PDA

View Full Version : The Glue That Binds Us / What Unites Us

O-tacular
Dec 8, 2023, 11:14 PM
With all the division and tribal politics going on I was curious to know what fellow SSPers from the Canada Section still find common ground talking about, or just universally identify with from this site? All the recent 2 decade milestones on here make me wonder, as it has evolved what do we still have in common? For myself, and most threads in general it seems less about skyscrapers these days than when it started (not a bad thing just an observation).

niwell
Dec 8, 2023, 11:21 PM
There's a certain inertia that comes with being a part of something for so long. I'm sure other people have carved out their little corners but this one is ours. The conversation will naturally sway from the original purpose when you recognize the same posters and get a sense of what they're about.

Beyond that I do find that even when I disagree with people on here the discourse is at a higher level than most of the internet. I get the sense that I'd still be able to have a beer (or NA beverage of choice) with most people here and have a perfectly pleasant conversation.

lio45
Dec 9, 2023, 12:01 AM
“Dislike for Nickelback” gets my vote, with “dislike for soul-sucking architecture” a close second. (“Belief that our home area is the only corner of Canada that has a livable climate” is probably third.)

Architype
Dec 9, 2023, 12:11 AM
It's a toss-up between city photography and skyscraper / construction news, since there is no option for seeing how disagreeable and nitpicky people can be. ;)

Wigs
Dec 9, 2023, 12:15 AM
City photography because we temporarily forget all of the pettiness of other threads, and I think we all appreciate the beauty of Canada as a whole!
We compliment the progress of other cities, and act as cheerleader for cities other than our home Metros/regions/Provinces. Seeing the country from coast to coast helps to bind us together, despite every shortcoming, flaw, negative of the 2020s.

thurmas
Dec 9, 2023, 12:23 AM
I am not sure there's really any national binding institutions left. Back in the day you could name off hockey or eatons or grey cup or comedy or music, but now I would say its not the case. Hockey is in decline eatons gone grey cup now has a dedicated following but many in Canada hold their nose at it in preference of nfl. Comedy and music we aren't as good as what we could produce in the 80s and 90s. I would say now we are a country of regional interests whats popular in Quebec only works there, Atlantic Canada has its own things Ontario is much more a u.s. style urban type of culture in music ect... the praries has its own things be it football or curling ect.. and BC well it does whatever ha ha.

ScreamingViking
Dec 9, 2023, 12:45 AM
I find the funny stuff binds strongest.

Otherwise, there just seems to be too much "thinking" :shrug:

But I'm mostly on the Canada forum to see what's going on in other cities.

SignalHillHiker
Dec 9, 2023, 12:58 AM
For me, it's a blend between city photography and urban planning. I genuinely have a better day when I check in the morning and there's a pic post in the weather from Mc, Ardee, etc. I enjoy both good photography (like giallo) and recent photography (like MonctonRad), when someone posts something beautiful or something that was just recently taken, something about that deeply delights me.

And then the general urban stuff I love - especially mixed with photography. Things I wouldn't notice in my pics, good or bad, as they're normal to me (recent example, Molson pointing out all the Christmas candles, or a bigger example, people years ago pointing out clapboard is viewed elsewhere the way I view stucco, like the cheapest possible exterior, practically unfinished, might as well be bare insulation lol).

I've got a handful of FB friends from here and I love seeing their pics, especially if I see them on FB before here. I don't know what this "recent" thing is with me, but I apparently value it highly :haha:

Individual skyscrapers... I've kind of grown out of caring that much, probably just because we're not doing anything here lately.

OldDartmouthMark
Dec 9, 2023, 1:41 PM
To answer the question of what is the most unifying, I'd say city photography, especially in the weather thread. The Russian attack on Ukraine was the most unifying single event I've witnessed here, but other world events (such as Israel/Hamas) have been anything but unifying.

I come here to read peoples' take on Canadian politics, goings-on in local areas of the country with which I'm not very familiar, urban planning discussion, and to read up on the opinions/antics of posters with whom I've become familiar (just by reading what is written here, as I don't know anybody on skyscraper outside of the forum).

I've experienced a whole range of emotions reading the writings here over the years, but mostly it's been good... and always interesting. I've had some opinions changed, and some made stronger, but I always appreciate the mostly respectful exchanges, and the general intelligence of the forum on the whole.

