PDA

View Full Version : YVR Airport & Sea Island Developments Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 [146] 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156

trofirhen
Jul 26, 2019, 9:29 PM
The term hub gets misused a lot. ........
I think the term focus city is used by American carriers mainly. Not sure if any Canadian carrier has used that term.

But Westjet at YVR meets the criteria more of a focus city than a hub. I agree too much rather have an AC hub than WS. YVR is too small to have two carriers hubbed there.
Westjet used to label YVR as a "focus city" on maps, so I guess it still is one. And yes, of course, in Canada only YYZ is big enough be a real 'HUB' for the two major national airlines.

zahav
Jul 29, 2019, 7:03 AM
I am not sure why everyone is doubting YVR being a hub for WS? It's not claiming to be the ATL for DL or DFW for AA, but that doesn't mean it still isn't a hub. Do people use it to connect to other destinations? Yes (a lot actually, I have friends who work for WS at YVR and there is a lot of connecting traffic). Does it have partnerships/codeshares on lots of other carriers? Yes, probably moreso than at YYC (due the large amount of codesharing it does with Asian airlines). Does it have a high level of mainline service vs. Encore? Yes, especially comparied to smaller centres. It also has a very developed transborder network, and this is used by inbound connections on WS and its partner airlines.

It definitely isn't colossal in size, but wondering why everyone is doubting it for no reason, despite the airline saying it? Who cares what the exact definition is (there isn't even one!), the fact that the airline itself considers it that way is the only thing that counts, and means a lot since they explicity said they want to focus on these "hubs" (using quotes since obviously people don't believe that word here)

Johnny Aussie
Jul 29, 2019, 8:42 AM
I am not sure why everyone is doubting YVR being a hub for WS? It's not claiming to be the ATL for DL or DFW for AA, but that doesn't mean it still isn't a hub. Do people use it to connect to other destinations? Yes (a lot actually, I have friends who work for WS at YVR and there is a lot of connecting traffic). Does it have partnerships/codeshares on lots of other carriers? Yes, probably moreso than at YYC (due the large amount of codesharing it does with Asian airlines). Does it have a high level of mainline service vs. Encore? Yes, especially comparied to smaller centres. It also has a very developed transborder network, and this is used by inbound connections on WS and its partner airlines.

It definitely isn't colossal in size, but wondering why everyone is doubting it for no reason, despite the airline saying it? Who cares what the exact definition is (there isn't even one!), the fact that the airline itself considers it that way is the only thing that counts, and means a lot since they explicity said they want to focus on these "hubs" (using quotes since obviously people don't believe that word here)

Flair calls YEG its hub... Swoop calls YEG and YHM its hubs.

Are they hubs because the airlines call them hubs?

Hub is a misused term in Canada.

SFUVancouver
Jul 29, 2019, 4:25 PM
I flew through Vancouver this weekend on the way to the Island and was fortunate to have: (a) a window seat; (b) good weather; (c) a window that wasn't too scratched up; and (d) the wherewithal to have my phone handy to take some photos on final approach. Without further adieu:

https://i.imgur.com/8cGeIMC.jpg?1
Source: me
Date: 2019-07-27

https://i.imgur.com/eq0TQFy.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/0NEuYGA.jpg?1

I got a different perspective on the expansion on my return flight.

https://i.imgur.com/Vp5AbVQ.jpg?1
Date: 2019-07-28

Denscity
Jul 29, 2019, 4:40 PM
Looking good SFU thanks for those!
Is all of the second pic building new or just the right half

SFUVancouver
Jul 29, 2019, 4:53 PM
Looking good SFU thanks for those!
Is all of the second pic building new or just the right half

Thanks. The right half, from the circular structure onward is all brand new, along with the connecting element with green insulation still visible at the top, just below the parapet. This link will help the new construction graft seamlessly with the existing international terminal armature once complete.

Denscity
Jul 29, 2019, 5:08 PM
Thanks. The right half, from the circular structure onward is all brand new, along with the connecting element with green insulation still visible at the top, just below the parapet. This link will help the new construction graft seamlessly with the existing international terminal armature once complete.

Oh ok thank you. So is the circular building the original link building or a new one? And this is an expansion of the international D section? Sorry for the dumb questions im a big fan of YVR but dont get out there enough to know everything.

SFUVancouver
Jul 29, 2019, 5:13 PM
Oh ok thank you. So is the circular building the original link building or a new one? And this is an expansion of the international D section? Sorry for the dumb questions im a big fan of YVR but dont get out there enough to know everything.

Those aren't dumb questions at all; we're talking about the largest physical building in the province!

The circular building is new with this terminal expansion project. The Link building is further back as part of the core terminal structure. Yes, this building is an expansion of the international terminal (E D gates).

Denscity
Jul 29, 2019, 5:31 PM
Ha thanks for your understanding. Seeing this new expansion makes me want to buy an overseas ticket or at least get a job post security in one of the new shops or restaurants so i can check it all out!

nname
Jul 29, 2019, 7:34 PM
Those aren't dumb questions at all; we're talking about the largest physical building in the province!

The circular building is new with this terminal expansion project. The Link building is further back as part of the core terminal structure. Yes, this building is an expansion of the international terminal (E gates).

I think you meant D gates? E gates are on the other side that's not visible in your photo.

The circular is where the "tree" (or whatever it's called) will be located.

Anyways, thanks for the photo!

======================================

In route news... Hong Kong Airlines will reduce YVR-HKG from daily down to 5x weekly in S20:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285613/hong-kong-airlines-s20-vancouver-frequency-changes/

I actually consider this is a good news because they completely pulled out of SFO by the end of this summer season... So they seems to be still committed to the YVR market despite their current downfall.

Also, seems like Interjet closed reservation for YVR-CUN after Oct 25 (every flight marked as "sold out"). This I also find interesting for closing just before the start of the peak season as the flight are usually quite full judging by my past observation on availability. YVR-MEX remains open and no change in flight time, which means the plane will stay in YVR from 04:30 to 21:30...

======================================

AC seems to change their flight schedule system so I don't know when they will be updated anymore. Before the schedule was only available up to 366 days from the time of update, now it is available till the end of S20 (Oct 24, 2020). Also, flights operating by Rouge and Express no longer returns operating days information, and I don't really think I should send query 7 times to see the op days for each flight (500 Rouge + 1800 Express = 2300 flights * 7 = 16100 queries!!)

