starting from today) is also on its way to YVR.

thenoflyzone
Apr 28, 2020, 2:07 PM

There are no Vietnam Airlines pics in YVR on airliners.net, so could very well be the first visit.

YYZ, YOW and YQB do have some VN pics, however. The Vietnamese prime minister came to Canada for an official visit back in 2005. I remember the event well. Was surprised to see a VN B772 flying YOW-YQB.

https://www.airliners.net/search?airline=59571&country=513

Johnny Aussie
Apr 29, 2020, 10:43 AM

It runs as VN8 for the entire journey HAN-YYZ-YVR-HAN
VN8 ETA YVR 1300 / ETD at 1400
Quick groundtime suggests tech stop only.

Johnny Aussie
Apr 29, 2020, 7:04 PM
Beijing Capital operating its first YVR flight in awhile from TAO and returning to TAO?

Sichuan currently operating one of its special livery 359s to CTU and Hainan (PVG again) operating its second YVR flight this week.

NH and BR both currently operating their 4th flights to YVR this week.

LeftCoaster
Apr 29, 2020, 7:12 PM

Why do you even come into this section? You rarely if ever have anything positive to say. I think everyone, yourself included, would just be happier if you stayed away.

Isn't there some echo chamber somewhere where you can talk with other YUL fans about how neat the international jetty looks for 3 hours a day and the fact that domestic passengers don't even exist and are just fake news created to make Montreal look bad?

s211
Apr 29, 2020, 7:49 PM
Why do you even come into this section? You rarely if ever have anything positive to say. I think everyone, yourself included, would just be happier if you stayed away.

Isn't there some echo chamber somewhere where you can talk with other YUL fans about how neat the international jetty looks for 3 hours a day and the fact that domestic passengers don't even exist and are just fake news created to make Montreal look bad?

Ha and LOL. I blocked that gent some time ago. My days are much more peaceful now. :cheers:

Denscity
Apr 30, 2020, 4:52 AM

The craziest part is that there is a YUL thread and IT'S A COMPLETE GHOST TOWN haha!!

Johnny Aussie
Apr 30, 2020, 6:50 PM
Vietnam Airlines (VN 8) less than an hour from touchdown... a quick turnaround and then off to HAN.

And now on its way to HAN... on the ground from 1247 to 1422.

The next Vietnam Airlines flight (VN 9) scheduled to operate 8 May HAN-YVR-HAN only ETA 0830 ETD 1100

VN 8 joins CA, MU, KE (cargo), JD, ACx2 and W8 flying westbound over the Pacific now.

Mainland Chinese airlines operated 27 flights on 7 different carriers to Canada in the last 7 days:
China Eastern 10 flights - 5 to YVR and 5 to YYZ
Hainan 7 flights - 2 to YVR and 5 to YYZ
Xiamen 4 flights to YVR
Air China 2 flights to YVR
Beijing Capital 2 flights to YVR
China Southern 1 flight to YVR (A380)
Sichuan 1 flight to YVR

Johnny Aussie
May 1, 2020, 4:00 AM
Beijing Capital flying its second flight this week to ??? (Destination unknown at the moment).

Flying the colourful Beijing Daxing livery.

https://www.flightradar24.com/CBJ144/246e6df8

jollyburger
May 1, 2020, 5:45 AM
Airbus plane conversion for cargo in the passenger hold:

According to FlightGlobal, around 30 pallets can be accommodated in an A350, while 28 can be carried in an A330.

https://simpleflying.com/a350-cargo-conversion/

Johnny Aussie
May 2, 2020, 3:30 AM
Looks like a Qatar 77W on its way to YVR right now.
QR 3312 ETA 0345.

https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR3312/246f5ac2

Also quite the impressive westbound transpacific traffic from YVR atm.

