PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye

Pages : [1] 2

thurmas
Nov 26, 2023, 6:24 PM
Hi guys I don't like writing this but my battle with cancer has recently taken a very bad turn. I don't think I have much time left. I just would like to thank you for our discussions on politics, architecture and sports its been a great little forum to shoot the breeze. All the best!

Antigonish
Nov 26, 2023, 6:33 PM
Hi guys I don't like writing this but my battle with cancer has recently taken a very bad turn. I don't think I have much time left. I just would like to thank you for our discussions on politics, architecture and sports its been a great little forum to shoot the breeze. All the best!

I'm so sorry about what you're going through, thurmas. I'll be praying for you.

SignalHillHiker
Nov 26, 2023, 6:40 PM
That really sucks, thurmas. I hope something changes for you for the better.

whatnext
Nov 26, 2023, 7:03 PM
Very sorry to hear that. For what it's worth, I'm sending some positive thoughts your way.

GeneralLeeTPHLS
Nov 26, 2023, 7:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of this, I'm wishing you well thurmas, I hope you can beat this. God bless you, and thank you for your contributions on this forum, and your perspective. Take care.

Acajack
Nov 26, 2023, 7:09 PM
So sorry to hear that man. I wish you courage and strength.

MonctonRad
Nov 26, 2023, 7:12 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Thurmas. I've always enjoyed your contributions, which, on the whole have been almost uniformly positive and have added to the discussion on hand.

I don't know the nature of your cancer, but, presumably your MD has told you that it is terminal and that there is nothing more that can be done. This is tragic, but, again, doesn't necessarily mean that you are immediately at death's door. You might still have months of quality life left (depending on the type of tumour, extent of disease and location of involvement). Please try to keep your spirits up and your attitude positive. When the time comes, I trust you to accept the end with grace and dignity.

There is such a thing on SSP as Honoured Member Status. It is reserved for deceased members who have made a positive and meaningful contribution to the forum (search fenwick16, who was made an honoured member by the Halifax subforum). I would be willing to nominate you for this honour when the time comes.

You can PM me when you think the time is appropriate, and I will make the nomination to a moderator.

MonkeyRonin
Nov 26, 2023, 7:16 PM
Damn. That must be tough, but hopefully there's still a chance to pull through. You'll certainly be missed here.

acottawa
Nov 26, 2023, 7:19 PM
I am very sorry to hear that. I hope this forum served as a bit of a distraction in recent times.

someone123
Nov 26, 2023, 7:25 PM
Really sorry to hear that. I've appreciated your contribution to the forum over the years.

Wigs
Nov 26, 2023, 7:28 PM
I've enjoyed your input, wit, humour on here for years, thurmas. Even when we didn't agree you managed to make me crack a smile and other times made me chuckle or burst out laughing.

I'm very sorry to hear that you've been dealt an awful hand. :(

I hope somehow you are able to come through or at least live much longer than you currently expect.

Please try not to lose hope, man. We're all pulling for you. *SSP Canada grouphug* :grouphug:

thurmas
Nov 26, 2023, 7:35 PM
Thank you very much guys

Truenorth00
Nov 26, 2023, 7:37 PM

Genuinely sad and sorry to hear this.

There are never great words to comfort. But the hopeful in me will always keep hoping.

Thank you for contributing here. Our lives and perspectives are better for you having shared yours.

Justanothermember
Nov 26, 2023, 7:40 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. I wish you all the best and will send a prayer your way.

Take care.

Nouvellecosse
Nov 26, 2023, 7:59 PM
Oh wow I'm so sorry to hear this. I hadn't heard about your struggle so this is very shocking. I hope you're able to pull through somehow.

thebasketballgeek
Nov 26, 2023, 8:04 PM
I’m so sorry to hear this. Even when we might have disagreed on topics I appreciated your perspective and insights. I wish you the best going forward and am praying for you. In the meantime, make sure you enjoy your remaining time in the Peg and take advantage of the Great Manitoba outdoors while you can.

Berklon
Nov 26, 2023, 8:20 PM
So sorry to read this.

Hoping for the best outcome for you and your family.

giallo
Nov 26, 2023, 8:33 PM
I'm incredibly sad to hear about this. I had no idea you were dealing with cancer, and I hope that you can beat it. I truly hope so.

You've been an amazing part of this forum, thurmas.

VANRIDERFAN
Nov 26, 2023, 9:05 PM
Fair Winds and Following Seas Thurmas both in this life and your next journey whenever that time comes.

big T
Nov 26, 2023, 9:18 PM
That really sucks, I’m so sorry to hear this.

