PDA

View Full Version : Is Red Deer more similiar to Bismarck, ND. or Missoula, MT??

feepa
Dec 20, 2023, 8:27 PM
:shrug:

O-tacular
Dec 20, 2023, 10:16 PM
Red Deer will never rival Okotoks!

MonctonRad
Dec 20, 2023, 10:19 PM
Do people in Red Deer gravitate more to Calgary or Edmonton?

Wigs
Dec 20, 2023, 11:09 PM
All roads lead to Leduc.
Leduc No. 1 was a gusher in 1947 that turned Alberta into the Petrostate it is today

O-tacular
Dec 20, 2023, 11:12 PM
Do people in Red Deer gravitate more to Calgary or Edmonton?

It's a mix. We have an office in Red Deer. They don't look kindly on us big city folk lol! Probably an even split for hockey team support I'd think.

Red Deer is an odd place. Even weather wise. Driving down the QE2 any time in the summer the second you reach Red Deer storm clouds and hail appear out of nowhere. Also an occasional tornado.

It's basically the exact middle point of the drive to Edmonton.

ciudad_del_norte
Dec 20, 2023, 11:57 PM
The number of times I've had to pull over around Red Deer because of weather. Torrential rainstorms, hail, thick winter fog. It was the section of the drive between Calgary and Edmonton when I was doing it regularily. It also somehow manages to often be cooler than both Calgary and Edmonton rather than falling in between. I think its a combination of elevation and distance from the mountains, it seems to get the worst elements of both regions' climate.

Hali87
Dec 21, 2023, 2:19 AM
During economic boom times apparently Red Deer tends to be quite a happening place, being the midway point between Edmonton and Calgary.

With things being the way they are right now I've probably met more people in Calgary who have moved from Red Deer than from anywhere else (largely because "there's nothing to do there these days"). I would guess that about an equal number of people gravitate towards Edmonton for industrial jobs/to be closer to the oilfields.

The city itself actually reminds me of a more boom-and-bust Moncton in most ways. Similar scale and overall vibe (minus the Francophone aspect). Relatively similar downtown.

Repthe250
Dec 21, 2023, 2:56 AM
Is this post really worth being in the Canada section? Like, no offence, but who the hell cares. There is an Alberta sub forum for questions like this.

urbandreamer
Dec 21, 2023, 3:32 AM
Red Deer is the St Thomas or Lindsay of Alberta.

Dalreg
Dec 21, 2023, 4:15 AM
Is Red Deer the Prince Albert or Moose Jaw of Saskatchewan?

Rollerstud98
Dec 21, 2023, 4:54 AM
Is this post really worth being in the Canada section? Like, no offence, but who the hell cares. There is an Alberta sub forum for questions like this.

I feel this way about any city/province specific topic brought up in here. Keep it to the regional forums.

madog222
Dec 21, 2023, 5:17 AM

Tell that to the Toronto folks here. :haha:

Hali87
Dec 21, 2023, 5:19 AM
I feel this way about any city/province specific topic brought up in here. Keep it to the regional forums.

You could just not read it :shrug:

river
Dec 21, 2023, 5:32 AM

Rude, Red Deer deserves to have its own city comparison thread on the Canada Sub as much as Toronto does.

Besides the point, Red Deer is obviously more similar to Billings Montana because it's somewhat the halfway point between Bismark and Missoula.

The more important question is if Sudbury is more similar to Miami or Las Vegas

Xelebes
Dec 21, 2023, 6:23 AM
The number of times I've had to pull over around Red Deer because of weather. Torrential rainstorms, hail, thick winter fog. It was the section of the drive between Calgary and Edmonton when I was doing it regularily. It also somehow manages to often be cooler than both Calgary and Edmonton rather than falling in between. I think its a combination of elevation and distance from the mountains, it seems to get the worst elements of both regions' climate.

The esker to the east seems to trap a bit of weather as the weather in Stettler and Paintearth Counties are much more stable.