2 AC 789s to HKG
AC 77W to ICN
HU 789 to PEK
HU 332 to PVG
MU 333 to PVG
JL 788 to NRT
NH 789 to HND
CA 77W to PEK

Only one westbound a CX 359 from HKG.
Also have AC 854 to LHR on a 788.

Alexcaban
May 2, 2020, 4:00 AM
Looks like a Qatar 77W on its way to YVR right now.
QR 3312 ETA 0345.

https://www.flightradar24.com/QTR3312/246f5ac2

Also quite the impressive westbound transpacific traffic from YVR atm.

2 AC 789s to HKG
AC 77W to ICN
HU 789 to PEK
HU 332 to PVG
MU 333 to PVG
JL 788 to NRT
NH 789 to HND
CA 77W to PEK

Only one westbound a CX 359 from HKG.
Also have AC 854 to LHR on a 788.

Is the HU flight to PEK carrying passengers? Or is it cargo only, I'm not sure if that one airline one destination Chinese policy is still in effect.

jollyburger
May 2, 2020, 4:16 AM
Montreal got an Antanov An-225 with supplies from China

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/adb3381/#246f1a54

Vancouver to Seoul flight seems to regularly heading down to Mexico:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ke278

Johnny Aussie
May 2, 2020, 4:23 AM
Is the HU flight to PEK carrying passengers? Or is it cargo only, I'm not sure if that one airline one destination Chinese policy is still in effect.

Probably cargo only. The one airline one destination policy I think still applies to passenger flights only. An airline would still require bilateral authority on both sides to operate cargo. The whole one flight per week per airline per country is to carry passengers only. Hard to keep track which flight is the passenger only flights because some routes are flying practically daily.

Johnny Aussie
May 2, 2020, 4:26 AM
Vancouver to Seoul flight seems to regularly heading down to Mexico:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ke278

This is the Korean Cargo flight that originates in GDL then heads back to ICN with the interim stop in YVR.

This flight has been operating quite regularly.

The whole route is ICN-ANC-DFW-GDL-YVR-ICN

Johnny Aussie
May 3, 2020, 8:01 AM
Qatar’s 77W on its way back to DOH.

Looks like CA is back to PEK-YVR nonstops as well.. 4th day in a row flying nonstop. They were flying via Shenyang.
MU has been flying some of their special livery aircraft into YVR too. Their “People’s Daily Online” livery just landed in PVG from YVR. Meanwhile their SkyTeam livery A330 now on its way to YVR. They literally flew past each other.
CZ sending another 789 from CAN so these are supplementing the weekly A380 (assuming the A380 is the one allowing passengers).
Both Taiwanese carriers due to depart back to TPE in about an hour.
Beijing Capital (JD) currently flying in but from XMN this time (3 flights from XMN in the last 2 days).

excel
May 5, 2020, 4:16 AM
Video of China Southern A380 landing at YVR. Interesting that they required a follow me car and a tow into gate 68.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYztAeZsjr8

Denscity
May 5, 2020, 5:05 AM
Video of China Southern A380 landing at YVR. Interesting that they required a follow me car and a tow into gate 68.

Wow that was sick! Worthy of the national thread.

Johnny Aussie
May 5, 2020, 9:09 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Second CZ A380 on its way. Has it been a week already?

That Sichuan A350 at the beginning certainly is colourful.

Another Qatar 77W on its way from DOH as well.

teriyaki
May 5, 2020, 4:52 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Second CZ A380 on its way. Has it been a week already?

That Sichuan A350 at the beginning certainly is colourful.

Another Qatar 77W on its way from DOH as well.

Going to buzz some rooftops for this one!

Johnny Aussie
May 5, 2020, 5:11 PM
Going to buzz some rooftops for this one!

CZ just turned for a 26R final despite a tail wind. Had 2 China Southerns on the ground at the same time this morning the A380 and a 789 now on its way back to CAN.

Sichuan also sending their Panda livery again today.

Hainan flying its 4th PVG-YVR flight in the last 7 days... they’ve been busy on this route. Due in just under an hour.