I always enjoyed reading your posts here, you always struck me as a fun and reasonable guy. Thank you for all you brought to the forum over the years! Wishing you the best under the circumstances.

O-tacular
Nov 26, 2023, 9:21 PM
Was really hoping the title of this thread wasn’t what it seemed. So sorry to hear this news thurmas. I’ve always appreciated your humour, approachability and genuine personality. You’ve contributed to so many threads, especially for the prairies.

Wishing you the best in this life and the next (though hopefully that’s later than it seems).

I know forums are the last bastion of anonymity, but if you are willing it would be nice to see the man behind the Bret Hart avatar.

Gresto
Nov 26, 2023, 9:31 PM
Not much to add that hasn't been said already. I wish you well.

MolsonExport
Nov 26, 2023, 9:37 PM

Oh man, that is so sad to hear.

905er
Nov 26, 2023, 9:44 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your health struggles. I sincerely hope that wherever your journey takes you, you will be in good place, be it here or in an afterlife. I hope the bravery of your post serves as a reminder to all of us here on this forum to be kind to one another, always.

ToxiK
Nov 26, 2023, 9:57 PM
I am really sorry to hear that. There is not much to say to that kind of news.

Bon courage !

zoomer
Nov 26, 2023, 10:22 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news thurmas :( Although I haven’t interacted directly with you, I know over the many years here that when I see your name posting it’s a good thing and I’ve enjoyed your contributions here. You are definitely part of this community and always will be going forward, I love that idea of honoured member. I wish you and your family peace.

EpicPonyTime
Nov 26, 2023, 10:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your health problems, thurmas. Keep fighting, and know that we all appreciate the time you've spent with us here. I've always enjoyed discussing the CFL with you; seeing Bret Hart is always a sign of worthwhile commentary.

casper
Nov 26, 2023, 11:17 PM
Sad news. I do hope you well.

Architype
Nov 26, 2023, 11:28 PM
Thank you thurmas for your dedication and contributions to the forum for over 20 years. I hope you can have some sense of peace in your troubled time, I think all here appreciate the sense of sharing, support, meeting of minds, and community, so continue to be comfortable and sharing with us whatever you like.

Fabricio JF
Nov 26, 2023, 11:32 PM
@Wigs, thanks (He posted on other forums asking to give you strength here)

I'm sorry to read this. Illnesses seem to radiate grief.

One piece of advice is: Keep thinking about positive things and live each moment intensely regardless of what happens.

Loco101
Nov 26, 2023, 11:34 PM
I'm very sorry to be reading that thurmas. I have already said a prayer and wish you peace and hopefully not any more awful pain. Your comments on here have always been interesting and made our forum discussions more fun.

I hope that you are able to spend time with those close to you.

AuxTown
Nov 26, 2023, 11:49 PM
Thinking of you and appreciating the great group of interesting folks we have here on SSP. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know during such an obviously tough time for you, Thurmas. Grateful for all you have contributed to our little online world :cheers:

Djeffery
Nov 26, 2023, 11:58 PM
So sorry to hear this news. I'm a newbie compared to most on here so I haven't had the pleasure of interacting with you for the last couple decades. You are definitely one of the good guys. I wish you and your family peace and comfort through this battle.

softee
Nov 27, 2023, 12:41 AM
Very sorry to hear this sad news, thurmas. Thank you for all of your invaluable contributions to this forum for the more than 20 years that we've both been members. Stay strong & with any luck you'll be kicking around Winnipeg & this great little forum longer than you think.

Rollerstud98
Nov 27, 2023, 1:12 AM
Sorry to hear this Thurmas.

WarrenC12
Nov 27, 2023, 1:44 AM
Very sorry to read this thurmas. Stay strong and best wishes, hoping for a positive outcome.

phone
Nov 27, 2023, 2:00 AM
Wishing you all the best. We haven’t really interacted, but FWIW you are one of my favourite contributors to this forum. Always concise and thoughtful, and always distinctly “thurmas”.

WinCitySparky
Nov 27, 2023, 3:40 AM
Thanks for all the great contributions brother, am sorry to hear your journey is ending. We’ll all miss you around here. Holding out for a hopeful outcome, but if it doesn’t happen, enjoy the long sleep friend. Thanks for giving us a chance to tip our hats in respect.

Boreal
Nov 27, 2023, 5:01 AM
For every person who has commented, I suspect that there is a multiplier of those who have not, as I frequently haven't when reading through various digital spaces. I hope there is some comfort in knowing that for every person who makes mention of an impact you've made, there are many others who you have been able to touch in some small way.