Johnny Aussie
Jul 29, 2019, 11:30 PM
In route news... Hong Kong Airlines will reduce YVR-HKG from daily down to 5x weekly in S20:

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285613/hong-kong-airlines-s20-vancouver-frequency-changes/

I actually consider this is a good news because they completely pulled out of SFO by the end of this summer season... So they seems to be still committed to the YVR market despite their current downfall.

Also, seems like Interjet closed reservation for YVR-CUN after Oct 25 (every flight marked as "sold out"). This I also find interesting for closing just before the start of the peak season as the flight are usually quite full judging by my past observation on availability. YVR-MEX remains open and no change in flight time, which means the plane will stay in YVR from 04:30 to 21:30...

These are two financially troubled airlines. TBH I don’t expect HK airlines to be around at all much longer so will see if there will be any frequencies at all by next summer.

Interjet also a disaster. Not surprised.

SpongeG
Jul 30, 2019, 3:18 AM
Authentic Italian Coffee Bar Experience Arrives at YVR with illy Caffè

July 25, 2019 · The YVR Blog team

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/blog/2019/illy-caffe.jpeg?h=450&w=600&la=en&hash=4C97BBA62947DF5C8F54325BF2AE40F12A04FF06

illy Caffè is officially open for YVR passengers travelling out of the International terminal. Located near gate D65, this family owned coffee chain is known as a global leader in sustainable high-quality coffee, producing the unique illy 100% Arabica blend made out of nine of the world’s best selections of Arabica.

Around the world, more than seven million cups of illy coffee are served every day in over 140 countries in the finest cafés, restaurants, hotels and in offices and homes. Coffee is purchased directly from farmers and prepared by expertly-trained baristas. illy baristas are trained by the company’s renowned University of Coffee faculty. The training spans expert coffee preparation, from traditional espresso, latte and cappuccino, to brewed coffee and original specialty drinks.

http://www.yvr.ca/en/blog/2019/illy-caffe-opening?fbclid=IwAR0PVH4AM9vIQm4MUXimL2AO_LxKHd6kUh82uSl4UDWulMnY21U6iDOSgSY

trofirhen
Jul 31, 2019, 5:01 PM
It's really exciting to see YVR growing into a major airport like this. Now all it needs are a few new major, key, destinations.
This is not intended as trolling, but I'd like to add my wish list for 11 (or so) more year-round destinations.
They would be, starting with transborder: Miami, Austin TX, maybe Philadelphia. /// Guadalajara, Panama City, Lima, Santiago, and São Paulo /// Asia Pacific: Singapore and Osaka
(if Osaka has enough yield, if not, Bangkok) //... & Istanbul. ... excuse me, but that new Pier D conjures up images of more foreign tails and destinations.
I want to see YVR become a 5-continent airport. :rolleyes:

nname
Aug 1, 2019, 5:28 AM
I want to see YVR become a 5-continent airport. :rolleyes:

YVR is at a very bad location for a direct flight to Africa, so 4-continent is probably the most it will ever get.

I mean, even LAX doesn't have a direct non-stop to Africa yet...

=============================

AC had updated YVR-Hawaii for W19 season:

YVR-HNL - 4x weekly becoming daily mainline 763, effective late Oct to Apr 30, 2020
YVR-OGG - 3x weekly becoming daily mainline 763, effective late Oct to Apr 30, 2020
YVR-KOA - 4x weekly still scheduled with 7M8
YVR-LIH - Route suspended for the entire winter season

I guess AC had gave up on the 7M8 and remove them from schedule for 6 months in one go?

HU opens reservation for YVR-SZX through summer 2020, with flights move to late night arrival/departure from YVR starting Mar 31, 2020.

WestCoastEcho
Aug 1, 2019, 7:08 AM
YVR is at a very bad location for a direct flight to Africa, so 4-continent is probably the most it will ever get.

YVR-HNL - 4x weekly becoming daily mainline 763, effective late Oct to Apr 30, 2020
YVR-OGG - 3x weekly becoming daily mainline 763, effective late Oct to Apr 30, 2020

I guess AC had gave up on the 7M8 and remove them from schedule for 6 months in one go?

HU opens reservation for YVR-SZX through summer 2020, with flights move to late night arrival/departure from YVR starting Mar 31, 2020.

I'm hearing AC is not expecting the 737 MAX to be back in service till next year. Considering that more issues are being flagged with the aircraft, and Boeing hasn't submitted its fixes to regulators for review, I suspect it will be well into the summer of 2020 before we start to see the 737 MAX back in the air.

trofirhen
Aug 1, 2019, 12:40 PM

YVR is already a 4-continent airport if you include Australia. If it got flights to South America, it would be a 5-continent airport.

Hourglass
Aug 1, 2019, 3:17 PM
Impressive Q2 results at Air Canada: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/air-canada-reports-second-quarter-2019-results-830808883.html

Even more impressive when you consider the impact of the MAX groundings.

moosejaw
Aug 1, 2019, 6:32 PM

Africa is ginormous. I just got back from Capetown and the flight through Kenya to JFK took over 21 hrs! I cant believe how huge Africa is.

canlynx
Aug 1, 2019, 7:43 PM
YVR is already a 4-continent airport if you include Australia. If it got flights to South America, it would be a 5-continent airport.

When people refer to 5-continent airports they’re referring to the continent they’re on plus 5 more. Vancouver is a 3 continent airport and could become 4 but is unlikely to be a 5-continent airport anytime soon.

thenoflyzone
Aug 1, 2019, 9:08 PM
When people refer to 5-continent airports they’re referring to the continent they’re on plus 5 more. Vancouver is a 3 continent airport and could become 4 but is unlikely to be a 5-continent airport anytime soon.

No. If that were the case there would be no 6-continent airports, which there are.

YVR has direct service to 4 continents. That includes North America. Kind of stupid to not count the continent in which YVR has the most non stop flights.

thenoflyzone
Aug 2, 2019, 1:30 AM

Actually, LAX had non stop service to Africa from December 2018 until very recently, when Ethiopian canceled their LAX service.

Briefly, they were a 6 continent airport.

https://onemileatatime.com/lax-nonstop-flight-africa/

thenoflyzone
Aug 5, 2019, 6:09 PM
What’s with the radio silence the last few days?