Xiamen as well pretty much flying daily from XMN with another on the way.

trofirhen
May 5, 2020, 6:41 PM
Please excuse a question: are Qatar Airways flying freight? Are their flights to YVR for repatriation, or what? I know they normally do not fly to YVR so to what purpose are their flights?
When the restrictions are lifted from the pandemic, is it possible that Qatar would fly to Vancouver then also? Wishful thinking no doubt, but if there's a market, it might be ok to have them.
This, unless they pose a threat to Turkish. Qatar being Oneworld, Turkish, Star Alliance, I would welcome any feedback on this is if there is any discussion warranted.

LeftCoaster
May 5, 2020, 10:11 PM
Repatriation from Amristar I believe.

No it is not possible for them to fly post Covid because their bilaterals are maxed out with their YUL service.

trofirhen
May 5, 2020, 11:01 PM
Repatriation from Amristar I believe.

No it is not possible for them to fly post Covid because their bilaterals are maxed out with their YUL service.
Thank you for that info. Interesting that they are flying to Amristar.

Too bad (I guess) that they're already maxed ro the limit, but then, TK - YVR to Istanbul should take up any mideast slack, one would think.

Johnny Aussie
May 6, 2020, 8:47 PM
Yet another QR77W on its way. This one originated in Amritsar as well so I see the pattern.
The CZ A380 taxiing for takeoff right now.
Another day of various intl tails currently heading to YVR.
As of right now... NH, MF, BR, KE, HU, CX. MU and another MF heading the other way... and the usual multiple AC heavies to and from.
AC has stepped up flights to/from HKG and ICN lately.
Must be a shite load of cargo being shipped.

whatnext
May 6, 2020, 9:48 PM
Both flights are A350.

And the first A380 from CZ is on its way.

The first A350 from 3U (up-gauge starting from today) is also on its way to YVR.

Can someone remind me again, why is a plane as large as the A380 coming here now? :shrug:

Denscity
May 6, 2020, 10:47 PM
Can someone remind me again, why is a plane as large as the A380 coming here now? :shrug:

Limited frequency allowed + high enough demand?

casper
May 7, 2020, 7:23 AM

China wants to avoid infections entering its country due to travel. So they are restricting their airlines from operating more than one passenger flight per week to any given country.

excel
May 7, 2020, 5:09 PM
Video of Vietnam Airlines A350 at YVR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl4QPvleZ24

teriyaki
May 7, 2020, 5:25 PM
Limited frequency allowed + high enough demand?

This. Lots of people and things want to move from point A to point B and they can only do it infrequently.

Curious george in me is wondering if its possible to rig up a double decked plane like the 380 with one deck with people, and one deck with cargo for maximum efficiency

whatnext
May 7, 2020, 6:43 PM
China wants to avoid infections entering its country due to travel. So they are restricting their airlines from operating more than one passenger flight per week to any given country.

I'm just surprised there's even enough people to fill one plane a week.

Johnny Aussie
May 7, 2020, 7:21 PM
I'm just surprised there's even enough people to fill one plane a week.

I would highly doubt any of the passenger flights are full.

nname
May 7, 2020, 8:48 PM
I would highly doubt any of the passenger flights are full.

Capacity is limited to 75%, and all outbound flights toward China are "full" to the capacity.

Even most Air Canada flights to China in early to mid-June are full. And AFAIK, they don't even have the permission to operate those flights yet due to the one flight per route per airline restriction.

Tons of people trying to get back to China after the school was closed and university going into summer break, but they cannot get a seat due to frequency limitation and restriction on connecting traffic all over the world. Even if there are few remaining seats available, airlines are selling them at outrageous price (YVR-CAN, for example, is selling at $9087 one-way, and YVR-XMN is $8596). This is actually causing huge complaints within China. This is why the A380 is needed.

teriyaki
May 8, 2020, 1:06 AM
Capacity is limited to 75%, and all outbound flights toward China are "full" to the capacity.

