PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 [151] 152 153 154 155 156

thenoflyzone
Feb 13, 2020, 10:52 PM
^A huge paragraph..... with garbage filler material....

Tweedle dick at his best.....lol

twoNeurons
Feb 14, 2020, 8:45 PM
Especially at Bangalore. The route makes sense on an O&D level. Alaska will provide the onward feed. Smart strategy by AA, but lets face it, no one was expecting this. Some say it's retaliation for DL building up MIA and their recent tie-up with LATAM in South America.

Enjoy it while you can. Some believe the benefits of their rewards program will weaken with them joining OneWorld.

https://onemileatatime.com/alaska-airlines-oneworld/

I was planning on building my AK stash of miles this year and using them next year, but I may have to move up that plan slightly. Already spent a wad of Avios on some First-class tickets from Japan at the end of the year, though.

casper
Feb 15, 2020, 12:10 AM
Although not YVR related as I realise some love to bring SEA up often but it will be fun watching AA and DL duke it out.
Looks like Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum have chimed in again.
Somebody above alluded to the congestion that SEA is facing:
Their number 1 current huge project is their IAF (Intl Arrivals Facility) - the emphasis here is the “Arrivals” aspect. The facility itself is really an enhanced intl processing facility. A much needed improvement there.
Unfortunately this “expansion” is not delivering any gate capacity. At the moment there are no immediate plans for gate expansion. There is very little room to move for any sort of significant expansion without a serious overhaul of the existing facility or expropriation. In any event there really isn’t a lot of capacity left for either carrier to build up a large intl hub network. Just look at SEA’s Projects page and it’s all about modernisation and enhancements not true “expansions.”
AA’s benefit here is that they have an instant domestic network at their disposal thanks to AS’s huge hub in SEA. DL had to build from scratch. Case in point - DL’s intl network has not gained any additional frequencies in the last couple of years (HKG out KIX in). Also note, other carriers aren’t just standing by... even Star Alliance carriers such as SQ and LH are starting new services. Seattle is a huge market but how big is the pie and how much can each carrier get from that pie?
The discussion about taxiway congestion is also significant. SEA’s three runway layout means that if you land on 34L/16R you have to cross not one but two other active runways. This can create a huge mess when trying to get arriving planes into the gate areas which are all located on the extreme East of the airfield. This is even highlighted in the SEA airport projects page... waiting times for gate space and taxiing congestion. Fun to watch on FR24 as flights arriving get "trapped" between the runways as too many flights are taking off. ATC cannot hold departures long enough to get the arriving planes into the gate areas otherwise the departing flights then get backed up and clog the gate area aprons.
Even LAX which has a 4 runway system at most arriving planes only have to cross one other active runway. Even then arriving flights get stacked up and down the area between the runways then all cross at once in between departing flights.. great fun to watch from the LAX Hilton lounge.
This may also be a step in the direction of AA acquiring AS. There are some who will refuse to believe this could happen but... there have been WAY bigger mergers in the history of US aviation! And once you’re in the same alliance do you need two carriers in the same country? UA/CO comes to mind?

So meanwhile YVR is expanding with additional gates and facilities... Cleary YVR’s is in for a downturn and what’s happening is no reflection on Vancouver as the global events that are affecting worldwide travel is having and will have a significant impact at YVR.

This week I did a trip down to Dallas. Went down on WS connecting to Delta at LAX. Back was Alaska connecting in SEA.

LAX is a mess. The gate wait areas are to small for the number of passengers typically carried on the larger higher density aircraft they are using today. Given the strong "partnership" between Delta and WestJet you would expect an easy transfer but no it requires an airside bus transfer. At least the Delta business lounge is nice.

SEA is a mess. Same gate wait area crowing issues as LAX. Arriving flight stuck between the runways. However if was not stuck it could not get to its gate due to congestion. The SEA-YVR (E75) flight was late, due to overcrowding the in coming flight had to be off-loaded at a different gate and towed over to our gate. A number of passangers were connecting in Vancouver to Hong Kong on the midnight departure, they were called up and rerouted given the delayed departure.

From a customer experience perspective YVR is in a much better position.

LeftCoaster
Feb 15, 2020, 12:26 AM
^A huge paragraph..... with garbage filler material....

Tweedle dick at his best.....lol

What a well thought out and insightful post.

Thank you for your continued valuable contribution to this forum...

whatnext
Feb 15, 2020, 12:38 AM
This week I did a trip down to Dallas. Went down on WS connecting to Delta at LAX. Back was Alaska connecting in SEA.

LAX is a mess. The gate wait areas are to small for the number of passengers typically carried on the larger higher density aircraft they are using today. Given the strong "partnership" between Delta and WestJet you would expect an easy transfer but no it requires an airside bus transfer. At least the Delta business lounge is nice.

SEA is a mess. Same gate wait area crowing issues as LAX. Arriving flight stuck between the runways. However if was not stuck it could not get to its gate due to congestion. The SEA-YVR (E75) flight was late, due to overcrowding the in coming flight had to be off-loaded at a different gate and towed over to our gate. A number of passangers were connecting in Vancouver to Hong Kong on the midnight departure, they were called up and rerouted given the delayed departure.

From a customer experience perspective YVR is in a much better position.

Yes, and the renovation they did at that termnal made it even worse. Big clunky pieces of furniture blocking the way at gates that were already too small.

In other news UA has said their 737Maxs' will remain off the schedule through the summer. (https://business.financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/united-airlines-pulls-boeing-737-max-from-schedule-until-sept-4)

Johnny Aussie
Feb 15, 2020, 3:27 AM

^ This. And that’s what I mean. It’s all good to talk about building a hub but there is minimal room to grow anything significantly. There is just nowhere to grow without significant overhauls or expropriation. There is talk about possible terminal expansion but not until 2030 at the earliest. So in the next 10 years how will they be able to grow significant international operations for a hub. This will also require the relocation of cargo facilities. But where do they go? Also, increasing the volume of flights will only cause further congestion to their 3 parallel runway system. There is already so much congestion and the lineups go back to the terminal aprons. There is also very little room to move on the aprons between the concourses. A pretty tough layout to grow anything significant. A bit of a conundrum.
And to reiterate YVR had 8 million more intl pax than SEA in 2019... despite all their additions.
And despite all the competition YVR is facing a decent month of growth across all sectors in December despite some forum members who were probably hoping for a decline. Obviously 2020 will be challenging for many airports but the factors causing this are out of anybody’s control.

s211
Feb 15, 2020, 7:14 PM
What a well thought out and insightful post.