Anyways....CA is rumoured to want to launch BOG. A non stop is impossible.

Dare I say PEK-YVR-BOG maybe?

A long shot, but considering this is CA and they fly weird fifth freedom routes such as YUL-HAV and IAH-PTY, it could very well happen.

Incidentally, IAH or YUL could also get it, if the stop will be in North America that is.

trofirhen
Aug 5, 2019, 9:02 PM

A long shot, but considering this is CA and they fly weird fifth freedom routes such as YUL-HAV and IAH-PTY, it could very well happen.

Incidentally, IAH or YUL could also get it, if the stop will be in North America that is.
What is the attraction of Bogotà, I wonder? Are there not more economically important cities in South America?
Also, I would have though that the relatively thin atmosphere due to the high altitude at Bogotà would make takeoff and landing a bit more difficult... oh well, if that's what they want...

Hourglass
Aug 6, 2019, 2:32 AM
What is the attraction of Bogotà, I wonder? Are there not more economically important cities in South America?
Also, I would have though that the relatively thin atmosphere due to the high altitude at Bogotà would make takeoff and landing a bit more difficult... oh well, if that's what they want...

China is Colombia's second-largest trading partner after the US. Colombia is China's 5th largest trading partner in Latin America. So there's both an economic and geopolitical rationale for the flight. Highly doubt it would ever be profitable for CA, but that's not the primary consideration.

YVR or YUL would actually be logical stopover points. CA won't fly via any US gateway given the current tensions. Other option is via Europe but no idea about what the China-EU air agreements allow.

trofirhen
Aug 6, 2019, 3:51 AM
China is Colombia's second-largest trading partner after the US. Colombia is China's 5th largest trading partner in Latin America. So there's both an economic and geopolitical rationale for the flight. Highly doubt it would ever be profitable for CA, but that's not the primary consideration.

YVR or YUL would actually be logical stopover points. CA won't fly via any US gateway given the current tensions. Other option is via Europe but no idea about what the China-EU air agreements allow.
Whew!! A new day, something new to learn!! But what are the traded commodities, I can't help wondering? .....
Anyway, this would be a big and significant addition if it were to go through YVR, as a breakthrough destination to South America, if LIMA fails.

jollyburger
Aug 6, 2019, 2:44 PM

Colombian president was in China on a trip so that rumour might just be pie in the sky BS (the Colombian side called it a direct flight from Shanghai) :rolleyes:

thenoflyzone
Aug 6, 2019, 9:41 PM
Colombian president was in China on a trip so that rumour might just be pie in the sky BS (the Colombian side called it a direct flight from Shanghai) :rolleyes:

PEK or PVG. Service is supposed to start in 2020.

https://blueswandaily.com/air-china-to-launch-service-to-bogota-in-2020-report/

nname
Aug 6, 2019, 11:40 PM
PEK or PVG. Service is supposed to start in 2020.

https://blueswandaily.com/air-china-to-launch-service-to-bogota-in-2020-report/

I haven't seen anything on the Chinese side... Usually when new service starts, rumors begin circulating maybe a couple of years before the actual announcement. This included XMN-YVR, SZX-YVR, CAN-YVR-MEX, and CGO-YVR (the latter one I disregarded completely at that time, as I thought it was a long long long shot).

The current rumors are WUH-YYZ, WUH-YVR, XIY-???-YVR.... if bilateral allows extra frequency.

trofirhen
Aug 7, 2019, 3:25 PM
Just looking at the posts above, it underscores the well-known fact that YVR is a major hub for East Asia destinations.
Craig Richmond said, several times at several VBoT meetings and elsewhere, that he envisioned YVR as a major connecting hub between Asia and Latin America.
The flights to Asia are undeniably there, but the second half of the equation - and the one that would catapult YVR into an different league is not, and that's the Latin America flights.
It seemed a fantastic, feasible, and grand idea, but so far, there really hasn't been any progress made any further than Mexico City with China Southern.
I certainly hope that at least in part, Mr. Richmonds expectations in the domain of connecting hub will be made manifest, but it seems unlikely at the moment. Could this change?

thenoflyzone
Aug 7, 2019, 7:01 PM

CA won't fly via any US gateway given the current tensions.

Not so sure about that. It’s not like the tension between Canada and China is much lower. IAH, IAD, EWR are all plausible stopovers points also. IAD is the closest stopover point to the great circle route between PEK and BOG.

Not to mention, CA is canceling PEK-HNL, which means they can open up a new US destination next summer. ATL and MCO are the largest unserved markets from PEK to North America. A continuation from those two to BOG could also be in the works.

Fun fact: third largest unserved market from PEK to North America is YOW.

Johnny Aussie
Aug 7, 2019, 9:11 PM
I haven't seen anything on the Chinese side... Usually when new service starts, rumors begin circulating maybe a couple of years before the actual announcement. This included XMN-YVR, SZX-YVR, CAN-YVR-MEX, and CGO-YVR (the latter one I disregarded completely at that time, as I thought it was a long long long shot).

The current rumors are WUH-YYZ, WUH-YVR, XIY-???-YVR.... if bilateral allows extra frequency.

There may be some frequencies opening up soon.

I think XIY has been on the cards for quite awhile.

LH to MUC going to be commencing a month earlier next year as well.

nname
Aug 8, 2019, 1:08 AM
AC is currently updating secondary Mexico and Hawaii service through the peak holiday season till Jan 8.

All the Hawaii routes updated so far had been switched to mainline 767, all Mexico routes switch to a mix of 319 and 320. Some routes with delayed start for seasonal service.

[EDIT] Updated for KOA and CUN

For YVR service:

HNL - daily 767
OGG - daily 767
KOA - 2x weekly Rouge 767, move to morning flight
LIH - suspended

CUN - 3x weekly Rouge 767
SJD - up to 6x weekly 319/320, with delayed/slower ramp up
PVR - up to daily 319/320, with delayed/slower ramp up
ZIH - up to 3x weekly 319/320, with delayed/slower ramp up

Note that for the ZIH case, the frequency will start with as low as every other weeks at the beginning of the season :cool:

The Rouge will operate out of YYZ, 5x weekly early morning to YVR and red-eye back to YYZ.

