PDA

View Full Version : Where Do We Go From Here (the potential end of SSP)?

giallo
Oct 18, 2023, 4:01 PM
You may have noticed that SSP isn't running well as of late. I see the "database error" message more and more frequently, and messages to the owner and webmaster aren't being responded to. It's starting to become clear that this rickety old website that we love could very well be on its last legs.

I wanted to start this thread as a way to bring awareness that maybe one day soon, this site will just cease to exist without warning, and if that's the case, where do we go? I don't really care about the other forums here, but I care deeply about the Canada section.

One member in the 'forum Issues' discussion mentioned urbanplanet.org. It seems like a decent enough place to host potentially hundreds of new members.

Any other suggestions?

Dengler Avenue
Oct 18, 2023, 4:15 PM
So it wasn’t just me, eh?

O-tacular
Oct 18, 2023, 4:20 PM
I've been noticing the errors as well. Damn I hope not. This site and more specifically the Canada section, has become such a part of my daily routine that I would feel quite sad to see it go. I know a handful of forumers outside SSP but I really love the discussions and interactions on here. Been on this site for a couple decades almost. I go to skyrise cities for actual construction updates in Calgary, but it lacks the organic conversations on here.

Alas, Clockzilla would also be lost.

hipster duck
Oct 18, 2023, 4:27 PM
Yup, I'm in the same boat. Whenever I have a break at work or I need some mental stimulation I log onto this site, and I only post in the Canada section.

Sometimes I post in the city discussions page, but arguing over census statistics from US Midwestern cities I don't care about doesn't exactly get me going. My City Photos is a shadow of its former self.

And, yeah, I have noticed all the glitches recently. If we migrate our Canada page discussions somewhere else, I'll happily ditch SSP forever.

Acajack
Oct 18, 2023, 4:35 PM
https://www.city-data.com/forum/canada/ ?

O-tacular
Oct 18, 2023, 4:40 PM
https://www.city-data.com/forum/canada/ ?

What a weird site. There's a sex offenders section. Also for supposedly having data about cities it lists Calgary's population from 2011 which is several hundred thousand less than today (actually 500K less for metro population).

Out of curiosity how many forums are you on Acajack?

lio45
Oct 18, 2023, 4:44 PM
Problem with City-Data is that moderation is absolutely awful there (heavy handed and idiotic).

Something that would work (even though I’m sure the community here won’t pick that as our top / consensus Plan B migration choice) would be the Canada section of mtlurb (basically dead now, so ready for us all to move in!)

https://mtlurb.com/forum/38-toronto-et-le-reste-du-canada/

MonctonianSentinel01
Oct 18, 2023, 4:47 PM
Is there no modern version of SSP? City Data and Mtlurb are almost as old as SSP, 2005 and 2007 respectfully. Are those sites going to be facing the same problems as SSP just around the corner? Just a thought.

le calmar
Oct 18, 2023, 4:48 PM
City Data is the one I had in mind as well. I did create an account there but I’m not active on it. It was more of a Plan B in case SSP was going to cease to exist. It is to be noted that everything development/urban affairs related to the City of Ottawa is housed on SSP. Someone will also have to figure where those discussions will be taking place in the future.

Innsertnamehere
Oct 18, 2023, 4:54 PM
Is there no modern version of SSP? City Data and Mtlurb are almost as old as SSP, 2005 and 2007 respectfully. Are those sites going to be facing the same problems as SSP just around the corner? Just a thought.

Forums as a whole are largely considered "old news" in internet terms. An old-boys club in many ways.

Traffic on SSP has declined massively since I joined in 2010. Outside of the Canada section the rest of the website is actually pretty quiet, with a lot of the traffic shifting to local websites for individual cities (UT, MTLurb, WaterlooRegionConnected, etc.).

SSC was a decent option, but since that Toronto-based company bought it a few years ago and converted it to the more modern forum software, it's been a nightmare to navigate. It should be a more reliable site long-term however as it is corporately owned. I rarely visited it before the buyout, but have stopped completely since.

In reality, if SSP disappears, I'll likely end up posting only on UrbanToronto.

Acajack
Oct 18, 2023, 4:55 PM
What a weird site. There's a sex offenders section. Also for supposedly having data about cities it lists Calgary's population from 2011 which is several hundred thousand less than today (actually 500K less for metro population).

Out of curiosity how many forums are you on Acajack?