I wish you all the comfort and compassion possible.

Xing
Nov 27, 2023, 5:12 AM
While our paths may not have crossed much, it’s great to see everyone here demonstrating you are not alone. Sending love your way, SSP brother.

Atrial78
Nov 27, 2023, 5:23 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that thurmas. Thank you for sharing part of your life with us here at SSP. Best wishes to you.

Jeff
Nov 27, 2023, 5:26 AM
One of the OG Winnipeg posters. Your never-ending passion for your hometown shall endure. It was always a pleasure to read your contributions and insight. Rest easy and hope you are surrounded by love and peace.

isaidso
Nov 27, 2023, 5:42 AM
Terrible news thurmas. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Metro-One
Nov 27, 2023, 6:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your condition. I hope there is still a chance for things to turn around in your favor. Best of luck!

OldDartmouthMark
Nov 27, 2023, 6:30 AM
Damn. So sorry to read this, Thurmas. Although I don't know you personally, I've always enjoyed your posts and felt that you are one of the good ones.

I've lost some really good people in my life to cancer, so I'm familiar with some of the struggles. My thoughts are with you. Take care.

BAKGUY
Nov 27, 2023, 6:32 AM
Sorry to hear this.
Hoping there might be a chance for a better outcome.

pegcityboy
Nov 27, 2023, 6:57 AM
Very sorry to hear this Thurmas , liked reading your various comments and opinions , keep fighting thoughts are with you !

Biff
Nov 27, 2023, 2:42 PM
Enjoy your family.

Thanks for the long time contributions to this forum.

hipster duck
Nov 27, 2023, 2:55 PM
I’m so sorry to hear about this, Thurmas. I’ve really enjoyed your contributions over the years, especially in the politics thread. Please take the time to take care of yourself and do the things that really matter for you.

bomberjet
Nov 27, 2023, 2:57 PM
thurmas, so sorry to hear this.

I've enjoyed the content and discussions you've shared on the forum. Hoping the best for you and your family, wherever your journey goes.

Nashe
Nov 27, 2023, 3:07 PM
Very sorry to hear, Thurmas. Going to miss you.

kool maudit
Nov 27, 2023, 3:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear. I know that we have not interacted directly, but your contributions have been a huge part of making this forum what it is, and why we all come here so regularly. I wish you the best in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

niwell
Nov 27, 2023, 3:34 PM
Oh wow this is incredibly sad to hear Thurmas. We haven't interacted much but I have appreciated your posts over the years - definitely a mainstay of the Canada subforum. Wishing you the best with everything going on.

drew
Nov 27, 2023, 3:40 PM
Thurmas - you are a long time, respected member of the Winnipeg based forumers and will be missed. I wish you well, and for as much time with your family and friends as possible.

ScreamingViking
Nov 27, 2023, 3:42 PM
I'm sorry thurmas. Thank you for telling us, and I wish all the best to you and your family and friends.

north 42
Nov 27, 2023, 4:09 PM
So very sorry to hear this. May you and your family have peace and togetherness in this very tough and sad time.

Harrison
Nov 27, 2023, 4:16 PM
Best wishes Thurmas, hoping all of the best for your and thank you for your amazing contributions to this forum over the last 21 years, you will be missed dearly.

peg
Nov 27, 2023, 4:20 PM
Sorry to hear this Thermos - It's been great to have you around here. Take care and wishing you and your family all the best

Winnipeg Grump
Nov 27, 2023, 5:15 PM
Aw crap! Sorry to hear the news, Thurmas. You've always made good contributions to the forum over the years and will be missed.

Try to find some moments of joy in the time you have remaining with us.

lio45
Nov 27, 2023, 5:17 PM
So sorry to hear this, I was sure you had managed to beat it (if I'm not mistaken, you did share "good" news a while ago about your battle against cancer). I'll echo the others, you are a really thoughtful and highly respected contributor -- you're one of a handful of SSPers with whom I very rarely disagreed, regardless of the subject!

Hoping for a positive outcome :) if nothing else you know you have a bunch of fellow SSPers sending positive waves your way!

Brule-le
Nov 27, 2023, 5:17 PM
Sorry to hear this Thurmas. I'm a longtime lurker and I know you have made an impact on this forum. Be well.

O-tacular
Nov 27, 2023, 5:53 PM
I think we're almost the same age. My heart breaks for you. This song was on heavy rotation when my grandmaman passed this spring. I don't know your musical taste but it's about their mother dying of cancer and about transition, grief and yes survival beyond death. I wish you well in your journey and may you find peace.