SpongeG
Aug 8, 2019, 1:23 AM
Hong Kong protests cancel over 100 flights
CNN's Kristie Lu Stout reports from the scene of one of the protests at the Hong Kong airport where Cathay Pacific was forced to cancel more that 100 flights.

video report: https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2019/08/05/hong-kong-airport-protest-airline-flights-canceled-lu-stout-sot.cnn

Cathay Pacific Warns of Effects of Hong Kong Protests
by Jennifer Meszaros - August 7, 2019

Hong Kong came to a virtual standstill on Monday as widespread demonstrations swept across the city, forcing Cathay to cancel more than 150 flights. The airline, which serves nearly 200 cities around the globe, also urged customers not to fly on Tuesday. According to the Hong Kong Confederation of Trade Unions, more than 2,300 aviation employees joined Monday’s general citywide strike, including 1,200 Cathay Pacific cabin crew and pilots.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/air-transport/2019-08-07/cathay-pacific-warns-effects-hong-kong-protests

Transport
Fall in ticket sales for coming months overshadows Cathay Pacific’s return to profits as Hong Kong protests begin to have effect on business
Medium-term bookings down but airline’s chairman John Slosar confident performance can continue to improve for rest of year
Drop in sales mainly from economy class travellers but is still putting pressure on ticket prices

Danny Lee

Published: 12:37pm, 7 Aug, 2019

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3021752/cathay-pacific-announces-profits-hk135-billion-first-six

stiffdeadman
Aug 8, 2019, 3:42 AM
lufthansa starting munich to seattle service jun 1, 2020. 6 times a week (ex thursday) using brand new A350-900. so another european destination that yvr has checked off the list of commonality.

TheGreatestX
Aug 12, 2019, 3:43 PM
WestJet Link starting Vancouver to Cranbrook on October 27.

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-08-12-WestJet-Link-giving-Cranbrook-another-hub-option

Johnny Aussie
Aug 12, 2019, 9:22 PM
The Saab is a perfect sized aircraft for some of the interior routes. Next up YKA and YYF probably.

Denscity
Aug 12, 2019, 9:27 PM
The Saab is a perfect sized aircraft for some of the interior routes. Next up YKA and YYF probably.

I wonder if YCG will see Westjet Link ever? And will it continue to be the only airport in BC that has the Dash-8 300s instead of the Q400 like everyone else got switched over to?

casper
Aug 12, 2019, 10:24 PM
WestJet Link starting Vancouver to Cranbrook on October 27.

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-08-12-WestJet-Link-giving-Cranbrook-another-hub-option

The Link aircraft appears to be in a WestJet paint job. The aircraft has a total utilization of about 4 hours. I wonder if its is doing something in the morning or potentially overprinting somewhere.

Rogie
Aug 13, 2019, 12:30 AM

I'd bet that you're right.

Link is a Pacific Coastal capacity purchase agreement, with a WS livery.

Pacific Coastal will continue to operate its own aircraft out of the South Terminal on the same route (twice each weekday), so in a sense, it will be competing with itself.

TheGreatestX
Aug 13, 2019, 1:58 AM
The Link aircraft appears to be in a WestJet paint job. The aircraft has a total utilization of about 4 hours. I wonder if its is doing something in the morning or potentially overprinting somewhere.

It's operating as YYC-YXC-YVR-YXC-YYC, the times on the press release are backwards.

lubicon
Aug 13, 2019, 4:03 PM

You mean from YVR right? Both cities already served by Encore via YYC.

Hot Rod
Aug 13, 2019, 10:43 PM
Actually, LAX had non stop service to Africa from December 2018 until very recently, when Ethiopian canceled their LAX service.

Briefly, they were a 6 continent airport.

https://onemileatatime.com/lax-nonstop-flight-africa/

Flight was direct via Dublin, not non-stop from LA.

TheGreatestX
Aug 13, 2019, 11:16 PM
Flight was direct via Dublin, not non-stop from LA.

Read the article more carefully.

trofirhen
Aug 14, 2019, 2:44 AM
Regarding all this, please permit me ... if Vancouver got TK to Istanbul, and same-plane service to Addis Abbaba, we'd be laughing! but of course the YVR market is nowhere large enough.

Coldrsx
Aug 14, 2019, 2:49 AM
Favourite story...'oops, we didn't think of climate change'.

nname
Aug 15, 2019, 5:39 AM
AC is currently updating secondary Mexico and Hawaii service through the peak holiday season till Jan 8.

All the Hawaii routes updated so far had been switched to mainline 767, all Mexico routes switch to a mix of 319 and 320. Some routes with delayed start for seasonal service.

[EDIT] Updated for KOA and CUN

For YVR service:

HNL - daily 767
OGG - daily 767
KOA - 2x weekly Rouge 767, move to morning flight
LIH - suspended

SJD - up to 6x weekly 319/320, with delayed/slower ramp up
PVR - up to daily 319/320, with delayed/slower ramp up
ZIH - up to 3x weekly 319/320, with delayed/slower ramp up

Note that for the ZIH case, the frequency will start with as low as every other weeks at the beginning of the season :cool:

The Rouge will operate out of YYZ, 5x weekly early morning to YVR and red-eye back to YYZ.

Seems like AC updated the entire winter schedule. For YVR MAX services from Jan 9 till the end of winter season in April:

Hawaii: Same as above

PVR - 4x weekly 320
SJD - 3x weekly 320
ZIH - 2x weekly 320

Basically removal of a 319 plane from the Christmas schedule.

====================

S20 changes so far:

ZRH - Upgauge from 788 to 789

osirisboy
Aug 15, 2019, 5:48 AM
Sorry, does s20 mean spring or summer?

stiffdeadman
Aug 15, 2019, 7:29 AM
no surprise that air canada is deploying it's first couple of A220's back east. toronto to san jose and montreal to seattle. so we won't see it in yvr for awhile. i'd be tempted to try out the flight out of seattle but unfortunately in typical air canada fashion it's damn expensive. close to $800 roundtrip in economy. not exactly a welcoming introductory fare.

nname
Aug 15, 2019, 8:03 AM
Sorry, does s20 mean spring or summer?

Summer 2020

no surprise that air canada is deploying it's first couple of A220's back east. toronto to san jose and montreal to seattle. so we won't see it in yvr for awhile. i'd be tempted to try out the flight out of seattle but unfortunately in typical air canada fashion it's damn expensive. close to $800 roundtrip in economy. not exactly a welcoming introductory fare.