Only a couple but you guys are lucky that this the one I tend to frequent the most!

The City Data statistics section is junk. I never go there.

Though I never go on the diagrams section here either.

MonctonRad
Oct 18, 2023, 5:03 PM
There is a Facebook group which deals heavily with development news in NB that I also frequent. This is likely where I would go.

The Facebook group however is heavily populated with the usual Facebook crowd of cranks and discontents, and there is almost no quality discourse on the site, but, it is a decent place to trade development news.

I post mostly in the Atlantic Canada section, so, while I would miss the Canada section, I think I could survive without it.

So, are the owner and admins completely unaware of the increasing instability of the site, or, do they just don't care???

O-tacular
Oct 18, 2023, 5:06 PM
What are some references from SSP that no one outside this site would know? Will that be how we determine if members of other forums came from here? Will Migs start populating any new site with hundreds of aliases that get banned?

ssiguy
Oct 18, 2023, 5:36 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only one who has been having problems with the site.

For me it won't be SSC as I was banned 4 months ago. I made the comment that China's population has probably {according to most non-CCP demographers} been declining since 2018 and could be 50 to 100 million smaller than reported. For years the number of birth certificates and child benefit outlays have been significantly higher than the number of kids actually being registered for school. Many people are buying birth certificates and are using it as a way to receive gov't subsidies. It's well documented and even Beijing has noted it as being a problem but it was considered "anti-China" and hence I was barred. It is so obscenely censored that anything but a discussion about the weather can get you barred.

CityData maybe but it is essentially just for American content. Probably UrbanToronto.

1overcosc
Oct 18, 2023, 5:42 PM
I think we on Canada section probably make up half the site's traffic if not more.

This is one of the very few corners of the internet where actual discussion can happen without it either a) devolving into angry name calling and personal attacks (like Twitter) or b) going the other way and becoming an echo chamber (like Reddit).

Especially Canada specific stuff like the impacts of our immigration policy, the housing disaster, the encouraging shift to midrise zoning, and whatnot. Most corners of the internet where these discussions happen in English are overrun with Americans.

Coldrsx
Oct 18, 2023, 5:55 PM
Say it ain't so, but yes, I'm feeling that too these days from the site.

It's been such a mainstay in my personal and professional life for two decades and has allowed me to meet a lot of close friends to this day.

With the Edmonton section very quiet, I regularly use Skyrisecities now. It's active, a modern site and complimentary to this forum.

Here's hoping we are wrong, but either way, it's been a good run on SSP.

niwell
Oct 18, 2023, 5:58 PM
I've definitely noticed the increasing downtime due to "database issues" which can be frustrating. Also rarely post or even browse outside of the Canada subforum.

I'd probably move over to urbantoronto if absolutely necessary but prefer discussion here. I generally like older format forums to newer ones including reddit. A well curated Twitter feed is good for information but not much else, and even that's falling apart now (for anything beyond entertainment reasons).

Taeolas
Oct 18, 2023, 5:59 PM
I've only really been active in the Canada and Atlantic Canada sections, but I'd really miss it if they were gone. It would be nice if the site would update the forum software though; it would make things more stable, give us better tools for sharing and discussing things and hopefully make it more secure.

If SSP does eventually collapse, maybe someone is tech savy enough to launch a Canadian SSP page to try and carry the torch?

kool maudit
Oct 18, 2023, 5:59 PM
What a weird site. There's a sex offenders section.

worst forum meet ever

Innsertnamehere
Oct 18, 2023, 6:17 PM
skyrisecities is a good alternative - modern software and it's built to actually support regional forums as well.

WhipperSnapper
Oct 18, 2023, 6:50 PM
This happens to every site, no?

My understanding is limited however the site must have been upgraded to another platform at some point post Covid as the connection is now shown as secure. Same old graphics though.

New sties

Skyrise is older but well maintained. Agoramtl has only been around a few years.

manny_santos
Oct 18, 2023, 7:08 PM
I think we on Canada section probably make up half the site's traffic if not more.

This is one of the very few corners of the internet where actual discussion can happen without it either a) devolving into angry name calling and personal attacks (like Twitter) or b) going the other way and becoming an echo chamber (like Reddit).

Especially Canada specific stuff like the impacts of our immigration policy, the housing disaster, the encouraging shift to midrise zoning, and whatnot. Most corners of the internet where these discussions happen in English are overrun with Americans.

