PDA

View Full Version : Austin | River Park - 4700 Riverside (Formerly Project Catalyst) | Proposed

Pages : [1] 2

The ATX
Sep 10, 2017, 9:43 PM
OMFG. The Chamber, City and State better be all over this as Amazon HQ2.

https://i.imgur.com/SoIJHiJ.png
https://i.imgur.com/6CoI5wO.png
https://i.imgur.com/CaBhn9o.png
https://i.imgur.com/W05pOVP.png
https://i.imgur.com/0t1z5f6.png
https://i.imgur.com/Z9wCXaq.png
Vimeo promo video: https://vimeo.com/182609285

KevinFromTexas
Sep 10, 2017, 9:46 PM
Well, there we go.

ig4jbcU9db0

We vs us
Sep 10, 2017, 10:14 PM
That is completely NOT what I got from the initial marketing materials. So much bigger! Yowza!

AustinGoesVertical
Sep 10, 2017, 10:46 PM
Well then. Looks like the city can basically offer Amazon the chance to be a catalyst and essentially have their own downtown with mixed-used amenities for employees. We've been speaking of the domain as a sort of second downtown but this skyline would surely be more visible from the current core. If this vision can be even 50 percent filled, the Austin's downtown CBD will essentially have two focal points. And then imagine South Shore spurring more development across the river, downtown Austin's footprint could expand immensely.

clubtokyo
Sep 10, 2017, 11:43 PM
Wow!

The ATX
Sep 11, 2017, 12:03 AM
Here's another rendering and a building massing from the video linked to in the OP. The video features a lot of happy millennials. :haha: I can't imagine a better Amazon option than this one which just happened to be a thing already.

https://i.imgur.com/sZkHx3P.png
https://i.imgur.com/4rltVdS.png

AustinGoesVertical
Sep 11, 2017, 1:32 AM
For height are we thinking a lot of mid-rises with maybe a ~300 ft tower. Some of those slender buildings look to be 20 floors or so. I'd love to see it be city-style density rather than a more traditional campus. Assuming this is where Amazon decides to expand, which isn't written in stone by any means. I like our chances though haha

The ATX
Sep 11, 2017, 1:42 AM
According to the ABJ article linked to through Reddit in my Amazon HQ2 post, they are looking for zoning for 20-story buildings. Amazon H2Q could change that though.

drummer
Sep 11, 2017, 2:44 AM
This also begs for a Riverside rail route to connect ABIA to downtown. I could see an elevated station straddling Pleasant Valley Rd. between the eastward and westward lanes of Riverside.

We vs us
Sep 11, 2017, 2:59 AM
This also begs for a Riverside rail route to connect ABIA to downtown. I could see an elevated station straddling Pleasant Valley Rd. between the eastward and westward lanes of Riverside.

This. It really couldn't be more convenient for a rail expansion -- just go ahead and build that airport spur and plunk down an Amazon station or two while you're at it.

Honestly this is the kind of thing I would bet (hope?) Amazon is looking for . . . a city with public transportation prospects as much as a fully built out system. Let's face it -- very few American cities really do rail transit well, and virtually none save the usual suspects have rail transit that will serve 50k workers in any meaningful capacity. So if Amazon wants to consider a wider field it has to consider itself not only a user of transit but a partner in its development as well.

So remind me . . . all of this land is currently being used to house students, right?

austlar1
Sep 11, 2017, 4:16 AM
Now this is what a "second downtown" should look like! That location is crying out for new development. NIMBYs not even a factor! Let's get this done. It will kick start the refurbishment of the entire area between Oltorf and Riverside too. This could make Austin a whole other place, a much better place. It would also pretty much guarantee rail to the airport.

lzppjb
Sep 11, 2017, 4:31 AM
Very cool.

Any thoughts on the video being a year old?

The ATX
Sep 11, 2017, 5:27 AM
Any thoughts on the video being a year old?

Only that I'm wondering why it took a year to find the video. :)

Novacek
Sep 11, 2017, 1:50 PM
I'm going to throw cold water on this. I don't really buy it. Both as a "second downtown" and as the one true answer to Amazon's rfp.

I don't mean that it's not a positive and useful development, just that it seems like marketing is a little out of control on it.

It's 79 acres (though really only 49 acres according to reddit description, I guess due to the floodplain).
So it's 1/4 or less the size of the Domain. Just the Domain, much less the whole surrounding North Burnet Gateway development.

The ABJ article from last year talks about "Nine million square feet of total development potential"(no details, eg how much of that depends on affordable housing etc.), but they seem to have walked that back pretty significantly, since the more recent flyer is now down to 1.4M.

The original 9M estimate seems to assume a _huge_ up-zoning from it's already recent rezoning. From what I can tell from the ERC master plan, most of the tract is Neighborhood Mixed Use zoned with a ~60 foot height limits.

Now, could that change, sure. Especially if it actually is decided to advance this is as the Amazon answer. But it's certainly not turn key. Nor is it greenfield (there's a bunch of apartments there now).

Edit: Actually, it's worse than I thought. On second look, it seems like at least half of the current ERC zoning is urban residential, with a .75 FAR and 40 foot limit.

AusTxDevelopment
Sep 11, 2017, 4:46 PM
I'm going to throw cold water on this. I don't really buy it. Both as a "second downtown" and as the one true answer to Amazon's rfp.

I don't mean that it's not a positive and useful development, just that it seems like marketing is a little out of control on it.

It's 79 acres (though really only 49 acres according to reddit description, I guess due to the floodplain).
So it's 1/4 or less the size of the Domain. Just the Domain, much less the whole surrounding North Burnet Gateway development.

The ABJ article from last year talks about "Nine million square feet of total development potential"(no details, eg how much of that depends on affordable housing etc.), but they seem to have walked that back pretty significantly, since the more recent flyer is now down to 1.4M.

The original 9M estimate seems to assume a _huge_ up-zoning from it's already recent rezoning. From what I can tell from the ERC master plan, most of the tract is Neighborhood Mixed Use zoned with a ~60 foot height limits.

