PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO | Legacy at Millennium Park | 819 FT / 250 M | 73 FLOORS | 2010

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

jjk1103
Dec 21, 2006, 2:55 AM
....I don't suppose anyone has some photos on how the site prep is going ? ........it seems like they have been at it forever....

bnk
Dec 21, 2006, 4:12 AM
I think this building would qualify as being U/C now.

Could the thead be moved yet or soon?

Steely Dan
Dec 21, 2006, 4:17 AM
^ nope. it's not under construction yet. when it is, it'll be moved.

Sir Isaac Newton
Dec 21, 2006, 4:17 AM
I think this building would qualify as being U/C now.

Could the thead be moved yet or soon?

What exactly is going on, at the site?

headcase
Dec 21, 2006, 12:02 PM
What exactly is going on, at the site?

Demolition of the pre-existing structure, aka siteprep.

SSDD

VivaLFuego
Dec 21, 2006, 3:16 PM
....I don't suppose anyone has some photos on how the site prep is going ? ........it seems like they have been at it forever....

Um, they have to demo several old buildings, in a tight space, while preserving the facades, then presumably perform some remediation at the site. I wouldn't be surprised if 'site prep' (i.e. pre-foundation) goes on for another 4-6 months.

Breezyfingers
Dec 21, 2006, 5:07 PM
Lynn Becker has a "photo essay" here (http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/legacy/legacy.htm).

BVictor1
Dec 21, 2006, 5:15 PM
Lynn Becker has a "photo essay" here (http://lynnbecker.com/repeat/legacy/legacy.htm).

wow! i didn't realize how far along they had gotten. im going to have to get over there soon.

this is going to make a wonderful addition to the skyline along with the 830 South Michigan...:cool:

bnk
Dec 22, 2006, 4:35 AM

Cool link.

This is why I thought it could be considered U/C. There is no way after all of this work and effort this building will not be rising soon, this one is a given.

They and Waterview have a very professional staff working to fill the units; There is much greater experience and knowledge working there than anything provided at LLEast at least in my experience with each.

This is one of my most favorite new buildings going up right now. The angled view is brilliant and innovative, not to mention an excellent location. Every unit will see the lake except for the middle west units, which BTW do not have any thing to cry about. Imagine looking out for 50-60 miles of lights and progress.

It will add a nice high border to Millennium park. Like it does not have enough already.

Without MP this building would not have left the drawing board. So kudos to Daley and his vision on MP.

The best of luck to you my love, the Legacy. I hope to have a second vacation/investment home there some day, hopefully within 10 years. Depending upon the market 340 on the park, Aqua, or similar buildings should also be considered.

We are living in good times.

Steely Dan
Dec 22, 2006, 3:11 PM
This is why I thought it could be considered U/C. There is no way after all of this work and effort this building will not be rising soon, this one is a given.

of course it's a given that it will be built at this point, but we're sticklers for accuracy in chicago, and if something ain't officially under construction as we define the term, then it simply ain't under construction. there's no reason to jump the gun on an inevitability. it will happen soon enough.

SolarWind
Dec 23, 2006, 4:50 AM
This one isn't officially under construction yet. I stopped by at lunch today and didn't bring a camera, so no pictures. They were clearing the last bit of debris from the site and it looked like some excavation work was taking place on the northwest side. Only the braced facades are standing. I also saw workers pumping out a sloppy mud mixture that resulted from all the rain we got this morning. The view from Wabash is pretty good now and was actually better than the one in the alley off of Monroe. That view was blocked by equipment. I didn't notice any caisson work yet.

Nowhereman1280
Dec 23, 2006, 4:59 AM
^^^So wow, its really moving along, even though it hasn't been UC, this thing is starting to get really close. This and Aqua are both going to start at practically the exact same time! Though Aqua may edge this one out by a while, depending on whether there are things that still need to be done at Legacy that we can't see.

Alliance
Jan 3, 2007, 5:14 PM
Cool link.
This is one of my most favorite new buildings going up right now. The angled view is brilliant and innovative, not to mention an excellent location. Every unit will see the lake except for the middle west units, which BTW do not have any thing to cry about. Imagine looking out for 50-60 miles of lights and progress.

It will add a nice high border to Millennium park. Like it does not have enough already.

Without MP this building would not have left the drawing board. So kudos to Daley and his vision on MP.
This building looks almost like a razor. Aqua beats this building, but not by much. These two are imo two of the best buildings of the Boom.

We are living in good times.
:cool:

SolarWind
Jan 10, 2007, 1:22 AM
January 9, 2007

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1425/lgy1tt2.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3929/dsc0117ba6.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8808/dsc0121cg9.jpg

Nowhereman1280
Jan 10, 2007, 1:31 AM
WOW! That is quite amazing! How surreal, a good portion of a city block cleared of everything but the walls and graded flat. I looks like they are just about done with demo, maybe there are some bits of the old foundations left or something (that could explain why that one backhoe is digging in the middle), but it looks like its been graded nice and flat so that Cassion Rigs can drive on it and finally get this baby U/C!

