PDA

View Full Version : Triad Now 2nd Largest Metro in NC

TwinCity
Feb 20, 2004, 7:36 AM
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?blobcol=urlmainpicture&blobheader=image%2Fjpeg&blobkey=id&blobtable=MGImage&blobwhere=1031773792593&cachecontrol=0%3A54%3A17+4%2F8%2F18&ssbinary=true

Alamance rejoins Triad designation
Metropolitan area barely beats out Raleigh-Durham for No. 2 spot in the state

By Wesley Young
JOURNAL REPORTER

We're No. 2!

Officials across the Piedmont Triad are cheering a decision Wednesday by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget to put Burlington and Alamance County back into the Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point Combined Statistical Area.

The addition of Alamance County makes the Triad the second-largest metropolitan area in the state, a distinction that the Raleigh-Durham area had before the change was announced. Charlotte is the largest metropolitan area in the state.

Governments across the region had worked for months to change the designation. Alamance County had formerly been part of the officially designated metropolitan region, but last year the county was dropped.

"That is something that was really important to us and something we worked on from the moment we found out that Alamance and Burlington were not going to be included," said Randy Billings, the executive director of the Piedmont Triad Council of Governments.

"Certainly the core of Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point and Burlington are part of our urban core. Urban commuting patterns support that. It is in the region's benefit to have them and to their benefit to be in the region," Billings said.

The addition of Alamance County's residents, estimated to number 136,000, raises the combined statistical area's population to 1.45 million, ahead of Raleigh-Durham, which has a population estimated at 1.4 million, according to U.S. Census Bureau.

The Triad will also move up in rank among metropolitan areas nationwide, Billings said.

"It improves our rank," he said. "Quite frankly that is part of the game. As the bigger companies look to regions they look to bigger regions. You like to be moved up ahead of your other competitors."

The federal government left Alamance out in the cold after Burlington leaders tried to get their city's name added to the official name of the metropolitan area, said Russ Smith, the assistant director of planning services for Burlington.

That effort failed, and the Office of Management and Budget left Burlington in a one-county metropolitan area of its own. Local officials decided that there was more strength in numbers.

"A lot of government agencies use those (areas) to come up with formulas to distribute funds," Smith said. "The concern was that with a smaller area we might get less money."

IHateBirds
Feb 20, 2004, 8:16 AM
I wonder how the land area compares... I would think the Triangle might be a bit smaller (i.e. denser), but I'm not sure.

Voices In My Head
Feb 20, 2004, 8:51 AM
take that, Triangle.

kidding 8)

cityboi
Feb 20, 2004, 12:23 PM
Yes this is great news. While Caswell and Montgomery counties are not in the Triad's metro statistical area, they are a part of the Piedmont Triad Region.

Actually the land area of the Triad and Triangle are about the same size, which indicates density levels are about the same.

Raleigh-NC
Feb 20, 2004, 1:41 PM
This comes as a surprise to me... The Triad was always larger in population, as far as I can remember, unless something changed in the last 2 years and the Triangle surpassed the Triad. To my best knowledge [population-wise] the two metros are pretty close, but I do not know in terms of land, or "urbanized" areas.

ejohnson
Feb 20, 2004, 4:00 PM
I can tell you're new, Voices In My Head

SkylinesBest
Feb 20, 2004, 4:13 PM
This comes as a surprise to me... The Triad was always larger in population, as far as I can remember, unless something changed in the last 2 years and the Triangle surpassed the Triad. To my best knowledge [population-wise] the two metros are pretty close, but I do not know in terms of land, or "urbanized" areas.

It's some what misleading though. The Greensboro, CSA metro area covers more counties than Raleigh-Durham's and Charlotte's.

Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, NC
Combined Statistical Area

Burlington, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area
Greensboro-High Point, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area
Lexington-Thomasville, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Mount Airy, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Winston-Salem, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC

Albemarle, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Charlotte-Gastonia-Concord, NC-SC Metropolitan Statistical Area
Chester, SC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Lancaster, SC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Lincolnton, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Salisbury, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Shelby, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Statesville-Mooresville, NC Micropolitan

Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC

Dunn, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area
Durham, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area
Raleigh-Cary, NC Metropolitan Statistical Area

49er
Feb 20, 2004, 6:41 PM
The Triangle will outpace the Triad in growth so that 50,000 difference is really nothing to sneeze at. Does anyone have the growth rates for each metro handy?

Matthew
Feb 20, 2004, 7:56 PM
I think the Triad will hold that title for only a year or less. I found July 2002 numbers for growth and it's no where near the growth of the Triangle. I know High Point is about to get 1,000 new jobs and Winston-Salem is expected to get 1,000 new jobs, but they will only replace what was lost.

Population Growth:

DAVIE 36,770 34,835 1,935 5.6
ALAMANCE 136,144 130,794 5,350 4.1
FORSYTH 314,853 306,067 8,786 2.9
RANDOLPH 133,836 130,471 3,365 2.6
DAVIDSON 150,799 147,246 3,553 2.4
GUILFORD 428,794 421,048 7,746 1.8
YADKIN 36,958 36,348 610 1.7
STOKES 45,355 44,711 644 1.4
SURRY 72,028 71,219 809 1.1
ROCKINGHAM 92,589 91,928 661 0.7

The county I live in (Henderson) is growing faster than all but one Triad County!

HENDERSON 92,988 89,193 3,795 4.3
BUNCOMBE 210,550 206,310 4,240 2.1

Employment:

Forsyth, 5 percent
Randolph, 5 percent
Guilford, 5.3 percent
Yadkin, 5.5 percent
Davie, 6.1 percent
Stokes, 6.1 percent
Alamance, 6.5 percent
Davidson, 7.3 percent
Surry, 7.4 percent
Rockingham, 9.2 percent

The core looks healthy at 5% and part of the outer edge looks healthy. Usually 5 and below is preferred. If there are jobs, the population will grow.

I would look up Raleigh-Durham, but I don't know the counties. For the Triad, I used only the Counties on TwinCity's map.

While looking up this data, I found something intresting by accident and thought it was worth sharing! Did you know only 1 out of every 4 shoppers (24%) in Winston-Salem are from the Triad? 1 out of every 2 shoppers (51%) in Greensboro are from the Triad. It shows how many people from Wilkesboro, Boone, West Jefferson, Statesville, Hillsville, Marion and Galax are driving into Winston-Salem for their shopping. I know on past visits, I've found the high number of Virginia license plates at times almost out numbers the NC ones and you can see the App. State stickers and member of this Wilkes County organization on the backs of some cars.