Now, could that change, sure. Especially if it actually is decided to advance this is as the Amazon answer. But it's certainly not turn key. Nor is it greenfield (there's a bunch of apartments there now).

Edit: Actually, it's worse than I thought. On second look, it seems like at least half of the current ERC zoning is urban residential, with a .75 FAR and 40 foot limit.

Nimes Capital owns this site, aka the Ballpark Apartments, and was working with JLL late last year to either sell it or find a partner to redevelop it. JLL made that video as part of the sales marketing. I have heard that the site is under contract to sell to an apartment investor. However, I would guess if Nimes sees the opportunity to make a play for Amazon and they are not already locked in on the sale, they might be able to cancel the sales contract depending on where they are in the process - there may be some fees involved. But as Novacek said there are a lot of hurdles with that land. If the existing contract goes through the buyer is just buying it for the apartments as an investment. They are not a developer and are not planning to demolish anything or redevelop.

Here's a link to the September 2016 ABJ article. It's not paywalled, but you need a free login to read it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2016/09/23/project-catalyst-may-transform-east-austin.html

gabetx
Sep 11, 2017, 8:37 PM
As nice as this would be, the area encompassing Pleasant Valley, Riverside, Wickersham, and Elmont is pretty small. On top of that, the amount of congestion there is already bad, especially without immediate highway or mass transport options. Riverside is already a 24 hour street and has heavy traffic well into the evening hours. On top of that, the amount of transients that live under the bridge on Riverside right here and in the woods, this area would require "The Ark 2".

With that said, the area is centrally located and is very close to both downtown and the airport. The area is also gentrifying quickly and there are numerous high budget apartments and residences going up in the area. It would be interesting to see this area transform into something like depicted.

The ATX
Sep 11, 2017, 8:43 PM
This is obviously just a grand vision, and I never saw any permits or zoning change requests for 20-story buildings. But I am hoping the site is still available for a potential H2Q bid. This location seems like a better option than any other one that comes to mind IMO.

MichaelB
Sep 11, 2017, 10:00 PM
Poor Domain...... I'm sure they will be hurt that so many abandoned them as the "second downtown"!

jowens
Sep 11, 2017, 10:46 PM
Surely they would include "light rail" from the airport up Riverside into downtown in the proposal. The one major item Austin is totally lacking on Amazon's "checklist" for the potential location, is mass transit.

The ATX
Sep 14, 2017, 8:55 PM
TOWERS sums this up. He did try to contact the parties involved with the project.

http://austin.towers.net/project-catalyst-oracles-east-riverside-neighbor-might-be-the-next-domain/

paul78701
Sep 14, 2017, 9:02 PM
Surely they would include "light rail" from the airport up Riverside into downtown in the proposal. The one major item Austin is totally lacking on Amazon's "checklist" for the potential location, is mass transit.

Also, it will take the better part of a decade for Amazon to hire 50k workers. So there may be some time to get something implemented.

GoldenBoot
Sep 14, 2017, 9:03 PM
This project will not come to fruition (as currently proposed) without incentives. And with the council trying to back out of the Domain incentive deal...good luck at securing a deal for Catalyst.

Man, 10-1 definitely did not turn out like I had hoped. What a bunch of lunatics.

Novacek
Sep 14, 2017, 10:13 PM
This project will not come to fruition (as currently proposed) without incentives. And with the council trying to back out of the Domain incentive deal...good luck at securing a deal for Catalyst.

Man, 10-1 definitely did not turn out like I had hoped. What a bunch of lunatics.

Any future incentives will no doubt be guaranteed by contract, not "optional", which is where the Domain gets into trouble.

The ATX
Oct 18, 2017, 2:01 PM
TOWERS has a good article about this area:

http://austin.towers.net/more-than-1000-apartment-units-headed-to-austins-south-shore/

The ATX
Mar 14, 2018, 1:40 PM
An update from TOWERS:

https://austin.towers.net/project-catalyst-documents-describe-97-acre-development-at-east-riverside/

austlar1
Mar 14, 2018, 7:30 PM
An update from TOWERS:

https://austin.towers.net/project-catalyst-documents-describe-97-acre-development-at-east-riverside/

This could be such a great development. It expands the core of the city without doing much damage to surrounding neighborhoods. The development would be towards the airport and less developed areas where more affordable housing could be built without having a huge impact on gridlocked highways to the north of downtown. It would increase the probability that a light rail line gets built that would serve the airport. Most important, this development would easily integrate into the existing street grid making for a true urban environment rather that the faux urban mess that is rapidly congealing in the Domain area.

Novacek
Mar 14, 2018, 7:45 PM
Most important, this development would easily integrate into the existing street grid making for a true urban environment rather that the faux urban mess that is rapidly congealing in the Domain area.

You say this based on what?

We've seen no indication (yet) that a new internal street grid will be developed/conveyed to the city.

It's a large unified project developed by a single developer. All apartments (no condos) so it seems likely the developer will keep control of the whole thing. Most likely it will look/feel exactly like the Domain (not that it's bad).

austlar1
Mar 14, 2018, 11:26 PM
You say this based on what?

We've seen no indication (yet) that a new internal street grid will be developed/conveyed to the city.

It's a large unified project developed by a single developer. All apartments (no condos) so it seems likely the developer will keep control of the whole thing. Most likely it will look/feel exactly like the Domain (not that it's bad).

Wanna bet? Nothing could possibly feel as sterile and artificial as the Domain. I am pretty sure the city will make certain this development, if it happens, will be integrated into the existing network of roads in the area.

chundercracker
Mar 15, 2018, 3:26 AM
Wanna bet? Nothing could possibly feel as sterile and artificial as the Domain. I am pretty sure the city will make certain this development, if it happens, will be integrated into the existing network of roads in the area.

I dunno, the Mueller area's pushing pretty hard for the "Truman Show" award too...

austlar1
Mar 15, 2018, 4:19 AM
I dunno, the Mueller area's pushing pretty hard for the "Truman Show" award too...