MonkeyRonin
Dec 9, 2023, 8:12 PM
What binds us is that we all like this community and enjoy discussing and arguing about things with eachother. We don't have to be "united" by all agreeing with eachother and having the same opinion about something - it'd be an awfully boring forum if that were the case.

O-tacular
Dec 11, 2023, 5:38 AM
What binds us is that we all like this community and enjoy discussing and arguing about things with eachother. We don't have to be "united" by all agreeing with eachother and having the same opinion about something - it'd be an awfully boring forum if that were the case.

Yeah it does seem many (including myself) are drawn to the debates. I was thinking more in terms of the common thread of interest that keeps us all coming back like zombies the last 20 years. Speaking of which where is MIGS 347.0?

O-tacular
Dec 11, 2023, 5:41 AM
Kinda surprised diagrams got no votes. When I first joined they were a major point of interest. Lol @ Clockzilla getting 17%! Woooooooooo!!!!!

https://media.tenor.com/9Txh9knft8kAAAAM/woo-yeah.gif

https://media.tenor.com/b3mguDIeblIAAAAM/goal-goallllllll.gif

MolsonExport
Dec 11, 2023, 1:53 PM
I haven't checked out diagrams in a year or more. SSP has lost a lot of its raison d'etre. The politics (and the "culture wars") has become incredibly polarizing. There is still good discussion to be had in some threads, and I enjoy the humorous rants about and mockups of ugly urbanity.

Acajack
Dec 11, 2023, 1:53 PM
This is a very "societally-interested" forum crowd. Since cities are a big part of where society plays out, it's not surprising that this is what drew many of us here, but that the discussion has over time spilled into a gazillion other aspects of that.

hipster duck
Dec 11, 2023, 4:11 PM
Increasingly, I'm going back to my old childhood roots of just being a skyscraper and construction fanboy.

On a base level, I just really love seeing cranes in the sky and big machines moving dirt around. Even if it's for a project that I don't think will benefit society - like a supertall for billionaires to park their wealth, or a freeway expansion that will just induce demand - something in my amygdala goes off looking at diagrams of plans and pictures of construction.

And, as Canadians, one thing we should be thankful for is that increasingly if a crane is in the sky or a machine is moving dirt on the ground, it's for something that's societally positive. We need housing. We need infrastructure. Even if it's a POS design with terrible layouts, those are housing units we desperately need. We also don't build "truly bad" things any more like coal plants or expressways through vibrant neighbourhoods.

The other thing that should tie us together is that all of this construction is happening everywhere - it's kind of a rare, pan-Canadian moment. It's not just a phenomenon in Toronto or Vancouver. Halifax, Kelowna, Saskatoon, Quebec City...all these places have many projects under construction.

lio45
Dec 11, 2023, 4:21 PM
Kinda surprised diagrams got no votes. When I first joined they were a major point of interest. Lol @ Clockzilla getting 17%! Woooooooooo!!!!!"Clockzilla" and "Urban planning" were the two options I was hesitating between, because I genuinely think what unites us here the most is a shared dislike for bad architecture and bad urbanity, yet that wasn't one of the available poll answers -- but the two ones I mentioned kinda come close.

thewave46
Dec 11, 2023, 4:34 PM
A cross section of things is what brings me here.

The Venn diagram might be:

Canadian affairs/current events
Infrastructure in Canada (airports/roads/bridges/etc.)
Historical buildings/cities in Canada
Culture of the country I inhabit and its facets that are sometimes more opaque to me

There's not too many places on the internet that have the same depth on these issues.

O-tacular
Dec 11, 2023, 6:29 PM
Increasingly, I'm going back to my old childhood roots of just being a skyscraper and construction fanboy.

On a base level, I just really love seeing cranes in the sky and big machines moving dirt around. Even if it's for a project that I don't think will benefit society - like a supertall for billionaires to park their wealth, or a freeway expansion that will just induce demand - something in my amygdala goes off looking at diagrams of plans and pictures of construction.

And, as Canadians, one thing we should be thankful for is that increasingly if a crane is in the sky or a machine is moving dirt on the ground, it's for something that's societally positive. We need housing. We need infrastructure. Even if it's a POS design with terrible layouts, those are housing units we desperately need. We also don't build "truly bad" things any more like coal plants or expressways through vibrant neighbourhoods.