This sure is the most interesting project to watch at the moment, quite an amazing method of construction.

honte
Jan 10, 2007, 2:14 AM
^ I'm a big fan of this project, so I am somewhat surprised how sad it is to see those poor facades just pointlessly standing there. I will be glad when you can't see this huge void in the Loop any longer and the new tower is rising...

SolarWind
Jan 10, 2007, 3:08 AM
They've made some good progress in the past two months. Hopefully construction can officially start soon.

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/718/pb020143no4.jpg

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/8679/dsc0125xp2.jpg

Nov 2 vs. Jan 9

denizen467
Jan 10, 2007, 4:31 AM
^ Does it stay like that through the entire construction process?!?
I thought the facade is disassembled and preserved off site, and then upon completion they reassemble it. But Lynn Becker's article describes the Heritage process as "facades were secured to a steel skeleton, and a condo skyscraper built behind them", which suggests the facades remain in situ, and these photos almost suggest the same.
Which is correct?

Steely Dan
Jan 10, 2007, 4:56 AM
Which is correct?

the latter. the facades will remain as they are, supported from the steel frame, as a new skyscraper is built behind them, just as it was done with the heritage a couple of blocks north on wabash.

BVictor1
Jan 10, 2007, 5:05 AM
I was over there earlier today as well. I asked one of the workers when they would begin to drill caissons, and I was told "in a few weeks".

denizen467
Jan 10, 2007, 6:20 AM
the latter. the facades will remain as they are, supported from the steel frame, as a new skyscraper is built behind them, just as it was done with the heritage a couple of blocks north on wabash.
Wow, that's amazing, and impressive! I never would have guessed they do it that way. I can't believe they get them to stay intact like that while pulling down everything they're attached to. It would seem (to me) like the easier (or only) way to ensure they remain intact would be to carefully dismantle the facades, and then demolish the rest of the building. This would also put less obstacles in the way of the entire construction process.

But this way really adds to the authenticity of the facades - you can't really argue it's just some Disneyification of a modern tower. The facades remain continuously standing for a hundred years before and a hundred years after the 'changeover' operation.

What a wonderful thing. Now where's the History / Discovery Channel to document all this, dammit?

honte
Jan 10, 2007, 7:31 AM
But this way really adds to the authenticity of the facades - you can't really argue it's just some Disneyification of a modern tower. The facades remain continuously standing for a hundred years before and a hundred years after the 'changeover' operation.

You can't? It's still a four-wythe wall masquerading as a historic building, whether it's rebuilt or left in place...

kalmia
Jan 10, 2007, 10:51 AM
Wow, that's amazing, and impressive! I never would have guessed they do it that way. I can't believe they get them to stay intact like that while pulling down everything they're attached to. It would seem (to me) like the easier (or only) way to ensure they remain intact would be to carefully dismantle the facades, and then demolish the rest of the building. This would also put less obstacles in the way of the entire construction process.

What a wonderful thing. Now where's the History / Discovery Channel to document all this, dammit?

The façade of the burnt out Pilgrim Baptist south of here is currently being attached to a similar system.

Steely Dan
Jan 10, 2007, 4:38 PM
You can't? It's still a four-wythe wall masquerading as a historic building, whether it's rebuilt or left in place...

i think denizen's point was that the fact that the actual facade is being left intact, and not rebuilt, means that it's more genuine. the actual construction of the facade from the 19th century will be left as it was built. this kind of facadectomy really walks the finest of lines.

trvlr70
Jan 10, 2007, 6:58 PM
January 9, 2007

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1425/lgy1tt2.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3929/dsc0117ba6.jpg

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8808/dsc0121cg9.jpg

Solarwind,

These shots are amazing. I particularly like the last one. I had no idea that is how it was done.

honte
Jan 11, 2007, 7:31 AM
i think denizen's point was that the fact that the actual facade is being left intact, and not rebuilt, means that it's more genuine. the actual construction of the facade from the 19th century will be left as it was built. this kind of facadectomy really walks the finest of lines.

Yeah, I got it. But what I'm saying is, what's NOT Disneyesque about an 1870s facade tacked on to a 74-story building? Who cares how it got there?

Yes, the masonry of the 1870s facade will remain as it was done. But the facade will not remain "as built" because it is not self-supporting and the original support structure has been demolished.

Again, I'm a fan of this project. I am just raising the issue.

Chicago Shawn
Jan 11, 2007, 8:24 AM
Settlement survey marks went up around the site, caissons should be comming soon.