7j03lu6SBR8

Gravity Wins
Nov 27, 2023, 6:46 PM
Thoughts are with you, thurmas

TorontoDrew
Nov 27, 2023, 6:53 PM
Thurman, I know it must have been tough to share this with us. I hope you get to have a great time with you family and friends over the up coming Holiday. Enjoy each day and try to have as much fun as you can.

Jammon
Nov 27, 2023, 6:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Thurmas. My thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself and get out there and enjoy every little bit life has to offer.

Authentic_City
Nov 27, 2023, 8:08 PM
I'm very sorry to hear this. Thanks for sharing about this. I appreciated reading all your comments over the years. Best wishes to you and your family.

OTA in Winnipeg
Nov 27, 2023, 8:20 PM
So sorry to hear this thurmas. I wish you well on your journey.

Xelebes
Nov 27, 2023, 8:42 PM
Well, if at least it brings you comfort, it was good conversation we have had and I wish for more. But if this this the end, goody bye and godspeed.

WhipperSnapper
Nov 27, 2023, 9:03 PM
Wish you the best quality of life until that day you sit down with the grand architect of the sky

P&M40BELOW
Nov 27, 2023, 9:17 PM
Thurmas, I've always enjoyed your input into the site discussions.

I hope that you are at peace with life's journey. Every day is a blessing. I hope that if life is coming to a shorter conclusion than anticipated that it was filled with lots of positive events and memories with friends and family.

All the best.

J.OT13
Nov 27, 2023, 9:25 PM
Thurmas, I hope you have the chance to spend the holiday season with your family and enjoy every moment of it. Wishing you a peaceful journey through this final chapter.

Sounds like you've made quite an impact on many of us over the last 20 years. You will not be soon forgotten. :(

dmacc
Nov 27, 2023, 9:27 PM
You were part of what made me enjoy coming to this forum. You will be missed.

Hatchet
Nov 27, 2023, 9:32 PM
Longtime lurker, first time poster… Wish you all the best in the remainder of this life, and hope the next life treats you well. Peace.

SFUVancouver
Nov 27, 2023, 9:34 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your sad circumstances, Thurmas. I hope that you and your family are able to spend as much time together as possible. I am certain that you will be missed more, and have touched more lives, than you can ever know.

Hecate
Nov 27, 2023, 9:48 PM
I won’t lie, this was tough to hear. I have been reading your comments on here for almost two decades, you have been such an integral part of the winnipeg skyscraper community, it will not be the same. Thank you for your years of interesting and thoughtful comments, ideas and opinions, I wish there could be many more. All the best good man! May you be surrounded with courage, strength, and love as you face these challenging times.

theman23
Nov 27, 2023, 11:06 PM
I hope you’re comfortable and at peace where ever you are. I don’t think I’ve ever responded to many of your posts but I always felt that you were reasonable and level headed. Im sorry this is happening to you, but know that you’re a valuable member of the community who will be remembered and missed.

urbandreamer
Nov 28, 2023, 12:35 AM
I didn't really know you, but as someone who recently lost my mother to cancer, is it better to know your prognosis or not? We didn't get a final diagnosis until two days before her death, so it was shocking and upsetting. I hope you've got your estate wishes detailed and really rather than respond to our posts, please spend as much time with those close to you as possible.

1ajs
Nov 28, 2023, 1:06 AM
the clocks that tick
on a tune of the heart
beating to the drum of the street
as the winds pass the praries eye
seting suns crest on crest of the eye
time hort times blessed
to go wild
to guide a soul
to the one a sense to peac will settle

the peac that will come the chaos to fallow it will be ok they will heal it better to love and be loved

https://live.staticflickr.com/7263/7522874580_289397b0a2_o.jpg

that truely sucks
anyhow thanks for the fish cheers may it be as peacfull as it can be cant imagin the chaos this has brought to u and those close

thanks for being apart of this place for the last 20+ yrs imagin u wwere at that first meetup with andy6 and few others at portage place back in the day or the few kings head gatherings over the years cheers to life and to the next adventure crazy how time has flown by

peac

Dengler Avenue
Nov 28, 2023, 1:14 AM
I am sorry to hear man.

cllew
Nov 28, 2023, 2:20 AM
Sorry to hear this. I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years

ssiguy
Nov 28, 2023, 3:33 AM
I am so sorry to hear this and we will all miss you. Your thought provoking and well measured comments even during such a difficult time is testament to your strength of character.