Thank you for your continued valuable contribution to this forum...

Yeah, it was an easy and simple choice for me to add him to my ignore list. :cheers:

Monolith
Feb 15, 2020, 11:21 PM
www.vancouversun.ca/YVR closing in 2021/

The Vancouver Airport Authority announced today that it will be shutting down Vancouver International Airport (YVR) in 2021...

Well, I think we should at least have high speed rail to Seattle before they close YVR. Sheesh! :haha:

libtard
Feb 15, 2020, 11:40 PM
Lol Johnny Aussie has an alias. That’s what you get for being annoying

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2020, 4:12 AM
In trying to be positive about all this, what I seem to gather from the above posts is that SEA-TAC has a crowded terminal. YVR is better, with bigger gates, users say.
As such, does that have any impact on new routes opening up from either airport. Seattle just got Bangalore, which is great. But are Seattle's facilities stifling new routes?
And are YVR's seemingly more spacious facilities any prognosticator that Vancouver will see new routes? In any event, I think YVR - LIM, or YVR - GRU would break the meniscus here.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 16, 2020, 4:40 AM
Yeah, it was an easy and simple choice for me to add him to my ignore list. :cheers:

It took you that long!? Only have to read the drivel when someone quotes him.

thenoflyzone
Feb 16, 2020, 6:44 AM
Seattle just got Bangalore, which is great. But are Seattle's facilities stifling new routes?

You tell me....

CX, SQ and JL in 2019. AC to YUL, LH to MUC, DE to MUC, PR to MNL and now AA to LHR/BLR in 2020/2021. (mind you UA wants to block PR to MNL, so we'll see if it happens)

Meanwhile, no new airlines at YVR in 2019, and 2020 will see TK/IST and Sun Country.

Yes, as you can see, airport constraints and the dreaded 2 runway crossing is keeping airlines away from SEA. LOL

Meanwhile, AA and UA have canceled China and HK service until the end of April. They are very likely to extend into the summer as well. Let's see what AC does.

YVR, with all that extra capacity, was stagnant in 2019, and will see a huge decline in pax numbers in 2020. So obviously, as tweedle dick said, airport constraints are a huge deterent/factor in airlines deciding where to fly.

Denscity
Feb 16, 2020, 7:10 AM
...and after that Vancouver will still have way more international passengers than Seattle.

thenoflyzone
Feb 16, 2020, 7:22 AM
...and after that Vancouver will still have way more international passengers than Seattle.

Never said the contrary.

SpongeG
Feb 16, 2020, 8:02 AM
I saw on the news it could take 18 months to get a vaccine for the Coronavirus. If it keeps spreading it could extend the cancelled flights to China globally?

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2020, 8:06 AM
You tell me....

CX, SQ and JL in 2019. AC to YUL, LH to MUC, DE to MUC, PR to MNL and now AA to LHR/BLR in 2020/2021. (mind you UA wants to block PR to MNL, so we'll see if it happens)
^^ - I presume here that you are referring to Seattle.^^
Meanwhile, no new airlines at YVR in 2019, and 2020 will see TK/IST and Sun Country.
Yes! TK will be a great addition, and MPLS-based Sun Country has a great US network. I should welcome them.. YVR is yet the only Canadian destination. :tup:

Yes, as you can see, airport constraints and the dreaded 2 runway crossing is keeping airlines away from SEA. LOL
^^Would you elaborate on the "dreaded 2 runway crossing" please. SEA has 3 runways, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong.^^

Meanwhile, AA and UA have canceled China and HK service until the end of April. They are very likely to extend into the summer as well. Let's see what AC does.
^^So, out of Seattle China and HK service cut by the principal US airlines, and will AC do the same out of YVR?

YVR, with all that extra capacity, was stagnant in 2019, and will see a huge decline in pax numbers in 2020. So obviously, as tweedle dick said, airport constraints are a huge deterent/factor in airlines deciding where to fly.
Thank you for this answer. May I ask that we refer to the letter above.
^^Thank you for the clarification on airport termiunal constraints. That tells me quite a bit. However, using such crude familiarities when addressing a SSP senior member is distasteful.
I think it not inappropriate to request polite behaviour on the forum. I have learned this on my own, so I think I speak from experience and for others. Thank you for your understanding.

casper
Feb 16, 2020, 8:13 AM
You tell me....

Not certain what the argument is your trying to make here. The new "SEA" flights you listed as mostly flights already serviced by YVR.

Lets take a look at the SEA additions you identified in more detailed:
- Lufthansa now adding Munich in Seattle to augment its YVR flight to Munich.
- SQ - they pulled out after Sept 11th. They mostly carried passengers to South Korea. A route served daily by two other airlines from YVR.
- JL - An airline that has served Vancouver for decades. Yes a few years ago they dropped Mexico City, however having a Japanese airline operate a tag on is a little weird these days. We are well served by both JL and AC to Narita and ANA to more trendy Tokyo airport.
- DE - Who is going to get overly worked about a discount leisure airline. They have served both SEA and YVR for years.
- PR - They have served Vancouver for years.
- AA - London. If you want to be oneworld, BA bring the A380 into Vancovuer during the summer and a smaller aircraft (e.g. 747) during the winter. Add on to that AC, WestJet and Transat and that city is well served.
- AA to India - AC started to that a few years ago.

I use to be based out of YYJ and would frequently go through US customs in SEA. Not a good experience. The airport is struggling to manage the volumes it has now. The rest of the airport is also struggling to manage.