McStructures
Jan 16, 2007, 11:43 PM
More of the same from a different prespective............

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/P1010030.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/P1010032-1.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/P1010033.jpg

BVictor1
Jan 16, 2007, 11:48 PM
^^Dude, those shots are awsome. I see that you are new to the forum so let me say WELCOME...

Rocket1
Jan 17, 2007, 9:49 AM
^^Dude, those shots are awsome.

Ditto. Great pics.

BTW, this may have been address earlier.

But I was wondering why they decided to leave the frontage of the building in place.

From my vantage as an educated layman, I would have thought it would have been easier to carefully cut and disassemble the frontage, and then reassemble it after the new building was built.

But perhaps they wanted to leave it in place for historical reasons?

dropdeaded209
Jan 17, 2007, 3:46 PM
are the facades going to be used as entryways for the condos only or will there be a retail element? also do we know if the upper floors of the facades are going to be actively used?

woodrow
Jan 17, 2007, 4:11 PM
^^Retail on some of the street level, and the School of the Art Institute will have floors corresponding with at least two or three of the facade levels.

Mr Roboto
Jan 17, 2007, 4:15 PM
I dont know why, even though it looks cool from a construction stand point, but those pictures scare the hell out of me for some reason. Is that the future of the loop?

Im glad this building looks great, but i hate to think about losing all that history for possibly trashy buildings. Just hope the powers that be can keep this shit in check sometimes. Anyways, thanks for the great pictures guys.

Nowhereman1280
Jan 17, 2007, 8:23 PM
I dont know why, even though it looks cool from a construction stand point, but those pictures scare the hell out of me for some reason. Is that the future of the loop?

Im glad this building looks great, but i hate to think about losing all that history for possibly trashy buildings. Just hope the powers that be can keep this shit in check sometimes. Anyways, thanks for the great pictures guys.

I share the same concern, however its not logically relevant to worry about this happening just because people might build shitty buildings behind them. The issue there is not facadectomies, but rather shitty architecture. So far we haven't seen this done for a crappy building, this and the heritage are the only ones I know of (anyone know of any others). I'll worry about this more if someone proposes doing this so that they can throw up a 30 story cement box behind it.

mkdr2
Jan 17, 2007, 11:11 PM
are the facades going to be used as entryways for the condos only or will there be a retail element? also do we know if the upper floors of the facades are going to be actively used?

Entrance to condo on Monroe, portion of 1st floor in Art Institute building. Official address is 60 E Monroe. Entrance to parking garage on Wabash.

SolarWind
Jan 18, 2007, 4:13 AM
More of the same from a different prespective............
^^ Wow! Nice job McStructures! :tup: Those are terrific pictures. I hope you continue to take more in the future.

HK Chicago
Jan 18, 2007, 4:16 AM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/P1010033.jpg

I hope no one walks out of the red doors on the southern face...

Tom In Chicago
Jan 18, 2007, 4:36 AM
McStructures - Welcome to the forum. . . your photos are excellent. . . quite a unique perspective on a site we so rarely see. . .

ih8spires
Jan 20, 2007, 2:14 PM
I just went out for a morning jog down Wabash and saw a caisson rig and dril bits at the Legacy at Millenium Park site. I also saw a soil testing rig at Park Michigan.

Steely Dan
Jan 20, 2007, 7:20 PM
I just went out for a morning jog down Wabash and saw a caisson rig and dril bits at the Legacy at Millenium Park site.

intersting! with all the hoopla of CS this morning, i almost skipped right over this tid bit of info.

Richardsonhomebuyers
Jan 21, 2007, 1:27 AM
I just walked by today and saw the caissons laying on the ground. I think thats what they were. Big round long tubes of rebar.

Steely Dan
Jan 21, 2007, 1:30 AM
I just walked by today and saw the caissons laying on the ground. I think thats what they were. Big round long tubes of rebar.

yeah, that sounds like one of the rebar cages that are inserted into the caissons. if they're already tying the rebar cages together, then this one will most likely go officially U/C in the coming week. YAY!

SevenSevenThree
Jan 21, 2007, 1:34 AM
Is that what that was? I saw this on Thursday but didnt bother to say anything because I didnt know if it was significant or not.

Anyways, YAY!

brian_b
Jan 21, 2007, 3:54 PM
ha, I came in here to write that I saw a caisson rig on the site last night. I guess I'm really slow!

NYC2ATX
Jan 22, 2007, 12:42 AM
So far we haven't seen this done for a crappy building, this and the heritage are the only ones I know of (anyone know of any others).