My biggest issue with SSP is that it’s not very mobile friendly. It’s also one of the few sites I’ve consistently visited since 2006 that hasn’t changed whatsoever. (Which is nostalgic as it brings me back to my university days, when I used to post on here from one of the computer labs at Western)

I much prefer the Canada forum here over the r/Canada subreddit on Reddit. That sub frequently gets toxic and comments are frequently about the same two topics - hatred of Justin Trudeau and anger about immigration. There’s very little intellectually stimulating discussion there, it’s mostly just people agreeing with each other about those two topics.

Some of the Canadian city and province subs on Reddit aren’t as right wing, in fact some are hard left and any views that don’t conform to the hivemind either get heavily downvoted or get removed by moderators. Posts and comments are very heavily curated by Reddit mods.

I must say, we have a great moderation team here.

Innsertnamehere
Oct 18, 2023, 7:12 PM
My biggest issue with SSP is that it’s not very mobile friendly. It’s also one of the few sites I’ve consistently visited since 2006 that hasn’t changed whatsoever. (Which is nostalgic as it brings me back to my university days, when I used to post on here from one of the computer labs at Western)

I much prefer the Canada forum here over the r/Canada subreddit on Reddit. That sub frequently gets toxic and comments are frequently about the same two topics - hatred of Justin Trudeau and anger about immigration. There’s very little intellectually stimulating discussion there, it’s mostly just people agreeing with each other about those two topics.

Some of the Canadian city and province subs on Reddit aren’t as right wing, in fact some are hard left and any views that don’t conform to the hivemind either get heavily downvoted or get removed by moderators. Posts and comments are very heavily curated by Reddit mods.

r/Ontario back in the day used to be extremely conservative - almost hilariously so at times, but has over the last 5 years or so become extremely left wing with everything the PC government does being nothing but pure evil and the NDP being the saviors of the province. It's kind of hilarious, as in the ~2015 era that sub was one of the only conservative parts of Canadian reddit.

Acajack
Oct 18, 2023, 7:19 PM

The best thing about moderation on here is that it's lightly moderated.

Though we've had some ups and downs, and recently some of the more biased and heavy-handed moderators have moved on from the site it seems.

Harrison
Oct 18, 2023, 7:40 PM
Say it ain't so, but yes, I'm feeling that too these days from the site.

It's been such a mainstay in my personal and professional life for two decades and has allowed me to meet a lot of close friends to this day.

With the Edmonton section very quiet, I regularly use Skyrisecities now. It's active, a modern site and complimentary to this forum.

Here's hoping we are wrong, but either way, it's been a good run on SSP.

Same, I have been on here a lot longer than Skyrise Cities but I prefer the latter's photo upload process, as images are stored locally and you don't need to use an image hosting service like on here (reason why I post many more photos on SRC than on SSP).

Regardless, I enjoy the Canada forum as well as the Edmonton local and will specifically miss the Weather thread as it's been very interesting to get daily updates from forumers across Canada (as well as the famous freeze list!).

That is, unless SSP manages to keep going. We will see what happens...

kool maudit
Oct 18, 2023, 7:49 PM
Once a Denver, then an Atlanta, then maybe even a Brooklyn or Chicago, but we are now a desultory Saint Louis.

WhipperSnapper
Oct 18, 2023, 8:15 PM
Administration is active in approving drawings and making database corrections posted in the associate thread in the forum. I'm still more concern with the longevity of the database. The interest in lists of high rises peaked over 20 years ago and has been in continual decline ever since. Threads based on the number of Fortune 500 companies easily outlast any high rise statistical thread in the main section.

The data has value as seen with the sale of Emporis.com. That has me concerned with Skyrise which is building up its database of information to an eventual sale that only wants the data. I don't see subscription access to the data being fulfilled without our community being interested.

ScreamingViking
Oct 19, 2023, 12:34 PM
I don't know if Canadian football fans will remember the "CFL Zone"... it had discussions about all kinds of topics not just related to the CFL (e.g., I was active there post-9/11, and the thread about that was quite lively). After it closed up, I recall feeling a bit 'lost' from withdrawal, but I got over it. The Ticats.ca website forum was pale by comparison, full of opposing views and chatter about how bad things were for the Ticats in the early-2000s through mid-2010s, and that we need this player or that player to turn things around, and much angst about the stadium plans too; it became excruciating to read some of the posts.