The other thing that should tie us together is that all of this construction is happening everywhere - it's kind of a rare, pan-Canadian moment. It's not just a phenomenon in Toronto or Vancouver. Halifax, Kelowna, Saskatoon, Quebec City...all these places have many projects under construction.

I share this trait. To an insane level. For instance, there's this massive block sized pile of dirt near my office that has slowly been moved over the last decade to cap a nearby former landfill settling pond. I get excited every time I see land moving equipment show up to start digging and hauling it away. Originally the land was zoned for retail I think but now has been changed to industrial. Curious to see what gets built there eventually. Who else gets excited about moving dirt lol?!

I also live in a developing end of the city and get to see all manner of new construction going on. I watched the South Health campus being built, then the largest YMCA in the world, now new condos and retail. I get specifics on some of the projects from Skyrise cities but many I have to try looking up.

O-tacular
Dec 11, 2023, 6:29 PM
"Clockzilla" and "Urban planning" were the two options I was hesitating between, because I genuinely think what unites us here the most is a shared dislike for bad architecture and bad urbanity, yet that wasn't one of the available poll answers -- but the two ones I mentioned kinda come close.

:haha: So which did you end up choosing?

Edit: Wow this is my 23,000'th post! SSP milestone there!

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2023, 6:36 PM
:previous:

Still a spring chicken (#33,451) :).

MolsonExport
Dec 11, 2023, 6:38 PM
^Old Fart here (43902 and counting)

MonctonRad
Dec 11, 2023, 6:40 PM

Acajack is the current champion (66,451)

Acajack
Dec 11, 2023, 6:57 PM

Acajack is the current champion (66,451)

Mostly because I break up single posts to which I respond to, with multiple posts of my own.

someone123
Dec 11, 2023, 8:20 PM
My main SSP-related interests are construction and heritage building preservation. My main internet time-waster hobby is viewing/collecting development and historic photos. I tend to like finer-grained development projects that have more of an impact on urbanism than large and tall buildings per se. I find it really hard to be excited by the shopping mall condo towers around here for example, while the east side of Vancouver has a lot more construction projects I like.

I also find the workings of government, finance, housing markets, etc. pretty interesting and there are some good related nuggets on here (and in the local sections politicians and developers sometimes participate; the Halifax local has had posts from a few councillors and a number of developers... I wouldn't be surprised if there was a little influence by osmosis on local politics from SSP discussions).

AuxTown
Dec 12, 2023, 12:08 AM
There's a certain inertia that comes with being a part of something for so long. I'm sure other people have carved out their little corners but this one is ours. The conversation will naturally sway from the original purpose when you recognize the same posters and get a sense of what they're about.

Beyond that I do find that even when I disagree with people on here the discourse is at a higher level than most of the internet. I get the sense that I'd still be able to have a beer (or NA beverage of choice) with most people here and have a perfectly pleasant conversation.

100p agree. When we have our Ottawa meetups I love the diversity of people in attendance, how everyone contributes to the conversation and how civil everything always is. For whatever reason, this forum has attracted an amazingly intelligent (excluding myself?) and friendly bunch.

EpicPonyTime
Dec 12, 2023, 6:24 PM
I'm primarily active in the sports-related threads. The business of sports is fascinating and I enjoy reading other people's takes on the management of leagues or proposals for new stadiums or sports infrastructure. I'll occasionally dip into the construction threads to get a sense of what is going on in the cities I'm interested in but it's hard to contribute as much there since I find most contributors there to be highly versed in the subject.

Bcasey25raptor
Dec 16, 2023, 5:29 PM
I rarely post but browse a lot. This is the only place online I can keep up with my birth town Kelownas projects. I also enjoy the weather thread and the Vancouver sub forum.

I’m into skyscrapers and urban planning. Forums are a dead medium unfortunately, but I’m sticking around to try and keep it from dying.

urbandreamer
Dec 16, 2023, 11:23 PM
This forum is basically like a small town Tim Hortons: lots of old folks bitching about things they hate, the weather and politics. A Tim Hortons in a small town along the Trans Canada Hwy, like Cobden, Ontario or Indian Head SK or Plessisville QC.