Ha! Ha! You are right about that. Mueller leaves me feeling pretty cold, but the Domain just creeps me out. I hate going there for any reason. I am probably the most elderly customer you can find at H and M. They have great draw string pants that fit my sagging old body. Otherwise, I'd never go near the Domain.

This Catylist site has great bones with frontage on a revitalizing Riverside Drive and S. Pleasant Valley. There is almost direct access to the nearby lake, park, and trails. It is already bisected by at least three existing streets. I suspect the master plan will attempt to relate to all of these elements in a truly urban manner. Also, if it happens, Catylist will probably be built out by a variety of different developers over a decade or two. Current trends in urban design pretty much dictate walkability and connectivity. Transit options along Riverside are almost certain to improve dramatically over time. I don't think Catylist is likely to turn its back on Riverside Drive or S. Pleasant Valley. The latter is a direct connect into old East Austin. There will be quick access to bike trails as well, which might be a sexy sell to younger commuters. The new not-so-free "Airport Freeway" will make this area much more accessible to north central Austin. I think this concept is a real winner and a game changer for the larger neighborhood extending up to Oltorf. I really want this one to happen.

I'm re posting the link to the Austin Towers recent article on this proposal in case you missed it above.

Jdawgboy
Mar 15, 2018, 4:35 AM
Ha! Ha! You are right about that. Mueller leaves me feeling pretty cold, but the Domain just creeps me out. I hate going there for any reason. I am probably the most elderly customer you can find at H and M. They have great draw string pants that fit my sagging old body. Otherwise, I'd never go near the Domain.

This Catylist site has great bones with frontage on a revitalizing Riverside Drive and almost direct access to the nearby lake, park, and trails. It is already bisected by at least three existing streets. I suspect the master plan will attempt to relate to all of these elements in a truly urban manner. Also, if it happens, Catylist will probably be built out by a variety of different developers over a decade or two. Current trends in urban design pretty much dictate walkability and connectivity. Transit options along Riverside are almost certain to improve dramatically over time. I don't think Catylist is likely to turn its back on Riverside Drive. There will be quick access to bike trails as well which might be a sexy sell to younger commuters. I think this concept is a real winner and a game changer for the larger neighborhood extending up to Oltorf. I really want this one to happen.

I'm re posting the link to the Austin Towers recent article on this proposal in case you missed it above.

I agree, Catalyst has the potential of being a real game changer for Austin. Looking forward to hearing more details.

Jdawgboy
Mar 15, 2018, 4:47 AM
I also stand by my previous statement in another thread about VMU density. Please point out a corridor that has more VMU development than South Lamar or East Riverside. I'm not talking about West Campus or the Domain I'm talking about a stretch of road with the VMU development.

austlar1
Mar 15, 2018, 4:57 AM
I also stand by my previous statement in another thread about VMU density. Please point out a corridor that has more VMU development than South Lamar or East Riverside. I'm not talking about West Campus or the Domain I'm talking about a stretch of road with the VMU development.

If the Catylist thing happens, I suspect that Riverside will be VMU on both sides all the way to IH35 within a decade or so. Big plots of lowrise commercial space like the HEB at the corner of Riverside and Pleasant Valley might see development similar to that being described for Catylist. An entire swath of the central city could emerge in urban form in fairly short order. The rundown apartment complexes going up to Oltorf would likely revitalize as well. I guess you could say I have an almost Jdawgian level of enthusiasm for this Catylist project.

Jdawgboy
Mar 15, 2018, 6:27 AM
If the Catylist thing happens, I suspect that Riverside will be VMU on both sides all the way to IH35 within a decade or so. Big plots of lowrise commercial space like the HEB at the corner of Riverside and Pleasant Valley might see development similar to that being described for Catylist. An entire swath of the central city could emerge in urban form in fairly short order. The rundown apartment complexes going up to Oltorf would likely revitalize as well. I guess you could say I have an almost Jdawgian level of enthusiasm for this Catylist project.

Hey a new word definition! Love it!:cheers::multibow:

By the way have you seen those row townhouses that are going up along Tinnin Ford Road? They remind me of what you see in cities in the Northeast. I'd love to see more like that.

Here's a screenshot from Google Maps:

http://fs1.directupload.net/images/180315/umz5y482.jpg

Novacek
Mar 15, 2018, 1:34 PM
I suspect the master plan will attempt to relate to all of these elements in a truly urban manner.

What master plan? This is a simple upzoning, not a PUD. The only regulating plan is the existing east riverside corridor plan.

Which is good and all, but we don't have to guess about it. We know exactly what is required.

(as a side, I'll correct myself and say that the ERC corridor plan does require some new street dedications in these parcels, so yes that should be nice).

Also, if it happens, Catylist will probably be built out by a variety of different developers over a decade or two.

A decade or two? It's not big enough to require that much time.

In actual buildable area (remember a big chunk is undevelopable/isn't being developed), this is only slightly larger than Phase 1 of the Domain (if possibly slightly taller).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice medium-sized project, but you're blowing it up to be something much larger than it is.

Sigaven
Mar 15, 2018, 3:05 PM

By the way have you seen those row townhouses that are going up along Tinnin Ford Road? They remind me of what you see in cities in the Northeast. I'd love to see more like that.

The brick is nice but the other three sides are awful!! They built some identical ones behind my work on 11th street, and they slapped on this horrible looking fiber cement synthetic looking panels on the sides and back (and also on those divider walls that extend up past the roof). Not even real stucco or even fake stucco. It looks really really terrible.

clubtokyo
Mar 15, 2018, 5:47 PM

Those look nice! Love the full brick all the way around. Wait are we looking at the same project? I see brick on 3 sides?
https://i.imgur.com/1dwNQ4D.png

urbancore
Mar 15, 2018, 6:03 PM
The brick is nice but the other three sides are awful!! They built some identical ones behind my work on 11th street, and they slapped on this horrible looking fiber cement synthetic looking panels on the sides and back (and also on those divider walls that extend up past the roof). Not even real stucco or even fake stucco. It looks really really terrible.