This forum was probably the next I started reading and later participating in from time to time, which has become more regular in recent years. If it shuts down, I'll have a lot more "free" time for productive pursuits (at least that's the theory :D ). I'll still look for development news and proposals, but I can't imagine joining another forum.

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2023, 12:38 PM
FWIW, since this thread has been created, I have noted that SSP has become more reliable and less glitchy again. Coincidence????

On the other hand, the Canada Population Clock has stopped working. Maybe JT and the Liberals have figured out that it is not a good thing letting people know how rapidly the country is growing...... :rolleyes:

jonny24
Oct 19, 2023, 1:30 PM
I'd hate to lose this forum, comments about the quality of discussion are bang on. I use Reddit quite a bit, but not for most things we discuss here. R/canada and R/ontario are trash (in completely different directions), not to mention it's not a great format for ongoing topics like most of the big threads and project threads here. Old school forums are much better for organization.

Ideally we should try to get some sort of statement of intent from the site owners/operators, maybe they do intend to keep going? Or get a timeline for things closing down, or at least a commitment to provide notice so we could organize the next home?

Idk, I get a lot of news and varying, usually well-thought-out perspectives here and wouldn't want to lose that.

WhipperSnapper
Oct 19, 2023, 1:42 PM
Dude. It was glitches. There is nothing to suggest the site is shutting down. The site owner/ administrators remain active on the site and in the database. They probably don't have the time/staff to respond to every inquiry.

giallo
Oct 19, 2023, 1:42 PM
Apey, who does maintenance on the site, just posted this:

Sorry for the long wait and no response, Dylan and I are aware of the issue. As it too has affected my ability to get things done on the site. With that said, Dylan is working at getting it fixed but has tried several different methods to fix this issue. With the "fix" to only be relayed back to us several days later that the fix didn't work and users are still getting errors including me.

jamincan
Oct 19, 2023, 1:54 PM
I think one of the reasons that a forum like works well for ostensibly off-topic discussion is that by not being specifically about Canada or politics or whatever other non-development topic you choose, it doesn't function like a lightning rod for the most extreme voices and thus have discussion drowned out. We have our crazies, but on the whole it's still possible to read and see a broad swath of points of view.

Even here, though, it can be hard to hold a nuanced position and engage with others in good faith. Unfortunately, in any open discussion format, the easiest response to debate is the weakest one, which means that heated debate tends to deteriorate rather quickly. It's super frustrating to put up a well-researched, well-referenced post, only to have it ignored for the low-effort trolling responses. And then after a while of trying to argue against a strong man and elevate the discussion, it's easier to just give up and snipe instead.

Periodic breaks from SSP or any social network are a really good way to reset your brain - I highly recommend it.

Coldrsx
Oct 19, 2023, 2:25 PM
'Periodic breaks from SSP or any social network are a really good way to reset your brain - I highly recommend it.'

piELRGuXjAU

Metro-One
Oct 19, 2023, 2:35 PM
If SSP goes down, I’m going down with it. It’s a daily routine for me and feels like one of the last places to have a real honest conversation with out it becoming a slug fest or policed by heavy handed mods.

I have ventured into Reddit, but man, navigating that is a nightmare and topics / posts just get lost in a sea of crap. Then mods will ban without warning or any consistency. Hate to say it, but this forum feels more intellectual and logical in form (in general) while Reddit and many other modern alternatives is all emotionally charged BS.

I’m getting the error messages all the time to, but man, I don’t want to jump this ship because there isn’t a better alternative that I have seen.

MonctonRad
Oct 19, 2023, 2:43 PM
I haven't received a database error message now for at least 36 hours. Am I just being lucky, or are things improving???

giallo
Oct 19, 2023, 2:46 PM
I think things are improving now that they've been getting a lot of messages from forumers. Let's see if it holds.

q12
Oct 19, 2023, 3:06 PM
https://media.tenor.com/tyScmzqR6hsAAAAC/crisis-averted-crisis-has-been-averted.gif

Dengler Avenue
Oct 19, 2023, 3:08 PM
The best thing about moderation on here is that it's lightly moderated.

Though we've had some ups and downs, and recently some of the more biased and heavy-handed moderators have moved on from the site it seems.
It sounds like you have someone specific in mind. ;)

Acajack
Oct 19, 2023, 3:24 PM
It sounds like you have someone specific in mind. ;)

I'm far too classy to kiss and tell.

manny_santos
Oct 19, 2023, 9:02 PM
If SSP goes down, I’m going down with it. It’s a daily routine for me and feels like one of the last places to have a real honest conversation with out it becoming a slug fest or policed by heavy handed mods.