Even most Air Canada flights to China in early to mid-June are full. And AFAIK, they don't even have the permission to operate those flights yet due to the one flight per route per airline restriction.

Tons of people trying to get back to China after the school was closed and university going into summer break, but they cannot get a seat due to frequency limitation and restriction on connecting traffic all over the world. Even if there are few remaining seats available, airlines are selling them at outrageous price (YVR-CAN, for example, is selling at $9087 one-way, and YVR-XMN is $8596). This is actually causing huge complaints within China. This is why the A380 is needed.

Wow, I just did a quick check and just saw the prices. Can't even buy a ticket for the next 2 weeks even if you wanted to pay. Direct to China destinations that is... didn't bother with transfers since so many countries don't even allow transfers and its so hard to keep track of whos allowing them.

Johnny Aussie
May 8, 2020, 4:06 AM
The second Vietnam Airlines 359 is on its way from HAN. This time the routing is HAN-YVR-HAN only.

nname
May 8, 2020, 5:13 AM
The second Vietnam Airlines 359 is on its way from HAN. This time the routing is HAN-YVR-HAN only.

According to flightradar24, seems like there is another one scheduled for tomorrow?

Nites
May 8, 2020, 9:57 AM
How do they load pallets onto a commercial passenger jet anyway? Obviously you can't just grab a pallet jack and load them. This must mean that every single box must be hand bombed into the cabin.

madog222
May 8, 2020, 12:18 PM
How do they load pallets onto a commercial passenger jet anyway? Obviously you can't just grab a pallet jack and load them. This must mean that every single box must be hand bombed into the cabin.
A Euro Pallet should fit in a cabin door.

thenoflyzone
May 8, 2020, 2:55 PM

Pretty much, yes.

Don't know about Boeing, but on Airbus models, the pallets are fitted onto the floor tracks. Each pallet then needs to be "loaded" manually. Netting is used to secure the cargo. One pallet can hold about 260 kg of cargo.

About 30 pallets can be installed on an A350, 28 on an A330.

Under EASA regulations (European equivalent of Transport Canada), along with the pilots the aircraft must carry trained fire monitors – typically three cabin crew – who must be seated away from the cargo and perform regular safety walks, carrying portable oxygen, to check for any sign of smoke or fire – including in the overhead bins. These monitors must also be able to tackle an outbreak with regular cabin equipment. Regulations also forbid any cargo classified as dangerous goods to be transported in the modified passenger cabin.

Source: flightglobal

Please excuse a question: are Qatar Airways flying freight? Are their flights to YVR for repatriation, or what?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-repatrition-foreign-airlines-pandemic-covid-coronavirus-1.5557612

In India, Qatar Airways is collecting the largest number of Canadians being repatriated from a single country. So far, 21 chartered Qatar Airways flights carrying more than 4,000 people have touched down in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

jollyburger
May 8, 2020, 3:45 PM
A Euro Pallet should fit in a cabin door.

They said the Airbus conversions bring in empty standard PKC pallets and attach them to the seat rails. So it sounds like those aren't being wheeled in with cargo.

Johnny Aussie
May 8, 2020, 5:07 PM
Hainan operating from both PEK (332) and PVG (333) today. And CX also flying two flights into YVR today (a 77W and a 359).

Denscity
May 8, 2020, 6:14 PM
Wow sounds like YVR is quite busy compared to most airports.

Johnny Aussie
May 8, 2020, 7:45 PM

Compared to other Canadian airports for international ops yes... YYZ also seeing plenty... and lots of activity in SYD and MEL in Australia as well.

Just go to FR24 and filter YVR and you’ll see. Right now 16 intl heavies to/from YVR... AC x5, HU x2, VN, CX x2, NH, MF x2, BR, CZ and W8 in the air now.