I'm with you. Hot garbage. I've toured them. The finish out is shit. Not 4 sides brick. Once the neighborhood fills in, it should look better, but it really needs to be in a mega-dense area.

Sigaven
Mar 15, 2018, 6:22 PM
Most likely it will look/feel exactly like the Domain (not that it's bad).

The Domain is a terrible example to follow for urban planning. I'm really hoping this project builds actual city streets and incorporates with the rest of the city grid, instead of closing itself off like the Domain with only a few access points and parking garages galore.

The Domain has all the feeling of a place you go to just for the day, a bubble isolated, before you return to Austin. I'm hoping Catalyst is just a continuation of "Austin."

austlar1
Mar 15, 2018, 6:48 PM
What master plan? This is a simple upzoning, not a PUD. The only regulating plan is the existing east riverside corridor plan.

Which is good and all, but we don't have to guess about it. We know exactly what is required.

(as a side, I'll correct myself and say that the ERC corridor plan does require some new street dedications in these parcels, so yes that should be nice).

A decade or two? It's not big enough to require that much time.

In actual buildable area (remember a big chunk is undevelopable/isn't being developed), this is only slightly larger than Phase 1 of the Domain (if possibly slightly taller).

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice medium-sized project, but you're blowing it up to be something much larger than it is.

Yes, probably at least a decade. We are talking about:
4,709 apartment units
600 hotel rooms
3,987,300 square feet of office space
436,250 square feet of general retail space
60,000 square feet of medical/dental space

Hard to imagine a single lender or developer taking all that on at one time. There will eventually be a master plan or road map, if this thing progresses. Multiple developers will probably share in the building of this thing.

austlar1
Mar 15, 2018, 6:53 PM
I'm with you. Hot garbage. I've toured them. The finish out is shit. Not 4 sides brick. Once the neighborhood fills in, it should look better, but it really needs to be in a mega-dense area.

Not a bad concept, but the execution sounds sloppy. I like that they are built to the street. I have not been by there. Is parking in the rear or what?

freerover
Mar 15, 2018, 6:55 PM
The Domain is a terrible example to follow for urban planning. I'm really hoping this project builds actual city streets and incorporates with the rest of the city grid, instead of closing itself off like the Domain with only a few access points and parking garages galore.

The Domain has all the feeling of a place you go to just for the day, a bubble isolated, before you return to Austin. I'm hoping Catalyst is just a continuation of "Austin."

This property already has access to the extended street grid. You would really just want them to extend Wickersham which they would have to do anyway to give road access to buildings on the northern part of the lot. It would be nice to extend Lakeshore into the property and connect it to Wickersham but it would have to go on top of existing parkland.

We badly need a corridor study of Pleasant Valley from Riverside to 7th. That corridor is already badly congested and it's going to get worse. They need to acquire some ROW at the PV and Cesar intersection and enlarge it considerably. It's going to get worse once the 183 south highway is done and more people are going to be coming down Cesar to turn left.

I think there are enough improvements you can make at the intersections that you don't need to look at widening the actual road. For instance, starting the right lane turn onto Lakeshore WAY earlier and look into taking away some street parking so it can have its own acceleration lane which then merges into the main lane.

Novacek
Mar 15, 2018, 7:06 PM
Yes, probably at least a decade. We are talking about:
4,709 apartment units
600 hotel rooms
3,987,300 square feet of office space
436,250 square feet of general retail space
60,000 square feet of medical/dental space

Hard to imagine a single lender or developer taking all that on at one time. There will eventually be a master plan or road map, if this thing progresses. Multiple developers will probably share in the building of this thing.

Again, it's smaller than the Domain, which is almost built out at this point (~10 years), and was (after a short while) basically just Endeavor.

It's a nice development, but you're acting like this is some new unprecedented thing.

It's also much smaller than Mueller, and I believe that's been all Catellus so far.

*And that's _if_ they get the max zoning they're asking for (no sure thing) and build out to the max of the traffic analysis they're doing (also not guaranteed).

austlar1
Mar 15, 2018, 7:11 PM
This property already has access to the extended street grid. You would really just want them to extend Wickersham which they would have to do anyway to give road access to buildings on the northern part of the lot. It would be nice to extend Lakeshore into the property and connect it to Wickersham but it would have to go on top of existing parkland.

We badly need a corridor study of Pleasant Valley from Riverside to 7th. That corridor is already badly congested and it's going to get worse. They need to acquire some ROW at the PV and Cesar intersection and enlarge it considerably. It's going to get worse once the 183 south highway is done and more people are going to be coming down Cesar to turn left.

I think there are enough improvements you can make at the intersections that you don't need to look at widening the actual road. For instance, starting the right lane turn onto Lakeshore WAY earlier and look into taking away some street parking so it can have its own acceleration lane which then merges into the main lane.

The CV/PV intersection seems fixable. What do you think could be done to improve traffic flow between CV and 7th? Seems like that stretch would benefit from some kind of improvements, maybe a turn lane, but there does not seem to be any room there for improvements.

BTW, on the Austin Towers Facebook page there have been a lot of negative comments about Catylist. Most of the concern seems to be the impact of increased traffic on Pleasant Valley. Usually feedback on the Austin Towers Facebook page is quite positive. Pleasant Valley traffic seems to be a hot button issue.

Sigaven
Mar 15, 2018, 7:14 PM
Not a bad concept, but the execution sounds sloppy. I like that they are built to the street. I have not been by there. Is parking in the rear or what?

Here's the ones I'm talking about:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2695443,-97.7287024,3a,75y,306.94h,100.52t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAqXqvCVeqzX27G_nRCHY0w!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DAqXqvCVeqzX27G_nRCHY0w%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D333.60178%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Overall looks nice in the front. You can sorta see the awful fake stucco panels in the balconies. but...