The A220 should be first deployed to existing domestic routes as early as Jan 2020. These are the first two *new* routes to be operated by A220. I think by May, AC should already have more than 2 A220s?

connect2source
Aug 15, 2019, 1:56 PM
Link to dedicated Air Canada A220 webpage, interior photos, details on launch routes and product.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet/a220.html

Extensive discussion going on on Airliners.net right now about launch, routes, product.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1429215

nname
Aug 19, 2019, 9:39 PM
Air Canada just posted the route changes until January due to MAX grounding:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2019/737-airspace-closure.html

Most of the changes had been posted earlier in this thread. Noticed that the "Reduced from" number was from the increase original planned for this winter, instead of the frequency of last winter. However, this increase was never officially announced...

Oh, and they missed SJD

LeftCoaster
Aug 20, 2019, 1:12 AM
Link to dedicated Air Canada A220 webpage, interior photos, details on launch routes and product.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet/a220.html

Extensive discussion going on on Airliners.net right now about launch, routes, product.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1429215

Surprising YVR isn't even getting a sniff of the A220 in its opening, not even on domestic routes.

I wonder how long AC will wait to open an A220 pilot base here, or if it is even still in the plans.

nname
Aug 20, 2019, 3:08 AM
I wonder how long AC will wait to open an A220 pilot base here, or if it is even still in the plans.

After AC got more planes. It wouldn't make sense for them to have only 5 A220s and operate them out of 3 or 4 bases?

Notice that the majority of A220 runs out of YUL (for the obvious reason). Even YYZ only got 1 plane for 1 month only.

So from the current schedule, it seems like

Jan 16 to Mar 4: 1 plane
YUL- 1

Mar 5 to Apr 4: 4 planes
YUL- 3, YYZ- 1

Apr 5 to Apr 30: 4 planes
YUL- 4

By the way, currently for Summer 2020, YVR-BOS, 1 of the 2 daily ORD, 2 of the 3 daily SJC/DEN/YQR/YXE, 2 of the 4 daily YXY are not open for reservation. So watch these routes and maybe you'll see an A220 pops up one day :D

POCO
Aug 20, 2019, 5:28 AM
Maybe year-round Orlando?

s211
Aug 20, 2019, 6:26 PM
Is there any chance of an AC metal upgrade for Vancouver to Chicago? Those Jazz cigar tubes just don't cut it.

Cage
Aug 20, 2019, 9:33 PM
Is there any chance of an AC metal upgrade for Vancouver to Chicago? Those Jazz cigar tubes just don't cut it.

Once the A220s arrive and are added to the YVR pilot base; there should be an upgrade to YVR-ORD.

The CR9s are on the route because of the lack of pilot base for the E75 & E90.

s211
Aug 20, 2019, 11:03 PM
Once the A220s arrive and are added to the YVR pilot base; there should be an upgrade to YVR-ORD.

The CR9s are on the route because of the lack of pilot base for the E75 & E90.

United seems to be able to get away with 320s, or variants thereof. Why AC seems to cling to the cigar tubes for a flight of that length escapes me.

And from what I've seen of the A220 business class seats, let alone steerage, they look hard as concrete. That's one plane I could do without.

nname
Aug 21, 2019, 12:44 AM
United seems to be able to get away with 320s, or variants thereof. Why AC seems to cling to the cigar tubes for a flight of that length escapes me.

And from what I've seen of the A220 business class seats, let alone steerage, they look hard as concrete. That's one plane I could do without.

It's just like how AC was able to run 6x daily with variants of A320 on YVR-LAX, but UA only runs multiple daily CRJs.

And eventually all A320 would retires, and AC would never put widebodies on YVR-ORD... that leaves only CRJ, A220, MAX, or Rouge. Out of those, I'd pick the 220 on any day :D

thenoflyzone
Aug 21, 2019, 4:01 AM

This again? Spoke about this a month ago. Plus what Cage said is correct.

What’s with all the hate for Bombardier metal?
Need I remind you AA switched their year round mainline YVR-ORD to seasonal because it was underperforming.
United can make A320s work because they have a hub in ORD where YVR passengers can easily connect onto several dozen destinations (not served from YVR) on the US east coast, Caribbean, Europe, South America, etc.

AC cannot duplicate that through YVR, simply because ORD is well served to the US west coast and East Asia via United, so AC & star A at YVR dont offer much in terms of unserved destinations from ORD. To top it off, NZ now does AKL-ORD and QF will begin BNE-ORD next April. So the lands down under are also covered. This all means that the bread and butter of AC on YVR-ORD is O&D traffic. An A320 is too big. The E-jets either can’t cross the Rockies or are based out east.

Enter the CRJ9. Next step would likely be the A220.

But since you don’t like either plane, guess you’re shit outta luck. Maybe your luck will change when AC and UA get approval for their elusive JV across the Canada/US border. That’s the only way I see an AC A320 on YVR-ORD.

connect2source
Aug 22, 2019, 7:27 PM
Jetlines had re-branded. They hired Quebec firm Cossette, looks very sharp and current IMO>

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_livery_for_canada_jetlines_by_cossette.php

casper
Aug 23, 2019, 12:53 AM
Jetlines had re-branded. They hired Quebec firm Cossette, looks very sharp and current IMO>

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_livery_for_canada_jetlines_by_cossette.php

What an airline.... They have a press release every two weeks about minor things and still are not flying.