Next time your in the long-term parking lot in YVR, look around you will see a good percentage of Washington State plates in the parking lot. That is a pretty good indication of what is going on. Next time you come off the the SEA-YVR flight watch how many of your fellow passengers follow the line for international connections. That also says a lot.

I am a big proponent of the concept of Cascadia and the principle that anything that makes part of the economic corridor more business friendly is a positive for the rest of the corridor. So anything that improves Seattle and Portland is a positive for Vancouver. However SEATAC will unfortunately be a limiting factor. YVR will have to out perform to compensate.

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2020, 9:01 AM
Not certain what the argument is your trying to make here. The new "SEA" flights you listed as mostly flights already serviced by YVR.

Lets take a look at the SEA additions you identified in more detailed:
- Lufthansa now adding Munich in Seattle to augment its YVR flight to Munich.
- SQ - they pulled out after Sept 11th. They mostly carried passengers to South Korea. A route served daily by two other airlines from YVR.
- JL - An airline that has served Vancouver for decades. Yes a few years ago they dropped Mexico City, however having a Japanese airline operate a tag on is a little weird these days. We are well served by both JL and AC to Narita and ANA to more trendy Tokyo airport.
- DE - Who is going to get overly worked about a discount leisure airline. They have served both SEA and YVR for years.
- PR - They have served Vancouver for years.
- AA - London. If you want to be oneworld, BA bring the A380 into Vancovuer during the summer and a smaller aircraft (e.g. 747) during the winter. Add on to that AC, WestJet and Transat and that city is well served.
- AA to India - AC started to that a few years ago.

I use to be based out of YYJ and would frequently go through US customs in SEA. Not a good experience. The airport is struggling to manage the volumes it has now. The rest of the airport is also struggling to manage.

Next time your in the long-term parking lot in YVR, look around you will see a good percentage of Washington State plates in the parking lot. That is a pretty good indication of what is going on. Next time you come off the the SEA-YVR flight watch how many of your fellow passengers follow the line for international connections. That also says a lot.

I am a big proponent of the concept of Cascadia and the principle that anything that makes part of the economic corridor more business friendly is a positive for the rest of the corridor. So anything that improves Seattle and Portland is a positive for Vancouver. However SEATAC will unfortunately be a limiting factor.
YVR will have to out perform to compensate.
Yes. Thank you, sir. That is absolute, as Glen Korström implied in the recent BIV article on Seattle. A game-changer would be a flight to South America like YVR-GRU or YVR-LIMA.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 16, 2020, 9:22 AM

I am a big proponent of the concept of Cascadia and the principle that anything that makes part of the economic corridor more business friendly is a positive for the rest of the corridor. So anything that improves Seattle and Portland is a positive for Vancouver. However SEATAC will unfortunately be a limiting factor. YVR will have to out perform to compensate.

That's my point... going forward if DL and AA both want to develop large intl hubs out of SEA where are these flights going to park? The airport is facing constraints now... runway capacity, taxiway capacity, gate capacity and apron capacity... how much more can it handle? In order for SEA to really lift its game it needs to seriously look at its footprint and deal with it. Not one additional gate is in the pipeline... how can it grow international operations significantly without additional gates?

And even if SEA more than doubled its current intl operations it would still be less than YVR's total. Simple maths. 13.7 million vs 5.7 million. And a city that is stronger economically and much larger... I also doubt SEA is big enough for both an AA and A DL hub... will be fun to see what happens... hard to understand for some I suppose. I suppose one chimes in the other isn't too far behind... as predictable as the tides... face plant!

trofirhen
Feb 16, 2020, 9:26 AM
And even if SEA more than doubled its current intl operations it would still be less than YVR's total. Simple maths. 13.7 million vs 5.7 million. And a city that is stronger economically and much larger... hard to understand for some I suppose.
Yes, at face value YVR has over twice the international pax as SEA. However ... does YVR international include transborder? If yes, then the overseas pax between the two is less striking.

nname
Feb 16, 2020, 8:23 PM
Seems like DL is making YVR-ATL daily year-round.

UA increased YVR-IAD to 3x weekly during summer (from 1x weekly)

s211
Feb 16, 2020, 9:40 PM
It took you that long!? Only have to read the drivel when someone quotes him.

Heck no. I put him on my ignore list immediately after he started visiting the YVR thread. I still have to live with others quoting his posts. :(

CloudInspector
Feb 16, 2020, 9:51 PM
Seems like DL is making YVR-ATL daily year-round

SLC is also going double daily in May. Seems like a good result of the pending WS JV.

casper
Feb 16, 2020, 10:45 PM
Yes. Thank you, sir. That is absolute, as Glen Korström implied in the recent BIV article on Seattle. A game-changer would be a flight to South America like YVR-GRU or YVR-LIMA.

Exactly the region is growing dramatically and the airport in Seattle is not going to be able to meet the needs of the region.

This is no different that New York where no one airport can meet the needs of the region.

casper
Feb 16, 2020, 10:51 PM
That's my point... going forward if DL and AA both want to develop large intl hubs out of SEA where are these flights going to park? The airport is facing constraints now... runway capacity, taxiway capacity, gate capacity and apron capacity... how much more can it handle? In order for SEA to really lift its game it needs to seriously look at its footprint and deal with it. Not one additional gate is in the pipeline... how can it grow international operations significantly without additional gates?

And even if SEA more than doubled its current intl operations it would still be less than YVR's total. Simple maths. 13.7 million vs 5.7 million. And a city that is stronger economically and much larger... I also doubt SEA is big enough for both an AA and A DL hub... will be fun to see what happens... hard to understand for some I suppose. I suppose one chimes in the other isn't too far behind... as predictable as the tides... face plant!

SEA will probably stay an Alaska and Delta hub. AA will likely a half dozen international flights that use feed from Alaska.

I agree expansion is going to be limited. SEA is already remote stands. Alaska is running flight out of a second Seattle airport. This will likely become a slot controlled airport in the not to distant future.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 17, 2020, 1:37 AM

UA increased YVR-IAD to 3x weekly during summer (from 1x weekly)

SLC is also going double daily in May. Seems like a good result of the pending WS JV.