Don't forget the Hearst Magazine Tower (built out of the Hearst Magazine Building) in Manhattan, which was also gutted. That came out looking great. I wouldn't worry :tup:

DANTHEDISCOMAN
Jan 22, 2007, 12:54 AM
^Just walked by that yesterday, its one of my favorites in NYC

Tom Servo
Jan 22, 2007, 6:15 AM
^ Yeah... when I first heard of the Legacy I thought of the Hearst Tower, which is really awesome btw.

DCCliff
Jan 22, 2007, 5:10 PM
I share the same concern, however its not logically relevant to worry about this happening just because people might build shitty buildings behind them. The issue there is not facadectomies, but rather shitty architecture. So far we haven't seen this done for a crappy building, this and the heritage are the only ones I know of (anyone know of any others). I'll worry about this more if someone proposes doing this so that they can throw up a 30 story cement box behind it.

Well, not in Chicago. But in Washington DC, facade preservation has become almost routine. Typically, 3 to 6 storey facades are retained to front new 10 to 12 storey buildings of generally bland modern or historical design (being DC, there are no scrapers but tons of generally bland designs). The developer is given a benefit for preserving the more textured, historically referenced streetscape that results. The recent champion facadectomy was the complete rebuilding of the Investment Building. Not even the steel frame was saved. But the entire 12-storey 2-sided limestone beaux arts facade,fronting nearly 300 feet on one street and over 100 on the other was supported by a massive steel structure for over 2 years during construction. The support structure was actually a huge cool piece of urban sculpture. I'll try to find a pic.

This is a first post from a lurker who is really much more interested in Chicago scape than DC scape. But thought you might like to know how routine this practice is elsewhere.

sentinel
Jan 22, 2007, 5:15 PM
Well, not in Chicago. But in Washington DC, facade preservation has become almost routine. Typically, 3 to 6 storey facades are retained to front new 10 to 12 storey buildings of generally bland modern or historical design (being DC, there are no scrapers but tons of generally bland designs). The developer is given a benefit for preserving the more textured, historically referenced streetscape that results. The recent champion facadectomy was the complete rebuilding of the Investment Building. Not even the steel frame was saved. But the entire 12-storey 2-sided limestone beaux arts facade,fronting nearly 300 feet on one street and over 100 on the other was supported by a massive steel structure for over 2 years during construction. The support structure was actually a huge cool piece of urban sculpture. I'll try to find a pic.

This is a first post from a lurker who is really much more interested in Chicago scape than DC scape. But thought you might like to know how routine this practice is elsewhere.

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forums DCCliff :D

honte
Jan 22, 2007, 5:51 PM
So far we haven't seen this done for a crappy building, this and the heritage are the only ones I know of (anyone know of any others).

Yeah, there have been several notable instances of this in Chicago:

McGraw-Hill building (much like DCCliff's example in DC)
Proposed Farwell building
Heritage
Legacy
The Center on Halsted
Platt Luggage Building at McCormick Place

I know there are others, but I cannot think of them now.
I think it is a larger concern than just the fact that bad architecture might be built behind the buildings. But I don't have any particular advice on this matter, since I am torn by good buildings such as the Legacy being built. It's a tough call, certainly. If it starts to happen more regularly or to more prominent buildings, I might change my tune.

ChitownJay
Jan 23, 2007, 3:13 AM
Sorry Steely. Just got back in after sending you an e-mail...

I work at 36 S. Wabash and when I walked out the door for lunch this afternoon, I noticed they were drilling a caisson hole in the northeast corner of the Legacy lot, beyond the preserved facade, by the alley next to the Louis Sullivan tobacco store building. Someone may wish to go over there tomorrow to verify. But it looks to me like Legacy is no longer on the site prep list. I think construction started today.

Steely Dan
Jan 23, 2007, 3:25 AM
^ the Legacy is now officially under construction!!!

woo-hoo!

spyguy
Jan 23, 2007, 3:34 AM
Good news - the first big tower of 2007!

hi123
Jan 23, 2007, 6:07 AM
Fantastic news!:cheers: :banana: :frog: :tup: :worship: :banger: :drunk: :skyscraper: :leek:

the urban politician
Jan 23, 2007, 6:12 AM
^ the heritage is now officially under construction!!!

^ Uh, wrong building, but it's all about the spirit at this point

:cheers:

SamInTheLoop
Jan 23, 2007, 6:14 AM
Great to hear! :cheers:

:banana:

aaron38
Jan 23, 2007, 3:49 PM
And it moves into the #3 spot on the construction list, outdone in this boom only by Trump and Waterview. It's going to look amazing on the skyline.

trvlr70
Jan 23, 2007, 4:15 PM
I still can't believe this one is happening. It seems incredulous. I remember when the proposal first came out and I thought it was so phenomenal and thus quite unlikely to ever be built.

What a pleasant surprise.