They have the petition they want everyone to sign to force the government to end the WestJet and Air Canada duopoly. Not certain what they expect the government to actually do.

madog222
Aug 25, 2019, 12:38 AM

The logo is very reminiscent of TUI, especially in the livery rendering.

trofirhen
Aug 27, 2019, 9:37 PM
I hope that I copied and attributed the quotes from AIRLINERS.NET correctly: Regarding TK YVR-IST. I don't know if TK accepted the 3x weekly Transport Canada offered them, but the USA is more lax with air agreements, it seems, and I have a hunch TK will choose SEA over YVR. These are recent quotes from four days ago at the time of listing.
That would give SEA two ME destinations, while Vancouver has none. Shame that the government here in Canada is so tight-assed. ///// from AIRLINERS.NET:
"I wonder if TK is choosing Seattle over YVR or can both work for TK ?"
"Not sure if SEA has the right time slots for TK. If they do TK will do a daily to SEA, not the case with YVR."
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428251&p=21608197&hilit=YVR+destinations#p21608197

rxp
Aug 27, 2019, 11:15 PM
Is there a link to the big poster of all the transborder and international flights.. seem to recal a big list with the metals and destination.

trofirhen
Aug 28, 2019, 12:32 AM
Is there a link to the big poster of all the transborder and international flights.. seem to recal a big list with the metals and destination.
Could this be what you're looking for? It's in pdf, from the yvr.ca site. Click on the pdf symbol. Hope it works for you.:)

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/flights/airlines-and-destinations

SpongeG
Aug 28, 2019, 3:38 AM
pretty good deal

Vancouver to Toronto, Calgary, or Edmonton - $100 to $160 CAD roundtrip | non-stop flights

Flair Air has dropped the price of their fall flights from Vancouver to Toronto, Calgary, and Edmonton down to between $100 and $160 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

https://yvrdeals.com/vancouver-to-toronto-calgary-or-edmonton-100-to-160-cad-roundtrip-non-stop-flights

Hourglass
Aug 28, 2019, 4:30 AM
pretty good deal

Vancouver to Toronto, Calgary, or Edmonton - $100 to $160 CAD roundtrip | non-stop flights

Flair Air has dropped the price of their fall flights from Vancouver to Toronto, Calgary, and Edmonton down to between $100 and $160 CAD roundtrip including taxes.

https://yvrdeals.com/vancouver-to-toronto-calgary-or-edmonton-100-to-160-cad-roundtrip-non-stop-flights

That's an amazing price. I'm paying like $458 for YVR-YYZ on Westjet next month (Air Canada was even higher).

moosejaw
Aug 28, 2019, 2:13 PM
Jeez i paid over $800 for a YYZ to YYC five years ago.

trofirhen
Aug 28, 2019, 2:39 PM
That's an amazing price. I'm paying like $458 for YVR-YYZ on Westjet next month (Air Canada was even higher).

Jeez i paid over $800 for a YYZ to YYC five years ago.
I've hear it said that Canadians pay the highest domestic airfares of just about anywhere. Comparing this to SEA - New York, in the USA,
on JetBlue, Delta, and Alaska, the price is $358 CAD. (Yes, CAD, lower of course in $US) Canadians DO pay high airfare prices, and I would like to know why.

rxp
Aug 28, 2019, 6:59 PM
Could this be what you're looking for? It's in pdf, from the yvr.ca site. Click on the pdf symbol. Hope it works for you.:)

http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/flights/airlines-and-destinations

not on yvr's website.
one of the guys here posts a big image of all the flights, destinations, the plane being used etc.

nname
Aug 29, 2019, 12:40 AM
I've hear it said that Canadians pay the highest domestic airfares of just about anywhere. Comparing this to SEA - New York, in the USA,
on JetBlue, Delta, and Alaska, the price is $358 CAD. (Yes, CAD, lower of course in $US) Canadians DO pay high airfare prices, and I would like to know why.

And the YVR - YYZ flight on the same date is generally $365 to $407 if you book more than a month in advance, so a difference less than $50, and you'll have a choice of Flair, AC, WS, or TS.

This is not counting the $2xx offer from Flair.

"Not sure if SEA has the right time slots for TK. If they do TK will do a daily to SEA, not the case with YVR."
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1428251&p=21608197&hilit=YVR+destinations#p21608197

One advantage for YVR is that they'll have to compete for EK at SEA. Not sure if there is enough traffic from SEA to sustain 2 daily from the area. EK tried double daily before, but seems like the traffic isn't enough to sustain it.

I think TK should realize that the Canadian government would never allow EK to come in YVR, so they'll have most of the connecting traffic themselves. It's just that 3x weekly would be tricky for connection if the second leg out of IST is also sub-daily...

casper
Aug 29, 2019, 7:49 AM
pretty good deal

Hope you have better results that I did. In my case Fair was delayed forever. They are not winning awards for on-time performance.

trofirhen
Aug 29, 2019, 12:13 PM
One advantage for YVR is that they'll have to compete for EK at SEA. Not sure if there is enough traffic from SEA to sustain 2 daily from the area. EK tried double daily before, but seems like the traffic isn't enough to sustain it.

I think TK should realize that the Canadian government would never allow EK to come in YVR, so they'll have most of the connecting traffic themselves. It's just that 3x weekly would be tricky for connection if the second leg out of IST is also sub-daily...
Thank you for that feedback, nname.
In fact, that very topic was raised an AIRLINERS.NET where I found the posting. Someone said it would make a slight dent in EK at SEA, regarding their connections to Africa there.
And of course, TK wants very much to come to YVR, but it seems it would pass up YVR if it can get 5x / week at SEA. (and Canadian pax would again have to go to SEA to connect, how uncool is that)
As I said, it is too bad that Transport Canada is so tight-assed with its flight frequency allowances, which, in this case, will impact directly on YVR.

nname
Aug 29, 2019, 7:50 PM
YVR is renumbering the international/transborder gates again on Sep. 10th, in advance of the new terminal expansion. There will be more remote stands from the new expansion too. Basically no change from D50-55 but from there it will now be full sequential and not skip numbers

More details as for the gate changes as shown in new issue of AC enroute:

Old number -> New number

75 -> 75
73 -> 74
71 -> 73
70 -> 72
67 -> 71
66 -> 70
65 -> 69
64 -> 68
62 -> 62
59 -> 59
58 -> 58
57 -> 57
56 -> 56

According to AC, the new gates number are effective as of Sept 12.

========================

Other AC news, seems like YVR-PEK is changed from 77L to 789 next summer. And as mentioned earlier, ZRH also changed to a 789.

KIX and CDG remains as 788... maybe DUB will become 788 too next summer, and one of the route will gain additional weekly flight?

SpongeG
Aug 31, 2019, 1:04 AM
Stuck on a plane . Departure time is 6pm. But yvr airport says they are short staffed in traffic control and won't less us depart. So we are stuck on the plane as they will only allow a 6,:40 departure. Air Canada just left to yvr why did I choose WestJet

osirisboy
Aug 31, 2019, 3:22 PM
Stuck on a plane . Departure time is 6pm. But yvr airport says they are short staffed in traffic control and won't less us depart. So we are stuck on the plane as they will only allow a 6,:40 departure. Air Canada just left to yvr why did I choose WestJet

Lol the airport actually says they are short staffed?. Thats stupid of them! Good way to irritate a bunch of passengers. And what difference does it make being on air Canada or west jet?