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2694166,-97.7287643,3a,18.8y,312.32h,92.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYU2wtv6F1yCg4NQSyZVrVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You can somewhat see the awful white paneling job here. It looks just horrid in person. What's worse, they arbitrarily stopped the brick on the side of the building just before the back corner - to it makes the bricks look even more lick-and-stick. Finally, you can sorta see here, the rowhouses step down a hill, but the panels do not follow this stepping down. They just continue straight across.

freerover
Mar 15, 2018, 7:49 PM
The CV/PV intersection seems fixable. What do you think could be done to improve traffic flow between CV and 7th? Seems like that stretch would benefit from some kind of improvements, maybe a turn lane, but there does not seem to be any room there for improvements.
Really it's PC/PV that kills the traffic flow between CV and 7th.

How do you propose to fix the CV/PV intersection? I think you need to take some of that bank's parking lot and add a left turn lane outside the regular lanes like at William Cannon and 71 so you can get through more left turns from 183 but I don't know if you have the space and turning radius.

The PV/Riverside recommendation was to get rid of the crossing entirely but there is a new corridor study of PV from Riverside to South Austin that'll probably re-explore the issue.
https://i.imgur.com/SeIq4NM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/HuGtDtD.jpg

Also as a reminder, preference (needs council approval) is for the section of Riverside is getting completely rebuilt. Every piece of median, road and sidewalk that you see from Southshore to Montopolis is being demoed and replaced so this really is the perfect place to put a project like this right now.

This project moving forward only makes the issue of the rebuild of the riverside overpass at 35 that much more important. It was originally suppose to start construction this year, then it got pushed into capital express construction scheduled which then got scrapped. That is going to be one of the biggest issues facing transit in this corridor. The overpass project would allow for longer E/W crossing times by reducing the number of N/S cars at the light by building frontage bypass lanes that travel under the bridge in both directions and a North to South U-Turn lane. The bridge would also add median space for transit bus/rail lanes.

https://i.imgur.com/lniur8e.jpg

Jdawgboy
Mar 15, 2018, 8:06 PM
I think the townhomes near Riverside are being confused with the other ones being mentioned. These don't look like they were built sloppily. Whoever is building them is taking their time and taking steps to preserve existing trees (probably due to city ordinances but still) real brick on the sides. I can't say how they look inside.

freerover
Mar 15, 2018, 8:59 PM
I think the townhomes near Riverside are being confused with the other ones being mentioned. These don't look like they were built sloppily. Whoever is building them is taking their time and taking steps to preserve existing trees (probably due to city ordinances but still) real brick on the sides. I can't say how they look inside.

I believe those are the Intown Condos. They are a legit builder.

Sigaven
Mar 15, 2018, 8:59 PM

Nope. It's definitely the same crappy materials being used on both projects. You can see the same kinds of panels here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2414145,-97.7262803,3a,47.4y,357.91h,93.73t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJWDSAnI3g3lOLu2UKiA3WA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

sammyk
Mar 15, 2018, 9:38 PM
Same builder, same type of building so same materials.

Mar 16, 2018, 2:28 PM
It's a shame - could have been a piece of Portland, ME in Austin (subtract the snow):
https://assets.bwbx.io/images/users/iqjWHBFdfxIU/iOSatU6KLnJA/v1/1200x-1.jpg

Sigaven
Mar 16, 2018, 2:59 PM
It's the same story with lots of new construction these days - built to *look* historic, but cheaping out makes it look blatantly and obviously NOT historic, and tacky instead.

Geckos_Rule
Mar 16, 2018, 3:42 PM
It's the same story with lots of new construction these days - built to *look* historic, but cheaping out makes it look blatantly and obviously NOT historic, and tacky instead.

Probably because most historic stuff was built one-by-one, like that picture in Maine. Whereas this is built to look historic, but at the end it's still just a dozen identical buildings lined up against one another.

Mar 16, 2018, 3:56 PM
Probably because most historic stuff was built one-by-one, like that picture in Maine. Whereas this is built to look historic, but at the end it's still just a dozen identical buildings lined up against one another.
Yes, that. But it's fiendishly hard to compose varied historic-looking buildings without making them look tacky. in the end, maybe identical-looking is a safer choice.
None of which justifies crappy materials.

corvairkeith
Mar 16, 2018, 4:39 PM
The apartment across the street from Fifth and West do a decent job of making a varied faux-historic streetscape.

https://i.imgur.com/ur1yuz8.jpg

Sigaven
Mar 16, 2018, 5:05 PM
The apartment across the street from Fifth and West do a decent job of making a varied faux-historic streetscape.

I'm all for varied-looking streetscapes on buildings but I just think this attempt at faux-historicism is sloppy. Proportions all wonky on classical details, really ruins the look of the building.

I think some of the new development in Mueller is doing a nice job at varied street facades. The construction near the HEB is a good example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3032138,-97.7018128,3a,73.6y,164.1h,99.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD4ZGHBw6cB-l3XC0KeM3rg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you're gonna go for historic look, hire some real stonemasons and spend some money to give it an authentic look, or else it'll have all the charm of a strip mall. Otherwise, keep it clean, simple and modern.

austlar1
Mar 16, 2018, 7:32 PM
I'm all for varied-looking streetscapes on buildings but I just think this attempt at faux-historicism is sloppy. Proportions all wonky on classical details, really ruins the look of the building.

I think some of the new development in Mueller is doing a nice job at varied street facades. The construction near the HEB is a good example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3032138,-97.7018128,3a,73.6y,164.1h,99.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sD4ZGHBw6cB-l3XC0KeM3rg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you're gonna go for historic look, hire some real stonemasons and spend some money to give it an authentic look, or else it'll have all the charm of a strip mall. Otherwise, keep it clean, simple and modern.

I pretty much agree. This one looked awkward from the get- go. It has more or less disappeared into the streetscape by now, especially since it has gotten kind of grimy and the trees have grown so much. If you don't look too closely, you might think this structure has been around since maybe the 1920s.