And DL going daily year-round to JFK starting this spring. So all up DL will have 12 daily flights this summer. 13 on Saturdays and Sundays. Split 6 daily Mainline and 6 daily DL Connection. Ironically the only route seeing a cut is YVR-SEA being cut to 6 daily from 7 (was actually planned to be 8). Not a bad result for DL at YVR. They’ve also dumped YEG and YYJ from SEA and YYC was reduced so not sure how well they’re doing with that hub from a Canadian connections point of view.

Heck no. I put him on my ignore list immediately after he started visiting the YVR thread. I still have to live with others quoting his posts. :(

“Visiting” is a very polite way to put it. Adds zero value... actually negative value to this thread.

CloudInspector
Feb 17, 2020, 4:05 AM
And DL going daily year-round to JFK starting this spring. So all up DL will have 12 daily flights this summer. 13 on Saturdays and Sundays. Split 6 daily Mainline and 6 daily DL Connection. Ironically the only route seeing a cut is YVR-SEA being cut to 6 daily from 7 (was actually planned to be 8). Not a bad result for DL at YVR. They’ve also dumped YEG and YYJ from SEA and YYC was reduced so not sure how well they’re doing with that hub from a Canadian connections point of view.

It seems like with the WS/DL JV, WS is doing the flying from YYC to DL hubs and DL is handling the YVR flying, that’s interesting. I wonder if encore will start YVR-SEA/PDX in the near future?

Johnny Aussie
Feb 17, 2020, 4:17 AM
It seems like with the WS/DL JV, WS is doing the flying from YYC to DL hubs and DL is handling the YVR flying, that’s interesting. I wonder if encore will start YVR-SEA/PDX in the near future?

Certainly moreso yes. From YYC to DL hubs:

DL: MSP, SLC, SEA
WS: JFK, ATL

s211
Feb 17, 2020, 5:24 PM

Dang. I know Atlanta is a Delta hub, but ever since Delta began refusing lounge access to business class travellers on flights to Canada or Mexico, they lost my business.

connect2source
Feb 17, 2020, 6:05 PM
Every so often I read the Skytrax reviews of YVR and they're typically pretty favourable but lately they've been nothing short of horrific. I know Skytrax isn't all that respected but being a frequent YVR visitor I have to agree with most of the comments regarding, terrible food options, very long waits for luggage, ever-growing security delays including NEXUS, bizarre and super-slow and inefficient immigration process, terrible flow and very longs walks to gates from security point in the international terminal.

YVR was once so respected but other international gateways are improving quickly and YVR seems stuck in the past.

Here's a link to the latest reviews on Skytrax.

https://www.airlinequality.com/airport-reviews/vancouver-airport/page/1/

TheGreatestX
Feb 19, 2020, 3:32 AM
Every so often I read the Skytrax reviews of YVR and they're typically pretty favourable but lately they've been nothing short of horrific. I know Skytrax isn't all that respected but being a frequent YVR visitor I have to agree with most of the comments regarding, terrible food options, very long waits for luggage, ever-growing security delays including NEXUS, bizarre and super-slow and inefficient immigration process, terrible flow and very longs walks to gates from security point in the international terminal.

YVR was once so respected but other international gateways are improving quickly and YVR seems stuck in the past.

I actually missed a connection (HKG-YVR-YEG) because I waited so long for my bag.

whatnext
Feb 19, 2020, 4:10 AM

Other than the wait for bags I don't agree with a lot of that.

casper
Feb 19, 2020, 4:34 AM

Some of it is legitimate and will become worse over time. I use to be based out of Victoria a few years ago.

The hike from WestJet Encore to US departures is a long walk. If your coming in from Victoria and making a US connection it takes a good long time.

I have arrived off the Heathrow flight trying to may an onward connection and between people handing out cards and redirection it is confusing. I think they tried to clean some of that up.

There are a few widebody gates on the domestic side that simply lack adequate seating for the size of the aircraft. Common problem with many airports. The airlines have all switched to larger aircraft. 737-800 replacing what a decade ago was a 737-200/400 or A321 replacing an A319. The airlines have also taken away waiting space to build these mazes of line-ups for Zone 1 to 5.

YVR has done better than most at adapting but as it keeps growing the length of a walk is going to increase. They are to big for everything to be central but to small to have air side people movers.

They do get five stars for looking good, plants and art work.

Alexcaban
Feb 19, 2020, 5:07 AM

The hell that is rolling a 4 wheel roller bag at YVR, the carpet needs to go..... other then that YVR is a great airport.

Will be even better when 49th Parallel Coffee opens near gate 30.

dharper
Feb 19, 2020, 7:00 AM
Is Qantas going to cancel the nonstop YVR-SYD flight next December-January, after the retire their 747 fleet? I can't find any info regarding the future of that flight, nor find it available to book.

Ozabald
Feb 19, 2020, 2:47 PM
I would agree that YVR has lost some of its shine. The food and beverage options are rather lacking. Only one full-service restaurant in the international departures area. Surprisingly, one Canadian airport which outperforms YVR on food & beverage is YEG; which has seven full-service sit-down dining options post security in the domestic/international area.

casper
Feb 19, 2020, 2:49 PM
Is Qantas going to cancel the nonstop YVR-SYD flight next December-January, after the retire their 747 fleet? I can't find any info regarding the future of that flight, nor find it available to book.

I believe the idea was floated by them that it would be an ideal route for the 787 when they were ordering that aircraft. Several years ago, times change so no idea where it stands now.

Denscity
Feb 19, 2020, 3:36 PM
YVR is adding a whole bunch of new food and beverage options so don't worry about that. And which airports have way better f n b options?

Ozabald
Feb 19, 2020, 4:00 PM
In Canada, YEG, YYZ (Terminal 3) and YUL for sure. US West Coast: PDX, SJC, SMF and perhaps SEA (once their F&B refresh is completed).

YVR is adding a whole bunch of new food and beverage options so don't worry about that. And which airports have way better f n b options?