Gordon
Aug 31, 2019, 6:16 PM
Alaska seems to have moved most of it's flights from E96 to bridged gates. The Trans border ground loading gates seem to getting less and less use.

Has any new info about come out about Pier F?

nname
Aug 31, 2019, 7:17 PM
Alaska seems to have moved most of it's flights from E96 to bridged gates. The Trans border ground loading gates seem to getting less and less use.

ERJ and CRJ always uses the bridged gates... since all flights from DL and AS are at least E75, the only flights that would need the ground gates now are AC to SEA and PDX.

SpongeG
Sep 1, 2019, 3:49 AM
Lol the airport actually says they are short staffed?. Thats stupid of them! Good way to irritate a bunch of passengers. And what difference does it make being on air Canada or west jet?

Cause everytime I choose westjet something happens, nothing about the airline just the way it seems to go. Delays, or the one time we got on than we were told to get off, waited and waited and than they said sorry we have had to cancel the flight go home and try again tomorrow and ended up having to find a hotel and was put onto a plane that went to Calgary and wait there for 3 hours.

I watched the Air Canada depart on time, I usually catch that flight but I thought I would take the slightly later one. They cost the same. My luck. :(

Lots of people on board were upset cause their connections were tight, luckily a lot were going to Kelowna and the plane we used was the one that was going to go to Kelowna after.

SpongeG
Sep 1, 2019, 3:56 AM
some pics of the expansion

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48656896731_896f2b0d2f_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2h8DjdB)2019-08-31_08-51-44 (https://flic.kr/p/2h8DjdB) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48656898226_a1c5613bab_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2h8DjEo)2019-08-31_08-52-17 (https://flic.kr/p/2h8DjEo) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48657045327_0ea69ac643_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2h8E5oB)2019-08-31_08-52-50 (https://flic.kr/p/2h8E5oB) by snub_you (https://www.flickr.com/photos/spongeg/), on Flickr

connect2source
Sep 1, 2019, 3:01 PM
More on the array of new and much needed food offerings coming to YVR. I'm really looking forward to this as the current selection is pretty terrible. Joe and the Juice is one of my favs in Europe.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/yvr-airport-new-food-concepts

SpongeG
Sep 2, 2019, 5:55 AM
a few of these are post-security in domestic, I wonder where, the C gates are pretty full, one of the old stores is being changed to something but is small. The B gates have an empty space next to Carls Jr in a food court style space.

Speaking of the different gates, they close off the security to WestJet - B gates side fairly early in the evening. I came out there the other night and there were people wandering around trying to figure out how to get in. They had no signage directing people to use the security at the C gates.

Also the whote spot is all hoarded up to make room for Steamworks or whatever it is that is replacing it. I wonder why there is no Triple O's post security, that would be awesome. Veras is awful and Carls is well Carls.

thenoflyzone
Sep 7, 2019, 12:47 AM
July 2019 stats are out.

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2019/07-july/july-traffic-update.pdf?la=en

Domestic -0.3%
Transborder +0.9%
Asia Pac -0.1%
Europe -1.5%
Misc -14.3%

Total intl incl. transborder -0.4%
Total all sectors -0.4%

Considering this is a peak summer month, those are pretty weak results.

YTD total: +2.0%

trofirhen
Sep 7, 2019, 3:09 AM
July 2019 stats are out.

http://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/facts-sheets/2019/07-july/july-traffic-update.pdf?la=en

Domestic -0.3%
Transborder +0.9%
Asia Pac -0.1%
Europe -1.5%
Misc -14.3%

Total intl incl. transborder -0.4%
Total all sectors -0.4%

Considering this is a peak summer month, those are pretty weak results.

YTD total: +2.0%
I cannot help but wonder what is causing this drop - or at least very poor showing. Is it in part due to the 738 groundings? If not, to poor economic conditions?
Perhaps more knowledgeable members would be able to shed some light on this. There must be reason. What is it? Anybody?

Vagabond
Sep 7, 2019, 5:12 AM
Possibly of relevance to YVR, Pacific Coastal Airlines/WestJet Link has been approved (https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2019-164) to offer scheduled international service (USA).

Johnny Aussie
Sep 7, 2019, 6:11 AM
Possibly of relevance to YVR, Pacific Coastal Airlines/WestJet Link has been approved (https://otc-cta.gc.ca/eng/ruling/a-2019-164) to offer scheduled international service (USA).

Possible relevance but their largest aircraft (Saab 340s) would have minimal use other than SEA and PDX. From YYC, same issue, very few markets that would be viable on that aircraft.

Since they now fly YYC-PDX on Encore, perhaps they will run some YVR-PDX flights.

DL has SEA covered well from YVR and YYC.

nname
Sep 7, 2019, 9:49 AM
I cannot help but wonder what is causing this drop - or at least very poor showing. Is it in part due to the 738 groundings? If not, to poor economic conditions?
Perhaps more knowledgeable members would be able to shed some light on this. There must be reason. What is it? Anybody?

Big cut in domestic and transborder capacity due to MAX grounding.
Political situation in Asia, which probably affect YVR more than other Canadian airport.
WS pulled out of MEX this summer.
YYC competes with YVR for European connecting traffic.

AFAIK, the number for YYZ is pretty weak too. YUL have some gain, but it's nothing compared to the huge increase observed last year and in the early part of this year.

I don't think WS link would operate US route out of YVR though... AFAIK there's no plane based here with the WS livery. It would probably be some routes like YYC-GEG...

SpongeG
Sep 7, 2019, 10:47 AM
The unrest in Hong Kong is probably a big factor. British Airways pilots are now on strike and that could affect flights soon.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-06/british-airways-poised-to-cancel-flights-monday-on-pilot-strike

Hourglass
Sep 7, 2019, 1:02 PM
Big cut in domestic and transborder capacity due to MAX grounding.
Political situation in Asia, which probably affect YVR more than other Canadian airport.
WS pulled out of MEX this summer.
YYC competes with YVR for European connecting traffic.

AFAIK, the number for YYZ is pretty weak too. YUL have some gain, but it's nothing compared to the huge increase observed last year and in the early part of this year.