StoOgE
Mar 18, 2018, 4:33 PM

I'm hopeful now that this part of town is much hotter and interconnected that these apartments are not long for this world.

H2O
Mar 18, 2018, 4:52 PM
I'm hopeful now that this part of town is much hotter and interconnected that these apartments are not long for this world.

I wouldn't expect redevelopment of this property to occur anytime soon, given the Capitol View Corridor, but it might be possible. The area outside the CVC is actually larger than 5th and West, and mostly covers the parking garage. If they were to tear down the garage to construct a tower, the rest of the property would probably need to be vacant during construction. I've heard that Gables is considering redeveloping the portion of West Avenue Lofts that sits on the opposite side of the same CVC. That is the wing west of the parking garage, next to the Bowie.

Jdawgboy
Mar 18, 2018, 6:18 PM
Same builder, same type of building so same materials.

Thanks for clarifying. I did not know it was by the same developer.

It will be really cool once the area between Riverside and Lake Shore Blvd. is completely filled in. Looks like they are keeping an area open for park space too.

We vs us
Mar 19, 2018, 2:15 PM
I just ducked in here to compliment Max Towers on his detective work. Lots of good stuff in that post

Sigaven
Mar 19, 2018, 2:39 PM
Thanks for clarifying. I did not know it was by the same developer.

It will be really cool once the area between Riverside and Lake Shore Blvd. is completely filled in. Looks like they are keeping an area open for park space too.

I'm hoping they start incorporating more retail on the ground floors of those buildings! Most of them so far are 100% residential aside from the leasing office.

Max Tower
Mar 19, 2018, 4:04 PM
I just ducked in here to compliment Max Towers on his detective work. Lots of good stuff in that post

Thanks. I picked this username as an ill-advised joke, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSVms6cT9nk) though I guess it keeps my posts from showing up under my real name on Google.

Scuttlebutt says we'll apparently know more about this project in a couple of weeks.

Novacek
Mar 22, 2018, 4:50 PM
Again, it's smaller than the Domain, which is almost built out at this point (~10 years), and was (after a short while) basically just Endeavor.

It's a nice development, but you're acting like this is some new unprecedented thing.

It's also much smaller than Mueller, and I believe that's been all Catellus so far.

*And that's _if_ they get the max zoning they're asking for (no sure thing) and build out to the max of the traffic analysis they're doing (also not guaranteed).

so I have to admit being wrong on the timeline, though it sounds like it's more a political thing than the actual scale of the development.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/03/22/new-details-emerge-on-97-acre-east-austin-project.html

kwinkles
Mar 27, 2018, 4:39 PM

Yeah I live near this and it's ok when you walk by on street level, but I think overall it's pretty gross. It looks more like a movie set than actual historical buildings.

Mar 27, 2018, 9:43 PM
Yeah I live near this and it's ok when you walk by on street level, but I think overall it's pretty gross. It looks more like a movie set than actual historical buildings.
This is kind of inevitable when you think about the time these were built, and how much (little!) money/sq ft the market could bear back then. They neither could afford real old craftsmanship, nor could do high-quality modern construction and make any profit. So "movie set" it is.
Until the marker reaches price level that can support quality construction, quality construction can't happen.

The ATX
Sep 7, 2018, 2:06 PM
Check out the first six items (C1-C6) on the agenda for the next Planning Commission meeting on 09/11. They have been postponed for further study, but they look like they could be related to Project Catalyst.

http://austintexas.gov/cityclerk/boards_commissions/meetings/40_1.htm

StoOgE
Sep 7, 2018, 3:19 PM
Lets get this and the Statesman site going and start really bringing density to both sides of the river.

The ATX
Oct 31, 2018, 8:08 PM
A permit was filed today for a project named "97 Acres East Riverside And Pleasant Valley" for a "commercial mixed use" project.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=12077506&t_selected_propertyrsn=3073875

mumu
Oct 31, 2018, 9:28 PM
A permit was filed today for a project named "97 Acres East Riverside And Pleasant Valley" for a "commercial mixed use" project.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/permit/public-search-other?t_detail=1&t_selected_folderrsn=12077506&t_selected_propertyrsn=3073875

The Dallas address is the same I think as Presidium Group.
Is this case just about legally changing the lots for now into a single legal entity, or for an actual specific construction project incoming?

Applicant KBGE (Jennifer Garcia)
105 E RIVERSIDE DR AUSTIN TX 78704
Billed To Centaurus Property Management, LLC
3100 Mckinnon Street Dallas TX 75201

verybadgnome
Nov 2, 2018, 4:19 AM
The city should tread carefully with this one since this is a redevelopment and there are quite a few residents whose passion is only eclipsed by their ignorance:

https://defendourhoodz.tumblr.com/

Sigaven
Nov 2, 2018, 6:04 AM
The city should tread carefully with this one since this is a redevelopment and there are quite a few residents whose passion is only eclipsed by their ignorance:

Pretty well known that Defend Our Hoodz is an absolutely shit trash organization that uses awful intimidation tactics and misinformation to try and keep new businesses and development out of what they see as their rightful territory. Hopefully less people are taking them seriously.

undergroundman
Nov 2, 2018, 7:09 AM

It's funny that they complain that there is no equity and lack of services on the east side but when job creators and services come to the east side, they cry of gentrification. I remember the same complaints when the IDEA school was being built in the Montopolis neighborhood.

mumu
Nov 2, 2018, 1:02 PM

This is a loosely knit group of malcontents. Red Guards Austin is another that's under the same umbrella. They're like the armed faction of Defend Our Hoodz; they don't participate in the political system at all but just want to "overthrow" it. All these people probably live at Ballpark.

This is them entering, afaik, Club Latinos on Riverside to let their presence be known, before they were kicked out. Pure intimidation.

(Warning: loud music in video, just fyi if at work.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ji8qL5GzM8

mumu
Nov 2, 2018, 1:13 PM
Pretty well known that Defend Our Hoodz is an absolutely shit trash organization that uses awful intimidation tactics and misinformation to try and keep new businesses and development out of what they see as their rightful territory. Hopefully less people are taking them seriously.