SpongeG
Feb 20, 2020, 6:30 PM
Edmonton's airport food options are awful. YVR international is good, domestic is ok. We could use a McDonalds though.

---

I flew in on WestJet on tuesday, they have installed those new glass door exits on the WestJet side now, you need to go through them to go to the baggage claim area from the gate areas. It was all open the last time I flew with WestJet in December.

whatnext
Feb 20, 2020, 6:34 PM
Some of it is legitimate and will become worse over time. I use to be based out of Victoria a few years ago.

The hike from WestJet Encore to US departures is a long walk. If your coming in from Victoria and making a US connection it takes a good long time.

I have arrived off the Heathrow flight trying to may an onward connection and between people handing out cards and redirection it is confusing. I think they tried to clean some of that up.

There are a few widebody gates on the domestic side that simply lack adequate seating for the size of the aircraft. Common problem with many airports. The airlines have all switched to larger aircraft. 737-800 replacing what a decade ago was a 737-200/400 or A321 replacing an A319. The airlines have also taken away waiting space to build these mazes of line-ups for Zone 1 to 5.

YVR has done better than most at adapting but as it keeps growing the length of a walk is going to increase. They are to big for everything to be central but to small to have air side people movers.

They do get five stars for looking good, plants and art work.

I'll take your word for it,as I don't fly Westjet.

memememe76
Feb 20, 2020, 7:21 PM
With US Preclearance, Canadian airports have to separate their International wings (one with preclearance, one without). I love US Preclearance, so I will live with limited food and drink options.

Aren't there two dine-in options in the International section? That Canucks restaurants, and some wine place.

YYCguys
Feb 20, 2020, 7:52 PM
Aren't there two dine-in options in the International section? That Canucks restaurants, and some wine place.

I can’t speak to the International concourse but what you described above is definitely in place in the Transborder concourse. In addition there’s two Timmies, a Starbucks, a taco place and an Asian place, all take away. Frankly, that’s pitiful for one of the largest airports in the country.

Gordon
Feb 20, 2020, 9:03 PM
There is also the Canuck's bar & grill in the Trans border area

Ozabald
Feb 20, 2020, 10:23 PM
[QUOTE=SpongeG;8837057]Edmonton's airport food options are awful. YVR international is good, domestic is ok. We could use a McDonalds though.

---

YVR Domestic airside only has three full service sit down dining options at present: Monk's, Stanley Park Taproom and Vino Volo.

YEG domestic/int'l airside has seven full service sit-down dining options: Belgian Beer Cafe, Boston Pizza, Chili's, Delux Burger Bar, Edmonton Eskimos restaurant, Gretzky's and Heineken Lounge. For an airport with only 8 million passengers, YEG has done a decent job with its food & beverage options.

YVR's food & beverage refresh is long overdue and much needed.

Denscity
Feb 21, 2020, 12:36 AM
New options for YVR:

Hawksworth Kitchen
The Dirty Apron
Steamworks Bar and Restaurant
Whistler Brewing Lodge
Red Truck Beer Truck Stop
Heritage Asian Eatery
Left Coast Cafe & Bar
BUILT Custom Burgers
Wahlburgers
Pacific Farms Market
49th Parallel Coffee
Market Fresh
Live Fire Pizza

Johnny Aussie
Feb 21, 2020, 2:53 AM
New options for YVR:

Hawksworth Kitchen
The Dirty Apron
Steamworks Bar and Restaurant
Whistler Brewing Lodge
Red Truck Beer Truck Stop
Heritage Asian Eatery
Left Coast Cafe & Bar
BUILT Custom Burgers
Wahlburgers
Pacific Farms Market
49th Parallel Coffee
Market Fresh
Live Fire Pizza

Looks like YVR is upping its game then.

Have only had pleasant experiences in and out of YVR.

Wonder how many of those YEG establishments are profitable.

CareerShow
Feb 24, 2020, 6:09 AM
Anyone have air Canada's load factors for LHR, CDG, MEL, etc.? Looks like YVR is losing around two widebody aircraft for the upcoming summer season. Too bad to see cdg and lhr downgauged....looks like two flights is just too much for lhr

thenoflyzone
Feb 24, 2020, 5:05 PM
YVR revised it's 2019 numbers. Domestic and US numbers were correct, however intl was lowered, and therefore total number was lowered as well.

Original numbers:

Intl total: 13,713,885 +1.7%
Total: 26,395,197 +1.8%

New numbers:

Intl total: 13,698,558 +1.5%
Total: 26,379,870 +1.7%

Anyone have air Canada's load factors for LHR, CDG, MEL, etc.? Looks like YVR is losing around two widebody aircraft for the upcoming summer season. Too bad to see cdg and lhr downgauged....looks like two flights is just too much for lhr

Load factors, especially during peak seasons, are probably very strong (80% plus). That metric in and of itself is useless, however. Yields are what matters.

zahav
Feb 24, 2020, 11:14 PM
CDG was not downgauged, wasn't it operated by a 787-8 last year, and this year a 333?

Alexcaban
Feb 25, 2020, 4:44 AM
CDG was not downgauged, wasn't it operated by a 787-8 last year, and this year a 333?

But it's being reduced from 4 to 3 weekly.

Johnny Aussie
Feb 25, 2020, 6:18 AM
But it's being reduced from 4 to 3 weekly.

With the larger 333 on the route the loss in seats is only 165 per week.

FRA upgauging from a 789 to a 77W as well.

zahav
Feb 25, 2020, 7:51 AM
Ya and KIX was upgauged too, and was ZRH 5x weekly 787-9 last year? It is this year.

There's no doubt this year is/will be challenging, it is certainly not like 2016/2017 or anything. But the CDG service change is barely anything. The MEL change is more noteworthy, but even then it is understandable. The fact is, go back to this time in 2015 and our service was very different, lots has grown since then. Forgetting the virus outbreak changes just recently, the service level remains historically high

nname
Feb 25, 2020, 10:16 AM
The MEL change is more noteworthy, but even then it is understandable.