Chicago Shawn
Jan 23, 2007, 9:41 PM
And it moves into the #3 spot on the construction list, outdone in this boom only by Trump and Waterview. It's going to look amazing on the skyline.

Well allmost, Park Tower also a product of this boom era tops out at 844', but yeah other than that and the two big boys it rises above all others in this amazing boom. It will look great from Grant Park, and I am so excited to see this one U/C. I think that desrves 5 dancing bananas. :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

This, the Roosevelt Rd towers and the Park Michigan are at the top of my list to see completed. Aside from CS, I want Grant Park walled in by great towers more than anything. The beautiful Michigan avenue Streetwall will act as a foothill to the massive cliff of new modern towers beyond, followed by the mountain peaks of the Loop.

chicubs111
Jan 23, 2007, 10:59 PM
This is the most significant tower to go up in the loop in the last 10 to 20 years

Chicago2020
Jan 23, 2007, 11:07 PM
:cheers: :cheers: :upload_71700: :cheers: :cheers:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Chgo83/LegacyRendering.jpg

Alliance
Jan 23, 2007, 11:20 PM
:cheers: W00T!

Cheers for this awesome building. I think I'll go have a drink for it.:cheers:

honte
Jan 23, 2007, 11:57 PM
Congratulations everyone! Great addition to the Loop and more future evidence for City Hall to promote the "tall and thin"! :cheers:

Well allmost, Park Tower also a product of this boom era tops out at 844'

Shawn, thanks for mentioning that. I forget to add Park Tower to my list of facadectomies in Chicago, above.

Also, we should include Frank Lloyd Wright's Francisco Terrace Apartments, the facade of which is now in Oak Park.

PansitPinoy
Jan 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
Yay! Great news, it's about damn time, lol!

Mr Roboto
Jan 24, 2007, 3:12 AM
Great news. While decently priced for this kind of development, I still woudn't be able to afford this place. Wish I could, it looks like it will add so much to the skyline, especially viewed from Grant Park.

McStructures
Jan 25, 2007, 12:08 AM
Can you dig it???????????:banana:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/835faf09-1.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/fec09995.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/835faf09.jpg

justin00
Jan 25, 2007, 12:17 AM
This is really exciting. I have loved this proposal from the very beginning and it has an excellent location to make great impact on the skyline. When is this one supposed to be complete?

SolarWind
Jan 25, 2007, 1:25 AM
Can you dig it???????????:banana:
:previous: Thanks McStructures! I was hoping you'd post pictures. I stopped by at lunch today, but I didn't bring my camera. Regardless, you've got a much better view than I had.

Alliance
Jan 25, 2007, 3:55 AM
Can you dig it???????????:banana: [/IMG]

Oh I can. Great pics. I nominate that this become the tallest building of the boom. (its only an extra 22 ft...is it that much of a stretch? :) )

i_am_hydrogen
Jan 25, 2007, 4:20 AM
This can of Old Style goes out to the Legacy!!!

Jaroslaw
Jan 25, 2007, 5:50 AM
-So we'll have a slurry wall here too (along with Block 37 and Elysian)... this may take a bit of time. Strange that they would have to do this for only one floor, guess they're really worried about the neighbors sliding in.

JuniorReb
Jan 25, 2007, 3:10 PM
Any word on who is doing the concrete on Legacy ?

VivaLFuego
Jan 25, 2007, 4:20 PM
-So we'll have a slurry wall here too (along with Block 37 and Elysian)... this may take a bit of time. Strange that they would have to do this for only one floor, guess they're really worried about the neighbors sliding in.

Makes sense. I know at B37 they had some serious issues dealing with the Reliance and the Delaware, and there are some very old buildings on the block with the Legacy too.

Chicago Shawn
Jan 25, 2007, 7:18 PM
Any word on who is doing the concrete on Legacy ?

Do you mean supplier or contractor? I'm pretty sure Walsh is in charge of putting the building up.

JuniorReb
Jan 25, 2007, 11:03 PM
Contractor. Walsh OK

honte
Feb 7, 2007, 2:15 PM
Feb. 07, 2007
By Eddie Baeb

3 condo projects get $825 million in financing

Three downtown residential towers recently landed $825 million in construction loans and are being built despite falling condo sales and a glut of new units being marketed.

More than half the amount was for one building, the 82-story Aqua tower at Lakeshore East that’s to include 263 condos as well as apartments and a hotel when it opens in 2009.

Magellan Development Group LLC last month obtained $451 million in construction loans for the high-rise from LaSalle Bank, National City, Germany’s Eurohypo A.G. and Wall Street firm Lehman Brothers. Related story: Aqua tower in Lakeshore East close to financing

A 73-story condo tower going up at Monroe Street and Wabash Avenue called the Legacy at Millennium Park obtained a $275.5-million construction loan in December from LaSalle. Also in December, 1600 Museum Park, which will be the 10th high-rise at the Museum Park development, obtained $100.8 million in financing from National City.