It's a strange world. The whole Riverside area was built for and lived in primarily by UT Students starting in the early 1970s. The older apartment complexes generally on the south side of Riverside were exited for the newer ones built on the north side of Riverside in the 1990s, including all the Ballpark ones.

As UT students have mostly left the area for housing close to the UT campus, another group has moved in. Yet, these shared room apartments are really for students, where there is a certain kind of social cohesion.

These rent by the room arrangements, where one lives with a few random other people, are a lot more problematic when not occupied by people of the same peer group. Lots of ex-cons mixed in with feckless druggie young adults, etc. The crime rate is horrendous there. The people I have the most sympathy for are the undocumented types who cause relatively few problems and who work really hard literally building the city.

papertowelroll
Nov 2, 2018, 5:21 PM
It's funny that they complain that there is no equity and lack of services on the east side but when job creators and services come to the east side, they cry of gentrification. I remember the same complaints when the IDEA school was being built in the Montopolis neighborhood.

Yep, that's a classic hypocrisy of the "anti-gentrification" movement. Similar is the idea that gentrification is racist, but by the way, white people aren't allowed to live here.

I do think there is a conflict between affordability and desirability. Austin and Texas in general have been historically undervalued. In my eyes the rise in prices that we are seeing represents a correction of that more than it does some kind of failed policy by the city. Generally speaking the regions of the country that are especially affordable have depressed economies, poor weather, crime problems, etc.

The Ora Houston or PODER strategy of "if we keep this place dumpy, maybe it will stay cheap" isn't rooted in insanity, though it is probably (hopefully) only capable of delaying the inevitable.

urbancore
Nov 2, 2018, 7:01 PM
Yep, that's a classic hypocrisy of the "anti-gentrification" movement. Similar is the idea that gentrification is racist, but by the way, white people aren't allowed to live here.

I do think there is a conflict between affordability and desirability. Austin and Texas in general have been historically undervalued. In my eyes the rise in prices that we are seeing represents a correction of that more than it does some kind of failed policy by the city. Generally speaking the regions of the country that are especially affordable have depressed economies, poor weather, crime problems, etc.

The Ora Houston or PODER strategy of "if we keep this place dumpy, maybe it will stay cheap" isn't rooted in insanity, though it is probably (hopefully) only capable of delaying the inevitable.

well stated. agreed one hundred.

427MM
Nov 3, 2018, 3:34 PM
It's tough for me to see what DOH hopes to achieve here. On one side they call out the NIMBYs who often stand in the way of transit supportive density and community benefits obtained through building more and other the other hand they don't show a willingness to sit at the table and share what they hope to happen should redevelopment occur.

The developments that make up the Ballparks are cheap construction thrown up in the 90's. Pleasant Valley and Riverside is now an amazing area and it doesn't seem feasible to think that these are not going to be redeveloped. What I would hope to see DOH do is work for the people who want to live there and help them obtain better housing, possibly income restricted homes within the redevelopment. I've heard that this single development could constitute over 10% of Del Valle's tax base. Hard to not give that a serious review.

NYC2ATX
Nov 5, 2018, 8:02 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-plans-to-split-hq2-evenly-between-two-cities-1541446552

Just posted this in the HQ2 thread, but I think I should post it here to because honestly, if Austin (likely, along with NoVA,) is to be home to half a second Amazon Headquarters, it will be here. Consider the recent permitting; the location centrally between Downtown, the airport and East Austin, and between 35 and the upgraded 183, and beside the Oracle Campus; the location beside a trunk line of the latest Project Connect, and that initiative's recent progress.

And that all means East Riverside is about to drop like a hot potato :whip:

Jdawgboy
Nov 5, 2018, 9:14 PM
https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-plans-to-split-hq2-evenly-between-two-cities-1541446552

Just posted this in the HQ2 thread, but I think I should post it here to because honestly, if Austin (likely, along with NoVA,) is to be home to half a second Amazon Headquarters, it will be here. Consider the recent permitting; the location centrally between Downtown, the airport and East Austin, and between 35 and the upgraded 183, and beside the Oracle Campus; the location beside a trunk line of the latest Project Connect, and that initiative's recent progress.

And that all means East Riverside is about to drop like a hot potato :whip:

Don't get your hopes up just yet. This doesn't mean Austin will get it by any means.

AustinGoesVertical
Nov 6, 2018, 12:53 AM
This site was indeed one of the ones submitted in Austin’s proposal.

N90
Nov 6, 2018, 1:01 AM
This is frankly a better site than Broadmoor imo

The ATX
Nov 6, 2018, 1:10 AM
There were over 50 sites in Austin's HQ2 proposal. We know nothing about most of them. Project Catalyst is a long term uphill zoning project as is the Southshore/Statesman site. Broadmoor is more or less shovel ready and seems like a more likely location even though I would prefer the other ones. The Robinson Ranch and the soon to be former 3M campus on FM 2222 with 1,000,000 sq ft of office ready space seem like logical choices as well.

urbancore
Nov 6, 2018, 1:37 AM
There were over 50 sites in Austin's HQ2 proposal. We know nothing about most of them. Project Catalyst is a long term uphill zoning project as is the Southshore/Statesman site. Broadmoor is more or less shovel ready and seems like a more likely location even though I would prefer the other ones. The Robinson Ranch and the soon to be former 3M campus on FM 2222 with 1,000,000 sq ft of office ready space seem like logical choices as well.

Sure, that makes sense. But they don’t need everything from the jump. Seems to me, based on the speed of the last 5 years, we could develop Catalyst and/or Statesman site in the next 5 years. The Statesman site has been talked about for 10 years already. I bet they could build and occupy at least one building within 3 years at the Statesman.

Jdawgboy
Nov 6, 2018, 2:59 AM
Sure, that makes sense. But they don’t need everything from the jump. Seems to me, based on the speed of the last 5 years, we could develop Catalyst and/or Statesman site in the next 5 years. The Statesman site has been talked about for 10 years already. I bet they could build and occupy at least one building within 3 years at the Statesman.