I am sending my best wishes to you and your family and if your time has come know that you are going to a more loving and divine place and you will see your family again and renew your wonderful journey with them there.

ZeDgE
Nov 28, 2023, 4:27 AM
Wow. You are a staple of this place. So sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you and your family and friends. Not sure what else to say.

BlackDog204
Nov 28, 2023, 12:51 PM

God bless you.

I was honoured to debate with you on many Winnipeg-related topics.

thewave46
Nov 28, 2023, 3:11 PM
A quiet moment, the din fades.
A stillness in time, a moment to reflect;
It was good to have known you,
Enjoying the journey along the way.

blueandgoldguy
Nov 28, 2023, 7:01 PM
I'm very sorry to hear that your health has taken a turn for the worse Thurmas. I always enjoyed reading your posts and I'm sure the person behind them was a kind and noble spirit. I hope by some miracle you are able to beat cancer.

flar
Nov 28, 2023, 7:07 PM
Sorry to hear this thurmas, you will be missed

shappy
Nov 28, 2023, 7:38 PM
That's difficult news - very sorry to hear. Wishing you and your family the best.

chris08876
Nov 28, 2023, 8:05 PM
Very sorry to hear.

But alas we will all join you in time as we all return back to the Earth and never really die as we are connected. Ashes to Ashes. Your journey might only be beginning. I wish you courage and strength.

HomeInMyShoes
Nov 28, 2023, 8:19 PM
We will miss you thurmas. Thank you for all your contributions to this forum.

MayDay
Nov 28, 2023, 11:16 PM
For all the things that people criticize about the internet, it’s times like this that you realize that even if none of us ever meet in person, forums like this can create a true sense of community with people from around the world (or at least the continent).

Been a forumer for over 25 years and it’s been “all the feels” seeing people join, grow up, experience the ups and downs of life - thurmas, as you can see, you’ve clearly been a great contributor here, thank you. Sending love and light, and wishing you and yours comfort and peace.

Luisito
Nov 29, 2023, 2:19 AM

Sending good vibes and prayers your way. We didn't interact very often but we're in the same city so If you need me to pick something up for you or you need anything let me know. Don't hesitate to send me a message.

ericmacm
Nov 29, 2023, 2:58 AM
I am sorry to hear thurmas, I wish you and your family the best.

Dwils01
Nov 29, 2023, 3:00 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this Thurmas. Wishing you all the best. I always enjoyed reading your posts on this forum.

TimB09
Nov 29, 2023, 2:44 PM
Thanks for all the discussion in the CFL thread thurmas.

Take the time spend with family and friends if you are able. You are in my prayers.

samne
Nov 29, 2023, 4:05 PM
Really sorry to hear this Thurmas. You’ve been a fixture on here as long as I can remember. Stay strong and hope you’re able to spend time with the people you care about.

thurmas
Nov 29, 2023, 9:32 PM
Thank you guys all so much for the kind words thoughts and prayers it means a lot. Its been a rough week I had to go to the emergency in Winkler Manitoba on Monday where I got ct scans and found out how much my cancer progressed. Its night and day the quality of service and lack of wait times at a rural hospital compared to a winnipeg hospital. In Winkler with waits CT scans and release all done in 4.5 hours. In winnipeg would be a 28 hour wait in a hallway and likely 3 day stay in a bed. Anywho i see my oncologist on Wednesday Dec 6th to see what hospice options they can offer me going forward. Thanks again guys.

harls
Nov 29, 2023, 9:52 PM
I recall you mentioning your sickness in a thread not too long ago. I can't add to what has already been said. Hope you find strength and stay positive.

StEC
Nov 29, 2023, 10:13 PM
Hey thurmas I don't know you or think we've ever had any interactions on here as I only stick to the Hamilton sub-forum... but damn dude I'm sorry to hear this. Cancer has taken too many people in my family and I know the battle people go through all too well.

I'm wishing you all the strength in the world right now to put up the good fight! Wishing your inner circle strength right now as well.

Black Star
Nov 29, 2023, 10:29 PM
This is devastating news to hear this thurmas. My young son just beat cancer this year. It seems that it's everywhere and it affects so many of our loved ones. I hope the remaining days of your life are filled with love peace and comfort. I will be praying for you and praying for your family. 🙏

I hope cancer gets cancer.

borkborkbork
Nov 30, 2023, 12:24 AM
I wish you comfort, joyful reflection, and peace as you navigate the tough road ahead. You've always been a valued and thoughtful contributor here and my thoughts are with you.