The loans were made even as new-construction condo and townhome sales citywide plummeted 16% last year from a record high in 2005, according to a report by Schaumburg-based consulting firm Tracy Cross & Associates Inc.

Also last year, condo developers began marketing more than 6,500 units downtown, a 40% increase from the previous year, according to Chicago-based real estate consulting firm Appraisal Research Counselors.

While some of the proposed buildings won’t get built, condo developers with a proven track record and premier locations are likely to continue building. That will further squeeze their rivals, including many struggling to make enough sales to get their projects built, and also pressure the resale market, where condo prices have stagnated.

“To be successful in today’s market you have to have something unique — a great location along the lake or the river or right next to a park,” says Ronald Shipka Sr., head of Museum Park developer Enterprise Cos. “You’re going to be there forever trying to sell mid-block locations.”

About 60% of the units are sold at 1600 Museum Park, which is to open for residents in late 2008. Enterprise has three other condo high-rises already under construction at Museum Park, and may build three more towers at the sprawling development just south of Grant Park.

The Legacy has sold 75% of its 355 units, with two years of construction remaining, says Richard Hanson, principal with Mesa Development LLC, which also developed the Heritage condo tower near Millennium Park.

Mr. Hanson expects the herd to thin out this year as some developers will be forced to abandon their plans.

“They can’t be on the racetrack forever,” he says. “You can only be in pre-sale marketing for so long before you exhaust yourself because it’s so expensive.”

The Legacy, Aqua and 1600 Museum Park were among only 10 buildings last year that sold more than 100 units, according to Appraisal Research.

The competition will only intensify this year, as even developers who reach the 50%-sold threshold needed to obtain a construction loan will scrape hard to sell out their buildings — especially since most of their profits come from the last 20% of units they sell.

“Things will be more competitive,” says Gail Lissner, a vice-president with Appraisal Research. “It’s become a much harder time for a novice to be engaged in development.”

Alliance
Feb 7, 2007, 3:35 PM
What I love about this building is that it totally demolishes the status quo around Millennium Park. Its really nice to see these modern towers go up across the city, especially in this area. It adds a whole new level of depth that I feel Chicago has been a bit behind on.

This one way surpasses its cousin, the Heritage.

jcchii
Feb 7, 2007, 5:27 PM
^ according to that rendering it will be a stunner in that spot.
they're really going on it, if the activity I see daily from the L is any indication.

Rocket1
Feb 8, 2007, 3:31 AM
Wasn't this thread in "Highrise Proposals" until very recently?

What type of construction are they doing now?

i_am_hydrogen
Feb 8, 2007, 3:55 AM
Wasn't this thread in "Highrise Proposals" until very recently?

What type of construction are they doing now?

They demolished the existing buildings, while saving the facades. Now, caissons are being drilled.

McStructures
Feb 8, 2007, 4:50 AM
Caissons continue at the frozen tundra....

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q166/tmcdonald77/f211d61a.jpg

Chitown
Feb 8, 2007, 2:49 PM
Caissons continue at the frozen tundra....
Over hill, over dale...

Alliance
Feb 8, 2007, 9:34 PM
Well, its gotta be built.

There's gotta be wet quicksandy swampy mush somewhere underthere.

Tom Servo
Feb 9, 2007, 12:34 AM
http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B9676:%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3238%3E868%3E492%3EWSNRCG%3D32334:6483786nu0mrj

AWESOME! I hope this one turns out as good as its renderings!

Independence
Feb 9, 2007, 1:33 PM
AWESOME! I hope this one turns out as good as its renderings!

If it does :cheers: ....
it will be a stunner!:D

BVictor1
Feb 9, 2007, 7:15 PM
Got some info in a recent email

http://www.thelegacyatmillenniumpark.com/ecards/update104/images/MMWT103_2.jpg

There will be 58 total caissons at The Legacy at Millennium Park. In this case, however, we are not referring to the two–wheeled wagon variety. A caisson is a reinforced concrete support drilled 100 feet down to bedrock. About 750 truckloads of concrete will be used in the caissons – one–ninth the total amount required for the whole building.

Just some fun facts we thought you'd like to know!

— The Legacy at
Millennium Park Sales Team

aaron38
Feb 9, 2007, 7:50 PM
Did the sales team give any sort of basic schedule for the caisson work?
Are they going to be doing this one the same as Waterview, excavating down for the core mat pour, building up the core, then excavating the perimeter?

Rocket1
Feb 10, 2007, 3:34 AM
Got some info in a recent email

http://www.thelegacyatmillenniumpark.com/ecards/update104/images/MMWT103_2.jpg

There will be 58 total caissons at The Legacy at Millennium Park.