All of the above + HK protests + the trade war between the US and China affecting the global (and Chinese) economy, the diplomatic tensions between Canada and China from the Huawei case hitting visitor numbers, and the economy slowing in South Korea due to weaker exports and the spat with Japan (and also the decline in tourists from China).

What a dog’s breakfast. In some ways, I’m surprised the decline isn’t more pronounced.

Bogofomo
Sep 7, 2019, 4:22 PM

Could potentially mean new service: GEG, BOI, PAE are all possibilities.

nname
Sep 7, 2019, 10:07 PM
What a dog’s breakfast. In some ways, I’m surprised the decline isn’t more pronounced.

Same here, I was expecting a decrease of about 2-3%...

Vagabond
Sep 7, 2019, 11:39 PM

The 2019 drop in tourists from China & NE Asia appears to be somewhat mitigated by a sharp increase in arrivals from India (and SE Asia, to a lesser extent). BC arrivals by Indian citizens were up 66% in May (YoY) (https://www.destinationbc.ca/content/uploads/2019/07/International-Visitor-Arrivals-May-2019.pdf) and 20% in June (https://www.destinationbc.ca/content/uploads/2019/08/International-Visitor-Arrivals-June-2019.pdf) (the July #s haven't bee released yet). Many of these Indian tourists would have flown in on NE Asian airlines, likely making up for smaller crowds from those markets.

Anecdotally, we noticed this trend on a road trip to the Rockies this summer. In Banff & Yoho NPs, in particular, South Asian tourists were far more prominent than East Asian tourists. Considering this coincides with a period of relative economic instability in India (and a rupee which hasn't appreciated much in recent years), I don't think this can be written off as attributable to any single issue. The only thing which does come to mind would be passengers re-routed to/from other Canadian airports, given AC's non-stop flights to India (from YYZ) were largely cancelled for part of 2019.

As a broader trend, it will be really interesting to see if this growth can be sustained over the long term. A BC tourism market where India annually supplies 2/3 as many tourists as China will have profound implications for the industry.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 8, 2019, 1:28 AM

Correct as intl capacity is down around that range. Seems to be a good result of better LF perhaps. Maintaining the meteoric rise over the last decade is a good sign even with slight downturn and it’s a fact the MAX has had an impact.

A few more routes from Australia to China also being dropped.

Johnny Aussie
Sep 9, 2019, 2:56 AM
From Westjet’s blog. Entry published 9 Sep.

Due to ongoing MAX groundings, Westjet has finally pulled max flying from November and December.

· Vancouver – Honolulu; Added 24 flight segments in December to accommodate Alberta flight cancellations.
· Vancouver – Maui; added 24 flight segments in December to accommodate Alberta flight cancellations.

They have added a daily flight at 1715 split 4x week to HNL and 3x week to OGG.

Total of 7 daily to Hawaii on Westjet in December.

trofirhen
Sep 9, 2019, 3:00 PM
The 2019 drop in tourists from China & NE Asia appears to be somewhat mitigated by a sharp increase in arrivals from India (and SE Asia, to a lesser extent). BC arrivals by Indian citizens were up 66% in May (YoY) (https://www.destinationbc.ca/content/uploads/2019/07/International-Visitor-Arrivals-May-2019.pdf) and 20% in June (https://www.destinationbc.ca/content/uploads/2019/08/International-Visitor-Arrivals-June-2019.pdf) (the July #s haven't bee released yet). Many of these Indian tourists would have flown in on NE Asian airlines, likely making up for smaller crowds from those markets. / ................................
PLEASE EXCUSE THE EDIT
....................................................../
As a broader trend, it will be really interesting to see if this growth can be sustained over the long term. A BC tourism market where India annually supplies 2/3 as many tourists as China will have profound implications for the industry.
I wonder if this might validate a flight YVR-BOM ... even if only seasonal? It might develop into year round. Mumbai is, after all, the largest and wealthiest city in India.

nname
Sep 9, 2019, 7:32 PM
I wonder if this might validate a flight YVR-BOM ... even if only seasonal? It might develop into year round. Mumbai is, after all, the largest and wealthiest city in India.

TBH, I think we would see YVR-DEL goes to 77W and YYZ-BOM goes back to year-round before we'll see YVR-BOM...

SpongeG
Sep 9, 2019, 9:45 PM
did the BA flight to YVR get cancelled?

thenoflyzone
Sep 9, 2019, 10:00 PM
did the BA flight to YVR get cancelled?

BA85 is cancelled today and tomorrow due to strike action at BA. Same for the daily flights to YYC/YUL and all BA flights to YYZ.

SpongeG
Sep 9, 2019, 10:10 PM
ok, none of the articles I read really said what flights were affected.

---

from facebook:

Vancouver International Airport
1 hr ·
To prepare for the installation of a pedestrian bridge, there are some changes taking place in the International Arrivals area. Keep an eye out for changes at the crosswalk and passenger pick up area. Please follow signage and directions from Ground Transportation staff. Thank you for your patience.

https://external.fyxd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/safe_image.php?d=AQCijFDMEj92-zJQ&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yvr.ca%2F-%2Fmedia%2Fyvr%2F610_yvr_general_august_2019.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQBcv-saw8xyW09N

The crosswalk at International Arrivals on level 2 will be relocated to the west of the taxi pick up area. This crosswalk is expected to be in place from September 10th until the end of December. To prepare for this, there will be paving, line painting and signage installation taking place overnight (after midnight) from September 4th to 10th. The new crosswalk will be staffed during peak times.
The canopy east of the passenger pick up area will be removed on September 9th.The passenger pick up area will be reduced in size with a partial sidewalk closure and minor traffic pattern changes—this will be in effect until the end of December.

source (http://www.yvr.ca/en/passengers/construction/construction-updates/changes-at-international-arrivals?fbclid=IwAR0DuHTkZGX8aLIQ1PRv-GC4CkRQ4VlXqsAkRUDeacLccoXmndXV3DwG7lI)

SFUVancouver
Sep 9, 2019, 10:51 PM
Airliners.net has a thread about Cathay discontinuing JFK-YVR fifth freedom flight in the new year.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430987

The source is an article from The Points Guy: https://thepointsguy.com/news/cathay-pacific-will-end-its-new-york-vancouver-flights-next-spring/