Lots of unusual movements (like QR, VN and the CZ 388 for example) that YVR doesn’t normally see. Speaking of QR, yet another one now on its way from DOH.

Cheap entertainment.

YYCguys
May 8, 2020, 9:48 PM
YYZ also seeing plenty Maybe it was just the day of the week I happened to be in YYZ, but terminal three had just three international flights on the board that day: KLM, BA, and PIA.

Johnny Aussie
May 8, 2020, 11:39 PM
Maybe it was just the day of the week I happened to be in YYZ, but terminal three had just three international flights on the board that day: KLM, BA, and PIA.

Just filter FR24 to YYZ and you will see plenty. Very few flights are carrying passengers... many airports have become pseudo cargo hubs.

Johnny Aussie
May 9, 2020, 8:03 AM
According to flightradar24, seems like there is another one scheduled for tomorrow?

Doesn’t look like that one is going ahead. Lately the departure and arrival listings for each airport haven’t been very accurate. Some flights complete and then “fall off” a city’s departure or arrival list. And some that are listed (such as the VN flight you saw) don’t occur or the departure time is wrong and the flight eventually does happen.
Only way I’ve been able to track activity is just watching FR24 live. Also, another thing happening quite a bit is the destination isn’t listed while an aircraft is airborne... you can sort of guess where it’s going but until it actually lands can be a bit of a mystery.

hollywoodcory
May 9, 2020, 6:27 PM

The only major airport that has really seen major losses in Canada in regards to international ops is YYC. YYZ/YVR have been benefiting from repatriation flights, and YUL has retained some of its international ops. YYC has seen a single international flight carrying pax in the last month. If you told me 2 months ago that AA would have a stronger presence in May/June than AC & WS entire international/US ops combined, I would have called you crazy. :haha:

Denscity
May 9, 2020, 7:27 PM
The only major airport that has really seen major losses in Canada in regards to international ops is YYC. YYZ/YVR have been benefiting from repatriation flights, and YUL has retained some of its international ops. YYC has seen a single international flight carrying pax in the last month. If you told me 2 months ago that AA would have a stronger presence in May/June than AC & WS entire international/US ops combined, I would have called you crazy. :haha:

Wow haha!

Johnny Aussie
May 9, 2020, 9:45 PM
Just filter FR24 to YYZ and you will see plenty. Very few flights are carrying passengers... many airports have become pseudo cargo hubs.

FYI right now there are 22 Intl heavies heading into/out of YYZ. 15 of those are on AC.

YVR has 10 total including all carriers right now. Highest I saw yesterday at any one time was 19 for YVR.

That’s it for Canadian airports as of this moment.

Denscity
May 9, 2020, 11:03 PM
FYI right now there are 22 Intl heavies heading into/out of YYZ. 15 of those are on AC.

YVR has 10 total including all carriers right now. Highest I saw yesterday at any one time was 19 for YVR.

That’s it for Canadian airports as of this moment.

How's YUL been fairing lately? Lots of action from French speaking countries?

Johnny Aussie
May 10, 2020, 1:22 AM

Don’t really follow it but if you go to FR24 and filter any airport you can see flights live. Certainly not many right now (2 - both AC).

AC just sent a 77W YVR-LAX even.

MU had its colourful “Greenland Group” coloured livery in today... heading back to PVG now.

Hope that guy filming YVR action is getting all these amazing liveries that have been visiting lately.

Don’t really follow the narrow bodies much but AA has been running twice daily DFW-YVR last few days...

hollywoodcory
May 10, 2020, 1:30 AM

AC currently has 2 flights in the air from YUL to CDG & LHR. They also serve FRA too.
There's a Flair flight headed to GUA right now.
AF maintains a few flights per week to CDG.
TU appears to operate the occasional flight to TUN.