That seems like a bunch of support columns to me.

But is that pretty typical for a building the size of the Legacy?

Adam186
Feb 10, 2007, 3:42 AM
^I'm assuming most of the caissons will be for the core. I think Trump had around 112 caissons. I'd say it's typical.

BVictor1
Feb 11, 2007, 12:43 PM
Did the sales team give any sort of basic schedule for the caisson work?
Are they going to be doing this one the same as Waterview, excavating down for the core mat pour, building up the core, then excavating the perimeter?

I never asked any questions in the first place. It was like a newsletter that they sent out.

I don't think that any two structures are exactly built the same. Depends on the logistics of the site.

That seems like a bunch of support columns to me.

But is that pretty typical for a building the size of the Legacy?

What's typical? There are enough supports so that the building doesn't fall down. What exactly were you looking for them to do?

I mean, Aqua is going to have over 300 caissons spread across it's footprint and that's more than there were for Trump Tower.

Norsider
Feb 11, 2007, 2:42 PM
What's typical? There are enough supports so that the building doesn't fall down. What exactly were you looking for them to do?

True, true.

Caissons cost a lot of money. Rest assured that there will be not one more than is absolutely necessary to adequately support the building. How many is that? Well, that's why the structural engineers make the big bucks.

honte
Feb 11, 2007, 3:32 PM
^ The count naturally has to do with the spacing of the column grid at grade, the overturning moment of the strucuture, and the physical layout of the site. There is definitely no set formula.

BVictor1
Feb 21, 2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/business/roeder/265622,CST-FIN-roeder21.article

February 21, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist

DOING THE DEALS: LaSalle Bank, Bank of America and Euro Hypo (the worst bank name since Fifth Third) led a consortium that provided $275 million for construction of the Legacy at Millennium Park, 21-39 S. Wabash. The 72-story tower is by Mesa Development LLC and Walsh Investors LLC, which are due to finish the first homes in late summer 2009....

Nowhereman1280
Feb 21, 2007, 5:35 PM
Bank of America and Euro Hypo (the worst bank name since Fifth Third)

Haha, sooooo true!

How long ago did they get financing on this thing anyhow? It seems they've been working on it forever now.

wrab
Feb 28, 2007, 3:36 PM
http://www.theslatinreport.com/story.jsp?StoryName=0227legacy&Topic=Place&fromPage=Place

TAPPING MILLENNIUM PARK'S LEGACY
Peter Slatin

Any report on the condo development market routinely lists cities such as Miami and Las Vegas as the touchstones of a market gone made. It's just as easy to point to Chicago, where conversion of disused and historic office buildings, has fueled a resurgent and, some say, overbuilt urban center. But unlike those other places, Chicago's developers can't rely on tourists, snow birds or fun-seekers to fill their new residential buildings.
That relatively steady market has its benefits, says Gail Lissner, a vice president at Appraisal Research Corp., a local real estate marketing and research firm. "We don't have peaks and valleys, the craziness that you see in Vegas and on the coasts," she says.

That said, prices for Chicago condominiums have been holding firm, although sales volume dropped off at least 10% in 2006 from a record year in 2005. With more product still in the pipeline, construction costs rising and lenders beginning to tighten the reins, high-qualtiy Chicago developments offer some good values relative to other more turgid markets. The quick buck may not be there for speculator types, but the quick bang is also far less likely. And steady appreciation in prices plus renewedgrowth in the area's economy mean that, for those who want big-city living at an attractive multiple, Chicago represents good value.

Still, downtown Chicago has been undergoing a growth spurt that started in 1990, when there were just 50,000 condo units there, says Lissner. And though Bby 2004, there that number had reached 77,000;, today, it stands at 91,000 – and counting.

With that kind of volume being added and a cooling off of the national condo craze, the roughly 10% slowdown in sales volume in 2006 seems relatively benign. Nonetheless, the Chicago market presents growth challenges to developers.

One group that seems to have outsmarted the general trend – at least for now – is locally based Mesa Development. Mesa, the father-son team of Richard and Jim Hanson, is in the midst of building its second high-rise fronting Chicago's newest big-shouldered cultural landmark, Millennium Park. The park is the famously beautiful and over-budget cultural phenomenon that features a band shell designed by Frank Gehry and a giant silver bean by artist Anish Kapoor. Built atop parking and railyards that once formed a large gash in the central Loop, the 24.5-acre park immediately spawned development around it.

Mesa, however, didn't wait for the $475 million park to be completed. As planning got under way in the late 1990s, Richard Hanson began work on what he called the Heritage at Millennium Park, a 356-unit, 36-story condo that quickly sold out at an average of $450 a square foot before the park opened to the public in 2004.