Assuming Austin is chosen, both the South Shore District and South Shore Central make better choices due the very centralized location situated between Downtown and the airport. The urban aspect is already in place and the area will only densify going forward.

Robinson Ranch and 3M are way too far out IMO. Broadmore at least is within the city.

chinchaaa
Nov 6, 2018, 6:03 AM
Assuming Austin is chosen, both the South Shore District and South Shore Central make better choices due the very centralized location situated between Downtown and the airport. The urban aspect is already in place and the area will only densify going forward.

Robinson Ranch and 3M are way too far out IMO. Broadmore at least is within the city.

I agree. Amazon is going for a coolness factor. The Domain ain’t it, chief. I’ll be shocked if they’re not downtown or just south of the river.

_Matt
Nov 6, 2018, 5:25 PM
In the last CapMetro update, the new "Pleasant Valley" Navy line was added which provides connectivity N-S along the east side to Riverside plus the Catalyst site. This would provide direct transit access from Catalyst to many residential areas terminating at Mueller.

The presentation indicates this was added "to address equity concerns expressed by the community and the City of Austin".

http://capmetrotx.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=4&ID=3333&MeetingID=1736 (pdf link)
Slide 16-17

AusTxDevelopment
Nov 6, 2018, 9:44 PM
There is a team from Amazon in Austin this week looking at Southeast "creative" office locations, but not very big. They only want about 40,000 square feet. They are also looking at warehouse sites in Round Rock and Georgetown to build on.

The ATX
Nov 6, 2018, 9:45 PM
There is a team from Amazon in Austin this week looking at Southeast "creative" office locations, but not very big. They only want about 40,000 square feet. They are also looking at warehouse sites in Round Rock and Georgetown to build on.

Yay! Participant trophies.

Novacek
Nov 8, 2018, 6:14 PM
Existing Catalyst developer being bought out

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/11/08/affordable-haven-for-austin-artists-nonprofits.html

"The arts district would be part of a much broader mixed-use project Presidium is planning on the East Riverside Drive corridor. The company owns more than 200 acres along the corridor, Wallace said. It also intends to buy out Nimes Real Estate in the 97-acre East Riverside Drive project previously called Project Catalyst that is moving through permitting, he added."

urbancore
Nov 8, 2018, 7:24 PM
Where are the 200 acres Presidium already owns along Riverside Corridor?

mumu
Nov 8, 2018, 10:25 PM
Where are the 200 acres Presidium already owns along Riverside Corridor?

They own several older apartment buildings- Element, Solaris, University Village, and the big shopping center where Emos is. Added to this will be Ballpark Apartments and Town Lake apartments.

Also - Edison (under construction).

This makes them a truly dominant owner in the area that can really shape things.

http://www.presidiumre.com/portfolio/

The ATX
Nov 8, 2018, 10:32 PM
I'm losing interest in this project. All indications are that it will be developed piecemeal over a decade or two. A major project like another Oracle campus or HQ4 could speed it up a little.

The ATX
Nov 9, 2018, 1:57 PM
This is on the agenda at next week's Planning Commission meeting. Here's a map that shows exactly where the 97 acres are.

https://i.imgur.com/boNOUVw.png
http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=310271

mumu
Nov 9, 2018, 4:23 PM
I'm losing interest in this project. All indications are that it will be developed piecemeal over a decade or two. A major project like another Oracle campus or HQ4 could speed it up a little.

A decade or two sounds too long, unless there's a big recession.

This area of Austin is the last one left that's in a prime new urbanist dream type area, that's already semi zoned right, just in need of a bit more height and density and transit. With a rapid bus or light rail between downtown and the airport running on riverside, this area can absorb a huge amount of new office, retail, and residential buildings, while adding relatively little car traffic per capita.

The ATX
Nov 9, 2018, 6:06 PM
A decade or two sounds too long, unless there's a big recession.

This area of Austin is the last one left that's in a prime new urbanist dream type area, that's already semi zoned right, just in need of a bit more height and density and transit. With a rapid bus or light rail between downtown and the airport running on riverside, this area can absorb a huge amount of new office, retail, and residential buildings, while adding relatively little car traffic per capita.

The original developer said this would be developed in three phases over 15 years. If the sale goes through, hopefully the time frame would be shortened.

AusTxDevelopment
Jan 10, 2019, 1:37 AM
New look, new name.

The flipbook has lots more images: https://issuu.com/austincre/docs/riverside_flipbook

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/AusTxDevelopment/Doc2_zpsfpyfh566.jpg

We vs us
Jan 10, 2019, 2:25 AM
So wait. This isn't Project Catalyst, is it? It looks like it's across the street.

AusTxDevelopment
Jan 10, 2019, 2:42 AM
So wait. This isn't Project Catalyst, is it? It looks like it's across the street.

Same project. It's the Catalyst Two site, which is across the street from Catalyst One. Same owner - Presidium, same leasing broker - CBRE, same and similar images and maps in the brochure if you compare the two of them. This is probably their 'phase I' since they said they would build it out in phases.

Edited to add: Presidium submitted this land site as a contender for HQ2, and I imagine they spent a lot of money doing mock-up renderings to show what could be built on these parcels to lure Amazon. They did the work, so why not market it to possibly get another company to lease there. The Catalyst Two site is the smaller one so of course they would start with that.

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w362/AusTxDevelopment/Doc3_zps9sguk6gx.png

mumu
Jan 10, 2019, 9:39 AM
Is this lot going to be the Arts District or 500k sq ft offices?

It's confusing that they were talking about making an eventually permanent "Pop-up" art's district here.

However, this news article explains more:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/an-arts-district-was-supposed-to-pop-up-in-austin-at-the-beginning-of-2019-now-its-been-delayed/269-625874890

more:
https://www.austinchronicle.com/music/2019-01-11/faster-than-sound-pop-goes-the-arts-district/