Overall not too bad.

thenoflyzone
May 10, 2020, 3:34 AM
AC currently has 2 flights in the air from YUL to CDG & LHR. They also serve FRA too.
There's a Flair flight headed to GUA right now.
AF maintains a few flights per week to CDG.
TU appears to operate the occasional flight to TUN.

Overall not too bad.

and QR to DOH. that's about it. LH was operating to FRA in April as well, but that is no longer the case I think.

Some weird stuff on occasion, but nothing crazy. It's been a few days now a Hi Fly A340 has been flying from TAO (Qingdao, China) to YUL.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9h-sol

YMX has also seen a small uptick in cargo movements. Western Global has been running MD-11s from Asia to YMX via ANC on a steady basis lately.

hollywoodcory
May 10, 2020, 6:03 PM
A few updates:

WS appears to have planned a possible June 26 resumption of YVR-LAX, the rest are suspended until July 4. The flights from June 26-July 4 are only open in full fare, so I expect further changes to that.

AC has cancelled YVR-TPE until March 2021.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/291194/update-as-of-1125gmt-10may20-air-canada-closes-vancouver-taipei-reservation-until-late-march-2021/

Johnny Aussie
May 10, 2020, 7:53 PM
Another unique livery on its way... Xiamen is flying its “United Dream” 789 XMN-YVR now.

Xiamen appears to be flying daily at the moment.

Also, Hainan operating both PEK and PVG again today.

MU also has its SkyTeam liveried 332 on the ground about to head back to PVG.

whatnext
May 11, 2020, 6:35 PM
Layoffs at YVR and some scary traffic projections:

The Vancouver Airport Authority is issuing layoff notices on Monday (May 11) as it expects to have half the passengers – or less – travelling through its gates over the next three years.

YVR is expecting its annual passenger numbers to drop from 26 million - pre-COVID-19 numbers - to between eight and 15 million. After offering voluntary departure packages at the end of April, the airport authority made the decision to next start layoffs.

The airport authority normally employs 550 people, but they plan to reduce this by 25 per cent, laying off both management and unionized workers....

https://biv.com/article/2020/05/yvr-airport-authority-issues-layoff-notices

zahav
May 12, 2020, 5:06 AM
Speaking of traffic, the March stats are now posted at yvr.ca; I can't even post them here, so bleak as expected, I don't want to be reminded :(

libtard
May 12, 2020, 5:39 AM
All YVR’s projects have come to a stand still aswell. The geothermal exchange building is half done. With no plans to restart any of the projects. Looks like YVR’s grand ideas are going to be sitting idle for a while half finished

Johnny Aussie
May 12, 2020, 7:18 AM
Was anyone expecting pax stats to be good? I can’t imagine any airport would have “good” stats. Each airport that I’ve seen stats for is down over 40% YOY in March.

This is not unique to YVR folks. This is global.

And the next CZ A380 is on its way. Has it already been another week?

connect2source
May 12, 2020, 1:38 PM
All YVR’s projects have come to a stand still aswell. The geothermal exchange building is half done. With no plans to restart any of the projects. Looks like YVR’s grand ideas are going to be sitting idle for a while half finished

Most frustrating is probably the 99% complete D Pier expansion which was set to open in June.

I'm sure the parkade and geothermal buildings will re-start as traffic improves perhaps later this year.

libtard
May 12, 2020, 3:18 PM
Most frustrating is probably the 99% complete D Pier expansion which was set to open in June.

I'm sure the parkade and geothermal buildings will re-start as traffic improves perhaps later this year.

YVR is expecting 8 million passengers for the next 3 years. It’ll be a half finished construction site until at least 2023

casper
May 12, 2020, 3:29 PM
YVR is expecting 8 million passengers for the next 3 years. It’ll be a half finished construction site until at least 2023

I have not been to the airport in a little while. Did they at least get it to the point where the building envelopes are complete.

craneSpotter
May 12, 2020, 3:42 PM
Was anyone expecting pax stats to be good? I can’t imagine any airport would have “good” stats. Each airport that I’ve seen stats for is down over 40% YOY in March.