I have ventured into Reddit, but man, navigating that is a nightmare and topics / posts just get lost in a sea of crap. Then mods will ban without warning or any consistency. Hate to say it, but this forum feels more intellectual and logical in form (in general) while Reddit and many other modern alternatives is all emotionally charged BS.

I’m getting the error messages all the time to, but man, I don’t want to jump this ship because there isn’t a better alternative that I have seen.

During the pandemic this was also the best discussion board for all things Covid. Generally the discussion was level-headed, and with one or two exceptions, there were very few extreme views on either side. I have actually looked back through the Covid-19 thread from start to finish on a couple occasions when I was bored, it's a good archive.

Reddit was far more polarized, with a much more black-and-white view of the situation.

ScreamingViking
Oct 19, 2023, 10:55 PM
Glad to know it was a glitch. :tup:

Which of these are deemed the worst will be subjective:

zv7qNQv5yz0?si=ka_3AOP4QKxRYk3q

XfEuxRDYiyc?si=p7Yb8db00nNExc3W

mrXfh4hENKs?si=YCrLXMeHgpaw3VXK

Y2a73EvnZ4s?si=_sQ2wW-WS0zlzNn8

bG9Cnh_Orkc?si=iRmndu7aKbV2gUle

MolsonExport
Oct 19, 2023, 11:31 PM
Problem with City-Data is that moderation is absolutely awful there (heavy handed and idiotic).

Something that would work (even though I’m sure the community here won’t pick that as our top / consensus Plan B migration choice) would be the Canada section of mtlurb (basically dead now, so ready for us all to move in!)

https://mtlurb.com/forum/38-toronto-et-le-reste-du-canada/

Isn't that Malek's fortress? Is he still in charge?

MolsonExport
Oct 19, 2023, 11:45 PM
You ever notice that there is this tipping point when all the SSP members that are resident of a certain city seem to vanish like a fart in the wind?

I recall the good ol' days when there was a large Quebecois contingent (Serge, Elsonic, Patrick Scantland, Habsfan, and many others), then "poof!" they all left SSP, greatly diminishing what was then one of the busiest subforums (Quebec). Must have been close to 18 years since that exodus.

Later, this happened with a bunch of Waterlooians/Kitchenerites. For awhile it was almost nauseating to hear all the boosterism about what was going on in the three-headed monster of a city. Then suddenly, it stopped. Exodus redux.

Back during the Great Recession, Calgary-based forumers were seemingly taking over the skyline photo threads. Well, maybe there were not that many forumers, but man, they sure posted a lot of Calgary pics. Now there is little exposure of Calgary, compared to those Halcyon days.

O-tacular
Oct 19, 2023, 11:52 PM
You ever notice that there is this tipping point when all the SSP members that are resident of a certain city seem to vanish like a fart in the wind?

I recall the good ol' days when there was a large Quebecois contingent (Serge, Elsonic, Patrick Scantland, Habsfan, and many others), then "poof!" they all left SSP, greatly diminishing what was then one of the busiest subforums (Quebec). Must have been close to 18 years since that exodus.

Later, this happened with a bunch of Waterlooians/Kitchenerites. For awhile it was almost nauseating to hear all the boosterism about what was going on in the three-headed monster of a city. Then suddenly, it stopped. Exodus redux.

Back during the Great Recession, Calgary-based forumers were seemingly taking over the skyline photo threads. Well, maybe there were not that many forumers, but man, they sure posted a lot of Calgary pics. Now there is little exposure of Calgary, compared to those Halcyon days.

All of the Calgary forumers left for Skyrise after the city section was overrun by a few stupid Migs-like conservative trolls who went unmoderated. The Canada section also was not kind to those contributing photos and updates of Calgary projects.

O-tacular
Oct 20, 2023, 12:05 AM
Just got another site failure.

Centropolis
Oct 20, 2023, 1:37 AM
Once a Denver, then an Atlanta, then maybe even a Brooklyn or Chicago, but we are now a desultory Saint Louis.

*filtered october light through opium smoke*

hey a platform is a platform 😂

Innsertnamehere
Oct 20, 2023, 2:55 AM
Waterloo decamped to “waterlooregionconnected” just like Calgary went to skyrisecities.