That's pretty close to affordable housing for Manhattan, but in Chicago, early in the decade, it was a tall hurdle. Donald Trump, in his high-rise on the north side of the Chicago River – the park, and its new high-end neighborhood, are south of the river – was seeking sales of $550 to $600 a square foot early on, although his marketing team eventually surpassed those numbers and is now generating sales of about $700, or more, a square foot. "We call that level the 'ultra-luxury' market," says Lissner.

Mesa's success with the Heritage project led to its second building facing the park, this one called – do we detect a theme? – the Legacy. Just two blocks away from its predecessor, this one is twice as tall, at 72 stories, yet it has virtually the same number of units. At tThe $345 million Legacy, 's sales are moving more slowly than did those at the Heritage, but they are moving, says James Hanson.

Construction began last summer, and the units are 75% sold; he anticipates an average sale price of $600 a square foot. The premium above the Heritage units comes, he says, comes from learning to offer as many units as possible with park views, which he says are good for a $100 to $200-per-foot bump in price. And Mesa recently secured a $275 million construction loan for the project from a consortium of banks led by LaSalle Bank, which is owned by Dutch bank ABN-AMRO (nyse: ABN). Other banks leading the deal include Bank of America (nyse: BAC) and EuroHypo.

"They have outperformed, both in terms of sales velocity and on price point, too," says Lissner.

While Hanson says the highest-priced units in Chicago sell for between $1,000 and $1,200 a square foot, his projects aim at providing "affordable luxury." (The "ultra-luxury" market, says Lissner, is "very thin." – i.e., there's not much out there to sell at that level.)

Mesa has also worked a twist on the condo-hotel packages that have become increasingly prevalent. Although the Legacy is not such a project, residents can opt to join the adjacent, 100-year-old University Club, of course at a hefty membership fee.

Although the Legacy's sales prices may be higher, it's an open question whether Mesa's profits are seeing a similar boost. Construction costs have soared at least 50% in the past two years. Asked how Mesa has fared, Jim Hanson is circumspect: “

"We're fairly conservative," he says. "Although costs have risen, our margins are what we'd originally underwritten. We got the legacy job bid out early enough in 2006 before a lot of rampant escalation" in steel and concrete costs.

Even by Hanson's own admission, Chicago isn't attracting the kinds of condo buyers who fly in from Europe or Asia for the weekend. So where do his clients come from? "Our draw is local and regional," he says. "Fifty percent of our customers come from the suburbs." They are attracted by the park – and city – views, and by the cultural district that surround the area.

Oddly enough, Mesa is betting on another market that has seen its share of see-through buildings: San Jose. Mesa is developing what it says is the first downtown high-rise in Silicon Valley, a 22-story condo tower that Hanson claims will allow Mesa to "define the luxury market." "The play out there is looking at the recovery of Silicon Valley and the tech sector." In an area with a higher median income than San Francisco and a population of roughly 1 million, he says, "we need 213 [people] who want to be in a high-rise."

honte
Feb 28, 2007, 5:15 PM
Quite a few annoying errors in that article. Thanks for posting though.

Chitown
Mar 11, 2007, 8:32 AM
yea i'm really looking forward to seeing this one go up, because I still can't reconcile how it looks broader from the west in this rendering. I know the building's going to be wedge shaped but still.....
You know, I've been having the same trouble. But tonight I decided to go back and read this whole thread from the first page, because I like this project, and I didn't start coming to this forum until late last year. There I found the following pics of the model by BVictor1 during his visit to the sales center:

http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B9676%3A%7Ffp335%3Enu%3D3238%3E868%3E492%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A6483763nu0mrj
http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B9676%3A%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3238%3E868%3E492%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A6483778nu0mrj
http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B9676%3A%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3238%3E868%3E492%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A648377%3Cnu0mrj

And this one shows how it gets skinnier; this is the bottom portion of the east side:
http://images.snapfish.com/345%3B9676%3A%7Ffp338%3Enu%3D3238%3E868%3E492%3EWSNRCG%3D32334%3A648377%3Bnu0mrj

Again, these images are all courtesy of BVictor1, and can be found on page 6 with better explanations.

This project is simply the shiznit.

Chicago Shawn
Mar 19, 2007, 8:56 PM
03-13...
https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523969.jpg

03-17...
https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523980.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523984.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523985.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523987.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523988.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523990.jpg

Chicago Shawn
Mar 19, 2007, 9:37 PM
03-13...
https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523969.jpg

03-17...
https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523980.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523984.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523985.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523987.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523988.jpg

https://extranet.emporis.com/files/transfer/6/2007/03/523990.jpg

Chitown
Mar 29, 2007, 5:43 PM
Anyone been by this site lately? I'm really excited about this project; hopefully they're making quick work of the caissons.