AC need the plane... In fact, that 789 went to YVR-HNL, OGG, and YYZ. There are frequency cut all over the places in AC's network in order to redeploy planes to fill in for the MAX.

casper
Feb 25, 2020, 4:55 PM
AC need the plane... In fact, that 789 went to YVR-HNL, OGG, and YYZ. There are frequency cut all over the places in AC's network in order to redeploy planes to fill in for the MAX.

I think that is assuming AC is flying back into China in the summer. My prediction is China travel will be dead and AC will have no shortage of 777/787 aircraft.

s211
Feb 25, 2020, 5:07 PM
I think that is assuming AC is flying back into China in the summer. My prediction is China travel will be dead and AC will have no shortage of 777/787 aircraft.

Perfect! Let's get some real metal for the Vancouver-Chicago run, instead of the CRJ cigar tubes they currently run with. :cheers:

nname
Feb 25, 2020, 5:10 PM
Taiwan just released the January airport statistics.

LF for YVR-TPE were 94% for AC, and 96% for BR and CI

LF for the TPE->YVR direction were 100% for AC, 99% for BR and 98% for CI

Now waiting for the Feb stats...

Alexcaban
Feb 25, 2020, 9:55 PM
With the larger 333 on the route the loss in seats is only 165 per week.

FRA upgauging from a 789 to a 77W as well.

There's also the LHR fiasco with a single 77WHD vs double daily 789/788 mix.

There is no doubt that AC will shift every single 777 to TATL routes and there are still many changes to be made to S20.

Glad to see Hawaii back, might even see some 787 action on LAX/SFO

nname
Feb 25, 2020, 10:31 PM
There's also the LHR fiasco with a single 77WHD vs double daily 789/788 mix.

They haven't remove the second daily from schedule yet. In fact, they would need to find some way to use that LHR slot, or they may lose it (could they claim this on the MAX in order to keep the slot, like YYT and YHZ?)

A few years ago, AC kept the slot by leasing out to China Southern. I doubt any Chinese carriers would be eager to lease the LHR slot this year....

Hourglass
Feb 26, 2020, 6:55 AM

With COVID-19 spreading well beyond Asia to Italy (and now Switzerland and Austria) and Iran, I think the travel industry is in for a really rough ride for the next few months.

teriyaki
Feb 26, 2020, 12:24 PM

Those are some astounding numbers. I was thinking if anything special was happening for the month of January and just remembered that the election in Taiwan was happening. Could attribute some of the traffic YVR-TPE and vice versa as people headed back for election and coinciding with CNY.

I'm actually looking for a one way flight back from Asia, and TPE is the cheapest option one way atm which is why I was surprised at the 100% load factor considering the "discount" they're pricing for in Feb at the moment.

whatnext
Feb 26, 2020, 7:24 PM
With COVID-19 spreading well beyond Asia to Italy (and now Switzerland and Austria) and Iran, I think the travel industry is in for a really rough ride for the next few months.

Already happening:

Airlines rattled by the coronavirus rushed to cut costs on Wednesday, as warnings of a pandemic deepened concern about the scale of the impact on aviation and other front-line sectors.

Austerity measures ordered by Germany’s Lufthansa and Amsterdam-based KLM include unpaid staff leave and hiring freezes, while Virgin Australia dropped seven planes from its fleet and said pilot redundancies were likely.

“We urge you all to reduce your cost levels to a minimum level to ensure safe operations,” KLM Chief Financial Officer Erik Swelheim wrote in a message to executives first reported by Dutch news agency ANP. “Only ‘must-do’ expenditure is allowed.”...

...Virgin Australia’s abrupt cuts were accompanied by warnings of a A$75 million ($49 million) earnings hit as the global health scare saps demand. Rival Qantas has grounded some 18 planes and halted recruitment.

Lufthansa will be turning away cabin crew trainees without jobs and “offering employees unpaid leave, effective immediately,” it said in a statement on Wednesday....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/international-business/article-airlines-slash-costs-as-coronavirus-crisis-deepens/

s211
Feb 26, 2020, 9:22 PM
Already happening:

Airlines rattled by the coronavirus rushed to cut costs on Wednesday, as warnings of a pandemic deepened concern about the scale of the impact on aviation and other front-line sectors.

Austerity measures ordered by Germany’s Lufthansa and Amsterdam-based KLM include unpaid staff leave and hiring freezes, while Virgin Australia dropped seven planes from its fleet and said pilot redundancies were likely.

“We urge you all to reduce your cost levels to a minimum level to ensure safe operations,” KLM Chief Financial Officer Erik Swelheim wrote in a message to executives first reported by Dutch news agency ANP. “Only ‘must-do’ expenditure is allowed.”...

...Virgin Australia’s abrupt cuts were accompanied by warnings of a A$75 million ($49 million) earnings hit as the global health scare saps demand. Rival Qantas has grounded some 18 planes and halted recruitment.

Lufthansa will be turning away cabin crew trainees without jobs and “offering employees unpaid leave, effective immediately,” it said in a statement on Wednesday....

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/international-business/article-airlines-slash-costs-as-coronavirus-crisis-deepens/

Yup. Welcome our new Black Swan event.

casper
Mar 2, 2020, 11:20 PM
Yup. Welcome our new Black Swan event.

It is going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

After 9/11 the industry contracted quite a bit. I was living in Saskatoon at the time. Prior to 9/11 the local regional flights were on regional jets Air Canada got from Canadian. Just after 9/11 we were on Dash-8/100 with a third the seats for a year or two. Airlines parked a lot of older less efficient aircraft. Much easier to get an upgrade. That is about the time they got rid of complimentary meals on most domestic flights.

For our two domestic airlines they are probably going to be less worried about getting the MAX flying again. I suspect both will accelerate the retirement of their 767.

For the airport it may provide a bit of breathing room to get caught up on all the new construction.

s211
Mar 3, 2020, 1:02 AM
It is going to be interesting to see how this pans out.

It's getting insane. A big houseware/gift show in Chicago just got cancelled.