MonctonRad
Oct 20, 2023, 3:19 AM
I have confidence that SSP isn't going anywhere. It will continue to evolve, and, perhaps given the vagaries of time, gradually wither away, but, I do not imagine that it's demise is anywhere imminent.

The Moncton local is very active, and, even though we do not have a [Moncton] subforum, I think we are every bit as busy as the Halifax subforum, and busier than St. John's. Our fallback (if necessary) is Retail Talk & Share NB on Facebook, which, despite it's name is heavy on development news. As I've said before however, it just isn't SSP. It is structured much differently, without individual threads to allow for structured conversations, and is populated by a different cast of characters who tend to be a lot angrier and more bitter (just like Facebook in general).

O-tacular
Oct 20, 2023, 3:22 AM
During the pandemic this was also the best discussion board for all things Covid. Generally the discussion was level-headed, and with one or two exceptions, there were very few extreme views on either side. I have actually looked back through the Covid-19 thread from start to finish on a couple occasions when I was bored, it's a good archive.

Reddit was far more polarized, with a much more black-and-white view of the situation.

SSP has also been a great source of info on the Ukraine war and now Gaza.

Also I probably have more in common (and shared SSP ‘history’) with even those I routinely disagree with on here than most ‘friends’ on FB.

GeneralLeeTPHLS
Oct 20, 2023, 6:34 AM

Agreed in full. I've come to frequent this site daily for years now and would hate to see it be lost. I get errors too, and I figure if I had to, I'd go to UrbanToronto, and look at Skyrise for updates on Edmonton and Calgary, since I find both cities interesting to watch for growth.
There's something about the discussions on here that is genuinely pleasant and a breathe of fresh air compared to the trash-heap of vitrol found on Twitter, Facebook and Reddit.

As an aside, I'm hoping for the retention (somehow) of many of the drawings made over the years on this site, the talent and work invested in them is simply astounding.

nname
Oct 20, 2023, 9:03 AM

Probably the same for me... I may browse other forums from time to time, but this is one of the few places I bothered posting and sharing. If this goes down, maybe I'll just go and do something completely different.

Harrison
Oct 20, 2023, 5:46 PM

bG9Cnh_Orkc?si=iRmndu7aKbV2gUle

I like that you chose to include some Parkway :tup::cheers:

Nouvellecosse
Oct 20, 2023, 7:48 PM
VKZ-ZCCkyo8

But seriously, probably safe to say that most people who are still here after all this time will probably die here.

Doady
Oct 20, 2023, 7:52 PM
The Filter version is the best.

p_xavier
Oct 20, 2023, 7:52 PM
I'm a moderator on MTLUrb and am a bit active on UrbanToronto.

mylesmalley
Oct 20, 2023, 7:59 PM
I've only really been active in the Canada and Atlantic Canada sections, but I'd really miss it if they were gone. It would be nice if the site would update the forum software though; it would make things more stable, give us better tools for sharing and discussing things and hopefully make it more secure.

If SSP does eventually collapse, maybe someone is tech savy enough to launch a Canadian SSP page to try and carry the torch?

Setting up a site isn't that hard. There are lots of open-source forum software packages that could be used. The bigger challenges are hosting costs, and especially moderation.

Doady
Oct 20, 2023, 8:00 PM
I'm in the process of blocking all the photos that I posted on UrbanToronto, which they never liked anyways. As far as I'm concerned, all those guys can go jump off the Bloor Viaduct.

McKellarDweller
Oct 20, 2023, 9:03 PM
All of the Calgary forumers left for Skyrise
I have this fantasy of going on long urban walks and bike rides, and updating / freshening the Calgary section with a bunch of neighbourhood and park photo threads.
My wife would have to go away somewhere without me for a few days for that to happen. :haha:

O-tacular
Oct 20, 2023, 9:10 PM
I have this fantasy of going on long urban walks and bike rides, and updating / freshening the Calgary section with a bunch of neighbourhood and park photo threads.
My wife would have to go away somewhere without me for a few days for that to happen. :haha:

Do it. Even if Bad Grizzly re-emerges to call your neighbourhood ugly and crime ridden. Doesn't matter where you live.

That said, babies have a way of taking up all of your spare time too.

O-tacular
Oct 20, 2023, 9:16 PM

Which of these are deemed the worst will be subjective:

WmjVaoaeNLc

WhipperSnapper
Oct 20, 2023, 9:57 PM
Urbantoronto is not my kind of place. I like to swear for emphasis. That gets you suspended with a loss in demerit points. Any organic discussion that ventures just a little off topic is shutdown immediately.