This is not unique to YVR folks. This is global.

And the next CZ A380 is on its way. Has it already been another week?

Yeah, and April will be even worse, of course... There is speculation that when things return to 'normal', due to changes in airline sanitation and airport protocols etc that airfares will be quite a bit higher on average than pre covid19 and there will be much less business & leisure travel - further cutting PAX numbers for a long while.

Cross border traffic US/CAN via auto is down ~90% in April, too. I feel for the people that work in the tourism/hospitality industry...

Xiamen - Has China relaxed it rules - one Canadian city per week, per airline? Or is it cargo?

craneSpotter
May 12, 2020, 3:59 PM

I imagine that those YVR projects would have been fully financed/funded before being tendered and awarded. It is probably a YVR policy on distancing/sanitation etc right now that has brought them to a halt (YVR does save progress payments for a reasonable cause). You can't just cancel a project that has been awarded to a contractor unless there is a 'force majeure' clause in the contract that covers pandemics.. or there is a some sort of contractural default on the part of the contractor. Otherwise the contractor would sue YVR for the value of lost work.

libtard
May 12, 2020, 4:16 PM
I imagine that those YVR projects would have been fully financed/funded before being tendered and awarded. It is probably a YVR policy on distancing/sanitation etc right now that has brought them to a halt (YVR does save progress payments for a reasonable cause). You can't just cancel a project that has been awarded to a contractor unless there is a 'force majeure' clause in the contract that covers pandemics.. or there is a some sort of contractural default on the part of the contractor. Otherwise the contractor would sue YVR for the value of lost work.

This is not true. Construction sites are one of the few places that are still allowing workers to be there. YVR has completely shut them down while other construction sites around Vancouver remain active.

Johnny Aussie
May 12, 2020, 7:05 PM
Yeah, and April will be even worse, of course... There is speculation that when things return to 'normal', due to changes in airline sanitation and airport protocols etc that airfares will be quite a bit higher on average than pre covid19 and there will be much less business & leisure travel - further cutting PAX numbers for a long while.

Cross border traffic US/CAN via auto is down ~90% in April, too. I feel for the people that work in the tourism/hospitality industry...

Xiamen - Has China relaxed it rules - one Canadian city per week, per airline? Or is it cargo?

Yes very unfortunate. It’s terrible. So many variables at play here trying to predict the future is pretty tough as well. Future planning would be a nightmare when you don’t even know the slightest what your market is going to be.

Most flights are cargo only but Xiamen, Hainan, China Southern, China Eastern and Sichuan are still flying multiple times per week into YVR. Air China seems to be the only Chinese carrier doing one flight per week to YVR now. Previously they were 3-4 times per week in April and early May. EVA another standout as they are “scheduled” for one flight a week but they are flying 5 times per week now. NH is another airline flying more than what’s been scheduled. In fact seems most Asian carriers are doing that... the ones that are still flying to YVR anyway.

connect2source
May 12, 2020, 8:13 PM
I have not been to the airport in a little while. Did they at least get it to the point where the building envelopes are complete.

Pier D expansion : looks just about complete from an exterior perspective

Parkade : about 1/3 of the structure built

Geothermal Exchange : just beginning construction of the structure

moosejaw
May 13, 2020, 6:35 AM
You can't just cancel a project that has been awarded to a contractor unless there is a 'force majeure' clause in the contract that covers pandemics.. or there is a some sort of contractural default on the part of the contractor.
Sure you can
Plenty of my projects are being out on hold
There’s always language in any contract that protects at least one or more parties. Usually the end user with a fair payout to the general contractor for costs incurred to put the project on hold

dharper
May 13, 2020, 5:10 PM
I thought I saw something about stopping construction at YVR before. Go to 2:48 of this Craig Richmond video from YVR.CA, from March 27.
https://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/craigs-corner-important-covid19-update