"The International Housewares Association calls off a show that brings nearly 60,000 people who book more than 47,000 room nights at area hotels."

For Pete's sake: talk about living in fear.

nname
Mar 3, 2020, 1:22 AM

Well, Japan cancelled the entire Cherry Blossom season. And many sporting events across Asia are cancelled too...

If they cannot contain this virus soon enough, there's likely no Olympics this year too...

Johnny Aussie
Mar 3, 2020, 2:20 AM
And... a big gaming programming show in SFO “postponed” that’s 26,000 delegates. Plus a friend of mine living in Kyoto, her kids’ school closed for at least the next 4 weeks.

One of our big events here, the Australian Grand Prix, was just confirmed on Friday that it is going ahead as planned. Great because I’m going!

nname
Mar 3, 2020, 7:58 AM
AC continues to reduce Asia service through S20.

Now until end of August...

YVR-KIX down to 5x weekly 788
YVR-ICN down to daily 788

YVR-BNE up to daily 789 though.

AC still haven't remove the 2x daily LHR from schedule...

US mainline service:

YVR-ANC reduced from 2x daily 319+7M8 to 1x daily 321
YVR-EWR up from 2x daily 788+319 to 2x daily 789+319

New route YVR-SNA... year-round starting June 15
AC576 YVR 0900 - 1159 SNA 319 D
AC577 SNA 1240 - 1527 YVR 319 D

Not sure if this will reduce LAX... 1x daily YVR-LAX is still scheduled with 7M8, one of the few still left in S20 schedule.

Others:

YVR-YYZ 4x daily Mainline 321+321+763 replaced by 3x daily Rouge 763
YVR-LAX reduce from 2x daily to 1x daily (same as last year)

Some preview for W20 schedule..

YVR-PEK, PVG, HKG continues to be 789
YVR-ICN back to 789
YVR-BNE continues to be 789
YVR-MEL resumes 4x weekly 789
YVR-AKL up to 4x weekly 789

Johnny Aussie
Mar 3, 2020, 8:48 AM
With reference to the new route on AC to SNA.

This makes 20 daily flights YVR-California on AC this summer.

nname
Mar 3, 2020, 9:01 AM
With reference to the new route on AC to SNA.

This makes 20 daily flights YVR-California on AC this summer.

That's a surprised though... I thought there's no slot for SNA....?

nname
Mar 3, 2020, 5:15 PM
Press release for the new SNA flight:

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2020-03-03-Air-Canada-to-Launch-Daily-Year-Round-Flights-from-Vancouver-to-Orange-County-Santa-Ana-California

casper
Mar 3, 2020, 8:48 PM

"The International Housewares Association calls off a show that brings nearly 60,000 people who book more than 47,000 room nights at area hotels."

For Pete's sake: talk about living in fear.

I was all booked to attending MWC Barcelona a few weeks ago. That event typically gets around 80,000 to 100,000 attendees.

Facebook pulled there participation, then Samsung, then a few more. The organizers basically canceled the entire event.

SpongeG
Mar 4, 2020, 1:33 AM
3 new cases in BC today, all linked to Iran. Brings BC up to 12. Iran and Egypt are being hit hard. The USA has warned its citizens to avoid going to Italy. I think it's going to keep getting worse. Some have contracted it from surfaces.

Johnny Aussie
Mar 4, 2020, 7:17 AM
QF will continue its SYD-YVR next winter. With the retirement of the 744 fleet the route will once again fly during the Northern Winter. Frequency stays at 3 weekly but will be operated by Qantas's 789s instead. In addition the period will be extended from 12 December through 27 Feb 2021. The route will continue to operate this summer as well 3 weekly on the 744 for the peak summer.

thenoflyzone
Mar 4, 2020, 1:51 PM
Case to be made for YQB service. Decent GRU demand as well.

https://www.anna.aero/2020/03/02/air-canadas-top-20-connecting-markets-ottawa-victoria-1/

Hourglass
Mar 4, 2020, 3:26 PM
3 new cases in BC today, all linked to Iran. Brings BC up to 12. Iran and Egypt are being hit hard. The USA has warned its citizens to avoid going to Italy. I think it's going to keep getting worse. Some have contracted it from surfaces.

I think the peak for the virus in the US and Europe is still a long way off. This is going to have a huge impact on air travel globally. Cathay Pacific has cancelled 75% of their flights in March. Lufthansa just announced they are grounding 150 planes. I wonder when Air Canada will start cutting capacity.

nname
Mar 4, 2020, 5:26 PM

https://www.anna.aero/2020/03/02/air-canadas-top-20-connecting-markets-ottawa-victoria-1/

But I'm sure AC would start YYZ-YZF first :(

YVR Bruce
Mar 5, 2020, 2:43 AM
But I'm sure AC would start YYZ-YZF first :(

I'm surprised YVR-YHZ wasn't on the list; I've just bought my 4th trip tickets (rolling 9 month period).

Klazu
Mar 5, 2020, 3:16 AM

All Iranese dual-citizens are trying to get out of the country as estimates are that infections are counted in tens of thousands and deaths in at least hundreds. Even 25 of the members of the parliament are infected and several have died!

Yeah, airline and travel industry are definitely in for a catastrophic year. I have been holding off from booking flights this year to hold off and see how situation evolves.

dharper
Mar 5, 2020, 5:32 AM
Citytv News clip about how Covid 19 is affecting YVR

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2020/03/04/coronavirus-impacts-air-travel-industry/

trofirhen
Mar 5, 2020, 6:30 AM

Assuming that the Covid 19 virus scare will diminish in time and ultimately allow air travel to return to "normal," then yes, YQB from Vancouver would, of course, be good.
A flight to GRU would be a major breakthrough for YVR, and, unless SEA gets to it first, this would be a major step up for YVR.
Several years back, Johnny Aussie posted about how he was reading flight stastics, and found surprisingly high O&D traffic between Vancouver and Brazil.
How great it would be if that traffic supported a YVR-GRU flight. That would make YVR a 5-continent airport, again.