Network American channels are well and good. I'm more Netflix.

Calgary and Edmonton's Skyrise forums do a much better job with moderation.

manny_santos
Oct 20, 2023, 10:17 PM

It seems like the London group has been one of the few constants over the past 17 years I've been on here. It's a little less active than it used to be (perhaps in a small part because I don't live there anymore and find myself following local news there less and less), but I pop in from time to time and there's always some new stuff. But it's not quite what it was back in, say, 2008.

The most active non-Facebook London forum online is probably the local subreddit. It's one of the more decent ones, it doesn't have the drama I've seen in some corners of Reddit.

whatnext
Oct 20, 2023, 11:33 PM
It seems like the London group has been one of the few constants over the past 17 years I've been on here. It's a little less active than it used to be (perhaps in a small part because I don't live there anymore and find myself following local news there less and less), but I pop in from time to time and there's always some new stuff. But it's not quite what it was back in, say, 2008.

The most active non-Facebook London forum online is probably the local subreddit. It's one of the more decent ones, it doesn't have the drama I've seen in some corners of Reddit.

r/vancouver is ruled by the woke. Sounds quite different from some of the other Canadian subreddits.

People_talking
Oct 21, 2023, 12:08 AM
I really wish Skyrise cities has an option for a Canada section.

If SSP does goes down that would be a no-brainer go too

1overcosc
Oct 21, 2023, 12:11 AM
Setting up a site isn't that hard. There are lots of open-source forum software packages that could be used. The bigger challenges are hosting costs, and especially moderation.

One of the things that I absolutely love about SSP Canada is that we have very light moderation and it works. The Migs clones are the only real problem.

Xelebes
Oct 21, 2023, 1:30 AM
The only other site I split time on is a small private forum called The Baboon Furnace. It is an offshoot of HFboards' political forum, after it was shuttered by the recently departed Buffaloed. If the situation gets worse, I might ask if it will be possible to invite some of you guys over and turn the longstanding Political Canadiana thread into a full forum there.

MonctonRad
Oct 21, 2023, 1:42 AM
If you guys keep on talking about the end of SSP, it might end up being a self fulfilling prophesy.

What we have now is a technical problem leading to database instability. The site is unreliable, but, we know the site administrator and mods are aware of the problems and are working on them. The problems may not be insoluble. Let's give them a chance before pronouncing last rites......

itom 987
Oct 21, 2023, 2:39 AM
For 24 years SSP has been a big part of my life but last spring my marriage fell apart, as a result my priorities in life have changed. I will always love SSP and hope it never goes, I will always check the website on a daily basis but won't linger there anymore, or at least till I get my life back on track.

Black Star
Oct 21, 2023, 2:48 AM
For 24 years SSP has been a big part of my life but last spring my marriage fell apart, as a result my priorities in life have changed. I will always love SSP and hope it never goes, I will always check the website on a daily basis but won't linger there anymore, or at least till I get my life back on track.

Sorry about this man.....I hope you find peace love and balance again.

ScreamingViking
Oct 21, 2023, 5:38 AM
But seriously, probably safe to say that most people who are still here after all this time will probably die here.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/81/12/f28112cc0a6626376291c5515bf66a2a.gif

Replace "New York" with "SSP" :D :cheers:

ScreamingViking
Oct 21, 2023, 5:43 AM
Total Recall is one of my favourite Schwarzenegger films. One of favourite films... period! :cheers:

The redux has its merits, but a favourite it is not.

WmjVaoaeNLc

Architype
Oct 21, 2023, 6:30 AM
There seems to be an improvement over the past day or two, no glitches for a while now.
The only other site that used to be similar is https://www.skyscrapercity.com/

Kilgore Trout
Oct 21, 2023, 2:42 PM
FYI, since I've seen mtlurb mentioned a few times in this thread – if you want to keep tabs on what's happening Montreal, Agora Montréal is the place to go. mtlurb is a cesspool.

MolsonExport
Oct 21, 2023, 4:39 PM
FYI, since I've seen mtlurb mentioned a few times in this thread – if you want to keep tabs on what's happening Montreal, Agora Montréal is the place to go. mtlurb is a cesspool.

yeah, Agora Montreal is great, but I had a negative experience with mtlurb back when it got started under the banned Malek