Klazu
Mar 6, 2020, 2:43 AM
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/3073843/cathay-pacific-close-vancouver-base-june-putting

thenoflyzone
Mar 6, 2020, 3:35 AM
I'm surprised YVR-YHZ wasn't on the list; I've just bought my 4th trip tickets (rolling 9 month period).

One word. WestJet.

WestJet has a big chunk of the pie when it comes to YVR-YHZ. As opposed to very little chunk when it comes to YVR-YQB.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hong-kong-economy/article/3073843/cathay-pacific-close-vancouver-base-june-putting

With the end of CX on YVR-JFK, it was only a matter of time before this happened.

whatnext
Mar 6, 2020, 6:44 AM
Cathay closing their Vancouver crew base. Not surprising given the dropping of the YVR-JFK Leg.

zahav
Mar 7, 2020, 4:18 AM
Unfortunate news about CX closing the base but it was inevitable, they have been hit by so many factors cutting back their growth worldwide. They closed their YYZ base last year too, and (like others mentioned), the JFK cut made the base redundant.

Everything is cyclical, the industry is in flux right now coming off years of pretty consistent expansion so a slowdown was in sight. But this is way worse than anyone would've thought, due to the virus and other factors

whatnext
Mar 10, 2020, 11:43 PM
QF will continue its SYD-YVR next winter. With the retirement of the 744 fleet the route will once again fly during the Northern Winter. Frequency stays at 3 weekly but will be operated by Qantas's 789s instead. In addition the period will be extended from 12 December through 27 Feb 2021. The route will continue to operate this summer as well 3 weekly on the 744 for the peak summer.

Sounds like the QF SYD-YVR has been cancelled for the summer, so we won't see the 744 again. :(

...On other North American routes, Qantas will delay the beginning of new Chicago-Brisbane flights from April 15 until mid-September. The A380s currently flying from Sydney to Dallas/Ft. Worth and from Melbourne to Los Angeles will be replaced by 787s on April 20 and June 1 respectively. And Qantas will suspend its seasonal Sydney-Vancouver service during June and July. The airline’s 787s have 250 fewer seats than its A380s....

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/International-passenger-SFO-coronavirus-15118277.php#item-85307-tbla-5

VancouverOfTheFuture
Mar 11, 2020, 1:45 AM
i don't think it effect YVR, but Air Canada has suspended all flights to Italy for the time being.

on another note, i went to the expansion at the outlet mall, it looks nice. its quite a nice mall. good job YVR :tup:

CareerShow
Mar 11, 2020, 6:27 AM
United is suspending Houston in April as well....

zahav
Mar 11, 2020, 6:38 AM
Surprised no one has posted the January stats? They are up on the website, too lazy now to post everything but wanted to announce that they were posted, in case people don't check their page regularly :) All in all, very flat results as expected, I actually thought it would be worse. Europe and Misc. up pretty decently, but Asia-Pac and transborder down, so international was flat. Domestic flat too, down slightly. I am dreading Feb and March :(

Johnny Aussie
Mar 11, 2020, 7:41 AM
Nothing to “dread.”

It’s going to be bad.. that’s the reality. Out of anyone’s control.

Onwards and upwards... the world will recover and life will go on...

JAN 2020 STATS

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2020/01-january/traffic-update.pdf

Domestic down 0.5%
Intl down 0.04%
Overall down 0.3%

connect2source
Mar 11, 2020, 12:59 PM
Nothing to “dread.”

It’s going to be bad.. that’s the reality. Out of anyone’s control.

Onwards and upwards... the world will recover and life will go on...

JAN 2020 STATS

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2020/01-january/traffic-update.pdf

Domestic down 0.5%
Intl down 0.04%
Overall down 0.3%

I suspect February and March will be far worse. YVR is not alone, however, every major airport in the world will be down. Surprised by the 7.6% bump in European numbers tho!

thenoflyzone
Mar 11, 2020, 6:37 PM
January was YVR's only real chance at positive overall results in a month this year. A teaser of things to come. Brace yourselves....

whatnext
Mar 11, 2020, 7:17 PM
India has suspended most travel visas, (https://scroll.in/latest/955763/coronavirus-xi-jinping-makes-first-visit-to-wuhan-14-new-positive-cases-come-up-in-india) so there go the DEL flights.

zahav
Mar 12, 2020, 5:11 AM
Delete

Johnny Aussie
Mar 12, 2020, 9:28 AM
So trans Pacific hit hard but now it looks like a massive hit for trans Atlantic.
So any airport with large trans Atlantic operations set to take a huge hit too.

casper
Mar 12, 2020, 8:25 PM
So trans Pacific hit hard but now it looks like a massive hit for trans Atlantic.
So any airport with large trans Atlantic operations set to take a huge hit too.

Had a look at some of the European airlines press release and most are keeping the Canadian flying and canceling US flights. That may force more connections through Canada. Hard to tell how the dust will settle.

s211
Mar 12, 2020, 8:32 PM
Had a look at some of the European airlines press release and most are keeping the Canadian flying and canceling US flights. That may force more connections through Canada. Hard to tell how the dust will settle.

That loophole wouldn't last long, I'd hazard.

thenoflyzone
Mar 12, 2020, 10:55 PM
There is no loophole. Good luck passing US CBP at YVR (or the border) with a French or German passport. You will need to prove you’ve been in Canada for 14 days, or else no entry.

Most European carriers are still flying here because of Canadian O&D. Not because there is a US connection goldmine all of a sudden.

Btw, the DHS memo doesn’t say European airlines can’t fly to the US. It simply says that foreign nationals who have been in EU countries will be refused entry.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

whatnext
Mar 12, 2020, 11:47 PM
This might benefit Canadian freight forwarders, as any thing going Europe-USA by air would now have to go through Canada.

teriyaki
Mar 13, 2020, 12:29 AM
This might benefit Canadian freight forwarders, as any thing going Europe-USA by air would now have to go through Canada.

Is freight included in the ban? I thought cargo was not supposed to be part of the measures